COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think friends of my parents who were in an assisted living facility in Squirrel Hill were among the dead...they were in their 90s and active participants in my parents’ film club...I feel horrible about it...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I haven't read the report, but 60/78 of patients getting myocarditis is a lot. Rates of myocarditis in influenza are less than that, so it's a difference. It's also probably important to report onbon a lot of people think of these viruses as only respiratory viruses.

No one should be sensationalizing it, but keeping the public informed of complications, especially if they seem to be happening more than in comparable diseases, seems reasonable to me.

I also think, given those numbers, that more extensive studies ASAP are an absolute must.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@NMK11 . . . Florida had a bit of a spike in ICU bed usage. Flexed bed total up to 5228 and available capacity now shows as 15.95% (in terms of pure numbers, it means another 350 beds in use in the last 24 hours):

Workbook: Public

A bit of a drop off in terms of the last few days, but still slightly better than when we first discussed it and I started telling you I'd watch it daily.

And, really, over the last 3 weeks, it's been pretty steady overall in spite of the new daily cases.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
i would also like to know how/if they were treated. should have a big impact on things. imo

For sure. I don't think those kinds of percentages will hold in something more comprehensive, but they're bad enough for me that you've got to do some big studies on the heart related impact of COVID-19. Too important not to do a deep study.

Reactions: The Old Master

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it's almost like "crushing coronavirus" isn't real and you just have to accept that cases will go up if you want to live any sort of normal life, until it reaches a certain level of spread and then it will recede and not come back in the same way? crazy. these tweets should just read "for months no one went outside, then against all odds, they went outside again, and the things associated with going outside happened, but we used to not care"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
it's almost like "crushing coronavirus" isn't real and you just have to accept that cases will go up if you want to live any sort of normal life, until it reaches a certain level of spread and then it will recede and not come back in the same way? crazy. these tweets should just read "for months no one went outside, then against all odds, they went outside again, and the things associated with going outside happened, but we used to not care"

Well, it's pretty clear the choice for anyone who hasn't been hit hard is between total shutdown or being smart and then trying to manage things such that hospitals don't get overwhelmed knowing your hit will come eventually, because yes it seems everyone is getting hit eventually (and the guys getting a 2nd wave aren't getting hit as bad the 2nd time, likely because the most vulnerable were attacked in the first wave).

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Well, it's pretty clear the choice for anyone who hasn't been hit hard is between total shutdown or being smart and then trying to manage things such that hospitals don't get overwhelmed knowing your hit will come eventually, because yes it seems everyone is getting hit eventually (and the guys getting a 2nd wave aren't getting hit as bad the 2nd time, likely because the most vulnerable were attacked in the first wave).

It's also becoming clear you can't hide forever from this virus and hope it just goes away with lengthy lockdowns.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
EeC62iIWoAc60Jw

in the US, people think 225x the amount of people have died of covid than actually have. 9%... that would be 30 million people. can you blame them with the constant fearmongering headlines?

Reactions: The Old Master

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
it’s called viral myocarditis. it is a common and temporary outcome of many viral infections and typically resolves in a few months. 60 of the 78 in the german study have viral myocarditis. heart inflammation and damage from viruses is not new no matter how the media wants to report it. it is unlikely to shorten anyone’s lifespan

k. so i learned something. the medical journal made it sound like they simply do not know if it's permanent or not, certainly they will follow up to find out.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
k. so i learned something. the medical journal made it sound like they simply do not know if it's permanent or not, certainly they will follow up to find out.
i mean. extrapolating from the other viruses that do the same thing? it's almost certainly not permanent in the overwhelming majority of cases

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
i mean. extrapolating from the other viruses that do the same thing? it's almost certainly not permanent in the overwhelming majority of cases
It's true that it usually isn't permanent, but I'd be careful saying it's unlikely to shorten anyone's lifespan. Myocarditis isn't crazy common, but dying from it isn't rare.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
HCQ back in the news today. Has anyone taken this? My pharmacy had 30 pill limit sign up a few months ago.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Zarley Zalapski died of viral myocarditis from the common cold.

It’s actually scary how often mundane things (colds, OTC meds) can trigger life-threatening ailments.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Zarley Zalapski died of viral myocarditis from the common cold.

It’s actually scary how often mundane things (colds, OTC meds) can trigger life-threatening ailments.
Oh shit. I didn’t even know he had passed. I always liked him when I was kid. I thought he had one of the cooler names in the league.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
It's also becoming clear you can't hide forever from this virus and hope it just goes away with lengthy lockdowns.

No No stay inside forever!

Everyone who gets this magical potion please come back on here in 6 months to a year and tell me about it if you would.

Thanks

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Simple common sense about this whole situation.
1. Healthy people have an absurdly low death rate, and an even low rate of showing symptoms. We should not be locking up healthy people. Herd immunity is a real thing.

2. Early research done from Italy's outbreak showed the virus spread fastest amongst households, not public spaces. Clusters of people who lived together. This information was ignored by our experts, because they essentially put all of us into households and prevented us from going outside. (speaking of cities in particular here)

3. The Diamond Princess cruise ship incident was the perfect case study to understand the threat of the virus. It was a confined, controlled space, where the virus was allowed to spread relatively unopposed - because the passengers didn't know. It occurred early enough for experts to analyze and then incorporate into our plan. Again, it showed the virus was not lethal to healthy people, and did not require such an extreme response. It was ignored.

4. The domino effect that started with the closure of schools, sports leagues, businesses, etc.. was by far - the dumbest response to a pandemic in human history. Especially for a virus such as this. I can only speculate that the motives were political, because even basic human common sense would dictate this response was ineffective and destructive in its own right. Why would you place purposeful economic destruction on top of a viral outbreak?

5. Ignoring Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc. Again, i don't get the desire to have people die needlessly. These drugs have a proven track record for being safe - 60 years of use. And they are CHEAP. They are all well documented to treat similar viruses as to COVID-19, by Dr. Faucci no less (even though he seems to forget this). When this disease is harming lower income communities - mostly because their hospitals are assigning them to ventilators (a death sentence), having a treatment that is cheap and easily acquired could have saved many many lives. Even if it is 1% effective, its still worth trying. Why the opposition and rampant censorship? Is it because the president tweeted about it? I don't know. But lots of people should have their medical degrees turned over once this situation is back under control. Disgusting.

But my biggest pet peeve of all - without a doubt - is reassigning infected patients back into their nursing homes. There is no reason for this to be done outside of malicious intent. The only population that we should have completely locked down is our nursing home patients. And yet these were the people we were housing next to the infected. What the heck? And for anyone who wants to claim this hasn't happened - i have personal experience in this area. A hospital dropped an infected patient off into a nursing home, and then didn't inform the nursing home that the patient was infected for several hours. It resulted in many of the nurses requiring testing. Thankfully none of them were positive. But a huge red flag.

Its no surprise to me that the United States has had a lot of cases and a lot of deaths. We have leadership which seemingly wants people to get sick and to die. Whether for profit, or for political gain. I don't know. But its all right there plain as day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad