OT: Covid-19 (Part 29) Sick Again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But they are starting their second wave just like every one else and are now considering more restrictions and potentially a lockdown. Soon they won't be a reference anymore. I honestly believe by November/December. Most countries will be in a semi lockdown.

They have not yet hit their 2nd wave if you go with the 7 day average. Neighbouring countries are starting theirs, so they should follow soon.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
I don't pretend to be woke and I'm not a danger to the collectivity. I'm definitely not over confident and chose to listen to credible people.

I don't think I'm sitting at the top of Mount Dumbf*** of the D-K effect chart.

I'm sure CHwest feels the same way.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I know a teacher at a high school. There was an outbreak, entire class sent home to isolate for 2 weeks. Teacher of the class told NOT to get tested, NOT to isolate. Justification from management is "you wear a mask so you're not at risk. Sante Quebec says you don't need to get tested or isolate." Forced to come in to work.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I know a teacher at a high school. There was an outbreak, entire class sent home to isolate for 2 weeks. Teacher of the class told NOT to get tested, NOT to isolate. Justification from management is "you wear a mask so you're not at risk. Sante Quebec says you don't need to get tested or isolate." Forced to come in to work.

He/She should give a call to the union and see what they have to say.

durojean

May 29, 2007
The Daily — Provisional data on causes of death, January to April 2019 and January to April 2020

US numbers:
FastStats

This is data from 2017. COVID has already killed over 200,000 in the US over just 6-7 months.

I do wonder about that cause of death thing. A lot of those deaths had comorbidity thing going on with it and they chose to attribute the death to covid. But if those death would be allocated normally, maybe the stats would not look that bad. I mean a lot of people dead because of covid would have died anyway but from other causes.

I don't have the stats but if someone could find them, i'd like to see them. It's a genuine question and I just hope those stats would prove my theory wrong.

Reactions: cajmonkey

durojean

May 29, 2007
People who post numbers like this are trying to cling to some kind of positive. They don't realize that the odds of dying from disease in general is pretty low. The fact remains that COVID is a leading cause of death in most countries and it has only been around for 6 months.

I feel like COVID is like Ovechkin in the slot. If the puck is on his tape... ( if bad health status) . Most of the time, it's a goal. ( It will kill you)

Reactions: cajmonkey

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Thats complete bull. He/she absolutely needs to get tested. Definitely need to contact santé public and the union.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This is me choosing to rant here instead of getting into a pointless debate on Twitter:

It's a shame that after a half year of concrete evidence, we're still dealing with some people's inability to understand or accept facts. For the complainers and deniers -- no, your personal feelings and outlier factoids do not trump the mountain of research and data by highly trained professionals that prove you wrong. No, you don't think for yourself; by ignoring the most credible available information, you've wilfully avoided thinking and opted for fantasyland conspiracies. I don't want to hear any more make-believe paranoia linking this virus to politics, liberty, or constitutional law. What nonsense. Time to get over the sour, itty bitty feelings and do what adults do -- adopt simple, harmless and necessary measures to reduce the very real risks. Just like in a hospital when we put on a mask and gown; just like in a construction zone when we put on a helmet and boots; just like when we stop at a stop sign; just like when we put on seat belt or return our airplane seat to an upright position or put on a shirt & shoes in a restaurant. Just like buying car insurance and not smoking in the grocery store. We accept all these "Just in case" measures because adults understand the value of prevention. Time for those who still don't see it to finally realize their motives have nothing to do with a 50-cent mask, or freedom, or science, or thinking.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I do wonder about that cause of death thing. A lot of those deaths had comorbidity thing going on with it and they chose to attribute the death to covid. But if those death would be allocated normally, maybe the stats would not look that bad. I mean a lot of people dead because of covid would have died anyway but from other causes.

I don't have the stats but if someone could find them, i'd like to see them. It's a genuine question and I just hope those stats would prove my theory wrong.

The comorbidities include things like "being above 65" (16% of Canadians), being overweight (64% of Canadians are overweight), high blood pressure (20% of Canadians), diabetes (10% of Canadians).

Comorbidity does not mean these people were going to die from something else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is me choosing to rant here instead of getting into a pointless debate on Twitter:

It's a shame that after a half year of concrete evidence, we're still dealing with some people's inability to understand or accept facts. For the complainers and deniers -- no, your personal feelings and outlier factoids do not trump the mountain of research and data by highly trained professionals that prove you wrong. No, you don't think for yourself; by ignoring the most credible available information, you've wilfully avoided thinking and opted for fantasyland conspiracies. I don't want to hear any more make-believe paranoia linking this virus to politics, liberty, or constitutional law. What nonsense. Time to get over the sour, itty bitty feelings and do what adults do -- adopt simple, harmless and necessary measures to reduce the very real risks. Just like in a hospital when we put on a mask and gown; just like in a construction zone when we put on a helmet and boots; just like when we stop at a stop sign; just like when we put on seat belt or return our airplane seat to an upright position or put on a shirt & shoes in a restaurant. Just like buying car insurance and not smoking in the grocery store. We accept all these "Just in case" measures because adults understand the value of prevention. Time for those who still don't see it to finally realize their motives have nothing to do with a 50-cent mask, or freedom, or science, or thinking.

Just met someone who thinks it's a conspiracy. She said it was definitely started in Wuhan, but apparently it's from the Americans. The motives she says....''I don't know what the motives are exactly''..:facepalm:
Since when have idiots been so unafraid to speak their minds? The most annoying part in all this is I actually tried to rationalize her points because I figured name calling and mocking would lead to nowhere. Boy was I wrong. It's unreal how stubborn the conspiracists are despite facts being presented.
So f***ing stupid.

Reactions: MXD

durojean

May 29, 2007
The comorbidities include things like "being above 65" (16% of Canadians), being overweight (64% of Canadians are overweight), high blood pressure (20% of Canadians), diabetes (10% of Canadians).

Comorbidity does not mean these people were going to die from something else.

I'd say that 50% of the time you are right.
Nothing is proven, but maybe around 50% of the other time the real reason of the death could be the comorbidity and covid just precipitate or some time not even have an influence on the death of the patient. But I don't think there are any stats on that.

We do know that the death rate is way stronger with older people that younger people. I feel like we will see the real effects on the healthier and younger side of the population with the wave we have right now. Because we seem to find case within the younger population.

The other question is this : Did we find more case with older people in the beginning because only those had real symptoms and then were tested accordingly or really covid did not run rampant in the healthier side of the population in the first go round.

I just feel like right now, we really should amp up securities around older people and let the healthier side like we are right now even if the number of case does augment.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'd say that 50% of the time you are right.
Nothing is proven, but maybe around 50% of the other time the real reason of the death could be the comorbidity and covid just precipitate or some time not even have an influence on the death of the patient. But I don't think there are any stats on that.

We do know that the death rate is way stronger with older people that younger people. I feel like we will see the real effects on the healthier and younger side of the population with the wave we have right now. Because we seem to find case within the younger population.

The other question is this : Did we find more case with older people in the beginning because only those had real symptoms and then were tested accordingly or really covid did not run rampant in the healthier side of the population in the first go round.

I just feel like right now, we really should amp up securities around older people and let the healthier side like we are right now even if the number of case does augment.
who do you think give it to older people ? it's the younger ones, visitors, workers, etc.

Reactions: llamateizer

durojean

May 29, 2007
That's the point. Invest there. Protect there. Make a bubble like the nhl did for all i care. Restrict them not everyone.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I dunno if it's in the work... and it probably is, but I'm surprised that after over 6 months, we don't have test that can give results (almost) instantly, like a pregnancy test. A lot of money are invested in vaccines but they should also invest in better techniques to do test. It be much easier to control the pandemic.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.03.34 AM.png

Reactions: llamateizer

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That's the point. Invest there. Protect there. Make a bubble like the nhl did for all i care. Restrict them not everyone.

I think you’re underestimating the number of people that have a chronic medical condition, or perhaps more importantly, the number of households that include a senior or someone with a medical condition.

good luck with putting a bubble around all of those.

further, you’re misunderstanding the impact of comorbidity on covid patients. Covid can make a non-deadly condition deadly. In other words, patients would not have died had they not had the virus. The death rates are significantly higher.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I dunno if it's in the work... and it probably is, but I'm surprised that after over 6 months, we don't have test that can give results (almost) instantly, like a pregnancy test. A lot of money are invested in vaccines but they should also invest in better techniques to do test. It be much easier to control the pandemic.

there are considerable efforts to improve testing.

you’re referring to an antigen test - like pregnancy or rapid-strep tests. Cheap, easy, 5 minute results.

Last I heard there was one approved in the US. The trouble is, false negative can be as high as 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad