OT: Covid-19 (Part 29) Sick Again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Why does a bunch of Canadians shout USA, protesting the Canadian government? Was that crazy woman there, the one that Waffle Dave posted to on Twitter pretending to be a physician?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Why does a bunch of Canadians shout USA, protesting the Canadian government? Was that crazy woman there, the one that Waffle Dave posted to on Twitter pretending to be a physician?

How anyone can look at how the USA has handled the pandemic and think to themselves "yeah, that is who Canada should emulate" is completely mind-numbing... that is 'alternative facts' beyond my level of comprehension.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
it's the same across the globe though

Now they feel less alone because there are people like them elsewhere. Just like there were flat-earthers
I insulted an old friend I've found back on fb by comparing his conspiracy theories with flat earthers. He ignore me since. It makes me smile. He was paranoid back in the 80's but not at the level he is today. He's a very lonely man on wealthcare now, sad.

Reactions: ArtPeur

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.07.34 AM.png

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
60 cases in Capitale Nationale. What the hell is going on? I refuse to believe the only explanation is a karaoke night.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
60 cases in Capitale Nationale. What the hell is going on? I refuse to believe the only explanation is a karaoke night.

I think people underestimate when there's a superspreader event. One night of karaoke and like 15 people getting infected may not seem like a lot but these people go around and infect 2-3 people each before they even realize they're sick, and then those infect others. It happens really fast. And the types of people who are going to bars, doing karaoke, etc... are most likely to be the least careful and responsible.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Montreal is holding steady and it seems the big augmentation comes from other region.

So far that seems to be the case. Montreal is doing alright, Monteregie and Laval are also holding steady. Generally these 3 regions provided for 80% of the cases, but now its less than 50%. Looks like some vacationers had Covid and it spread to some regions. Particularly bas-St-Laurent has more than double the total cases in the last 4 days.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am actually pretty confident that this next little spike will end up being ok. I don't think it will be as bad as the initial outbreak because at this point people understand more, they wear masks, they know for the most part not to spread this around. And we are better at testing/tracing too. It will be a test for sure, but I have a lot more confidence this time around compared to back in March/April.

Even a small outbreak in a karaoke bar can spark thousands of cases. I mean we started off with a few dozen cases and within weeks it was 1000 new cases per day. But if we can nip this one early, we can keep things stable and limit the outbreak. Obviously it's not a given but it can be done.

Back when the initial models for the course of the pandemic were coming out, the most common outlook was one large initial outbreak followed by a rapid decrease, and then periodic waves of increases in infection rates at a much smaller scale. This is pretty much exactly what we have been seeing so far. We had a small spike a few months ago, it subsided, now we will have another one, and it too should hopefully subside soon.

I have had a lot of criticism and conservative views towards how things should be handled here but I am glad to admit that things have been following the more optimistic predictions for a while now. I am hopeful that this means our society is just generally good at doing the right thing.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't think we'll reach a state where we have 800 cases a day again. Like WD mentioned, I think people are better prepared.

That said, I still don't feel comfortable going to restos indoors, or even inside my family's homes. I know it's a bit extreme, but I'm not comfortable with the level of risk - especially since my MIL is a nurse and my parents aren't the healthiest folks.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't think we'll reach a state where we have 800 cases a day again. Like WD mentioned, I think people are better prepared.

That said, I still don't feel comfortable going to restos indoors, or even inside my family's homes. I know it's a bit extreme, but I'm not comfortable with the level of risk - especially since my MIL is a nurse and my parents aren't the healthiest folks.

I don't think this is weird or anything like that. I am not really comfortable going into peoples' homes either. I went into my inlaws' place but my MIL has been coming over regularly to watch the baby so I figure at this point the risk is the same. But friends' homes? Nope... Even when I have people over they stay outside and only go in to use the bathroom, and we take a lot of precautions.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

durojean

May 29, 2007

Remember that we were in lockdown for several months and that we currently have a lot of people still working remotely, wearing masks in public, washing hands before entering stores. Not to mention that because it was summer a lot of indoor activity was avoidable and schools are shut.

Anyone who tries to say that COVID is just the flu is just an idiot and dangerous to society.

It’s already 4 times the rate of the flu and we still have 6 months left in the year.

So whenever you hear someone say “they’ve done their research” remember that it’s code for “I went searching for anything on the internet to support my predetermined point of view”

I feel like Covid is a better finisher than the flu. But for the majority of the active population ( under 50 ). It's not a lot much worse.

Reactions: Toene

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I feel like Covid is a better finisher than the flu. But for the majority of the active population ( under 50 ). It's not a lot much worse.
Unfortunately, life isn't Logan's Run. A society is composed of several age groups. We owe responsibility to all age groups. It's very selfish to not care because it doesn't affect your age group.

I'm under 50, but my parents are not. And I would hate to hear that they caught it because of someone else's negligence.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Unfortunately, life isn't Logan's Run. A society is composed of several age groups. We owe responsibility to all age groups. It's very selfish to not care because it doesn't affect your age group.

I'm under 50, but my parents are not. And I would hate to hear that they caught it because of someone else's negligence.

Also, not everyone under 50 is safe either.

- You have had those that had/have cancer and in which chemo has suppressed their immune system.
- You have those with diabetes or cardiovascular diseases.
- You have those with moderate to severe asthma or other chronic respiratory illness.

Saying to yourself, ''oh even if I catch it, I will be fine.'' That may be true but you might pass it on to someone that won't have your luck.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Also, not everyone under 50 is safe either.

- You have had those that had/have cancer and in which chemo has suppressed their immune system.
- You have those with diabetes or cardiovascular diseases.
- You have those with moderate to severe asthma or other chronic respiratory illness.

Saying to yourself, ''oh even if I catch it, I will be fine.'' That may be true but you might pass it on to someone that won't have your luck.

I also think a lot of people fail to appreciate how much modern medicine greatly help to reduce the number of fatalities.

Then you also have the peoples who got covid19, didn't die, but cannot shake off the symptoms MONTHS after infection and the one with permanent organs damage, so death is not the only issue with that crap.

Six months after the WHO declared world pandemic, you would think people would have stopped comparing covid to the seasonal flu.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P

I agree with what you're saying,but we can't forget about the fish, plankton, seagreens, and protein from the sea.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No no... rednecks are only from Alberta (hello me), and Sask. I thought Quebec and Ontario were all progressives and stuff...

Somewhat accurate. It's the standard urban vs rural. In Alberta and Saskatchewan, you have hicks in both urban and rural settings (I lived in Calgary for 3.5 years. They're hicks. Big city dreams with small city mentality). In Ontario and Quebec, you have the standard progressive/liberal base in urban settings, and hicks/hiques in rural settings.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
No no... rednecks are only from Alberta (hello me), and Sask. I thought Quebec and Ontario were all progressives and stuff...
Plenty of them right next door. The real deal too. Can't say one phrase without at least two "criss" and one "tabarnac."
A real pleasure to have a conversation with.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad