OT: Covid-19 (Part 31) Alone Again... (Warning post#787)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Didn't check other countries, but in the Dominican. There is a strict lockdown in the country after 9 pm Sunday to Thursday and 7pm Friday and Saturday. However it doesn't apply inside the resort.

From what I read. You basically just wear your mask indoors but don't need to wear it outside and just practice social distancing. The hotels in November probably aren't super busy anyways so should be easy to keep distance from people.
You are no longer required to show a negative test to enter the country. The Punta Cana airport has the breathalyzer test now and they do temperature checks. And until the end of the year, the Dominican Republic covers your covid insurance cost when you are an international guest staying at a resort.
One of my long-time contacts is a lady who owns a travel agency. Spoke to her about 10 days ago; she was explaining the best options for where (Jamaica, Cuba, domestic), what (vacations or special work-staycations), how (health & cancellation insurance), and when (Xmas, 2021). Lots of interesting workarounds and safety protocols being offered, as well as some good deals. She's even started booking cruises for 2021.

The biggest risk is not the location, but the flight.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
hahaha.. dude is maybe borderline! He talks so openly and with conviction. But he's the manager. He's pretty well versed in lots of things. Well traveled. A father lmao. Even 9/11 guy openly says it was an inside job. It's funny cause he says all this matter of fact like. Won't argue or engage anyone that thinks otherwise. He has slogans. Cant force someone to see, they have to seek it. Or something. But even worse than all of this. He's a Bruins fan lmao
Props for thinking your way through the conspiracy pixie dust. Why are intelligent people pulled into these whack job fantasies? I think it's because we need the comfort of believing the world is explainable. When we're scared/disoriented/overwhelmed, our imagination kicks into overdrive to create an answer that gives us back a sense of control. Conspiracies provide the illusion that you know 'The Truth'. It's much more comforting to believe this pandemic is being orchestrated by people than to accept we're up against micro forces we can't see or understand.

Plus, conspiracies are much more fun! They have bad guys, evil agendas, and freakin world domination! That's much more exciting than virology (sorry @Treb ;)). Conspiracies are the movie you can talk about with friends; science/research/nature is the class you have to study for.

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
1,072 new cases in Quebec
2 deaths
no new hospitalizations (565 total)
6 less in ICU (94 total)

A little over 21,900 tests done on Monday.

224 new cases in Montreal

Based on the results, we are at 10% positivity rate for 5 straight days. Something has to give.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 12.19.36 PM.png

Reactions: PhysicX

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
10%? Aren't we testing over 30K?..
Less.

QC's 21 day average is below:

tests_performed - 25,165
tests_analyzed - 25,619

14 day average drops to ~24.4K, 7 day one drops even more - ~23.4K.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just found out Grunman 78 is closing. Man that sucks...loved going there especially during summer, awesome terrace and spot.

Bravo government.

Moishes...L'Entrecote St-Jean..House of Jazz..Bar n Barn..Grunman..

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Just found out Grunman 78 is closing. Man that sucks...loved going there especially during summer, awesome terrace and spot.

Bravo government.

Hospitality industry is done and won't start recovering before 2022. My dad and I are looking at potentially closing down our resto for good if we aren't allowed to open in December.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So it's less than 5%....where does the 10% rate come from?
@CrAzYNiNe / @llamateizer formula to calculate the percentage of daily confirmed goes as such:

Number of new confirmed cases divided by the number of tested (confirmed positive and confirmed negative) for a single day

Plugging in today's numbers we get this:

1,072/(1,072+9,969)*100 = 9.7%

Last five days' percentages:
10.03%
9.78%
10.90%
9.02%
9.71%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@CrAzYNiNe formula to calculate the percentage of daily confirmed goes as such:

Number of new confirmed cases divided by the number of tested (confirmed and negative) for a single day

Plugging in today's numbers we get this:

1,072/(1,072+9,969)*100 = 9.7%

Last five days' percentages:
10.03%
9.78%
10.90%
9.02%
9.71%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We only test 9K daily?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We only test 9K daily?
No, that comes from confirmed negative cases by the government. Look at my table above to see how much the number of confirmed negative cases has grown by today from yesterday.

@CrAzYNiNe / @llamateizer formula only deals with confirmed numbers on both sides per day. Number of tests taken/analyzed released for that day has nothing to do with it.

Confirmed positive cases + confirmed negative tests only amounts to ~1.8M, yet you see ~2.8M under total tests performed. That's where the misunderstanding comes from maybe.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Bravo government.

I loved House of Jazz. What a super cool spot. What a damn shame.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No, that comes from confirmed negative cases by the government. Look at my table above to see how much the number of confirmed negative cases has grown by today from yesterday.

@CrAzYNiNe formula only deals with confirmed numbers on both sides per day. Number of tests taken/analyzed released for that day has nothing to do with it.

Confirmed positive cases + confirmed negative tests only amounts to ~1.8M, yet you see ~2.8M under total tests performed. That's where the misunderstanding comes from maybe.
But doesn't that then make the number invalid as there's still 10K results pending?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I feel sorry for business owners for sure. Especially those that have their soul in their business. Hopefully these people can bounce back.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
But doesn't that then make the number invalid as there's still 10K results pending?
Not to me personally (it's a confirmed % daily; pending/inconclusive don't factor into it), but that's up to one's interpretation. . I never claimed otherwise.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
10%? Aren't we testing over 30K?..

10%?? How'd you get to that number?

1072 cases out of 21902 tests = 4.89%
(Number of tests is from Monday, but can't be that much different)

You can test 100,000 people, but if you only have 10k results a day, and 1000 of those results are positive, it's 10%. Thats my take, look for yourself.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You can test 100,000 people, but if you only have 10k results a day, and 1000 of those results are positive, it's 10%. Thats my take, look for yourself.

Guess it makes more sense, although I don't think it necessarily is a good representation either.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Guess it makes more sense, although I don't think it necessarily is a good representation either.

Also in the 20k or whatever, you have people who are testing multiple times to get that negative result, given they work in a sector that has to have a negative result. They aren't transparent with how many of those are counted in the total number.

So I find it far easier to follow what I know, which is a simple formula of daily positive/positive+negative. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but its far more indicative then taking positive/total number of tests done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad