COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Again. The virus doesn't care if you are at a BLM rally, Trump Rally, or at the beach or bar.

Indoors is worse, but only marginally so. Outdoors is NOT completely safe. Especially unmasked and sitting/marching shoulder to shoulder.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
If you're gonna do something like that though, it has to be consistent. Can't fine people for attending in-person services at a church and then not fine people for gathering outside the Supreme Court.

Hmm idk, I think there's a difference between those two things.

One is important to help shape the future - protests, rallies, etc probably aren't very effective from behind computer screens. And while the social aspect of church is important to a lot of people and it's a shame for that to be lost for a time, I don't see why people can't worship their gods at home just as well.

With that said anyone who participates in these type of political or non-political rallies/protests/whatever should be doing it outside, maintaining social distance and wearing masks. I think that's where the police should be involved, not to shut those events down, but to keep them organized safely.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like something the police can handle without incident, particularly at anti-police protests.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hmm idk, I think there's a difference between those two things.

One is important to help shape the future - protests, rallies, etc probably aren't very effective from behind computer screens. And while the social aspect of church is important to a lot of people and it's a shame for that to be lost for a time, I don't see why people can't worship their gods at home just as well.

With that said anyone who participates in these type of political or non-political rallies/protests/whatever should be doing it outside, maintaining social distance and wearing masks. I think that's where the police should be involved, not to shut those events down, but to keep them organized safely.

Agree completely.

In theory.

However, in reality have you seen a single video of any kind of rally, gathering, beach video, bar video that had many doing the right things?

I haven't.

I wish that people would do the right thing. But I know that they never will. You would have to arrest and fine almost everyone.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Agree completely.

In theory.

However, in reality have you seen a single video of any kind of rally, gathering, beach video, bar video that had many doing the right things?

I haven't.

I wish that people would do the right thing. But I know that they never will. You would have to arrest and fine almost everyone.

I think you'd have to organize the venue before hand, which can't really be done with sudden events like RGB's death or another murder by police, but with political rallies it should be very doable.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you'd have to organize the venue before hand, which can't really be done with sudden events like RGB's death or another murder by police, but with political rallies it should be very doable.

I am not as hopeful as you, but if they could pull it off, then fine.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
There are like 3 cases (all self-isolating) in New Brunswick - an entire freakin’ province. Yet my neighbour looks at me like I’m Satan when I walk outside in the morning.

Reactions: KIRK and ColePens

Sideline

May 23, 2004
There are like 3 cases (all self-isolating) in New Brunswick - an entire freakin’ province. Yet my neighbour looks at me like I’m Satan when I walk outside in the morning.

I'm all for maintaining the Atlantic bubble to keep our numbers that low, but I agree. People need to chill out over families walking in the park and other low risk stuff.

Reactions: BHD

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think this is a learning experience as we go. Everyone knows my story. I help take care of a father who has lung cancer. MASSIVELY high risk as he is 73. But even I can understand the need for businesses to be open. The need for people to actually be able to do things. The need for people to actually be able to go to gyms, restaurants, church, etc.

Now remember - people, like myself, can elect to stay in a red zone where we cannot go out because we take care of a loved one. But people CANNOT go out in fear or be looked at with some unjustified manner.

Long story short - I think we are learning a few things:
1) WE CAN take proper action by social distancing and wearing masks to help one another.
2) WE CAN go shop and be proactive for our senior citizens. Make sure you TRY to help them with their needs.
3) WE CAN keep the economy open to also allow people to feed their families, pay rent, pay mortgages, etc. And we can do it safely.
4) WE CAN open the economy because it is being proven right now that you can lock down for as long as you want, this thing will hit. IE: England.

Just silly covid thoughts as we progress in this world.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and BHD

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is there any data on excess deaths / all cause mortality compared to averages in countries that don’t show high case counts or don’t have the money or infrastructure to test sufficiently?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think this is a learning experience as we go. Everyone knows my story. I help take care of a father who has lung cancer. MASSIVELY high risk as he is 73. But even I can understand the need for businesses to be open. The need for people to actually be able to do things. The need for people to actually be able to go to gyms, restaurants, church, etc.

Now remember - people, like myself, can elect to stay in a red zone where we cannot go out because we take care of a loved one. But people CANNOT go out in fear or be looked at with some unjustified manner.

Long story short - I think we are learning a few things:
1) WE CAN take proper action by social distancing and wearing masks to help one another.
2) WE CAN go shop and be proactive for our senior citizens. Make sure you TRY to help them with their needs.
3) WE CAN keep the economy open to also allow people to feed their families, pay rent, pay mortgages, etc. And we can do it safely.
4) WE CAN open the economy because it is being proven right now that you can lock down for as long as you want, this thing will hit. IE: England.

Just silly covid thoughts as we progress in this world.

I feel so bad for people in COVID hotzones. You and I are both caring for super high risk elderly family members. I think it's easy to forget how stressful that is in normal times. Like I love my Dad and he's dealing with so much, but he can be such a stubborn jackass. Add on a global pandemic and it's just more shit for him to rant about. At least here I can point out our COVID cases are basically zero.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel so bad for people in COVID hotzones. You and I are both caring for super high risk elderly family members. I think it's easy to forget how stressful that is in normal times. Like I love my Dad and he's dealing with so much, but he can be such a stubborn jackass. Add on a global pandemic and it's just more shit for him to rant about. At least here I can point out our COVID cases are basically zero.

I can DEFINITELY empathize and feel ya on this. I'm in the same damn boat all around.

Reactions: Sideline

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, the second wave sucks bad, but at least we got a few months of normalish living out of it from May until a few weeks ago. You guys are gonna be lucky to have the first wave crest at all, the way things are going in the US.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So pubs will close from 10pm in England from Thursday

Because you know, COVID doesn't exist at night

And you can go to a friends to drink after. So dumb

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Michigan infant with COVID died from serious birth defect

The baby's mother, Brooke Granquist, declined to comment when reached by The News on Friday. But in a Facebook post that has since been removed, Granquist expressed her anger over the state attributing her child's death to COVID-19.

“I am angry. I am so ANGRY. If you heard the state of Michigan report on COVID this morning, you may have heard a 2 month old baby died of COVID. I need everyone to know that (my child) did NOT die of COVID," she wrote.

"According to the autopsy (which has been told to me via phone but not yet by mail), (my child) suffered a bowel perforation and an infection because of it... this is directly related to his gastroschisis. I am so angry. I am angry at the government for skewing numbers and making my baby a statistic to try and benefit their agenda while my family is suffering."

cc: @ColePens, @Jaded-Fan

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
NBC 5 Investigates: Outdated State Computer System Caused Late COVID-19 Case Reports

The Texas DSHS confirms it has already reported more than 508,000 COVID-19 lab reports weeks or months late. Some were positive COVID-19 tests and some were negative results.

Report is from two weeks ago and NOTE doesn't change the numbers of diagnoses, but it does suggest that the curve for the 7 day rolling average of new cases is skewed (should've been higher before and lower now, which makes sense if you look at the curves for most other states).

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Michigan infant with COVID died from serious birth defect

The baby's mother, Brooke Granquist, declined to comment when reached by The News on Friday. But in a Facebook post that has since been removed, Granquist expressed her anger over the state attributing her child's death to COVID-19.

“I am angry. I am so ANGRY. If you heard the state of Michigan report on COVID this morning, you may have heard a 2 month old baby died of COVID. I need everyone to know that (my child) did NOT die of COVID," she wrote.

"According to the autopsy (which has been told to me via phone but not yet by mail), (my child) suffered a bowel perforation and an infection because of it... this is directly related to his gastroschisis. I am so angry. I am angry at the government for skewing numbers and making my baby a statistic to try and benefit their agenda while my family is suffering."

cc: @ColePens, @Jaded-Fan

A mother and father should NEVER have to bury their child. Absolute heartbreak. And disgusting she even has to deal with the other stuff. Disgusting stuff.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Again. The virus doesn't care if you are at a BLM rally, Trump Rally, or at the beach or bar.

Indoors is worse, but only marginally so. Outdoors is NOT completely safe. Especially unmasked and sitting/marching shoulder to shoulder.

I read the link and saw this . . .

UPDATED 1:17 p.m.: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday removed guidance it had posted on its website Friday that said airborne transmissions of the coronavirus were “thought to be the main way the virus spreads.”

Then I clicked on the link from @Randy Butternubs (Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission), and it SEEMS to say the same thing.

Honestly, this goes to the question of whether 6 foot distancing is worth a damn . . . commented because I clicked the links and noticed this.

In the end, it doesn't alter the equation in terms of what we've been saying about all large crowds, indoor gatherings, etc.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A mother and father should NEVER have to bury their child. Absolute heartbreak. And disgusting she even has to deal with the other stuff. Disgusting stuff.

I certainly understand the outrage (and then the decision to pull the post to avoid being part of the spectacle any further). Truly, I can think of nothing more unnatural or heart wrenching than a parent having to bury their child.

EDIT: I'm sure you know that I only included the link for informational purposes, because the subject of infant mortality from COVID-19 was discussed a few days ago (not sure if this was the case being discussed or if there was another).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I read the link and saw this . . .

UPDATED 1:17 p.m.: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday removed guidance it had posted on its website Friday that said airborne transmissions of the coronavirus were “thought to be the main way the virus spreads.”

Then I clicked on the link from @Randy Butternubs (Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission), and it SEEMS to say the same thing.

Honestly, this goes to the question of whether 6 foot distancing is worth a damn . . . commented because I clicked the links and noticed this.

In the end, it doesn't alter the equation in terms of what we've been saying about all large crowds, indoor gatherings, etc.

Yeah, I saw the "UPDATE". It's not like I didn't know what to believe before this, but now I'm slightly more confused.

I'll just keep doing the mask wearing and social distancing.

Reactions: KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's almost allowing your main body of scientific medical research and disease prevention to have partisan political appointees is a terrible idea or something.

Trump appointees sought to alter CDC scientific reports so they don't contradict or undermine the president

Scientific research needs to be rigorous and fact-based, regardless of who is in office. It was a terrible idea under Democratic administrations and it's an especially terrible idea now, during a highly contested election year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad