COVID-19 Discussion: NBA, MLS, MLB, and NHL suspended

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We can go ahead and put all COVID-19 (coronavirus) here. It’s become big enough for its own thread.

NCAA tournament to proceed (as of now) with no audience.

NBA totally suspended after Rudy Gobert tested positive and forced two teams to go into quarantine.

NHL not doing anything yet, but will make an announcement tomorrow morning. Columbus and San Jose aren’t able to play with an audience for the foreseeable future.

100K+ cases and 4K+ deaths so far, those numbers are likely to spike now that it’s an official pandemic and more places SHOULD begin to test more. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have it, both are in high risk groups.

Let’s keep all COVID talk here. Please refrain from politics outside of facts.

There will be a new subforum for the virus as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Can't even imagine the number of cases in the U.S. that we don't even know about yet

I'd be shocked if the NHL kept games going. Everything just seemed to escalate today. E3 also got cancelled today I believe and I'm sure other events too

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
SXSW, the music/art/tech event in Austin, was also cancelled. They usually can expect 500K visitors.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Would be the most dallas thing to make it to the post season just barely because of an pandemic :laugh::laugh:
Well that would work out in their favor. If only they could change up the system in time for the playoffs. You can watch the games and see how far back the top players at the blue line are. It’s as if they want to play offense 3v5 cause they want their guys to defend in the offensive zone. Bowness has to go.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't care if they cancel the season as long as Nill is gone... I mean it would suck for hockey to end now, but we realistically had about a month left only anyway

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Corona virus is here , I don’t see how you could possibly contain it now . I guess this might buy some time but that’s about it . If the season ends there’s probably not gonna be any playoffs either ..

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's the smart thing to do, I would bet a lot that some players already have it in their system. Just cancel it now and take some PR points by making it look like you really care about player safety.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's the smart thing to do, I would bet a lot that some players already have it in their system. Just cancel it now and take some PR points by making it look like you really care about player safety.

There's a BOG call at 1 PM EST where I suspect we'll get this.

I completely agree with you, but the owners are not going to lightly throw away tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reactions: Henderson33

serp

Jan 17, 2016
To be expected. At this point anything else would be stupid.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
How the heck would that work for players without contracts after June 30?

They can certainly amend the CBA to just push everything back a bit.

If that does happen, I'd be curious to see if they just shorten the offseason or if we see this have an effect on schedules years from now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Seems to me, again cynically, its a perfect opportunity to try a shorter season. Then, proclaim it worked well, and in the next year, add more playoff teams to get another round of playoffs in at higher revenues.

Reactions: Blindsummit

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

This made me thing of the video yesterday they showed of him joking around and touching everyone's microphone at the press conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad