COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Since I can't control for the drivel in the brains of the worst bad faith operators in this community, and never could, here is an op-ed out just today that captures what I think of science and of society. Essentially I share the opinion of the recent president of the Society for Epidemiologic Research. Any doubts I may have had about future species survival have been erased by how we have collectively reacted to pandemic adversity.

Science is a social process, and we all live amid the social soup of personalities, parties and power. The political dysfunction that holds America hostage also holds science hostage. Dr. Virchow wrote that “mass disease means that society is out of joint.” Society’s being out of joint means that epidemiological research is out of joint, because it exists inside the same society. This is not a new problem, but the dominant “follow the science” mantra misses the fact that the same social pathology that exacerbates the pandemic also debilitates our scientific response to it.

To restore faith in science, there must be faith in social institutions more broadly, and this requires a political reckoning. Of course one can cite many specific challenges for scientists: The wheels are coming off the peer review system, university research is plagued by commercialization pressures, and so on. But all of these are the symptoms, not the underlying disease. The real problem is simply that sick societies have sick institutions. Science is not some cloistered preserve in the clouds, but is buried in the muck with everything else. This is why, just eight days after his investigation in Upper Silesia, Dr. Virchow went to the barricades in Berlin to fight for the revolution.​

We have an extraordinarily sick society. If it were just politics I would believe there is a political fix. It's beyond politics. It's human. I predict our deeply sick society will choose from among the sickest responses to the extraordinary existential species emergency that faces us.

My opinion so straightforward that it forces people to lie about it. That's what happened here.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dr. Fauci was finally asked why people with natural immunity should be required to get the covid vaccine given studies that show we have more protection.

His response: “I don’t have a really firm answer for you on that.”

we are living in bizaro world

Reactions: Punished ROR

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
It looks like I will be forced by mandate to get vaxxed. I caught COVID last year, so I have some immunity; however, that doesn't appear to matter to the powers that be. I have been waiting for other vaccine options to come to the market in 2022, but it looks like I will have no choice.

My primary employer is >100 people and I saw an announcement today that they are working on implementing Biden's order. I have a religious exemption for a second job that required getting vaxxed about 2 months ago. I'm now wondering if they will go back and terminate that exemption. The 2nd job is something I simply love doing and its not about the money. I can do without that one, although it will cause them great pain since nobody else can do what I do (at least not in the local area). The first job will be an issue, but I also have skills there that they can't easily replicate. I also have several dozen people working for me, so they will need to find someone to take over. It's just a business decision on their part. I view it the same way. You make your choices and move on. I'm always open to other opportunities, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to look for a small company of < 100 that still has respect for personal health choices.

At a bigger lever, it was clear to me last night that the President believes the unvaccinated are driving this pandemic now and are harming others. I'm still processing that logic: the unvaccinated are a threat to the vaccinated. Interesting. What does that then say about the vaccine? I'm basically public enemy #1 (along with millions of others) in this war against COVID....that was the tone struck last night. It's now personal.

One even bigger question I have is that I have daughters (under 18). Will they be forced to get vaxxed for their schools? We are told these vaccines are 100% safe both long and short term. Have they checked on the impact to reproductive systems? I might have to pull my girls out and do home-schooling.

All in all, it looks like many of us are becoming 2nd class citizens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Punished ROR

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Natural immunity

Fauci finally admits the obvious...that natural immunity is effective in fighting off Covid.
But, of course, that hardly matters to the tinpot authoritarians. They want to restrict my travel and my employment opportunities, regardless.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Fauci finally admits the obvious...that natural immunity is effective in fighting off Covid.
But, of course, that hardly matters to the tinpot authoritarians. They want to restrict my travel and my employment opportunities, regardless.

Just wait until you learn what they did with the smallpox vaccine.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
That’s what they want everybody to think. Lunacy at its finest.

I think their logic is that variants are coming from the unvaccinated. I've seen experts suggesting that vaccine pressure on a selected variant can lead to escaped mutants (i.e. a potential new variant). Survival of the fittest.

Regardless, unless they ban all unvaccinated from crossing our borders, restricting the unvaccinated domestically will not prevent new variants from coming from elsewhere in the world. And as Psaki said today, they will not force illegal aliens...AKA undocumented migrants...to be vaccinated as a condition of entry. So variants have a way in while unvaccinated Americans are relegated to 2nd class status. So maybe punishment is their real logic, not the science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad