OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Interesting... for each of YOUR trips they issued an advisory... "Attention general public @Pookie is traveling.... so you might want to avoid travel.... " What are you not telling us about your covert life?

giphy.gif

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Do you want to be the person working till 330am, working close quarters with the general public, not knowing if the person you are servicing is contagious? My son works retail and I can tell you his safety is worth much more to me than a strangers ability to buy fresh fruit or produce.

The prudent thing to do is shut every store down, put all shopping on line and have a delivery system in place. I get from a logistical standpoint smaller mom and pop stores might struggle with this but at that end of the day its about health and not profit.

I get the sentiment. However not everyone can shop online.

71% of Seniors use the Internet. 29% don’t.

Overall, 6% of Canadians do not have Internet service.

You’d be shutting off access to food for over 2 million Canadians.

The Daily — Canadian Internet Use Survey

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
My mom works as a care aid. Has been for 20 years. She keeps getting 1 to 2 emails every day about new regulations and restrictions being put down. Today she just received an email that she couldnt wear nursing clothes out in public, even while driving to work. She has to change at work. She cant wear nursing clothes when shopping after work. Another is she cant work a 2nd job so she has to tell her employer. Many nurses have to call in now and put their other job on hold. The interesting thing is that 20% of the nurses at her care home work at 2 care homes so now they will be understaffed.

But she was saying that morale is low and stress levels high. Before the crisis boss was writing the nurses up with warnings and letters. Now they desperately need workers and act nice and pretend to say how valuable the nurses are. A lot of the care aids can see through that. The rns and even the lpns.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Understood, like I said before there would be some logistical issue's. Of that 29% how many are in assisted living, how many have children or relatives that could do their shopping for them? How many could be serviced by a phone call in ordering service?

Canadians are pretty resourceful/smart people, I'm sure we could figure out a way to keep our retail workers safe and get food to our seniors.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This post is probably somewhat sad, but it's real world scenario.

I have an uncle, 77, he's had heart issues on and off for a few years. Had an issue yesterday, had to be taken to the ER. The doctor told my aunt that he is pretty certain my uncle will not be coming home this time. Although they've had no known virus exposure, they have to assume they're infected. So my uncle is likely to die in the hospital in the next day or three while my aunt is at home inself isolation for 14 days now. Hospital is on lockdown, so his daughters can't see him either. Really sad end to the life of a good guy.

Obviously the precautions and lockdown and procedures are the right way to go. But getting caught in the shitstorm with an unrelated illness is the shits.

Anyway, not posting to garner sympathy, just to give some insight into what it's like to be hospital bound with illness.

Sorry to hear of this. I don’t know all the details here but if he doesn’t have a confirmed infection, I would assume there is still some hope?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wrt your first question did you read my last paragraph? Why should someone who left before covid19 was a thing be put in the same boat as the selfish pricks who went recreationally during a full blown pandemic. Up until the end of January our authorities were barely talking about it and the few articles that were there were a few leftists talking about how the racism from this is way worse than this miniscule virus that's no big deal (gotta love those folks, they miss no opportunity).

I think Canada has an obligation to its citizens even if they go on vacation. I don't see why that is unreasonable. Their decisions for a lot of them wasn't predicated on a full blown pandemic taking over the world.

Perhaps it is naivety of the current population set in Canada?

Expecting someone is always going to protect them from.

I feel every time I leave this country I'm taking risk.

ronzigato

Jan 5, 2006
Ontario
Sorry to hear of this. I don’t know all the details here but if he doesn’t have a confirmed infection, I would assume there is still some hope?

Thanks.

It's not an infection that's going to end his life, it's heart issues. I won't go into detail, but there are symptoms indicating immenent heart failure. He's more caught in a situation where the virus will force him into being alone when things end for him. It's just a shit situation. Or a shituation, maybe that's a new word that needs to be coined.

Of course you always maintain hope, but the doctor was pretty clear about how he saw it playing out.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Understood, like I said before there would be some logistical issue's. Of that 29% how many are in assisted living, how many have children or relatives that could do their shopping for them? How many could be serviced by a phone call in ordering service?

Canadians are pretty resourceful/smart people, I'm sure we could figure out a way to keep our retail workers safe and get food to our seniors.

I would make that two general groups: seniors and low income.

Maybe a third would be areas without service. I know this comes as a shock to many living in bigger cities but large chunks of some provinces don't have cell coverage (in some cases even right beside the cities).

Anyway, I do agree with sentiment to leverage creativity. Just pointing out it's a bigger group than seniors.

Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I would make that two general groups: seniors and low income.

Maybe a third would be areas without service. I know this comes as a shock to many living in bigger cities but large chunks of some provinces don't have cell coverage (in some cases even right beside the cities).

Anyway, I do agree with sentiment to leverage creativity. Just pointing out it's a bigger group than seniors.

Agreed, nothing like a crisis to shake the cobwebs out of your disaster plans. This really becomes an opportunity for our society to become stronger.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks.

It's not an infection that's going to end his life, it's heart issues. I won't go into detail, but there are symptoms indicating immenent heart failure. He's more caught in a situation where the virus will force him into being alone when things end for him. It's just a shit situation. Or a shituation, maybe that's a new word that needs to be coined.

Of course you always maintain hope, but the doctor was pretty clear about how he saw it playing out.

Ugh. Really sorry to hear that. When my father passed we spent the last 2 weeks with him at home playing music and singing songs (a big part of our lives) and getting to say whatever needed to be said. I couldn't imagine a more perfect ending for him and for me, it certainly made the grieving process easier. Conversely when my wife passed, I just woke up one morning and she was gone. That was much harder. In many ways probably easier for her but you are always left wondering if they knew what they needed to. Garth Brooks summed it up well with "If tomorrow never comes ".

Anyhow, I would do anything in my power to make those things happen . Even Skype, Face Time.....anything. I wish you and yours the best.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The old saying is nothing like a wedding or a funeral to bring out the worst in people, well you can add pandemic to that list. Our supply chain, has more than enough supply to sustain our country. What the problem is one jackass decides ME ME ME ME ME is the only person that matters, buys an exorbitant supply of food, toilet paper, etc. and then the next person sees this and thinks hey if he/she is doing it, I better not be the guy/gal left behind and then they mimic stupid behavior, and so on and so on and so on.

I wouldn't say social order is breaking down, I think we are seeing peoples true nature in a state of crisis, selfish , self centered, narcissistic. Our society has evolved into a me first, screw the next guy mentality, this was happening way before the Covid-19 crisis. The snowflake everyone gets a medal my boy/girl is the best/smartest helicopter parent mentality, has raised a generation of soft, selfish, narcissistic people. I hope something good comes out of this experience, I hope we as a people gain a higher respect for others and love for others and realize the world does not revolve around the person looking back at you in the mirror.

The virus is not going away anytime soon, it will be cyclical and many experts say this will be a August/September thing until we see a flattening of the curve.

What is problematic is Canada is taking care of our business, we are doing a good job of mitigating this pandemic. To the south they are struggling. The US has 10x the population of Canada but 20x the number of Covid-19 cases. What happens south of the boarder is bound to affect Canada, the US sneezes and we poop our pants.

If we as a country don't behave like Canadians and put our fellow countrymen first, we don't have a country, we have a bunch of "Me's", kindness, compassion, thoughtfulness, patience is something in short supply and something we need to find in ourselves.

On the National , they broadcast a report of how Quebec banned visitors from entering the hospital, they showed one woman, yelling and screaming, pounding on the glass door to get in to see her parent(s). What is this woman going to do for her parent(s), if she was able to help IE: she's a Dr or Nurse, she would already be on the other side of those doors. All she wants is to satiate her own need to be with her parent(s) and she is willing to put everyone in that hospital at risk to do so. Aside from being a distraction to the healthcare professionals, what function does she perform? People have to realize for maybe the first time in their life, they need to STFU and be invisible. It not about YOU it's about WE.

We not Me t-shirts for all

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This post is probably somewhat sad, but it's real world scenario.

I have an uncle, 77, he's had heart issues on and off for a few years. Had an issue yesterday, had to be taken to the ER. The doctor told my aunt that he is pretty certain my uncle will not be coming home this time. Although they've had no known virus exposure, they have to assume they're infected. So my uncle is likely to die in the hospital in the next day or three while my aunt is at home inself isolation for 14 days now. Hospital is on lockdown, so his daughters can't see him either. Really sad end to the life of a good guy.

Obviously the precautions and lockdown and procedures are the right way to go. But getting caught in the shitstorm with an unrelated illness is the shits.

Anyway, not posting to garner sympathy, just to give some insight into what it's like to be hospital bound with illness.

Sorry to hear that. I know you're not looking for that, but still.

Also this is exactly the reason everyone needs to follow these rules. Its not just about yourself. Its about protecting others who have other medical issues.

Hopefully everything will work out.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You ain’t half wrong .... which is a very odd phrase but yes... self sufficiency... or at least a plan B is a great path forward.
and possibly reevaluate the pros and cons of the business practice of just in time delivery?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for the work. I did grocery stock at one time. More crucial now than ever. That's why people shouldn't knock anyone for the job they do... you're working.

Also I'll check out my local Walmart now for groceries knowing they may be following this policy.

I have a family to worry about so anyway to protect them when I go out to get food... as funny as that may sound... is great. Thanks again.
service to others..........there's no higher calling.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks.

Is there any chance for him to go into Hospice care?

Reactions: pepperMonkey

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The old saying is nothing like a wedding or a funeral to bring out the worst in people, well you can add pandemic to that list. Our supply chain, has more than enough supply to sustain our country. What the problem is one jackass decides ME ME ME ME ME is the only person that matters, buys an exorbitant supply of food, toilet paper, etc. and then the next person sees this and thinks hey if he/she is doing it, I better not be the guy/gal left behind and then they mimic stupid behavior, and so on and so on and so on.

I wouldn't say social order is breaking down, I think we are seeing peoples true nature in a state of crisis, selfish , self centered, narcissistic. Our society has evolved into a me first, screw the next guy mentality, this was happening way before the Covid-19 crisis. The snowflake everyone gets a medal my boy/girl is the best/smartest helicopter parent mentality, has raised a generation of soft, selfish, narcissistic people. I hope something good comes out of this experience, I hope we as a people gain a higher respect for others and love for others and realize the world does not revolve around the person looking back at you in the mirror.

The virus is not going away anytime soon, it will be cyclical and many experts say this will be a August/September thing until we see a flattening of the curve.

What is problematic is Canada is taking care of our business, we are doing a good job of mitigating this pandemic. To the south they are struggling. The US has 10x the population of Canada but 20x the number of Covid-19 cases. What happens south of the boarder is bound to affect Canada, the US sneezes and we poop our pants.

If we as a country don't behave like Canadians and put our fellow countrymen first, we don't have a country, we have a bunch of "Me's", kindness, compassion, thoughtfulness, patience is something in short supply and something we need to find in ourselves.

On the National , they broadcast a report of how Quebec banned visitors from entering the hospital, they showed one woman, yelling and screaming, pounding on the glass door to get in to see her parent(s). What is this woman going to do for her parent(s), if she was able to help IE: she's a Dr or Nurse, she would already be on the other side of those doors. All she wants is to satiate her own need to be with her parent(s) and she is willing to put everyone in that hospital at risk to do so. Aside from being a distraction to the healthcare professionals, what function does she perform? People have to realize for maybe the first time in their life, they need to STFU and be invisible. It not about YOU it's about WE.

If she wears protective equipment, she can't see her parents in a public building when this thing is just kicking off? I don't know the details of the case but it seems extreme.

Regarding what will come of this. Small business wipe out, a lot of homes lost. Many travel restrictions for over a year. Pension funds buckle, currency collapse, probably a new currency, getting supplies based on first letter of last name on certain days or amazon. That's for a 2-3 mth lockdown which seems expected atm. A lot of repo cars and no doubt a war or two. The US Fed taking over our banks that are heavily vested in the US

The only good I see of this is that people may appreciate their families and God more tbh.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I would think there is some sort of "danger pay" clause in their contracts.
There isn’t

only thing I have seen this year is that ford froze everyone’s salary to only 1% increase in 2019 for 3 years lol

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

loblaws does the pc express thing we do that every week. I think all grocery stores should go to that system. The workers get the groceries you drive and pick up the order and perhaps in a way the there is no face to face interaction. No one but staff can be in grocery stores.

It still doesn’t help the online problem perfectly but it sorts out the need for delivery logistics. This way the staff are only in contact with other staff BUT with empty stores they can keep social distancing from each other, like a rule of one staff member per aisle at a time.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Loblaws and Metro both pay into a union, this is their way (the corporate owners) of appeasing the unions that represent their employees. Danger pay basically. But don't be fooled, Loblaws and Metro are absolute shit companies. I worked at Loblaws for 5 years part time, paid a union, and got paid minimum wage, while having to pay union dues.

I don't know, I live in Oshawa, grew up here, and I thought that being in a union meant you had power to make more per hour or salary etc.

Blew my mind when I moved to Toronto for a couple years and I was in a union but making minimum wage. Loblaws is a shit company believe me.
Nurses are also unionized

I myself hate unions being in management but in this case something should be given to all staff by the government .

it will also helpfully stop ppl from abusing their sick leave rn.

if there is no additional incentive to work at this time we have a lot of staff who call in sick so they don’t have to be exposed to the environment

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Singapore is now closing their borders. I am starting to grow concerned for Africa as a whole. As the cases rise there and because of a varity of reasons, they can't afford to fight this.

My brother married a Kenyan and we have been there on a few occasions. There are villages that are remote and so crowded that it will be impossible to contain

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
If she wears protective equipment, she can't see her parents in a public building when this thing is just kicking off? I don't know the details of the case but it seems extreme.

Regarding what will come of this. Small business wipe out, a lot of homes lost. Many travel restrictions for over a year. Pension funds buckle, currency collapse, probably a new currency, getting supplies based on first letter of last name on certain days or amazon. That's for a 2-3 mth lockdown which seems expected atm. A lot of repo cars and no doubt a war or two. The US Fed taking over our banks that are heavily vested in the US

The only good I see of this is that people may appreciate their families and God more tbh.
I'm sure people will appreciate their families more for sure. Not sure why you had to bring up god and religion though. Go ahead and start praying if someone you know is sick, let's see how that works out.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Singapore is now closing their borders. I am starting to grow concerned for Africa as a whole. As the cases rise there and because of a varity of reasons, they can't afford to fight this.

My brother married a Kenyan and we have been there on a few occasions. There are villages that are remote and so crowded that it will be impossible to contain

I'm sorry to say, but Africa, and 3rd world countries in general, are going to be ravaged by this pandemic.

I also believe there is going to be a major paradigm shift across the globe when this is over, hopefully for the betterment of the future of mankind.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I forced my parents to learn how to use WhatsApp on their phones and set up online grocery store accounts this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad