OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I did all my major Christmas shopping online this morning in about an hour and spent about 35% of what I would have had I not done it on Black Friday. Waiting on physical lines is for the birds.

I've went in-person shopping on Black Friday twice, both times later in the day. Once because my brother's kids wanted to go to a gymnasium in the mall near them so we took them and took turns watching them while the other raided the nearby stores for stuff. The other time because he needed stuff from Wal-Mart and we went later in the day and I ended up finding all three Matrix movies on Blu-Ray for $5.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah I did all my major Christmas shopping online this morning in about an hour and spent about 35% of what I would have had I not done it on Black Friday. Waiting on physical lines is for the birds.

I've went in-person shopping on Black Friday twice, both times later in the day. Once because my brother's kids wanted to go to a gymnasium in the mall near them so we took them and took turns watching them while the other raided the nearby stores for stuff. The other time because he needed stuff from Wal-Mart and we went later in the day and I ended up finding all three Matrix movies on Blu-Ray for $5.

oh man DVD's...those were the days. very recently (a few months ago) i threw out every DVD i owned. it got to the point where i didn't even unpack them when i moved to a new apartment, so at a certain point i decided to just chuck them.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
oh man DVD's...those were the days. very recently (a few months ago) i threw out every DVD i owned. it got to the point where i didn't even unpack them when i moved to a new apartment, so at a certain point i decided to just chuck them.

Don't get me started on my 8 track collection which is still around here somewhere :wally:

Reactions: MartyOwns

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Don't get me started on my 8 track collection which is still around here somewhere :wally:

my 2 favourite 8 tracks i have (which still work and i have a player in the shedshop….along with a 'real' stereo) are ramones road to ruin and bruce's darkness at the edge of town

only have an old school suitcase of them so not many

why do i do this? who f***ing knows

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
my 2 favourite 8 tracks i have (which still work and i have a player in the shedshop….along with a 'real' stereo) are ramones road to ruin and bruce's darkness at the edge of town

only have an old school suitcase of them so not many

why do i do this? who f***ing knows
Well, I'm a real pack rat. Dunno if there are computer guys here, but I actually still have a box of 8 inch floppy discs (yes, 8 inch, not 5.25) from the old CPM days.

-edit-
BTW, did you get used to certain songs with a *click* in the middle them?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Well, I'm a real pack rat. Dunno if there are computer guys here, but I actually still have a box of 8 inch floppy discs (yes, 8 inch, not 5.25) from the old CPM days.

-edit-
BTW, did you get used to certain songs with a *click* in the middle them?

oh forsure

also pink floyds the wall part II has a comically edited guitar solo on 8 track…..its just the first 2 bars and the last 2 bars spliced together....just so wrong

and i mentioned darkness album above…..it actually has candy's room on the album twice to fill up the space needed on a 8 tracks for the continuous loop with no dead air

Reactions: Nubmer6

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've never gone black Friday shopping, I hate waiting on lines to begin with let alone doing it at a ridiculous hour just to go buy stuff and fighting with crowds.

In the last 5 years or so I've also greatly reduced the amount of "stuff" I purchase. I really don't collect anything so that helps as well. I've just been trying to keep the stuff aspect at a minimum unless its a necessity or the once in awhile upgrade to something.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I feel a million times better than I did earlier in the week, but I lost my sense of smell today which is so weird, but whatever. I still can taste just fine.

Covid felt more like mono than anything for me. Just would get very tired at times. I took my dog for a half mile walk on Thanksgiving and had to sleep for an hour afterward I was so drained.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Anyone know of North Jersey rinks with open hockey / stick & puck sessions consistently running again? I'm in JC so thinking rinks like Floyd Hall, Clary, Ice Vault, Ice House, etc. (I'm surely forgetting some).

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Well my wife got back a positive COVID test result this morning. Late last week she felt like she had a mild cold. On Saturday morning she couldn't really taste or smell anything, and a few family members who we spent Thanksgiving with also didn't feel well, so she went for the test. We still don't have the results back on the other family members.

The odd thing is that she still just has mild cold-like symptoms, and I on the other hand feel perfectly fine. I guess I don't know if I'm asymptomatic or it somehow hasn't hit me yet. I mean, we live in a one bedroom tiny apartment so it's hard to believe I wouldn't also have it.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well my wife got back a positive COVID test result this morning. Late last week she felt like she had a mild cold. On Saturday morning she couldn't really taste or smell anything, and a few family members who we spent Thanksgiving with also didn't feel well, so she went for the test. We still don't have the results back on the other family members.

The odd thing is that she still just has mild cold-like symptoms, and I on the other hand feel perfectly fine. I guess I don't know if I'm asymptomatic or it somehow hasn't hit me yet. I mean, we live in a one bedroom tiny apartment so it's hard to believe I wouldn't also have it.
I think the vast majority of people are asymptomatic or extremely mild. I had a slight fever for 3 weeks. My GF had a slight fever and slight cough for 2 weeks. Her 87 year old mother got a 102 fever, hacking cough, loss of sense of taste and O2 level went down to 80% (which is where they put people on ventilators) and managed to survive staying at home (she said she wanted to die at home and who are we to go against that?)

Also note how ridiculously inaccurate the test is. Elon Musk got it a while ago. He was tested 4 times in the same day on the same machine administered by the same nurse and came out positive 2 times and negative 2 times ()

Reactions: Colin226

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think the vast majority of people are asymptomatic or extremely mild. I had a slight fever for 3 weeks. My GF had a slight fever and slight cough for 2 weeks. Her 87 year old mother got a 102 fever, hacking cough, loss of sense of taste and O2 level went down to 80% (which is where they put people on ventilators) and managed to survive staying at home (she said she wanted to die at home and who are we to go against that?)

Also note how ridiculously inaccurate the test is. Elon Musk got it a while ago. He was tested 4 times in the same day on the same machine administered by the same nurse and came out positive 2 times and negative 2 times ()

Honestly dont trust a thing Elon musk says when it comes to this stuff. He doesn't even believe it is real and is a conspiracy theory nut head.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Sorry to hear that, hope she gets well soon!

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Honestly dont trust a thing Elon musk says when it comes to this stuff. He doesn't even believe it is real and is a conspiracy theory nut head.
Who takes LSD with Grimes and occasionally tries to blow up his own market valuation on Twitter.

I wouldn't mind owning one of his cars, but dude's a weirdo for sure.

Reactions: Darkauron

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
also, i heard that zinc is supposed to be good for the aftereffects of covid w.r.t. lack of taste. not sure if that's founded at all, but i do know someone who's struggling w getting his taste buds in working order

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
also, i heard that zinc is supposed to be good for the aftereffects of covid w.r.t. lack of taste. not sure if that's founded at all, but i do know someone who's struggling w getting his taste buds in working order
Zinc is a natural anti-viral and anti-inflamatory. Maybe it helps a bit. Not sure how it affects taste.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

This is basically the same symptoms I faced. Woke up one morning with a post-nasal drip type sore throat, nbd. Got a stuffy nose, sneezing, and fatigued. Still thinking it was a cold, nbd those still exist.

Got a call someone I was around earlier in the week tested positive, but was asymptomatic, great. Got a test and it came back positive. My symptoms went away for a few days and then I lost my sense of smell. Really weird. The worst part for me was just how tired I would get. I was so tired working from home I had to take a nap during my lunch break one day.

My dad and GF both had similar symptoms, but my dad was coughing a little bit.

Swine flu was a million times worse

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is basically the same symptoms I faced. Woke up one morning with a post-nasal drip type sore throat, nbd. Got a stuffy nose, sneezing, and fatigued. Still thinking it was a cold, nbd those still exist.

Got a call someone I was around earlier in the week tested positive, but was asymptomatic, great. Got a test and it came back positive. My symptoms went away for a few days and then I lost my sense of smell. Really weird. The worst part for me was just how tired I would get. I was so tired working from home I had to take a nap during my lunch break one day.

My dad and GF both had similar symptoms, but my dad was coughing a little bit.

Swine flu was a million times worse
How do you feel now? I keep hearing people say it lingers for a while?

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I assume I had COVID back in April. I never got tested but I quarantined with my wife and didn't see anyone for well over 14 days. My only symptom was loss of smell and taste, which lasted for three weeks, and it came on almost suddenly. I still have f***ed up smell and taste with certain things. All soda now tastes like crap, Listerine tastes like Tums, my aftershave now smells awful (I promise it wasn't awful to begin with), even the smell of cut grass now smells bad to me. There are others I'm not naming, but I've read that long term changes to these senses is a side affect of having had COVID. I hope it corrects itself eventually but if not, hey, at least Bourbon still tastes delicious!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
How do you feel now? I keep hearing people say it lingers for a while?

Yeah it did linger for a bit. For me, it was the fatigue that bothered me the most. Like I said, I had to take a nap during my work lunch break, I've never done that. I work from home on a laptop all day lol

That's pretty much why I compared it close to mono. Just tired all the time. Luckily mono wasn't too bad for me either when I had it, but I know people that got knocked on their ass by it. Same goes for covid obviously.

The weird thing is how different people's symptoms are. I had cold-like symptoms, my dad was coughing, my mom has the shortness of breathe as well as nausea, my GFs family that just got it (not from us) were puking non-stop. Then you have the person I got it from who was asymptomatic. It's a really strange illness

Reactions: Colin226 and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah it did linger for a bit. For me, it was the fatigue that bothered me the most. Like I said, I had to take a nap during my work lunch break, I've never done that. I work from home on a laptop all day lol

That's pretty much why I compared it close to mono. Just tired all the time. Luckily mono wasn't too bad for me either when I had it, but I know people that got knocked on their ass by it. Same goes for covid obviously.

The weird thing is how different people's symptoms are. I had cold-like symptoms, my dad was coughing, my mom has the shortness of breathe as well as nausea, my GFs family that just got it (not from us) were puking non-stop. Then you have the person I got it from who was asymptomatic. It's a really strange illness
I hope you all recover well and have a happy holiday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad