COVID-19 Discussion: NBA, MLS, MLB, and NHL suspended

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I work in the sports industry so I will have no paycheck for a while it seems. I haven't had a single hour of work since the NBA/MLB/NHL paused, not looking good for now.

Also, it's hilariously annoying seeing everybody hoard supplies. Idiots.

Sorry to hear that man.

My office is instituting work from home, but when the schools close down next week, along with daycares (assuming - they haven't mentioned anything yet) there won't be much "work" happening at home for me.

Reactions: Henderson33

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I have to believe that in the end, they will just decide to cancel the season and start up again in October 2020 as normal.

The logistics of all these proposals are fun to contemplate, but harder to implement. So what is worse, skipping a Stanley Cup one year, or having two shortened seasons in a row? Considering revenues, of course, not to mention wear and tear, arena scheduling, etc.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
It wasn't their year anyways. It's exciting to think about next seasons roster though and see what kind of buyouts/roster shakeups might come down across the league.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Daly told LeBrun that the NHL's primary goal regardless of how this season plays out is 82 games next season.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Are players allowed to go on vacation at this time as long as they are possibly able to return by the 27th?
I know most went home but saw Seguin might be in The Bahamas?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Are players allowed to go on vacation at this time as long as they are possibly able to return by the 27th?

I sincerely doubt at this point countries less effected are letting in anyone coming from the united states. Also if you are on vacation right now you better have your own plane to fly back because otherwise you might be stuck there indefinitely.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

They were all sent home early last week. There's nothing stopping them from traveling other than what would stop you and I from traveling as well.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Are players allowed to be on vacation or out of the country? I assume they have to go home if they want wherever that might be but I would think vacation would be off limits or look politically incorrect.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Are players allowed to be on vacation or out of the country? I assume they have to go home if they want wherever that might be but I would think vacation would be off limits or look politically incorrect.

The NHL can't and won't enforce what players do in their off-time, just like any other employer.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
They were all sent home early last week. There's nothing stopping them from traveling other than what would stop you and I from traveling as well.
No issue with them traveling to their home state/country. Just wondering if some where vacationing in Mexico or the Caribbean and if the owners would be ok with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No issue with them traveling to their home state/country. Just wondering if some where vacationing in Mexico or the Caribbean and if the owners would be ok with that?

I know. If your boss told you you weren't allowed to travel during your vacation time, would you like that?

Players are people too. Owners can't restrict their day-to-day lives. I'm sure the NHL would prefer if their players stayed at home (hell, they probably recommended it), but it's not their business to mandate that.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I know. If your boss told you you weren't allowed to travel during your vacation time, would you like that?

Players are people too. Owners can't restrict their day-to-day lives. I'm sure the NHL would prefer if their players stayed at home (hell, they probably recommended it), but it's not their business to mandate that.

Not to get into technicalities but this isn't your usual "vacation time" though. But still can't restrict going places that's true. I guess the convo was more about "sending the wrong message".

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

My company told us to stay in Canada during this outbreak. Anyone travelling right now is a psycho.

One million Canadians returned to Canada last week. This isn't the time for vacation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/three-flight-peru-champagne-1.5506506

Reactions: serp

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

Not meaning traveling but instead some are treating it like a bye week and not going to your home or home state but going on a vacation instead,
There is a difference. They are still under contract and under the assumption play would resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad