COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Senior Hoffman, COVID (day-to-day)

I'm in quarantine for ... who knows how long. :) Means I won't make it back for my family's Christmas, which was going to be next week. :) Figuring 50/50 that I'm back before actual Christmas. :) Kind of resigned to the fact that I will likely be infected due to quarantining with Sr. Hoffman, and it's a question of whether I'm symptomatic or not after infection. :)

And I wouldn't have been down, except that one of the kids can only do Christmas next week ... which meant that I came down over the weekend instead of waiting another week ... which meant I was here when Senior fell on Sunday and then twice yesterday instead of him being alone like would have been the plan ... which meant that I was able to say yes, you are going to the hospital so we can see what the hell is going on ... which meant they did a COVID test based on other elderly people who'd come through with similar symptoms ... which uncovered the positive result.

:) GDI. Definitely not NDI (normal damn it).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I'm in quarantine for ... who knows how long. :) Means I won't make it back for my family's Christmas, which was going to be next week. :) Figuring 50/50 that I'm back before actual Christmas. :) Kind of resigned to the fact that I will likely be infected due to quarantining with Sr. Hoffman, and it's a question of whether I'm symptomatic or not after infection. :)

And I wouldn't have been down, except that one of the kids can only do Christmas next week ... which meant that I came down over the weekend instead of waiting another week ... which meant I was here when Senior fell on Sunday and then twice yesterday instead of him being alone like would have been the plan ... which meant that I was able to say yes, you are going to the hospital so we can see what the hell is going on ... which meant they did a COVID test based on other elderly people who'd come through with similar symptoms ... which uncovered the positive result.

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope for a speedy recovery. Stay safe, my friend.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

Sorry to hear, I hope for a speedy recovery. Stay safe

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Sorry you might miss X-mas, but its just one X-mas.

What kind of sympthoms you have with covid? Loss of smell and taste?

Think this positively you might not have to take vaccine. Remember to take antibody test!!

Hope fast recovery mate! :bb:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Good news.

If and when finnish league back. Every player, referee etc use these helmets/masks.

Players have agree to wear those to prevent spread.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Good news.

If and when finnish league back. Every player, referee etc use these helmets/masks.

Players have agree to wear those to prevent spread.

I'm with Ajax here... Those helmets won't do much, if anything, to control spread. The vents are right at the mouth - any time a player exhales any airborne droplets are not contained in any meaningful way at all... Unless players are skating wearing masks under these helmets, which I can't see happening.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Sorry you might miss X-mas, but its just one X-mas.

What kind of sympthoms you have with covid? Loss of smell and taste?

Think this positively you might not have to take vaccine. Remember to take antibody test!!

Hope fast recovery mate! :bb:
Let's be brutally honest here: I'm never dying. I'm never getting old. (Which, duh - if I'm living forever, that's kind of pointless if you're just going to get old.) If I'm never dying and never getting old, not catching COVID while staying in really close proximity to someone who tested positive should be a snap. But in the bizarre case where I do happen to get it, it'll be no big deal. It won't even be a cold. I'll be asymptomatic, no problems at all.

So, you're all not getting rid of me ... well, forever. :D

So far, I have no symptoms. I've gone through the whole zomg, I'm freaking hot - is that a fever? Is it Covid? Nah, the apartment is 72 f***ing degrees and the heat is on high and my chest feels a little tight - zomg, is that Covid? Nah, it's because I'm kind of hunched over the kitchen table trying to work and I can't go walk and stretch out because I can't leave him alone and omg, I'm f***ing sore - is that aches from Covid? Nah, it's being sore from sitting on an unpadded wooden chair and walking on a harder than concrete tile floor half the f***ing day and so on. Nothing that I can really say, "GDI - that's a f***ing symptom, I've really got it."

I figure absolute best case is I'm out 12/23. Most likely scenario is back after the 1st of the year, positive or not.

I got tested Friday morning. Results supposedly back in 48-72 hours. Will probably keep getting tested as long as I'm negative. Part of that is in case he recovers, at which point I can count days until I can leave quarantine. Part of that is in case I do test positive, in which case I need to start a different count before I'll risk going back around my family. Even with a positive, I'll probably get a 2nd to confirm but at least know when the likely first exposure was.

Love the optimism, Ranksu. Yes, I might not have to take the vaccine. Lots to navigate before I start thinking about that. First item is getting Senior through this without issues.

Reactions: Ranksu

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
hope “senior” gets well soon!
my dad is 75 and came through fine with just a little bit of fever and a slight cough, only problem is trying to get him to rest more as he is nonstop

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Nothing suggests credible and unbiased analysis like an article authored by Tyler Durden.
Yes, but if there is at least some truth for antivaxx in usa you guys can forget covid cases slow it down.

I know we cant talk about politics, but this has so much to do with left vs right. Shame how divide usa ppl are.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Europe's coronavirus crisis is resurging. For months, 3 Nordic nations kept it under control — without lockdowns - CNN

How to be the best (or how to be Finland)

Finland had Europe's lowest average of infections and deaths per capita in recent months, Johns Hopkins data shows. It managed to contain local outbreaks while sticking to some of the most relaxed restrictions on the continent. Internal movement was not restricted, those who needed to could attend school and workplaces in person, and mask-wearing was not mandatory.
"There is nothing magical about doing this — we just have a pragmatic approach," said Pekka Nuorti, an epidemiology professor at Tampere University who has worked for public health agencies for more than 25 years.
Cultural, political and geographic factors — such as low population density, less travel and high trust in government — were helpful, Nuorti said, but it was the work of the country's health agencies that made a difference.
During the summer, Finland built up "tried-and-true field epidemiology practices," Nuorti said: Testing, isolating, contact tracing, quarantining and preventing superspreading events on a local level.
The average daily testing volume nearly quadrupled from 2,900 samples in May to 11,300 in August, health ministry data shows. In late November, Finnish laboratories performed up to 23,000 tests a day, or 90% of the current capacity.

Finland used the summer to prepare for the new wave by responding with preventative measures instead of a lockdown, said Mika Salminen, director of health security at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare. Restricting international travel for most of the summer added to Finland's success in the fall, he said.
To help people isolate and stay home, the government provided economic support. Thousands of people who were exposed could quarantine because the government offered compensation for their lost income, Salminen said.
"It's not that we haven't had outbreaks," Nuorti said. Finland had local flare-ups and super spreader events, but local health authorities, coordinated by the central government, were able to contain them using real-time data, he said. But as case numbers rise, it becomes increasingly difficult to identify all transmission sources, Nuorti said.
If the situation deteriorates, Salminen said, a full lockdown has not been ruled out.

@EastonBlues22 this must be fake news too?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Are you somehow under the impression that I assume any link related to this issue is "fake news?"

The last article you posted wasn't news. It was (at best) a heavily biased half-assed opinion piece, posted under a pseudonym (with notoriously heavy anti-establishment connotations), on a non-medical, non-mainstream news website, and it was clearly intended to be manipulative, not informative.

It cites internal "surveys" and "informal discussions," providing no links or sourced quotes for any of them, and giving us exactly zero context for the numbers (How many people were questioned, and how many responded? What were they asked, and how?). For the hospital section, the only quote is from a ward clerk...hardly a medical professional, or even someone who can be trusted to speak from a position of authority on the matter.

Then it references the "staff" of some random nursing home in Maine, and the only quote they have immediately mentions that there has been no "official polling?" Janitors, secretaries, administrative personnel, and even food service people can also be considered staff at hospitals and nursing homes, just FYI. If you're employed by the place directly, you're staff.

Some EMTs in NY are "resistant to getting it," according to one guy, with no mention of how the numbers cited were gathered. What does that even mean, and why do we care? EMTs, for the record, require about 120-150 hours of training to get their certification, and they don't require a college degree. EMTs save lives, but they are not doctors, or scientists, or even for the most part vaccinators. They are not an authority on vaccine development, and any opinion they might have should hardly be considered a proxy for those with far more education and relevant work experience.

There is nothing in that motley collection of nonsense that indicates a significant chunk of health care professionals are "balking" at being vaccinated, as the title and "nobody wants to be a guinea pig" conclusion suggests, and as the author clearly wants you to believe. It's just a collection of cherry-picked anecdotes and pseudo-scientific "numbers," completely unverifiable and devoid of context of any sort, presented in a manner intended to push a crystal clear agenda.

That article wasn't news. It was garbage. Straight garbage. I gave it far more attention and time in this reply than it deserves.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Happy Holidays, Everyone!
Kerstkaart.jpg

Ja hyvää joulua ja hyvää uutta vuotta! Och Glad Jul!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
British strain r0 is higher 2. Doesnt look good and it has spread all over Europe already. Then there is south africa strain which is also better spreading vs 'normal' covid.

These kind of messages are going now to people of London. Doesnt look good. Hospitals are full.

image0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille