OT: Covid-19 (Part 21) Come Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I hear you, but it doesn't add up. You can't just assume a bunch of people who feel fine are really 'sick' unless you test them. And even if you do test all those 'healthy' people and find asymptomatic carriers among them, how do you determine that they've been carrying it for weeks?

"Asymptomatic" seems to be the flexible boogeyman we use to explain all the stuff we don't know yet.
What happened was - there were several asymptomatic carriers that were in self (family)-isolation for a prolonged period of time and ended up infecting others once they went back to work. Those that they infected were not asymptomatic at all. Hence the new outbreak. It's real and it's happening if you care to Google it.

You also have to understand that when China implemented their lockdown it was not akin to ours. People were literally not allowed outside of their houses, in certain hot zones for weeks at a time.

And it was the case in the city I am speaking of. The question that arises is... how is it possible for people to have been carrying the virus for this long and infect the others once the lockdown was lifted?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He's not even though.

There is plenty to back up him being an asshole, at least back in the day. And he was very very cut throat as a business man you can't deny that. But a lot of people who get to the top of an industry are that way. Its just the nature of success often times you have to step over others and put feelings aside.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Maybe, but I don't think it's specific to a country. Most of these conspiracies are free-floating rants coming from random people on the internet who have too much time and anger.

Well, i'll get my tinfoil hat for that one….since i have my own theory about this.

On twitter, i found out that many bots are pushing many theory. Those theory seems to be aim at the US more than anything.
It's not a big Russians magnat or rich Chinese people involve in those theories….mostly always an American.

Many countries in the past use the social platform to divide the US and it still seem to be the case. I see an economic war going on right now.

Longer this goes in the US, better eastern country are doing economically. The more divided the US are, longer this crisis will last there and big money investments will go elsewhere. That's one reason China is hiding some facts and that's the reason Trump is going nuts about opening the economy back despites the advices of his scientist and that's why Trump keep lashing out at China.

The US are doing the same thing with tons of theories about China, 5G and what not. They'll do whatever they can to make China look like the bad guy.

That economic war is nothing new and other countries trying destabilize the US is nothing new either.
The same thing happened in the last presidential election in the US, tons of conspiracy theories float around and now we know that many of them were promoted by other countries.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There is plenty to back up him being an asshole, at least back in the day. And he was very very cut throat as a business man you can't deny that. But a lot of people who get to the top of an industry are that way. Its just the nature of success often times you have to step over others and put feelings aside.

He is very different from his early MS days. He's a totally different person.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Basically, the virus is about selling Gates' vaccine to the world or something like that.
You know, Bill Gates and his group (of all people) did this to make money…..and controlled the population by putting chips in the vaccine.

Don't forget the other bogey man - Soros, the elitists etc. It was posted here a couple of weeks ago by someone about Bill Gates. So ridiculous.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
How are they on the dinodebino fright scale which will be used henceforth for all our entomologist posts? :) I mean it can be used as the equivalent of the Scoville scale for spicy chili peppers.
Not as high as the killer hornet story and the humoungous centipede EATING out a rat....But much worse than my feather-like centipedes at home.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So Hong Kong went into another lockdown…..and they have less than 1064 cases overall….and you keep using Hong Kong as an example to follow and you don't see the problem here. We are adding more cases every 2 days but advocating everything is fine and we're doing the right thing.

But i'm not advocating to stay lockdown. I'm advocating to be smarter while opening up.
Nobody is suggesting everything is fine. There are multiple realities we need to address and staying locked in is simply no longer a realistic plan. It was never a sustainable plan, it was never about getting cases below a certain mark, it was put in place to flatten the curve and not completely overwhelm our health care facilities. This has been achieved, so time to move to the next step.

Government should make mask mandatory for everyone and until they are ready to do that, we're not ready to open safely unless people do it on their own and i mean 100% of the people….like in Hong Kong. They should have make it mandatory 8 weeks ago.

How masks helped Hong Kong control the coronavirus
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21262273/coronavirus-hong-kong-masks-deaths-new-york
They should, I've been saying it from the first day, but they won't because of sociopolitical issues so you can forget about this. Best thing to do is encourage all of our surroundings to wear some.

Fearing another lockdown or fearing another great depression is the same thing cause another lockdown will probably brought the great depression you fear.
You don't want to risk getting there but another lockdown will actually probably get you there.....and we're not Hong Kong, it won't only be another two weeks....we can't even dropped our numbers of cases after 8 weeks of lockdown and it won't be any different if we do the same thing again unless we go into a full real lockdown which again will results in another blow to the economy.
No not exactly. If we keep things shut, we are certainly going to head into a great depression. Some experts believe we are already there. It's important to get people back to work and spending more.
So..keep things shut...guaranteed another great depression, if not worse.
Open things up, ya, probably will see an increase in cases and perhaps even some roll back of certain businesses, but it won't necessarily require a full on lockdown again. You just don't know this, unlike the certainty of the economy going completely in the crapper if we don't open.

So ya, there is a big difference.
I agree with you on the basics that we absolutely need to open up for the economy to roll cause without it, our healthcare system will collapse anyway (cause it still cost a shitload of money). But i won't hide my head in the sands saying everything is all right while it's not.

Like you, i want to go back to work, i want to see my friends and family and i want to go back spending an hour or two here shitting on Bergevin's head instead of talking about this shit but i want to stay that way.
Nobody is saying everything is alright. People are just willing to risk living with the virus while being cautious and with measures in place instead of remaining enclosed at home any longer and risking a complete economical collapse.

Remaining closed is simply not an option anymore.

I also agree that there's no book on this….but we have example to follow and we're not doing it.
It's all about finding a delicate balance between health protection, the prevention of economic and social risks.
We are though. You just want more strict measures. They are strongly advising people to wear masks, you and I both would rather they made it mandatory, but at least they're showing up at their pressers and making it a point to constantly repeat the use of masks. The Federal government is doing the same.
There is a distancing to keep apart. Limited store capacities are put in place along with along with disinfectant.

I went to shop at Levi's and Sports Experts in Saint Sauveur. They ask you what you're shopping for at the store entrance while you wash your hands. They assign you a clerk who helps and serves you, at Levi's you're not even allowed to touch the clothes. There's also plexiglass at the counter. They don't accept cash and disinfect the ATM terminal after every use.
Businesses are coming up with strategies to operate safely. It's in their best interest to do so anyways as it's a great marketing strategy to show how important the safety of customers is a priority.

So yes, things are not operating as if nothing happened and it's way way way safer to be out now than it was in March.

Honestly, they would make the masks mandatory and i think it could make a world of difference.
I would also put a limit the number of people in stores and it wouldn't be to the businesses themselves.
I would also put a very agressive testing, tracing and isolation system in place.
But just the mask….i would be all right.
I mean, they're pretty much doing that already man as I mentioned above. Businesses are not reopening as if nothing happened.

Just for example....last week or two weeks ago, a daycare had a case but was only inform 4 days later.
That doesn't work, that's not a viable way to go. They reopen schools and the teachers had to beg the government to have
some PPE, it's stupid. Look what kids going to schools look like in Taiwan.

file-20200504-83736-4s76o2.jpg

They have a plan in place, they have strong measures in place and it's working.

Here....we don't have a single freaking clue. No masks, no temperature check, no plan in place if they had positive case.
One positive test in Gaspé, they closed the school and started testing the close contact
One positive test in Chicoutimi, no closing but people around will be tested and are asked to self-isolate
Two positive in Trois-rivieres, no closing, no one will be tested or isolated unless they showed symptoms

That's yesterday.
3 incidents of positive coronavirus in our schools, 3 different responses.
We must be smarter than that and we must ask our government to be smarter and have plans in place for every situation.

As I said, there's no book on this. It will be a trial and error situation and more cases are surely to pop up. I'm fine with this so long as they learn.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Again this tells us nothing. So many reports coming out with no research and no peer review. Like the report a couple of weeks ago saying the virus mutated and is more contagious. Well it was peer reviewed and found to have many flaws.
I never drew any conclusions from what I posted earlier. Nor did I say I was an expert and had all the facts about it. I represented what I heard and added my opinion on it.

Yet you felt it was necessary to jump my throat for some reason I think that fact speaks more about you than me, but I could be wrong.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I never drew any conclusions from what I posted earlier. Nor did I say I was an expert and had all the facts about it. I represented what I heard and added my opinion on it.

Yet you felt it was necessary to jump my throat for some reason I think that fact peaks more about you than me, but I could be wrong.

No, I am sick and tired of people promoting things with no real evidence. That is a big problem with this pandemic. Everyone reads a random article or hears a story from someone and all of a sudden it becomes a fact about the virus.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again this tells us nothing. So many reports coming out with no research and no peer review. Like the report a couple of weeks ago saying the virus mutated and is more contagious. Well it was peer reviewed and found to have many flaws.
Right and if I recall correctly, there's another study showing the opposite. The virus actually takes a lot of time or conditions to mutate.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
No, I am sick and tired of people promoting things with no real evidence. That is a big problem with this pandemic. Everyone reads a random article or hears a story from someone and all of a sudden it becomes a fact about the virus.
I honestly hate to reverse the argument here, but this is exactly what got a rise out of you in the first place.

My OP read:

"What I'm hearing from people I know in China doesn't sound good."

No hard feelings though, I understand everyone's on edge these trying times. Let's move on if you so wish.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What happened was - there were several asymptomatic carriers that were in self (family)-isolation for a prolonged period of time and ended up infecting others once they went back to work. Those that they infected were not asymptomatic at all. Hence the new outbreak. It's real and it's happening if you care to Google it.

You also have to understand that when China implemented their lockdown it was not akin to ours. People were literally not allowed outside of their houses, in certain hot zones for weeks at a time.

And it was the case in the city I am speaking of. The question that arises is... how is it possible for people to have been carrying the virus for this long and infect the others once the lockdown was lifted?
It probably isn't, we simply don't have a lot of info on the matter.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nobody is suggesting everything is fine. There are multiple realities we need to address and staying locked in is simply no longer a realistic plan. It was never a sustainable plan, it was never about getting cases below a certain mark, it was put in place to flatten the curve and not completely overwhelm our health care facilities. This has been achieved, so time to move to the next step.

They should, I've been saying it from the first day, but they won't because of sociopolitical issues so you can forget about this. Best thing to do is encourage all of our surroundings to wear some.

No not exactly. If we keep things shut, we are certainly going to head into a great depression. Some experts believe we are already there. It's important to get people back to work and spending more.
So..keep things shut...guaranteed another great depression, if not worse.
Open things up, ya, probably will see an increase in cases and perhaps even some roll back of certain businesses, but it won't necessarily require a full on lockdown again. You just don't know this, unlike the certainty of the economy going completely in the crapper if we don't open.

So ya, there is a big difference.

Nobody is saying everything is alright. People are just willing to risk living with the virus while being cautious and with measures in place instead of remaining enclosed at home any longer and risking a complete economical collapse.

Remaining closed is simply not an option anymore.

We are though. You just want more strict measures. They are strongly advising people to wear masks, you and I both would rather they made it mandatory, but at least they're showing up at their pressers and making it a point to constantly repeat the use of masks. The Federal government is doing the same.
There is a distancing to keep apart. Limited store capacities are put in place along with along with disinfectant.

I went to shop at Levi's and Sports Experts in Saint Sauveur. They ask you what you're shopping for at the store entrance while you wash your hands. They assign you a clerk who helps and serves you, at Levi's you're not even allowed to touch the clothes. There's also plexiglass at the counter. They don't accept cash and disinfect the ATM terminal after every use.
Businesses are coming up with strategies to operate safely. It's in their best interest to do so anyways as it's a great marketing strategy to show how important the safety of customers is a priority.

So yes, things are not operating as if nothing happened and it's way way way safer to be out now than it was in March.

I mean, they're pretty much doing that already man as I mentioned above. Businesses are not reopening as if nothing happened.

As I said, there's no book on this. It will be a trial and error situation and more cases are surely to pop up. I'm fine with this so long as they learn.

I don't know why you keep repeating that remaining close is not an option since i've agreed with you multiple times from the beginning.

Horracio said it again today, if we f***ed up, we're going to close again and he even said that it will even be harder than it was before…..so without the measures we talked about, it's all about the good faith of the people respecting the advices. That's where i have a problem cause they are not even doing it right now. Even in the confinement they didn't listened (big reason why we're one of the rare place in the world unable to drop our numbers of daily cases)

Right now i'm seeing 30% who cares and respect the rules by the letter.
I'm also seeing 30% who simply don't give a shit.
There's 20% who will do half of what's needed
There's 20% who will always do the opposite just to make a point (Theorist, nuts and political freaks)

I know businesses are doing everything they can but if their customers and their employees don't masks....it won't be enough.
A microbiologist from Hong Kong said that the best way to protect ourselves from the virus spreading is the mask.....well, many study and country agree on this: Monsieur Legault, qu’attendez-vous?

In the end i want the same thing as you do but i'm not on board with leaving the faith of this experiment in the hands of the personal discipline of the people. We'll see in the next few days if the masks campaign worked, right now it doesn't cause i don't even see 50% of the people wearing it.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Don't forget the other bogey man - Soros, the elitists etc. It was posted here a couple of weeks ago by someone about Bill Gates. So ridiculous.
Hillary, Obama, Comey, Mueller, Soros and now Gates :laugh:

funny how there's always a big bad boogeyman in those narratives, but it shifts around over time... iT's A dEeP sTatE cOnSpiRaCy, wAkE Up sHeEpLe :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad