OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
TN vax rate is lagging many States. Not surprising. This is a red state where many distrust the motives of our government institutions, local and national. More people would get vaxed if the masking and other restrictions were lifted once they're vaxed. The combo of the J&J pause, and the reality of a post-vax restrictive world that resembles the pre-vax restrictive world, has people saying "why bother". The easy answer is, "because it'll be less likely you'll get Covid", but the mistrust runs deep, whether you like it or not.

When I hear stories about the 63-year-old man who caught the flu, and then it got worse, I bet he has a vitamin D deficiency, among other things. 80% of people hospitalized with Covid had a D deficiency. It's such an easy method to lesson the chance of getting sick, or if you get sick ,lessen the chance to getting seriously sick. It's not an either / or. Please TN, get vaxed, and take responsibility to strengthen your immune system. If you're healthy, you won't get less-healthy people sick. For those who look at masking as an honor toward others, so is strengthening your immune system.

I can't lie. That UFC 261 crowd Saturday night was awesome. I know. Irresponsible, reckless, super-spreader. I pray there are no adverse health results because we need more of it. I never thought I'd miss having a beer spilled on me by the drunk guy next to me. Memories.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If we could trust everyone to be honest they probably could take off their masks as soon as they were vaccinated. But since we cant trust people, we have to wait for the case numbers to come down enough to know we have this thing on the run.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Until they tell people they can live life with no restrictions after taking the vaccine they are going to have a hard time pushing the number higher.

I can tell you the first thing out of people's mouths I'm around is pretty a variation of the same, " why get the vaccine if I gotta keep doing the same things? What's the point? "

People don't want to hear about doing things for others, they don't give a damn. That is not a good enough reason when you don't trust the medical community nor the government. I know that is a huge issue in the African-American community and I can't really blame them.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Until they tell people they can live life with no restrictions after taking the vaccine they are going to have a hard time pushing the number higher.

I can tell you the first thing out of people's mouths I'm around is pretty a variation of the same, " why get the vaccine if I gotta keep doing the same things? What's the point? "

People don't want to hear about doing things for others, they don't give a damn. That is not a good enough reason when you don't trust the medical community nor the government. I know that is a huge issue in the African-American community and I can't really blame them.

And of course the conundrum this illogical line of thought creates is... it wont be safe to lift all restrictions until cases are low and stay low, but cases wont get that low unless everyone gets vaccinated...

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
And of course the conundrum this illogical line of thought creates is... it wont be safe to lift all restrictions until cases are low and stay low, but cases wont get that low unless everyone gets vaccinated...

The problem is you're looking it from the viewpoint of someone who agrees that the risk of Covid is high. At this point if someone hasn't already gotten the first dose of the vaccine they most likely don't think Covid is that big of a risk at least relative to the risks of the vaccines. In that case you either need to convince them that the risks of Covid are higher than they think (unlikely at this point imo), convince them the vaccine is safer than they think, or that there is some other benefit for them to get the vaccine like life getting back to normal.

The vast majority of the messaging around vaccines seems geared towards convincing people who are already convinced to get the vaccine to get the vaccines. It's pretty clear to me that the current messaging strategy isn't going to work so the public health agencies need to figure out a better way to change peoples minds. For instance, does it really make sense to have Dr. Fauci still be one of the most prominent public facing government figures with respect to Covid when large swaths of the population including those you are most trying to convince to change their mind don't trust him? I think they need to give concrete metrics for when things reopen and emphasize that the fastest way to meet those metrics is to get vaccinated and a lot of people would go get their shots. I also like West Virginia's plan to give some sort of compensation to come get a vaccine.

There's also the fact that there is a pretty large overlap between those who don't want to get the vaccine and those who don't follow other guidelines.

A couple of related tweets that I found painfully true:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The only way left to sell it to the hesitant is to try to make them understand that if they ever want the world to go back to "normal" we need a high vaccination rate

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The only way left to sell it to the hesitant is to try to make them understand that if they ever want the world to go back to "normal" we need a high vaccination rate
Well they need a different approach then because coming out today and acting like you were lifting a restriction by not needing to wear masks outdoors is laughable. No one was wearing the dang things outdoors to begin with. It's just makes everyone involved look stupid.

At this point Fauci needs to go home with his double masks and stay there. He's done more harm than good over the last year. He shot himself in the foot once people found out he was telling people not to wear masks at the start just so they could keep the mask supply from getting worse than it was.

It doesn't matter how good something may be if the message is coming from someone those people don't trust.

Reactions: predfan98

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well they need a different approach then because coming out today and acting like you were lifting a restriction by not needing to wear masks outdoors is laughable. No one was wearing the dang things outdoors to begin with. It's just makes everyone involved look stupid.

At this point Fauci needs to go home with his double masks and stay there. He's done more harm than good over the last year. He shot himself in the foot once people found out he was telling people not to wear masks at the start just so they could keep the mask supply from getting worse than it was.

It doesn't matter how good something may be if the message is coming from someone those people don't trust.

There is only one segment of the public that doesnt trust Fauci. And you know who they do trust... so let's dont go there.

Point is, get your f***ing shots or deal with another winter of lockdowns. It's that simple.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There is only one segment of the public that doesnt trust Fauci. And you know who they do trust... so let's dont go there.

Point is, get your f***ing shots or deal with another winter of lockdowns. It's that simple.
Well you might, I haven't been locked down since the start. Other than tossing a mask on here or there my life has had zero change.

It doesn't matter why they don't trust Fauci, the goal is to get them vaccinated. You move him out and try and get someone in there they may listen too and see what happens. One thing is for certain, the current people aren't going to get that done no matter how much you dislike it.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well you might, I haven't been locked down since the start. Other than tossing a mask on here or there my life has had zero change.

It doesn't matter why they don't trust Fauci, the goal is to get them vaccinated. You move him out and try and get someone in there they may listen too and see what happens. One thing is for certain, the current people aren't going to get that done no matter how much you dislike it.

If the doubters actually cared about logic or reason they would see that Trump and his whole family got vaccinated and follow suit. But the ones who are resisting are pretty much unpersuadable. I try to talk to all of them and give them all the facts and even tell them that this is Gods way of saving us from this epidemic. And I bet I havent persuaded more than one in ten to get the shot. So moving Fauci out wont do squat. The saying goes there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see. And bully for you that you didnt lockdown but I'm guessing that numerous businesses where you live did and will again if we dont get the numbers down

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I really want to understand how Fauci is supposedly bad at his job. He is not a politician. That is not his job.

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If the doubters actually cared about logic or reason they would see that Trump and his whole family got vaccinated and follow suit. But the ones who are resisting are pretty much unpersuadable. I try to talk to all of them and give them all the facts and even tell them that this is Gods way of saving us from this epidemic. And I bet I havent persuaded more than one in ten to get the shot. So moving Fauci out wont do squat. The saying goes there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see. And bully for you that you didnt lockdown but I'm guessing that numerous businesses where you live did and will again if we dont get the numbers down
I was essential so no I didn't lock down. Well unless you want food, medical supplies, cleaners and tons of other things sitting on shelves with no label and you can just take a random guess at what it is.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This is absolutely untrue. Where have you been over the last several months?

Are people doing this with frequency in places like Murfreesboro? Of course not. For reasons we probably don’t really need to get into.

Decided to delete half of this.
I've been in Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Florida, Arkansas, Georgia and Ohio during the pandemic and not once have I seen anyone wearing a mask outside unless they were prepping to go inside.

Heck my friends that are the most vigilant with mask wearing haven't been wearing them outside.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I was essential so no I didn't lock down. Well unless you want food, medical supplies, cleaners and tons of other things sitting on shelves with no label and you can just take a random guess at what it is.

I get that, but I'm guessing your favorite restaurant, bar, etc was shut down so you did experience some inconvenience

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I've been in Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Florida, Arkansas, Georgia and Ohio during the pandemic and not once have I seen anyone wearing a mask outside unless they were prepping to go inside.

Heck my friends that are the most vigilant with mask wearing haven't been wearing them outside.

I guess it’s a demographic thing. I’ve been to chicago (recent), Vegas, Colorado, Asheville, etc. and if not wearing a mask outdoors you’re basically the weird one. Heck even in Gatlinburg and around Christmas time over half of the people were wearing them.

Of course I’m talking about areas with a lot of people walking around one another. Heavy density. Not a park where no one else is around.

Point is saying ‘no one’ wears a mask outdoors is absolutely incorrect.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess it’s a demographic thing. I’ve been to chicago (recent), Vegas, Colorado, Asheville, etc. and if not wearing a mask outdoors you’re basically the weird one. Heck even in Gatlinburg and around Christmas time over half of the people were wearing them.

Of course I’m talking about areas with a lot of people walking around one another. Heavy density. Not a park where no one else is around.

Dude, those weren't people wearing those masks. They were sheep. Doesn't count. :sarcasm:

Reactions: bdub24 and LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I like what Michigan is doing with their "Vacc to Normal" plan they announced today. I suppose you can quibble over the numbers set for the thresholds but at some point you have to make an estimate of what you think is right and just go for it.

Getting a 404 when I go to that link (could be me). Here's another from a different source:

Whitmer plan ties lifting COVID-19 restrictions to vaccination rates

I like the idea of tying this to vaccine %. Gives everyone a tangible reason to get it done.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Exactly

Clearly attitudes towards the virus, and masks, have varied from location to location.

It looks like a no win scenario to me. I've heard lots of criticism that there isn't enough guidance or specific guidance from the federal, state, and local governments. At times over the past year, I would agree with this view. However, when people get guidance from an institutional authority that they don't like they criticize. No-win situation. Then they go back to their favorite personalities (Joe Rogan the latest and greatest) to justify their beliefs that don't comport to reality.

Reactions: LCPreds

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Reactions: LCPreds

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
My thoughts on masking:

I will continue to wear one in public at businesses that require them. If I patronize their business then I agree to their rules. Same thing as no shirt, no shoes, no service.

I'll continue to wear them indoors in public locations until the data clearly shows that we are beating the virus. We live in a society and we share space. I'll do the bare minimum to protect people. I would expect the same from others (thought I know I won't always get it)

In general, I do like the idea of tying restriction to % vaccinated.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
1 Well they need a different approach then because coming out today and acting like you were lifting a restriction by not needing to wear masks outdoors is laughable. No one was wearing the dang things outdoors to begin with. It's just makes everyone involved look stupid.

At this point Fauci needs to go home with his double masks and stay there. He's done more harm than good over the last year. 2 He shot himself in the foot once people found out he was telling people not to wear masks at the start just so they could keep the mask supply from getting worse than it was.

1 On Monday I joined a group of 20 mostly retired, all vaccinated photographers and birders on a local city greenbelt linear trail looking for migrants, I got there a bit late and to my surprise no one in the group were wearing masks, but almost everyone else on the trail were. From their view we might have been the ones looking stupid, bunch of older folks not wearing masks, but knowing that we had done due diligence getting vaccinated I really didn't care. Plus being judged as looking stupid by the ignorant isn't a big deal at a certain point in life. We'll leave that vanity and self-consciousness to the young.

2 Wasn't that related to prioritizing N 95's for front line medical personnel and not so everyone would make a run on them like they did for toilet paper? I've got a neighbor who recently said that he had over 100 rolls still in in the house from his early purchases and suspects that stash might last a couple more years. If the people trying to keep us alive died because they could not get safe equipment and Joe Blow had a garage full of masks, trying to sell like the idiot with 17,700 bottles of sanitizer in Tn., then it would have been worse.

And exactly why prioritizing crucial medical supplies during a viral outbreak for medical personnel is a bad thing????

upload_2021-4-30_7-45-24.png

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Last summer we had a few tournaments in parks that required mask wearing at all times, Transylvania University made the boys wear them in the dugouts, or if on a base or playing an occupied base. They also had team balls so you weren't pitching or handling a ball handled by the other team. Way overboard and just plain dumb.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Last summer we had a few tournaments in parks that required mask wearing at all times, Transylvania University made the boys wear them in the dugouts, or if on a base or playing an occupied base. They also had team balls so you weren't pitching or handling a ball handled by the other team. Way overboard and just plain dumb.
Did any of the participants get COVID-19 after playing in the tourney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad