OT: Covid-19 (Part 22) Open the door...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hve never done landscaping and have zero experience. I guess it might have to be something else. It could even be a Tim Hortons 1000$ monthly stint for all I care.
If you don't mind crappy jobs, then you'll probably be able to find jobs at grocery shops, Rona/Lowe's posted a hiring ad on LinkedIn too.

The tricky part is finding a good job...

Reactions: Holystik

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The big concern for me is public transit, and large office buildings reopening downtown. Elevators and public restrooms will be difficult situations. I mean PVM is constantly packed all day from 7 to 7, elevators all full the whole time.
A lot of companies are going to keep people at home though. Businesses found out people can be just as productive, if not even more, from home. That would save them a lot of cost.
My buddy works for a bank in one of those super busy buildings downtown, he was already told offices aren't opening before September.
Companies that have kept working perfectly fine from home...they have no incentives in making all their staff come back to work. They could also break down office hours where half come in the morning, half in afternoon, and work from home after. I'm sure they'll plan accordingly.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
A lot of companies are going to keep people at home though. Businesses found out people can be just as productive, if not even more, from home. That would save them a lot of cost.
My buddy works for a bank in one of those super busy buildings downtown, he was already told offices aren't opening before September.
Companies that have kept working perfectly fine from home...they have no incentives in making all their staff come back to work. They could also break down office hours where half come in the morning, half in afternoon, and work from home after. I'm sure they'll plan accordingly.

Yeah for sure, it's going to change downtown culture a lot. Real estate and restaurants/bars downtown are going to take a huge hit, I think. People will prefer neighborhood establishments like in St Henri over places downtown, since the main reason people went out downtown was due to proximity to their work. In Chicago, for example, downtown is totally deserted after 5 pm. Everything closes, even the bars and restaurants. It's totally dead. But neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are hopping till 3 am every night.

I have already been working from home for the last year, since my company is 100% digital and while we have once of those fancy tech offices in the old port with hammocks and ping pong and beer and bean bag chairs and all that, I would say 90% of the office worked from home at least once a week. Now, we are all doing it, and it will continue. Our lease will be up soon, I suspect we are going to downsize a bit.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
So movie theaters opening for St-Jean but no words on bars and restos yet?
Looking like most things will be open by July.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't know what to believe anymore, every day there is a new study overturning or confirming the benefits of "l’#hydroxychloroquine

Want your mind blown. Search twitter for #lancetgate.

There is a conspiracy theory that the Lancet was duped by that big study and the company that had this database is basically a fraud and the database doesn't exist.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Where is this? My 20-year-old son's looking for work.

STM hiring students – The STM is looking to hire students full-time for all three shifts; day, evening or night shift. The pay for the job will be $29.19 per hour.

All applicants must be a full-time student for the winter of 2020 semester in schools approved by the Ministry of Education. You must be at least 16 years of age, completed secondary 4, have prior work experience.

STM hiring students to clean Metro and buses pay is huge

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Notice how all this talk about big crowds and spreading the virus and stay at home just evaporated the minute these protests started? No one is talking about social distancing anymore.

We had our little protest and riot last night. Haven't seen if the protestors are COVIDIOTS or not. Wondering what the reaction is.

Just thinking about the posters on here the last few weeks worried about seeing their buddy or stepping outside the house. Saying we need more lock downs the virus is going to get out of control. And then we have a nice gathering of 100's of people.

If people feel save enough from COVID to go protest time to send kids to school and everyone else back to work.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What does this mean?

USA goes from memorial day people at Ozarks and people protesting to work are murders, to go out and protest in the 1000's who cares about Corona.

Now these riots are spreading to montreal. WE had one last night, steve's music store was attacked.

We had a peaceful protest as well.

If people can go out and protest and the virus isn't a danger and we need to stay home and not even see our parents or GF's, then guess what kids can go to school and we can go back to work.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Notice how all this talk about big crowds and spreading the virus and stay at home just evaporated the minute these protests started? No one is talking about social distancing anymore.

We had our little protest and riot last night. Haven't seen if the protestors are COVIDIOTS or not. Wondering what the reaction is.

Just thinking about the posters on here the last few weeks worried about seeing their buddy or stepping outside the house. Saying we need more lock downs the virus is going to get out of control. And then we have a nice gathering of 100's of people.

If people feel save enough from COVID to go protest time to send kids to school and everyone else back to work.

I mean, this is an evolving situation. We learn more about it every day. Keep in mind it was not long ago that we saw absolute insanity in Italy, Spain, later just a few hours away in NYC. There were mass graves in central park! I mean think about that for a minute... There are a lot of people that will turn around and say "see, I told you this was just a flu bro!" but there were MASS GRAVES IN NYC. Don't tell me you ever expected to see something like that in your lifetime. We knew, and still know, very little about this virus except that several regions that were not prepared and not careful got totally hammered. At this point it seems like some places simply get hit harder than others. Not really sure why, there are many factors. People were cautious and careful because we needed to be, and to a certain extent we still do. Likely we are faring well BECAUSE we were so prudent. And frankly, we still don't know much so we still do need to be prudent, though at least it is looking like we avoided an NYC situation here thankfully.

And to be honest, these protests and this moment in history is as important to the future of our society as dealing with COVID effectively. I know the mods don't want us talking about this stuff so I won't go further than that but this is a turning point.

Reactions: Toews19

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Nobody argued COVID will be the one cause above all else to consider. What happened to George Floyd was the straw that broke the camel's back. Enough if enough. The circumstances under which Floyd died makes this another King incident. 10 minutes the cop kneeled on his throat...pleading and begging to breath, crying for him mom, with other cops around doing nothing, all of it captured through multiple different cameras and plastered all over the news/internet/social media...

Ya, so f*** COVID. This is even more important.

Did COVID spread yesterday during these protests? I guess we will find out in a week or two.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Want your mind blown. Search twitter for #lancetgate.

There is a conspiracy theory that the Lancet was duped by that big study and the company that had this database is basically a fraud and the database doesn't exist.

Yeah I saw that, what a BS study... If it's true, It's criminal.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
USA goes from memorial day people at Ozarks and people protesting to work are murders, to go out and protest in the 1000's who cares about Corona.

Now these riots are spreading to montreal. WE had one last night, steve's music store was attacked.

We had a peaceful protest as well.

If people can go out and protest and the virus isn't a danger and we need to stay home and not even see our parents or GF's, then guess what kids can go to school and we can go back to work.

Yea, but who said people can go out and protest and ignore social distancing, not the health authorities. Today Limbaugh told his listeners the virus is gone, open everything up.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Was coming down St-Denis around 11 pm, a bit intoxicated and too fast for the area. New bike, less than 2 days old. Got cut off by cab turning left on Emery, hit his back bumper with my right pedal and smashed the side of my head on the trunk before hitting the pavement. I wear toe-clips so I was kinda locked in. My right ear drum got pushed inward from the air pressure I guess. Also dislocated a shoulder, but the helmet wouldn't have helped there. It took a good two years for my hearing to return to normal, but I have less range in it even today. If I blow softly with my nose pinched, I can hear it pop out and highs become clearer, but it pops back in after about 5 seconds.

That is horrible. I made contact with a car once while not being in a car. It was -12 C and we found a giant straw boot (see pic). People selling raffle tickets used giant versions where they could put their regular boots inside. We egged each other on to drive main street downtown with that boot on during rush hours (on mopeds). I pulled the longest straw and went on my way. I was 3/5 done when a car came from the right, she had the right of way and when I tried to brake the boot was too large and I couldn't hit the foot brake and the car hit me on the right straight at my giant boot. I cracked a bone in the foot but felt stupid and continued not showing that I was in pain. At the end of main street there was a little park. I rolled around on the ground swearing and it hurt like hell. Dad took me to the ER later and asked what I had done and I said that we played soccer on ice with a tennis ball and that I slipped and while slipping trying to correct the fall and fell on my foot.

d9d6f31e5378f380a2cd93324c095164.jpg

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yeah I saw that, what a BS study... If it's true, It's criminal.

The evidence looks convincing, but I have a huge problem believing that the lancet would commit a fraud like that, or be stupid enough to fall for one.

Just seems to far fetch to be true but if so ya its insanity.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
The evidence looks convincing, but I have a huge problem believing that the lancet would commit a fraud like that, or be stupid enough to fall for one.

Just seems to far fetch to be true but if so ya its insanity.

It's what happens when the medical and scientific community in the US becomes partisan and activist.

Check out the editorial (unsigned) that the Lancet put out a few weeks ago:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31140-5/fulltext

I don't think the Lancet was complicit with the fraud...but they did publish something they wanted to believe was true, without doing the necessary steps to make sure it was properly peer reviewed and vetted. It's an example of extremely strong confirmation bias and the politicization of academia. Of course, once it came out the media also had no problem blasting it all over the internet and news to also run something that runs counter to their political enemy.

Just another example of the rampant polarization occurring in nearly all facets of American life. Unfortunately, this type is extremely detrimental because it literally affects people's lives - not only did it contribute to the banning of HCL in some countries, but also the halting of clinical trials (that are actually proper controlled studies that will help us understand the real science behind the efficacy of the drug), and potentially, directly affected whether certain individuals infected with coronavirus die or not.

It's pretty sad and crazy stuff. It's certainly not science that's for damn sure.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Now that I got laidoff, I will be hunting today for a part time job. Since CERB is only 2K$, I am gonna need to top it off with the maximum earnings allowed of 1K$ extra. Anyone has any suggestions of what I could do?

The peculiar thing is I cannot look for a ok/good paying job as It would bust the 1K$ monthly maximum allowed with CERB even if part time.

I would be all for getting a new full time job and ditch CERB but it wouldn't be fair for the company who trains me, to then leave them and go back to my original job.

What annoys me is that I don't know when I will be recalled. It could be from 2 months to 10 months.

Suggestions?
If you can stomach it... Quebec gov. seems pretty desperate for workers in CHSLDs (incl. part-time). I think pay is around $21/hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad