COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely false.

There is nothing to indicate that the economy or people's mental health is remotely close to breaking. We should have confined people to their homes 3 months ago.

I suspect we have differing views of what it would take for the economy to break (and I'll leave it there out of respect for @ColePens' thread rules).

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I’ve felt that way every week of my parental life even though my daughter is grown...and I still feel that way...lol

My daughters (18 and 21) love it and I blame my ex who is half Italian. I'm a WASP, what do I know.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
My daughters (18 and 21) love it and I blame my ex who is half Italian. I'm a WASP, what do I know.
Bad news, brother, your WASP genes could be responsible for your daughters predilections, although that is genetic lottery and certainly NOT your fault! ;-) No self-respecting Italian would patronize a place like OG who's linchpin marketing is "endless" whatever, breadsticks, pasta, etc. After Covid is over, send the ladies to N. Italy. They will return enlightened, and likely partial to fish. I have a similar struggle with my sons and "Mexican" food. We seem to appropriate and ruin everything. Except french fries. French fries are the best.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Good this is going into Phase 3. That said, part I don’t get about this phase is the length. I heard they’ll follow the test patients for two years but if it’s looking solid after a couple of months, FDA might give it the go ahead for production. What gets them there? Sufficient data? Good modeling extrapolation?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
ugh that's pretty awful. 78% of folks in the german study have some level of heart damage that may or may not be permanent. not a huge study but still, and they were folks with no pre-existing conditions and they state most were returning skiers and around 49 years old. yikes!

Those type of results are concerning enough that you need larger studies offering longer tracking times and measuring extent for the group.

Whether or not it holds in the larger studies is immaterial. The limited study for me is prima facie evidence validating larger, more extensive studies on COVID-19 and heart damage.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
United States Coronavirus: 4,433,410 Cases and 150,444 Deaths - Worldometer

Arizona and now Texas are well into their downward trend in terms of the 7 day rolling average of new diagnoses. The 7 day rolling average of deaths in Arizona hit its plateau 9 days ago and in Texas appears that it may have hit its plateau a few days ago . . . peaks at significantly lower numbers per 1M residents than the NE states.

Florida is now 13% off its July 17 peak in 7 day rolling averages of new diagnoses. The 7 day rolling average of deaths appear to have hit their plateau.

Alabama is about 9% off its July 19 peak. It may not be in the full downward trend, but it has been at a plateau for the last 10 days. Rolling averages of deaths have inched up, but the rise in the curve definitely has slowed a lot, suggesting a plateau may be starting in the next few days.

Georgia has been at a plateau for the last week in 7 day rolling averages of new diagnoses, but there's no downward trend at this time.

Nice to see the positive trends continuing in the last 24 hours.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
ugh that's pretty awful. 78% of folks in the german study have some level of heart damage that may or may not be permanent. not a huge study but still, and they were folks with no pre-existing conditions and they state most were returning skiers and around 49 years old. yikes!
it’s called viral myocarditis. it is a common and temporary outcome of many viral infections and typically resolves in a few months. 60 of the 78 in the german study have viral myocarditis. heart inflammation and damage from viruses is not new no matter how the media wants to report it. it is unlikely to shorten anyone’s lifespan

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Since half of your reply addresses things that I didn't address, I still have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just note that I know people who got COVID after listening to Fauci tell them on March 9 that it was okay to go on cruises if they felt well. Clearly, little things like this-- and the idea that ALL public officials should be setting an example-- are more important to me than to you, so I'll agree to disagree and call it a day with you.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I apologize that I addressed multiple items as I don't reply as frequently as some other posters, but I've linked where you referred to Fauci as a saint. However I don't think it really matters since you again have no idea what I am talking about after I clarified what I was referring to and you again insinuate I am making arguments that I am not making and have never made, I suggest you ignore all my posts in this thread since my posts are apparently indecipherable.
___

I am surprised that a respiratory study wasn't one of the first ones done to look for post infection complications considering that most of the initial focus and fear was that the virus was a respiratory centric one. My fear is that similar to SARS there will be long term lung issues. This study from this year was a small longitudinal one that had a sizable number of patients with reduced capability some 15+ years afterwards.

___

And as I predicted.

Some actually believed that the US had a monopoly on stupid selfish people.

This virus humbles those who get smug and superior. You are only as good as your weakest links. And those live throughout the world.

I don't think anyone was saying that the countries that did well would stay that way indefinitely without future interventions. At best, every country was always going to have to do some sort of rolling clamp down/relaxation as certain areas show increased cases. I think it is fair to say that Europe and Asia have shown that even moderate rollback of restrictions have shown to lead to spikes in cases and it seems that a decent portion of these have been traced from bars/night clubs and international travel.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it’s called viral myocarditis. it is a common and temporary outcome of many viral infections and typically resolves in a few months. 60 of the 78 in the german study have viral myocarditis. heart inflammation and damage from viruses is not new no matter how the media wants to report it. it is unlikely to shorten anyone’s lifespan
Error - Cookies Turned Off

i wonder why they insist on reporting known flu side effects as if they are unique to covid

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Error - Cookies Turned Off

i wonder why they insist on reporting known flu side effects as if they are unique to covid
I haven't read the report, but 60/78 of patients getting myocarditis is a lot. Rates of myocarditis in influenza are less than that, so it's a difference. It's also probably important to report onbon a lot of people think of these viruses as only respiratory viruses.

No one should be sensationalizing it, but keeping the public informed of complications, especially if they seem to be happening more than in comparable diseases, seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I haven't read the report, but 60/78 of patients getting myocarditis is a lot. Rates of myocarditis in influenza are less than that, so it's a difference. It's also probably important to report onbon a lot of people think of these viruses as only respiratory viruses.

No one should be sensationalizing it, but keeping the public informed of complications, especially if they seem to be happening more than in comparable diseases, seems reasonable to me.
i would support it too, if they didn't appear to me to be intentionally withholding context or burying the lede (one of the two studies referenced was actually from autopsies of people 78-89... not living asymptomatic people...)

like they could at least mention that this isn't a new thing, but they don't. same with the pneumonia complications. speculate its worse without the evidence being there yet if you truly must, but not one of these articles ever mentions that these things are known complications from all viruses, and presents it as a new frightening discovery rather than confirmation of what we should have expected on day 1 from a respiratory virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad