OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If she wears protective equipment, she can't see her parents in a public building when this thing is just kicking off? I don't know the details of the case but it seems extreme.

Why waste PE on a woman that provides no benefit to the health of people at the hospital, and if she can do it, why cant I , and the next person and the next person.. I know this sounds cold and callous but her feelings/ need to be with her parent(s) are not worth the lives of people, you have no idea if she is infectious, you have no idea if she will be a distraction to the staff.... at the end of the day healthcare workers do best when you give them the tools they need and limit outside distractions.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Perhaps it is naivety of the current population set in Canada?

Expecting someone is always going to protect them from.

I feel every time I leave this country I'm taking risk.
Well I suppose the discussion is a bit philosophical and comes down to whether or not a government has any obligation to its citizens when they are on vacation. I will agree that I feel no sympathy for people who traveled while knowing about this whole pandemic.

Our own government chose to ignore it instead of being pro active and just kept regurgitating "risk extremely low" when some precaution woulda been nice. Now they wanna force people inside their own homes

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Most people in those areas , know that living remotely has its challenges and are probably better prepared than city folk are. Buddy of mine lives in the sticks, he has a propane generator, was able to live 10 days with out power from the provincial power company. He had fridge, stove, heat, and hot water, lived life like he would normally. He has a stock pile of food, bullets and beer to last easily a month.

So for those that live in remote areas , they are use to preparing for the worst.
While this is all true, this is what I was trying to get across before that a lot of people in big cities don't get, there are large chunks of provinces that are not that rural without connectivity. I've had this debate with Rogers employees several times who claim they have all this coverage and have clearly never been outside their neighbourhood.

I volunteer with the military providing Air Search and Rescue and through work am heavily involved in both emergency measures and enforcement activities. Because of this I move around a lot and get exposed to a lot of need for communications. It's pretty brutal how bad it is, especially given the exorbitant rates we pay.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Most people in those areas , know that living remotely has its challenges and are probably better prepared than city folk are. Buddy of mine lives in the sticks, he has a propane generator, was able to live 10 days with out power from the provincial power company. He had fridge, stove, heat, and hot water, lived life like he would normally. He has a stock pile of food, bullets and beer to last easily a month.

So for those that live in remote areas , they are use to preparing for the worst.

Absolutely. That and the community tends to be tighter in those areas. People will help however they can from helping elderly to sharing food from their supplies.

A close friend of mine has a big chunk of land about 160 acres or so. The property is 100% offgrid. Has water wind and solar power, a large series of gardens and dry storage of veggies/meat. Hell they even brew and grow their own. Its where im heading tomorrow in fact. He has cleared a number of sites around his property and friends are moving there in Rvs and campers to get distance. The gunfire from the private range should keep any idjits away lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
WhatsApp? What does that do?
it's a texting app, we first started using it when traveling so we don't get hit with roaming charges while staying in touch with home, we now have "chats" set up for both sides of the family so everyone can stay in the loop while trying to arrange things like holiday dinners.

Reactions: Bluelines

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well I suppose the discussion is a bit philosophical and comes down to whether or not a government has any obligation to its citizens when they are on vacation. I will agree that I feel no sympathy for people who traveled while knowing about this whole pandemic.

Our own government chose to ignore it instead of being pro active and just kept regurgitating "risk extremely low" when some precaution woulda been nice. Now they wanna force people inside their own homes

Where I work we've been preparing for this since January. January!

Canada is trying to get everyone home, but Canada has no authority in other countries.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This post is probably somewhat sad, but it's real world scenario.

I have an uncle, 77, he's had heart issues on and off for a few years. Had an issue yesterday, had to be taken to the ER. The doctor told my aunt that he is pretty certain my uncle will not be coming home this time. Although they've had no known virus exposure, they have to assume they're infected. So my uncle is likely to die in the hospital in the next day or three while my aunt is at home inself isolation for 14 days now. Hospital is on lockdown, so his daughters can't see him either. Really sad end to the life of a good guy.

Obviously the precautions and lockdown and procedures are the right way to go. But getting caught in the shitstorm with an unrelated illness is the shits.

Anyway, not posting to garner sympathy, just to give some insight into what it's like to be hospital bound with illness.

So sorry to hear this. God bless. Went through a somewhat similar situation with my mother several years ago. She spent her last days/weeks in the hospital. I lived about 1,ooo miles away and spent most of that time in the hospital with her, but not the last 1 1/2 days when she passed away. That's something I will never forget and think of it frequently.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I pray that the scales be removed from your eyes, and you shall see.
I'll never believe in religion if that's what you are stating here. Any religion human kind has created is bullshit. The "gods" people have created for their religions do not exist.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Where I work we've been preparing for this since January. January!

Canada is trying to get everyone home, but Canada has no authority in other countries.
Well your industry culture might be more risk averse. Our own government was more or less mocking this virus in January.

Obvs we are talking about bringing such people back into the country not imposing regulations overseas (though the West loves to do that too ;) )

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
While this is all true, this is what I was trying to get across before that a lot of people in big cities don't get, there are large chunks of provinces that are not that rural without connectivity. I've had this debate with Rogers employees several times who claim they have all this coverage and have clearly never been outside their neighbourhood.

I volunteer with the military providing Air Search and Rescue and through work am heavily involved in both emergency measures and enforcement activities. Because of this I move around a lot and get exposed to a lot of need for communications. It's pretty brutal how bad it is, especially given the exorbitant rates we pay.

If a Rogers employee was debating that point with you, they are clearly misinformed.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
completely agree, tough times call for tough measures, people cannot be counted on to do what's right, I'm thinking of kids lining up for (of all things) video games, and that idiotic Quebec woman who had to be arrested for not staying in quarantine. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link...............
Agree.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's an app available on all cell phone platforms that's very easy to use that allows instant messaging, phone calls, and video calls.

it's a texting app, we first started using it when traveling so we don't get hit with roaming charges while staying in touch with home, we now have "chats" set up for both sides of the family so everyone can stay in the loop while trying to arrange things like holiday dinners.

I've seen it used a lot when I leave North America.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Befuddled that people go out without wearing a mask. We need to wear them.
Why? Are you sick? Because you're part of the problem if you're not

I can't believe people are still advocating for the use of masks within the general population. No matter how hard people try to disseminate fact-based information, it still fails to get through to people.

It's infuriating

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well your industry culture might be more risk averse. Our own government was more or less mocking this virus in January.

Obvs we are talking about bringing such people back into the country not imposing regulations overseas (though the West loves to do that too ;) )

I remember when the quote was it is only 15 people and it will be gone by next week... those who fail to prepare, are preparing to fail.

Reactions: rumman and Jojalu

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not headed down the prepper path, but there was certainly a fair amount of downplaying of the impact in the early stages (i.e., late Jan. & Feb) by folks that you would have hoped had a better understanding of a pandemic (& its impact).

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I remember when the quote was it is only 15 people and it will be gone by next week... those who fail to prepare, are preparing to fail.
Yea I agree with this. Though now ppl are probably overreacting. It's all the government's fault. Initial cases were almost all from travel. They refused to shut down borders which is debatable but at least non Canadians trying to enter should have been barred and Canadians trying to leave should've been barred from doing so.

THEY REFUSED TO f***ING QUARANTINE AND TEST PEOPLE WHO CAME INTO THE COUNTRY! oh but we gotta be tolerant and accepting boys! Don't want to hurt anyone's feeewings by testing them. No they made them self report because they didn't want to "overreact." f***ing Trudeau government is a massive joke sometimes. You have the option to try to protect an entire nation but you are more concerned about not coming off as racist or unwelcoming. That's how jaded and blinded people are by their politics. If we did that it takes much much longer to get to a 100 cases and would be way more in control if not completely. We had way too lax rules on self isolation but now they want to lock down 35 million people just because they didn't want to test what like 20k people? God it's so aggravating how they intentionally sabotaged us just to uphold their "diversity is our strength" mantra. This has nothing to do with diversity anyway, just common sense. We should be lining up outside the parliament building right now

Reactions: rumman

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Yea I agree with this. Though now ppl are probably overreacting. It's all the government's fault. Initial cases were almost all from travel. They refused to shut down borders which is debatable but at least non Canadians trying to enter should have been barred and Canadians trying to leave should've been barred from doing so.

THEY REFUSED TO f***ING QUARANTINE AND TEST PEOPLE WHO CAME INTO THE COUNTRY! oh but we gotta be tolerant and accepting boys! Don't want to hurt anyone's feeewings by testing them. No they made them self report because they didn't want to "overreact." f***ing Trudeau government is a massive joke sometimes. You have the option to try to protect an entire nation but you are more concerned about not coming off as racist or unwelcoming. That's how jaded and blinded people are by their politics. If we did that it takes much much longer to get to a 100 cases and would be way more in control if not completely. We had way too lax rules on self isolation but now they want to lock down 35 million people just because they didn't want to test what like 20k people? God it's so aggravating how they intentionally sabotaged us just to uphold their "diversity is our strength" mantra. This has nothing to do with diversity anyway, just common sense. We should be lining up outside the parliament building right now
This is a sad truth but not something people are comfortable talking about

If there's blame to place on anyone it's the federal government for allowing it to get to this point

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
we live in the country so it standard operating procedure to be stocked up on essentials, have plenty of fuel for the generator etc at all times.

Reactions: Bluelines

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Every word of this is true. And planes are still landing here from China.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Sadly, Canada response is probably still one of the better ones compared to others. Yes, we messed up but we have been slightly ahead of most countries in our response times, albeit barely. Mind you, we still were too slow to react but it could have been worse.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is a sad truth but not something people are comfortable talking about

If there's blame to place on anyone it's the federal government for allowing it to get to this point
yet there are plenty of people on these boards worried about their rights being taken away, personally if our government were proactive they would have gotten ahead of this way before it became a pandemic and we'd be in a far better place right now. I'd much prefer my government apologizing for overreacting then have them being behind at every step as we've seen. Thankfully they've at least stopped accepting illegals form the US.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Sadly, Canada response is probably still one of the better ones compared to others. Yes, we messed up but we have been slightly ahead of most countries in our response times, albeit barely. Mind you, we still were too slow to react but it could have been worse.

The thing is, we had examples of what was working (Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea) and what not to do (Italy, Spain) but still dropped the ball. This was such low hanging fruit it's beyond belief we didn't act (and still aren't to great extent). And as said above, all in the name of not wanting to offend people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->