COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So I am Jewish. I think that I mentioned that before.

I am not very religious, but my father wanted to go to the High Holiday services. I wanted to make him happy, I agreed as long as we were masked and if we sat at least 10 feet away from anyone else. No air-conditioning so I felt safe enough.

People did separate. Kinda. Families sat together. To start there was separation. But then some sat one row in front of the other. But it was not in front of me. Then a couple of people decided to have a conversation. For ten minutes. Right in front of me.

I love my father. I want to make him happy. But I am not going back tomorrow.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So I am Jewish. I think that I mentioned that before.

I am not very religious, but my father wanted to go to the High Holiday services. I wanted to make him happy, I agreed as long as we were masked and if we sat at least 10 feet away from anyone else. No air-conditioning so I felt safe enough.

People did separate. Kinda. Families sat together. To start there was separation. But then some sat one row in front of the other. But it was not in front of me. Then a couple of people decided to have a conversation. For ten minutes. Right in front of me.

I love my father. I want to make him happy. But I am not going back tomorrow.

Why are the temples having in person services? Mine were on Zoom, where they should be...ridiculous

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why are the temples having in person services? Mine were on Zoom, where they should be...ridiculous

I agree. Small congregation, so I thought that there would be minimal risk. Really easy to social distance, a ton of empty seats. And they couldn't even manage that. Some did not even have masks.

I always have expectations and they continuously fail even the most basic tests.

I told the story of taking my GF to the zoo for her birthday in June and how not a single thing was done to protect anyone.

I am the idiot for expecting more. Or anything.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched Contagion. Good movie. Living in a pandemic it’s eerie how it gets a lot of things right, but some wrong.

Similar origin and transmission but much deadlier and contagious than C19. Wonder if there’s any epidemiological takes on the film’s realism because to me the virus seems too severe too early and overall too deadly to spread as quickly as it does- and they never really explain why it’s deadly, just that it goes from severe flu-like symptoms to something brain-related. They also don’t delve into things we’re dealing with now like *how* immune someone is and for how long- it’s explained that some have a natural immunity but no reason given. But with all this it’d need to stretch into a series or something.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just watched Contagion. Good movie. Living in a pandemic it’s eerie how it gets a lot of things right, but some wrong.

Similar origin and transmission but much deadlier and contagious than C19. Wonder if there’s any epidemiological takes on the film’s realism because to me the virus seems too severe too early and overall too deadly to spread as quickly as it does- and they never really explain why it’s deadly, just that it goes from severe flu-like symptoms to something brain-related. They also don’t delve into things we’re dealing with now like *how* immune someone is and for how long- it’s explained that some have a natural immunity but no reason given. But with all this it’d need to stretch into a series or something.

For a second I thought that you meant that Dustin Hoffman piece of garbage made around the same time. Then I remembered that was Outbreak. I was going to ask you how much you had been drinking.

Contagion was much better.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Outbreak was made like ten years before Contagion no?

I have no clue without googling it.

With everything streaming now it is really hard to tell when things were made.

Either I saw them long ago, and as you get older it gets harder and harder to tell how many years ago anything was, or you never saw it and it is new to you as it popped up on Netflix.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have no clue without googling it.

With everything streaming now it is really hard to tell when things were made.

Either I saw them long ago, and as you get older it gets harder and harder to tell how many years ago anything was, or you never saw it and it is new to you as it popped up on Netflix.

Likely excuse “Faded-Fan”. I feel like Outbreak and Congo were a double feature at the drive-in ala Dante’s Peak and Volcano or Deep Impact and Armageddon.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If I could count on people being responsible I would not worry about this.

All historical data says that is not a bet anyone should take.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I read something where this virus will go through your area regardless. If you close down, it will only be a matter of time when you open up for it to hit. I know some people in England. They hid from it and now it ran right through when they opened. Small sample size and ZERO science backing here... but to me it sounds right from my experience.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I read something where this virus will go through your area regardless. If you close down, it will only be a matter of time when you open up for it to hit. I know some people in England. They hid from it and now it ran right through when they opened. Small sample size and ZERO science backing here... but to me it sounds right from my experience.

Unless you really hammer people for doing dumb things. The UK just imposed around a $13,000 fine for violating their rules. That is the kind of thing that may get the attention of even the stupidest person.

Reactions: Factorial

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Unless you really hammer people for doing dumb things. The UK just imposed around a $13,000 fine for violating their rules. That is the kind of thing that may get the attention of even the stupidest person.

People have no fn clue how great we have it. I am so thankful. I am so grateful.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People have no fn clue how great we have it. I am so thankful. I am so grateful.

With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Unfortunately far too many dumb asses around that don't deserve it.

I honestly only barely mind that they are Darwining themselves out of existence. They are almost doing the gene pool a service. Except that usually it is someone else that they are killing instead.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like it. And if you lock down too early, people won’t abide because the threat seems distant.

And if you don’t lock down at all, people’s behavior will change based on the perceived threat anyway.

So I’m not really sure what the best option here is. Places that looked real good like Taiwan and NZ might be screwed, they need tourism but can’t afford to import cases to a place with very low immunity.

I still think we need like a Geneva Convention for pandemics where the protocol from day one is followed by all signatories. If a virus pops up in country X, all other countries quarantine that country while that country quarantines on a more local scale. Sucks for them but beats the hell out of a global pandemic and resulting economic downturn that will last years. You figure out what you’re dealing with, share info and go from there. If you have citizens that need to get out you fly them out and quarantine them at no expense. Again, still a lot cheaper than all *this*.

And not to be negative but I think there’s a good chance we’ll have more. Maybe some bad flus or other coronaviruses, maybe something else like West Nile or Ebola, but with the way society is right now with humans being so congested and hyper-mobile but also still kind of lacking in our ability to fight viruses with medical science (compared to say bacterial infections), and I think we’re in an age ripe for more viral pandemics. Maybe like a few every couple decades.

There’s a lot of info coming out about C19 like its true IFR or post-viral stages that we just have nothing to compare and contrast to. This kind of data is difficult if not impossible to dig up on cold and flu strains, I assume, because there’s never been a will or the money to study these things. But if we had invested in studying these benign viruses that info would be helping us right now with the more serious virus.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Seems like it. And if you lock down too early, people won’t abide because the threat seems distant.

And if you don’t lock down at all, people’s behavior will change based on the perceived threat anyway.

So I’m not really sure what the best option here is. Places that looked real good like Taiwan and NZ might be screwed, they need tourism but can’t afford to import cases to a place with very low immunity.

I still think we need like a Geneva Convention for pandemics where the protocol from day one is followed by all signatories. If a virus pops up in country X, all other countries quarantine that country while that country quarantines on a more local scale. Sucks for them but beats the hell out of a global pandemic and resulting economic downturn that will last years. You figure out what you’re dealing with, share info and go from there. If you have citizens that need to get out you fly them out and quarantine them at no expense. Again, still a lot cheaper than all *this*.
While I agree with this, there's no way countries are going to voluntarily become isolated from the rest of the world, just ain't happening.

On a more practical note, I don't think this would even work. With the amount of global travel and commerce in today's world, something like a virus is going to spread far before people realize it's a problem. Just look at this virus, people think it was here weeks before it was making news anywhere.

And not to be negative but I think there’s a good chance we’ll have more. Maybe some bad flus or other coronaviruses, maybe something else like West Nile or Ebola, but with the way society is right now with humans being so congested and hyper-mobile but also still kind of lacking in our ability to fight viruses with medical science (compared to say bacterial infections), and I think we’re in an age ripe for more viral pandemics. Maybe like a few every couple decades.

There’s a lot of info coming out about C19 like its true IFR or post-viral stages that we just have nothing to compare and contrast to. This kind of data is difficult if not impossible to dig up on cold and flu strains, I assume, because there’s never been a will or the money to study these things. But if we had invested in studying these benign viruses that info would be helping us right now with the more serious virus.
There's no doubt that this will happen again (getting some serious Battlestar Galactica vibes typing that). For the same reason as above, how connected the world is means that any bad infectious agent is going to spread. With increased pollution, unhealthier populations from obesity, denser cities, etc we live in a world where any bad virus is going to go global.

Your last paragraph is key. We need to learn from this. There needs to be a pandemic playbook, vaccine technology needs funding, better antivirals need developed, and all this is going to take effort. I just hope people don't forget about this a few years after it dies down and decided to disband pandemic response teams and remove funding from research.

It's scary stuff

Reactions: Jacob

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

If you're gonna do something like that though, it has to be consistent. Can't fine people for attending in-person services at a church and then not fine people for gathering outside the Supreme Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad