OT: Covid-19 (Part 25) Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The motion of shooting started as soon as the cop saw that suspect pointed the taser on him... The fact that Brooks "missed" his shot is irrelevant and the taser that APD carries has 2 cartridges.

Georgia Law

Once again he was not shot in the back on purpose, he turned his back and because cops are humans they can't react to everything on a dime.

Reasonableness and Reaction Time in Police Use of Force Incidents

The article said the taser had been fired twice and therefore he had no charges left to use.

Also if he thought he was in danger why didn’t the cop just stop pursuing him. If he just stopped he wasn’t in danger. The reason the suspect was shot in the back was because he was running away from him.

And the gun was still in the holster after the taser was fired. He then grabbed the gun and shot him twice and a nearby car with passengers once.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
The article said the taser had been fired twice and therefore he had no charges left to use.

The article in defense of the cop, says that it still had another shot left. Georgia Law

"The 2nd officer chased after him and tried to use his own taser against him, but he didn’t get a good connection.
Brooks then turns, aims the taser at the officer, and fires. Statutorily, this is no different than firing a gun.
(The taser that APD carries has 2 cartridges, so Brooks could have potentially shot the officer twice.)
"

Also if he thought he was in danger why didn’t the cop just stop pursuing him. If he just stopped he wasn’t in danger. The reason the suspect was shot in the back was because he was running away from him.

Because it's his job to stop criminals even if he's in danger, he can't just let them run and he has his gun in case the danger is imminent... He was running away, but attacked the cops, the fact that he was running away change nothing. You say that as if it was an argument. The cop started the shooting motion when he was facing him.

And the gun was still in the holster after the taser was fired. He then grabbed the gun and shot him twice and a nearby car with passengers once.

He reached for his gun as soon as the taser gun was pointed at him... he can't be in perfect sync with the criminal.

I don't think we will agree on something, you think the cop is in the wrong, I say it's not the case, let's agree to disagree.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The cops responded to a call, because Brooks would not move from Wendy's parking lot, once they are at the place, they need to investigate and understand the situation. They bang on the window, but the guy is not responding, is he dead ? Sleeping ? Ill ? Drunk ? The cops were super cordial with him and the suspect was chill too, until they tried to handcuff him.
After they ascertained he wasn't dead or ill, they could have allowed him to call his sister like he was saying he could do. The cop wanted to make an arrest and there was no talking him out of it. That much is obvious from over 30minutes of questioning.

The investigation is part of their job, once they suspect that you are drunk, they need to follow the procedure like they did.
No, they did not catch him drunk driving. They caught him drunk sleeping, in his car, in a parking lot. He was not presenting a threat to anyone and could have been left to call a cab or his sister to pick him up.

How do you handcuff someone by keeping a safe distance ? I'm all for better training, but when the suspect is resisting, it can be really hard control him, sometimes you have 3-4 cops struggling with one suspect, it's actually pretty common.
You are supposed to tell the man he's under arrest, turn around, place his hands behind his back, not immediately grab him and try to forcefully twist his arm behind his back. If he does not comply, you threaten to tase

Sometimes don't matter. This wasn't one of those sometimes. But you know what was? Unjustified police killing which also is pretty common when the suspect is black.

The taser-gun can be lethal and that's the reason it's classified as a firearm in Georgia. It's not a non-lethal arm, it's only less deadly than a gun, it does not mean the same thing. It's carried because it's less deadly than a gun. They used the taser gun on him, but it did not work.
And a gun can be shot and not end up killing someone, just because statistically speaking something is possible does not mean it is intended to be used as such. A taser is not meant as a lethal option, a gun is.

Stop arguing facts, just stop. I already explained to you why cops carry a taser gun. Your opinion on the subject is irrelevant, your cherry picked youtube clips are irrelevant. The taser gun is not meant for lethal use, period, end of discussion. Being obtuse and eristic does not make you right.

They are trained to always be a level above the person they are trying to arrest, as per this ex-officer. When he used the taser gun (a deadly weapon) one cop immediately responded by using his gun.

Stop trying to make a point by saying the taser is lethal, it is not. No matter how many time you repeat it, it won't become a fact.
Electroshock weapon - Wikipedia
An electroshock weapon is an incapacitating weapon. It delivers an electric shock aimed at temporarily disrupting muscle functions and/or inflicting pain without usually causing significant injury.

A TASER device is a long range weapon that incapacitates the target by disrupting voluntary muscular control through the motor nervous system.[2][3]

The same partner who stayed behind and said that he was consussed, because of the punches he received from the criminal ? Think about it from the police officer perspective.
You mean a cop is lying about his condition because of an investigation and possible law suit, color me shocked! It's a pattern in the US and you know it. Stop with the strawman arguments.

I've been in many fist fights in my life and even had a beer bottle cracked on my head and was fine after. You can't get concussed that easily.

Again, you can die from a taser stunt, you can get incapacitated. You don't want that to happen when you let your partner behind you, you have a split second to react and against a guy who is clearly stronger than you, because previously he was able to handle you and your partner.
Again with the same nonsensical argument. It has been explained to you why you're wrong enough times already.

The exception does not make the rule. The taser guy is a NON lethal weapon.

A split second to react using your judgement. The cop's judgement was wrong. That is why they need more training on how to handle this type of situation.

For the umpteenth time, the cop had no reason to fear for his life from a taser gun. So stop with the cop was afraid for his life because of the taser gun argument.

You presume that the cop was not in danger and he did not have to fear for his life as if you can read his mind.
I don't presume anything. I'm stating facts. A taser is not enough for a cop to claim he feared for his life, it is meant to be a non lethal option and I have explained that enough times already. They know that, we know that and you know that.

Your entire argument is predicated on the fact that the cop was afraid for his life because the suspect took his taser gun. That argument has been debunked, dismantled, and proven blatantly wrong, yet you hold on to it and repeat it ad nauseam.

You're just being obtuse and eristic, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Haha!
upload_2020-6-20_19-42-3.png

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Florida's situation is getting critical.

Already 75% ICU bed taken. 4000+ cases today
It's just the beginning

They could be getting REALLY f***ed.
4.1K new cases is a lot. They were hovering between 1 and 1.5K just a week ago.

For the record, if we disregard the 2K day, which was an adjustment, our worse day for new cases was May 1st, with 1.1K. And we got there by a slow rise process, not some crazy spike. Florida is more populated than Québec, but by a factor of about 2.25. Not by a factor of 4.

Also, something arund 13.5% of tests were positive. Probably expected, but that's significantly higher than their reported amount since March (6%)

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
After they ascertained he wasn't dead or ill, they could have allowed him to call his sister like he was saying he could do. The cop wanted to make an arrest and there was no talking him out of it. That much is obvious from over 30minutes of questioning.

No, they did not catch him drunk driving. They caught him drunk sleeping, in his car, in a parking lot. He was not presenting a threat to anyone and could have been left to call a cab or his sister to pick him up.

You are supposed to tell the man he's under arrest, turn around, place his hands behind his back, not immediately grab him and try to forcefully twist his arm behind his back. If he does not comply, you threaten to tase

Sometimes don't matter. This wasn't one of those sometimes. But you know what was? Unjustified police killing which also is pretty common when the suspect is black.

And a gun can be shot and not end up killing someone, just because statistically speaking something is possible does not mean it is intended to be used as such. A taser is not meant as a lethal option, a gun is.

Stop arguing facts, just stop. I already explained to you why cops carry a taser gun. Your opinion on the subject is irrelevant, your cherry picked youtube clips are irrelevant. The taser gun is not meant for lethal use, period, end of discussion. Being obtuse and eristic does not make you right.

Stop trying to make a point by saying the taser is lethal, it is not. No matter how many time you repeat it, it won't become a fact.
Electroshock weapon - Wikipedia

You mean a cop is lying about his condition because of an investigation and possible law suit, color me shocked! It's a pattern in the US and you know it. Stop with the strawman arguments.

I've been in many fist fights in my life and even had a beer bottle cracked on my head and was fine after. You can't get concussed that easily.

Again with the same nonsensical argument. It has been explained to you why you're wrong enough times already.

The exception does not make the rule. The taser guy is a NON lethal weapon.

A split second to react using your judgement. The cop's judgement was wrong. That is why they need more training on how to handle this type of situation.

For the umpteenth time, the cop had no reason to fear for his life from a taser gun. So stop with the cop was afraid for his life because of the taser gun argument.

I don't presume anything. I'm stating facts. A taser is not enough for a cop to claim he feared for his life, it is meant to be a non lethal option and I have explained that enough times already. They know that, we know that and you know that.

Your entire argument is predicated on the fact that the cop was afraid for his life because the suspect took his taser gun. That argument has been debunked, dismantled, and proven blatantly wrong, yet you hold on to it and repeat it ad nauseam.

You're just being obtuse and eristic, pure and simple.
No matter how many times you try to explain things to a rock, all it knows is how to be a rock, it can't be anything else; and you can't argue with a rock. It's pointless and very frustrating.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Also -- just purchased some Ribsteaks today. Around 3 pounds total, 22 dollars.
#foodshortage

Any good place to buy ribsteaks at a reasonable price? Place I normally bought from in past years says they can't offer their angus at low prices anymore -- they're now charging $39 per kilo. They claimed that they had no choice since their usual supplier had closed on account of Covid.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
No matter how many times you try to explain things to a rock, all it knows is how to be a rock, it can't be anything else; and you can't argue with a rock. It's pointless and very frustrating.

Along the same lines, my dad always said, " you can't squeeze water out of a rock", the original expression is " get blood from a stone".

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Any good place to buy ribsteaks at a reasonable price? Place I normally bought from in past years says they can't offer their angus at low prices anymore -- they're now charging $39 per kilo. They claimed that they had no choice since their usual supplier had closed on account of Covid.
Sorry, I don't have any place to recommend, but that reminds me that I'm worried about phase 2 of bankruptcies. After many businesses had issues in the last months, forced to stay closed or to limit sales, now that everything opens again, many places won't have the choice but to raise their prices either for supply issues such as your butcher shop, to try to get back Spring losses or to counter the fact they cannot serve as many customers as before. My girlfriend just had a haircut and while the price was higher (social distancing means less customers at the same time, but the rent stays the same!) the quality went down significantly. Might be hard to work with a face shield and with your customer wearing a mask, but if the value goes down, it's tough to support those businesses. Next appointment is in October (!), hopefully it will be better by then.

I wonder about the long-term effect on prices, they have to charge more, but (most) salaries did not go up during this crisis.

I'm in the team of health first, economy second, but yeah, seems like our wallets might feel the effects from COVID-19 for a long time.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Sorry, I don't have any place to recommend, but that reminds me that I'm worried about phase 2 of bankruptcies. After many businesses had issues in the last months, forced to stay closed or to limit sales, now that everything opens again, many places won't have the choice but to raise their prices either for supply issues such as your butcher shop, to try to get back Spring losses or to counter the fact they cannot serve as many customers as before. My girlfriend just had a haircut and while the price was higher (social distancing means less customers at the same time, but the rent stays the same!) the quality went down significantly. Might be hard to work with a face shield and with your customer wearing a mask, but if the value goes down, it's tough to support those businesses. Next appointment is in October (!), hopefully it will be better by then.

I wonder about the long-term effect on prices, they have to charge more, but (most) salaries did not go up during this crisis.

I'm in the team of health first, economy second, but yeah, seems like our wallets might feel the effects from COVID-19 for a long time.

If your supplier raises prices, you'll have to raise prices, but in a competitive world it will be very difficult to raise prices in order to recoup prior spring losses, those are gone for good. Cost of goods are rising not only due to supply issues, but also exchange rates, and the US dollar is very strong.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Good Ol Métro.
It's AA, but still.

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
They didn't have to arrest him. Just like they don't have to give you a ticket and can give you a pass, and a lot of them have done that.

Back when I was 20 my buddy was rolling a joint at a park when a cop jumped out of the bushes to catch him in the act. My buddy told him listen we're not hurting anybody or bad boys and he can just get rid of the little weed he had so he threw the bud in the bushes. The cop flipped his shit, slapped the handcuffs on my friend and called for back up. A police car came inside the park, they put my friend in the back seat, and the cop went looking for the small weed bud he threw, which they found.
They ended up releasing him but charged him for possession. He went to court a few months later and the judge borderline laughed when he saw how my buddy was in there for possessing .23g of weed. He thought it was ridiculous.

Flip over to my experience, I was smoking a joint inside the entrance of the metro in winter one day because it was -40 outside. A cop came up from staircase, told me to give him the joint, he threw it outside, tell me not to do that again and left.
I got leniency again from cops when I was drunk in public trespassing. They didn't charge me with anything.

So no, they didn't ''have'' to arrest him, especially considering he was no longer a threat...they could have given him a pass. Not blaming them for not doing it, but just saying, they didn't have to arrest.

The cop was not in danger and he had no reason to fear for his life. The man was running away.
The cop actually put other people's lives at risk by firing his weapon as Brooks was running.

I fell asleep as a 15 year old on a bench in the town square of my home town, the cops gave me a ride home without notifying my parents. I also remember a nice cop in Forrest Grove who gave me a call at 11:50 PM and told me to pick up my 14 year old son who had been a passenger in a car where weed had been smoked that had been stopped for one of the rear end lights not working.

Back in my 20s I was a rock musician, had longish hair, drove an old car. Not surprisingly, I got pulled over a few times, asked for ID, ticketed maybe four or five times for moving violations. Even though I was pissed at having to pay tickets I was always polite and calm, and never experienced anything worse than an occasional pissy attitude and a useless ticket for a harmless offence.

Cut to modern times, about six months ago my car broke down in the middle of the street. Stopped dead. I called CAA, turned my hazards on, then walked to a nearby bakery to grab a snack while I waited. Walked back to meet the CAA truck and saw a police car with its lights on, and a cop writing up my car. Shit. Walked up to the guy and explained the situation, he looks at me and says, "You seem like a good guy so I won't give you a ticket. Next time don't leave your car unattended". Wondered what constituted a 'good guy' in his eyes. He ran my plate, so part of it's a clean record, part of it's sympathy on a cold day, and maybe part was me being a middle age white guy. Who knows. I thanked him and he drove off.

Would he have been as nice to me as a 20-year-old, or me with different skin colour? I'd like to think he would, but who knows. It obviously helps not being nervous around authority, which creates its own vibe which people pick up on. Of course, you can't help how you react, and cops can sniff out nervousness, even if the person has done nothing wrong. I'd guess bad body language is probably responsible for more bad outcomes than skin colour. And yeah, to an extent it's a vicious cycle.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
On Jake Tapper's show White House Advisor Peter Navarro says the orange one was only joking when he said at the half-empty rally he wished they'd slow down the testing. He also implied China may have purposely sent hundreds of thousands of Chinese citizens to The US to infect the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad