OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronzigato

Jan 5, 2006
Ontario
Ugh. Really sorry to hear that. When my father passed we spent the last 2 weeks with him at home playing music and singing songs (a big part of our lives) and getting to say whatever needed to be said. I couldn't imagine a more perfect ending for him and for me, it certainly made the grieving process easier. Conversely when my wife passed, I just woke up one morning and she was gone. That was much harder. In many ways probably easier for her but you are always left wondering if they knew what they needed to. Garth Brooks summed it up well with "If tomorrow never comes ".

Anyhow, I would do anything in my power to make those things happen . Even Skype, Face Time.....anything. I wish you and yours the best.

Thanks for the wise words. Very sorry for your losses. Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: Rants Mulliniks

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Do you want to be the person working till 330am, working close quarters with the general public, not knowing if the person you are servicing is contagious? My son works retail and I can tell you his safety is worth much more to me than a strangers ability to buy fresh fruit or produce.

The prudent thing to do is shut every store down, put all shopping on line and have a delivery system in place. I get from a logistical standpoint smaller mom and pop stores might struggle with this but at that end of the day its about health and not profit.
I would imagine your son would be safer working at 3AM than 3PM. Stretching the hours to 24hrs means less people in the store at any point of time compared to restricted hours. And at 3AM there will certainly be less people compared to most any day time hours. Mind you, with that said, online grocery shopping will probably be the safest way to go about this, albeit probably only feasible in the large cities.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Singapore is now closing their borders. I am starting to grow concerned for Africa as a whole. As the cases rise there and because of a varity of reasons, they can't afford to fight this.

My brother married a Kenyan and we have been there on a few occasions. There are villages that are remote and so crowded that it will be impossible to contain

If Singapore is closing their borders we need to follow. I know it’s a big issue economically but our weakness is US. I think if Canada does this measure and makes mandatory quarenteens in certain areas and restricted travel we could come out of this Pandemic far better off then other Countries.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
This post is probably somewhat sad, but it's real world scenario.

I have an uncle, 77, he's had heart issues on and off for a few years. Had an issue yesterday, had to be taken to the ER. The doctor told my aunt that he is pretty certain my uncle will not be coming home this time. Although they've had no known virus exposure, they have to assume they're infected. So my uncle is likely to die in the hospital in the next day or three while my aunt is at home inself isolation for 14 days now. Hospital is on lockdown, so his daughters can't see him either. Really sad end to the life of a good guy.

Obviously the precautions and lockdown and procedures are the right way to go. But getting caught in the shitstorm with an unrelated illness is the shits.

Anyway, not posting to garner sympathy, just to give some insight into what it's like to be hospital bound with illness.
I heard this was being done around the globe. I truly can't fathom what that would be like for those affected, specially those who are hospitalized. Recently lost my father (Whoa, it's almost been a year, doesn't seem that long ago...) and can't imagine how hard it would have been if we as a family couldn't be by my dad's side. Specially for my mom. I really hope your uncle has a way to communicate with his loved ones. Hope he pulls out, certainly greater recoveries occurs frequently.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
February 29th. we did our prepper shop.

So everyone was warned prior to that date.
Ya, warnings started to come out from medical experts around the Jan. 20 - 30th timeframe. How people/politicians/officials reacted to it varied wildly. Those reactions were captured (video/audio) in real time. There are often some reactions and events that don't look good in the early stages of something like this. History shows us this.

Got to wonder what will be the lessons learned? Will priorities change? Will certain programs get more emphasis & funding? Time will tell.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I would imagine your son would be safer working at 3AM than 3PM. Stretching the hours to 24hrs means less people in the store at any point of time compared to restricted hours. And at 3AM there will certainly less people compared to most any day time hours. Mind you, with that said, online grocery shopping will probably be the safest way to go about this, albeit probably only feasible in the large cities.

except ordering online pretty much guaranteed you won’t get your whole order. I do the pc express thing and for 2 orders now over 50% of my order has been “not in stock” I didn’t want to go I store as I have a newborn at home don’t want to take risks but tomorrow when my order is mostly not there I’m going to have to go in anyway.

My wife’s cousin did metro delivery and got 5 of 40 items! She ordered

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
except ordering online pretty much guaranteed you won’t get your whole order. I do the pc express thing and for 2 orders now over 50% of my order has been “not in stock” I didn’t want to go I store as I have a newborn at home don’t want to take risks but tomorrow when my order is mostly not there I’m going to have to go in anyway.

Loblaws is useless right now. They never have anything. I hate FreshCo but they have stuff so there I go.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya, warnings started to come out from medical experts around the Jan. 20 - 30th timeframe. How people/politicians/officials reacted to it varied wildly. Those reactions were captured (video/audio) in real time. There are often some reactions and events that don't look good in the early stages of something like this. History shows us this.

Got to wonder what will be the lessons learned? Will priorities change? Will certain programs get more emphasis & funding? Time will tell.

Lesson's learned all around.

However we know even now people aren't taking it seriously.

Sounds like government is going to take it to the next step on Tuesday?

"Of course warnings or restrictions only apply to other people, it isn't going to change my life!"

Reactions: Its not your fault

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Yeah, I have been hearing similar stories, but we are taking grocery stores who only recently started doing such services and are currently facing crazy situations. If the stores closes down and become fully online only it would become more like Amazon and become a warehouse where stock can be much more accurately monitored. If so, the experience would become much more fluid and realized.
Till that happened I would imagine the experience would continue to be crap. If they only put a stranglehold on essentials (like formulas) and stop the hoarding things wouldn't be nearly so bad

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lesson's learned all around.

However we know even now people aren't taking it seriously.

Sounds like government is going to take it to the next step on Tuesday?

"Of course warnings or restrictions only apply to other people, it isn't going to change my life!"

What's the next step? Any reason for Tuesday?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Loblaws is useless right now. They never have anything. I hate FreshCo but they have stuff so there I go.

Just did a SuperStore (Loblaws) shop, got 30 pack of TP, paper towels, shelves were pretty good, of course no Lysol products or hand sanitizer ...

People were giving space, not always 6 feet since that would mean all aisles would have to be one way. Maybe 25-30% wearing masks.

Couldn't wait to get out!

Reactions: pepperMonkey

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I'm sorry to say, but Africa, and 3rd world countries in general, are going be ravaged by this pandemic.

I also believe there is going to be a major paradigm shift across the globe when this is over, hopefully for the betterment of the future of mankind.

I believe what you say to be true.

I also have the same hope. We can make this a better world on the other side of this

Reactions: Brown Dog

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Just did a SuperStore (Loblaws) shop, got 30 pack of TP, paper towels, shelves were pretty good, of course no Lysol products or hand sanitizer ...

People were giving space, not always 6 feet since that would mean all aisles would have to be one way. Maybe 25-30% wearing masks.

Couldn't wait to get out!
I would imagine a good portion of the hoarders have already hoarded up so would expect stock levels to become relatively normal again soon. Still, good to hear. Hope it continues to get better.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
A read on what possibilities may become a reality due to this all happening ... Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.

Just for an interesting read... I didn't read every article... and I don't know how legit every single one is... just more a time waster... and some interesting thoughts.

I wonder how people (voters) will view the public health/safety versus defense continuum in the future? Are defense and public safety/health not designed for the same (broad) basic goals - to protect the public? Will there be a greater emphasis in certain areas, and less in others? If so, will government/taxpayer funding change (thinking of the U.S. primarily I guess)?

Its interesting to ponder if nothing else ......

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I'm sure people will appreciate their families more for sure. Not sure why you had to bring up god and religion though. Go ahead and start praying if someone you know is sick, let's see how that works out.
I pray that the scales be removed from your eyes, and you shall see.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks.

It's not an infection that's going to end his life, it's heart issues. I won't go into detail, but there are symptoms indicating immenent heart failure. He's more caught in a situation where the virus will force him into being alone when things end for him. It's just a shit situation. Or a shituation, maybe that's a new word that needs to be coined.

Of course you always maintain hope, but the doctor was pretty clear about how he saw it playing out.

Sorry to hear all this.

For those who don't understand the severity of the situation, this is why all should be concerned. All of us are still at risk of needing medical attention from any other injury, illness outside of COVID.

The hospitals are getting full and the chances of being treated for anyrhing worsen.

I had my surgery postponed that I have been waiting for months for. Not a big deal. I will survive. There are so many ramifications from all this.

Reactions: ronzigato

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
loblaws does the pc express thing we do that every week. I think all grocery stores should go to that system. The workers get the groceries you drive and pick up the order and perhaps in a way the there is no face to face interaction. No one but staff can be in grocery stores.

It still doesn’t help the online problem perfectly but it sorts out the need for delivery logistics. This way the staff are only in contact with other staff BUT with empty stores they can keep social distancing from each other, like a rule of one staff member per aisle at a time.

Agreed. I needed some supplies yesterday and went to Fortinos. The clerks were all wearing gloves but what's the point unless they change them for every customer? So basically we have a situation wear Customers A through Y bring their food to the checkout, clerk grabs everything and scans them through, asks customers to bag themselves (why after the food's been handled?) and Customer Z gets exposed to everyone else in line before them via the clerk.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Perhaps it is naivety of the current population set in Canada?

Expecting someone is always going to protect them from.

I feel every time I leave this country I'm taking risk.
I agree with you never in 1lmy life time and I'm sure have we seen any country shut down due to a virus. Then guys like who rebuttaled you are half the problem how many self quarrinte? People didn't take this serious and proved we anrt mature as a whole to be trusted with being locked down. Honestly the government did it right lock us almost down and then in the end they can be like well you'd really not be happy if we forced you to stay in. Yet you didn't sorry for your loss. It's on everyone and everybody. Heck gas being so low should be your first clue the government wants us to f*** up and knock of a bunch of people.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Befuddled that people go out without wearing a mask. We need to wear them. Get lots of sunlight too when you are sitting around doing nothing. Air and sunlight keeps you healthy. So get out lots and get fresh air.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, I have been hearing similar stories, but we are taking grocery stores who only recently started doing such services and are currently facing crazy situations. If the stores closes down and become fully online only it would become more like Amazon and become a warehouse where stock can be much more accurately monitored. If so, the experience would become much more fluid and realized.
Till that happened I would imagine the experience would continue to be crap. If they only put a stranglehold on essentials (like formulas) and stop the hoarding things wouldn't be nearly so bad

pc has done the pc express for at least 2 years. It’s not necessarily the stores fault either it’s the hoarders buying up way more Thant hey need. BUT the kid who’s job it is to pick my order I’m sure isn’t looking as best he can I’m sure of it, not that I blame him either slightly above minimum wage to do this isn’t really fair to expect much more than cursory glances for my items

but making it so the only way to grocery shop is to order online then pick it up makes it safer for every single person involved. Regular folk aren’t just wondering around the store possibly infecting other shoppers or staff. And if staff meme bets are monitored properly they can all be safe in knowing they are working in as safe a place as possible

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I would imagine your son would be safer working at 3AM than 3PM. Stretching the hours to 24hrs means less people in the store at any point of time compared to restricted hours. And at 3AM there will certainly be less people compared to most any day time hours. Mind you, with that said, online grocery shopping will probably be the safest way to go about this, albeit probably only feasible in the large cities.

In the sense that there are considerable less staff at most retail outlets, he would be working longer hours, he would not be safer. The sketchy critters that come out after 11pm, he would not be safer.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This post is probably somewhat sad, but it's real world scenario.

I have an uncle, 77, he's had heart issues on and off for a few years. Had an issue yesterday, had to be taken to the ER. The doctor told my aunt that he is pretty certain my uncle will not be coming home this time. Although they've had no known virus exposure, they have to assume they're infected. So my uncle is likely to die in the hospital in the next day or three while my aunt is at home inself isolation for 14 days now. Hospital is on lockdown, so his daughters can't see him either. Really sad end to the life of a good guy.

Obviously the precautions and lockdown and procedures are the right way to go. But getting caught in the shitstorm with an unrelated illness is the shits.

Anyway, not posting to garner sympathy, just to give some insight into what it's like to be hospital bound with illness.
Doctors have been wrong before bro. I hope it turns out they ate again ;)

Reactions: ronzigato

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
loblaws does the pc express thing we do that every week. I think all grocery stores should go to that system. The workers get the groceries you drive and pick up the order and perhaps in a way the there is no face to face interaction. No one but staff can be in grocery stores.

It still doesn’t help the online problem perfectly but it sorts out the need for delivery logistics. This way the staff are only in contact with other staff BUT with empty stores they can keep social distancing from each other, like a rule of one staff member per aisle at a time.

Yeah that is a good system and it is being used considerably more. When I drive by there is a line up for PC Express, before this you'd never/rarely see a car in PC Express.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It’s good step.

Just not universal. Some parts of Canada don’t have connectivity

Broadband Fund: Closing the Digital Divide in Canada | CRTC

Most people in those areas , know that living remotely has its challenges and are probably better prepared than city folk are. Buddy of mine lives in the sticks, he has a propane generator, was able to live 10 days with out power from the provincial power company. He had fridge, stove, heat, and hot water, lived life like he would normally. He has a stock pile of food, bullets and beer to last easily a month.

So for those that live in remote areas , they are use to preparing for the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad