OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Well to be fair SC justices' main charge is interpreting the Constitution and the law, not either sticking up for religious groups or health and safety. I do think they should largely stay out of state government's edicts where it comes to legitimate health and safety questions though.
4 justices interpreted it a different way.

And Alito in particular, but Gorsuch and Barrett as well have made their faith main tenets of their judicial philosophy for decades.

Reactions: Darkauron

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
my test came back positive today. yay

good thing is I feel totally fine now and will definitely donate plasma to help people out who really need it.

Revolutionary

Oct 12, 2020
this f***tard is gonna get hit hard…..as he should

from article: "In addition to the fine that Adamson Barbecue may face, the city said the restaurant is also under current investigation for compliance with business licensing, zoning, public health, Ontario Building Code and the Ontario Fire Code requirements.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/etobicoke-restaurant-adamson-bbq-1.5814137

He's a hero in my book, and every other small business should follow his lead. They need to band together and fight back.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It appears that the constitution is indeed a suicide pact. It’s the free exercise of religion clause. But on the analogy of free speech, same amendment, whatever happened to Justice Holmes’ principal that freedom of speech is not the freedom to shout “fire” in a crowded theater.
If they're going off of the first, then what's preventing anyone - secular or non - of the right to peacebly assemble?

Should the NHL, Planet Fitness, music festivals, et al take their case to the court as well? Are we to believe the same ruling would come down?

I'd be entertained if a group like Bowery Presents or Golden Voice took this as far as they could, unfortunately the outcome would have a negative outcome in the micro as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camille the Eel

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
He's a hero in my book, and every other small business should follow his lead. They need to band together and fight back.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have next to no knowledge of the service industry.

Beyond that the fact that he's run afoul of fire, buildings, health, and zoning codes strike me as a guy I'd prefer to not go to war for.

As an aside, why are you here? You're a conspiracy theorist rags fan. Go home.

Better yet, head to the nearest Catholic church in Staten Island or a Synagogue in South Williamsburg and have a blast. I'm sure it'll pay dividends for you, your family, and your community.

Reactions: JMadden11

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Sorry homie, and good on you.

All good, pretty sure everyone in my household has it, but we're waiting on results from them. I luckily only got what felt like a cold, wasn't too bad. Didn't cough or have any respiratory issues (knock on wood).

I have now gotten two pandemic illnesses in my life so far, H1N1 and Covid, and I can tell you that H1N1 was a million times worse for me.

That pandemic was a lucky break medically speaking, and the exact opposite of Covid in terms of who it impacts the most. We were really fortunate the 65+ population had previous exposure to an H1N1 virus and were largely unaffected. That could've been way more deadly if it impacted the elderly the same as the youth.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Sorry to hear you were so afraid. I traveled and saw my family and we all had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Many, many people were there. More than usual actually. It was great.

Imagine having such utter distain for your fellow man...

Real bravery is the actions of people like None Shall Pass, who sacrifice seeing their loved ones, in order to keep them and the wider community safe.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Imagine having such utter distain for your fellow man...

Real bravery is the actions of people like None Shall Pass, who sacrifice seeing their loved ones, in order to keep them and the wider community safe.
To just be callous is stupid. If you all did that then that's fine but you're not acknowledging the risks that are involved in doing so. And to be a dick about it is even worse.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Just curious, what would it NORMALLY look like that you didn't do it this year?

Normally, we all meet at my Aunt and Uncle's. That's them, my two cousins and their spouses and kids, my Mom, my brother and his spouse and their kids, and myself and my girlfriend. But my Uncle is high risk and my one cousin just had a baby so we decided it's too risky.

So then we decided to just do my brother and his spouse and kids, my Mom, and my girlfriend and I at my brother's house. But my brother is high risk and my mom is old (NEVER tell my Italian mom I said that), and I've been riding the subway to work and my girlfriend's career involves a lot of indoor work and I felt nervous that I could have it and pass it on. I get tested bi-weekly for work but I had to ride the subway since the last one, so I decided not to.

My girlfriend and I had a nice Thanksgiving at our place though, so it wasn't terrible. I just miss my family. I never go this long without seeing them.

my test came back positive today. yay

good thing is I feel totally fine now and will definitely donate plasma to help people out who really need it.

Feel better dude!

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
If someone decides to skip out on Thanksgiving to protect their family or to protect themselves, all the power to them. If someone decides to have Thanksgiving with their family, same to them. No need to judge each other!

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Absolutely so f***ing stupid. I guess that is what happens when you have justices care more about religion than the health and safety of the people. Cant say im surprised.
people already choose to meet up in public (6' apart hopefully, but nonetheless we all know people meet up)

i think the decision is just saying they can't restrict it specifically, but it's not like they're FORCING people to meet up.

I guess it's kind of like if they forbade people from going to a grocery store/target/walmart? Everyone could technically order their groceries/goods online and have them delivered, but a large majority of people seem to be flexible with going out there. In the same way, places of worship shouldn't be forbidden. I think religion gets a bad rap because it rubs many people the wrong way from an individual perspective

that being said, i'd hope those places enforce social distancing if they're gonna do it. i also think it's a misnomer to think christians are the all antivaccer/nonmask wearing people, and is wrongfully attributed to those groups in a very broad brushstroke

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
In the same way, places of worship shouldn't be forbidden. I think religion gets a bad rap because it rubs many people the wrong way from an individual perspective

i think religious institutions should absolutely be closed because 1) most of the people that still go to those things are old as balls and very susceptible and 2) they're the least essential thing that have ever existed

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
i think religious institutions should absolutely be closed because 1) most of the people that still go to those things are old as balls and very susceptible and 2) they're the least essential thing that have ever existed

This x100. It is pointless to be open and because so many people go to church, and feel the need to have to go even in a pandemic, is so stupid right now.

They not only put their friends, family, other church members at risk, the rest of the community, and towns suffer due to their poor choice. Which is ACTIVELY causing people to DIE.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

This x100. It is pointless to be open and because so many people go to church, and feel the need to have to go even in a pandemic, is so stupid right now.

They not only put their friends, family, other church members at risk, the rest of the community, and towns suffer due to their poor choice. Which is ACTIVELY causing people to DIE.

While those old people probably SHOULDN'T go to those meetings, from a constitutional standpoint you can't forbid it, which I think makes sense. Again, I'd like to think a majority of the churches/temples/mosques/whathaveyous would discourage the elderly/susceptible from coming out, but idk, i feel like your responses have a touch of non-objectivity in them... like, going back to my original point, why is grocery shopping in person essential? or why are any retail stores essential then?

point being, isn't the status of essentiality a personal decision? also, if mods think this is wading into dangerous non-covid discussion waters, please edit/delete my responses

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyOwns

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
why bother responding to an obvious troll that's been on the boards for a month

@Davegarri
I also had Swine Flu in 2009. Absolute hell

Dude swine flu was awful. I remember I felt so sick in school on Friday, but had a high school football game that day so i sucked it up. Problem was it was 40 degrees and pouring rain so it made things so much worse.

I went home and slept from Friday night until I had to get up for school Monday. Woke up totally fine Monday ready to go lol

My brother was bad though, he had to go to urgent care and get fluids and shit. He was close to going to the ER for it.

Reactions: johnny pierogi

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i feel like your responses have a touch of non-objectivity in them...

yeah lol that's probably true

like, going back to my original point, why is grocery shopping in person essential? or why are any retail stores essential then?

well, groceries (food and beverage) are essential. any store where you're buying something could be essential, depending on your circumstances. hell, alcohol and weed shops were deemed essential, and thank f*** for that. but i don't see how church is essential. prayer can be done in the home, church services can be done virtually...i know people who do a drive-thru communion every week, if you can believe it.

stuffing a bunch of blue hairs inside a building seems like a recipe for disaster

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yeah lol that's probably true

well, groceries (food and beverage) are essential. any store where you're buying something could be essential, depending on your circumstances. hell, alcohol and weed shops were deemed essential, and thank f*** for that. but i don't see how church is essential. prayer can be done in the home, church services can be done virtually...i know people who do a drive-thru communion every week, if you can believe it.

stuffing a bunch of blue hairs inside a building seems like a recipe for disaster
lol appreciate the admission there of nonobjectivity

but what i'm sayin is like, the definition of essential seems to vary - maybe grocery store wasn't the best example, but clothing stores and other specialized stores are open, but you could just as easily buy everything online. i think belief is a tough grey area so it's not like i don't see where you're coming from, but i can understand the supreme court decision and justification for it. but it's not like i don't see the pitfalls of it either, of course

the only solution is really for people to wear their damn masks and minimize contact. hopefully this won't contribute to a spike in cases, but who really knows how to track that

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the only solution is really for people to wear their damn masks and minimize contact. hopefully this won't contribute to a spike in cases, but who really knows how to track that

on that note, is anyone doing black friday shopping today? i'd be curious to hear how stores are managing that this year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Normally, we all meet at my Aunt and Uncle's. That's them, my two cousins and their spouses and kids, my Mom, my brother and his spouse and their kids, and myself and my girlfriend. But my Uncle is high risk and my one cousin just had a baby so we decided it's too risky.

So then we decided to just do my brother and his spouse and kids, my Mom, and my girlfriend and I at my brother's house. But my brother is high risk and my mom is old (NEVER tell my Italian mom I said that), and I've been riding the subway to work and my girlfriend's career involves a lot of indoor work and I felt nervous that I could have it and pass it on. I get tested bi-weekly for work but I had to ride the subway since the last one, so I decided not to.

My girlfriend and I had a nice Thanksgiving at our place though, so it wasn't terrible. I just miss my family. I never go this long without seeing them.
I hear ya. My family is much smaller which I was why I had asked what it's normally like for you. We did a normal Thanksgiving for us which consists of myself, my wife, our two kids, my parents, and my brother. That's it but even then there were some reservations as far as whether we should or not everyone knows the risks and was ok with it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
on that note, is anyone doing black friday shopping today? i'd be curious to hear how stores are managing that this year.
I know a lot of stores weren't doing the "door buster" line up hours before we open type shit this year. I'm happy about that actually, I never understood the hype around doing it but I know a feel ppl who do. Home Depot and Walmart staggered things throughout this month that they had one sale. I would bet a lot of stores did as well.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I know a lot of stores weren't doing the "door buster" line up hours before we open type shit this year. I'm happy about that actually, I never understood the hype around doing it but I know a feel ppl who do. Home Depot and Walmart staggered things throughout this month that they had one sale. I would bet a lot of stores did as well.
hasn't been the same the last 10 years, i'd argue, thanks to online shopping being amazing as it is

doesn't feel the same though lol

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
hasn't been the same the last 10 years, i'd argue, thanks to online shopping being amazing as it is

doesn't feel the same though lol
I've gone "Black Friday" shopping twice in my life. Once was to get seasons of a show for like $5 on DVD (obviously a while ago) and like 9 years ago to Target for a TV. I'll never do it again. I don't think it's worth it. Friends and family do it more as a tradition but yeah, online is for me. For everything, even ordering food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad