LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If anyone plays LoL or TFT, add me: LatvianTwist

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
Anyone else nerdy enough to be excited by Baldur’s Gate 3?

I feel ambivalent / conflicted with Larian as the developer. I've played the old baldur's gates through several times and the same with pretty much all Larian games. Hell my idea of fun is to replay might and magic series so perhaps I'm permanently damaged or just like the genre. What Larian did well was the combat system and you couldn't grind exp in original sins instead you were forced to do all the missions you could find to get your party up to snuff. What I'm afraid of is that what used to be story driven turns into a combat simulator with D&D rules (ToEE). Time will tell and I'll be playing it no matter what.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I feel ambivalent / conflicted with Larian as the developer. I've played the old baldur's gates through several times and the same with pretty much all Larian games. Hell my idea of fun is to replay might and magic series so perhaps I'm permanently damaged or just like the genre. What Larian did well was the combat system and you couldn't grind exp in original sins instead you were forced to do all the missions you could find to get your party up to snuff. What I'm afraid of is that what used to be story driven turns into a combat simulator with D&D rules (ToEE). Time will tell and I'll be playing it no matter what.
It’s still early but if you read what Larian is saying, BG3 will be much more character and story driven than DOS was. I’m personally a bigger fan of the combat in these games so if it leans more towards that, I’ll be happy with it.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
you are aware that
Consoles are just cheapish locked down pcs with tons of limitations on how well the software can perform so that it can actually run the games right? Hell the Xbox even runs windows 10.
in theory
in reality pc ports are often horribly optimized
juggling launchers is a pain
"buy" a game online and you're stuck with it and can't resell it when you get bored with it
with keyboard and mouse support for consoles and 60 fps for sub $350 if i insist why would i spend the extra couple hundred, minimum, on a pc and monitor?
pc gaming isn't as much of a sham as it was maybe 7-8 years ago but it is still very much a meme

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
why would i spend the extra couple hundred, minimum, on a pc and monitor?

Well, if you like the kind of games I like and are also patient and able to wait a few years to play a new game (easy to do when the backlog is so large), then you can get more than enough games in Steam sales for under $10 (many for under $5) to last until the next sale. There's also a large number of free games on PC that are quite good, many made as labors-of-love that have no monetization whatsoever. The money saved on games rapidly makes up the extra spent on hardware as long as your tastes aren't so narrow as to only want to play big budget, AAA games on release day.

Plus, if you like strategy games (I do very much), the console offerings are woeful compared to what's available on PC.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This announcement makes it pretty unlikely the league returns before 8 weeks. It sounded like the NHL was hoping to get players back in facilities pretty soon. I think they were likely thinking more like 30 days which is what I believe the NBA initially indicated was the minimum time they'd be gone.

If you start playing hockey again in May, I think it's doable to still award the Cup like they are hoping, but it's going to be something entirely new. Maybe it's just starting the playoffs immediately with a shortened Round 1, but it would make sense to shorten all the rounds potentially, play a few more regular season games, and possibly just expand the playoffs with some play in games.

There are too many teams in the East and the West that were surging and close. You'd think the answer, at least temporarily would be some sort of play in system.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sounds like Canada may be in full lockdown within 48 hours.

US probably won't be too far behind.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pretty much the whole world will be on lockdown for months now. NHL , NBA and whatever is not coming back this year , the Olympic Games will not happen and so on and so worth .

Hell most of the travel within the US happen via airplanes i sincerely doubt thats going to be safe enough to be allowed for a while.

This is going to really suck for a few months now.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The hysteria over this nonsense is getting out of hand. I went grocery shopping today for the first time in a month (not doomsday idiot buying shit because reasons, just regular grocery shopping)

All forms of Beef, Pork, Chicken were gone, TP, Bleach, Baby food, were all cleared out.
But all the Gluten free, hippy bullshit products that everyone loves every other day of the year were in full stock.
had to actually pre-pay for meat at the butchers counter for the next order coming it, just to get a couple pounds of ground beef to make burgers with.
Everybody is acting like this thing has a 50+% mortality rate. The most ridiculous overreaction I've seen since every "brownish" person post 9/11 was a terrorist in the immediate aftermath anyway, in fact maybe ever

Reactions: Kelly Robinson

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You guys in the US ( and also Canada ) ain't seen nothing yet. Hoarding food is obviously stupid but this is going to get much worse . The type of things that happened where i live in the last few days and what some frieds told me and showed me and what has been reported in the last ~3-4 days if you told me anything like this was possible just a month ago i'd have called you completely crazy .

Reactions: Starry Knight

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You guys in the US ( and also Canada ) ain't seen nothing yet. Hoarding food is obviously stupid but this is going to get much worse . The type of things that happened where i live in the last few days and what some frieds told me and showed me and what has been reported in the last ~3-4 days if you told me anything like this was possible just a month ago i'd have called you completely crazy .
Where about are you located? I've heard some crazy shit is going on in Europe, but even though i generally trust the person who told me, it seemed a bit far fetch

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Where about are you located? I've heard some crazy shit is going on in Europe, but even though i generally trust the person who told me, it seemed a bit far fetch

Eastern part of Germany ~200 km west of Berlin. It's not bad here , at least yet , and likely won't get as bad as in some other regions but there's some very drastic measures right now.

The majority of the cases in Germany right are from the idiotic carneval events that still had to happen in february and people going skiing in Italy and Austria / generally vacationing . Likely means most infected right now are younger people which would explain the lower death rate up to this point here.

Buddy of mine send me pictures of police squads going around in Berlin from last night making sure nobody is on the streets and no bars , clubs and other entertaintment things are open.

Another one was just in Barcelona and what he told me and send was sounded really crazy from the last two days. When he drove to the airport was like after an apocalyptic event happened . You will never see cities this empty .

I can't tell you about areas where its truely critical , at least not yet , because i don't know anyone from there .

Last edited:

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
I'm from Italy, northern Italy...and it's bad...
3-4 weeks ago we acted like you now, nobody could believe that it will get this bad.
But here we are, we are not allowed to leave our homes, but the most important thing ist that 90% of the people now think this are the right actions to stop this shit.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I work in the sports industry so I will have no paycheck for a while it seems. I haven't had a single hour of work since the NBA/MLB/NHL paused, not looking good for now.

Also, it's hilariously annoying seeing everybody hoard supplies. Idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad