COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Mainstream media.
Ah. Yup. It continues to get harder and harder to find unbiased (not to mention factually accurate) reporting, and I use that term loosely since the standards for "reporting" have generally plummeted since most news has migrated to online content.

I've really, really tired of the unnecessarily biased and inflammatory language (on both sides) that has crept into so much news outlet content, and every time I click on a click-baity title on a major news website, a piece of me dies inside.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Ah. Yup. It continues to get harder and harder to find unbiased (not to mention factually accurate) reporting, and I use that term loosely since the standards for "reporting" have generally plummeted since most news has migrated to online content.

I've really, really tired of the unnecessarily biased and inflammatory language (on both sides) that has crept into so much news outlet content, and every time I click on a click-baity title on a major news website, a piece of me dies inside.
Everything is an op-ed now. It’s insane. If I wanted opinion pieces, I could read a message board. Just because you can write doesn’t mean your opinion matters. It just means you can write.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I can’t really say that there are news reporters any more. There are just advocates with different agendas.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
30a.jpeg

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I want research and details, but I am weird like that.
My most read political commentary comes from two well-researched bloggers (former reporters who abandoned major outlets) whose political slant runs counter to my own in most issues. I find this to be very informative and helps to challenge my opinions. But it’s hard to find journalists who prioritize the integrity of their work over the other incentives they have before them (ad revenue, clicks, praise on social media, quickest scoop, etc).

Reactions: Celtic Note

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Is it true CNN has removed covid tracker in their tv news?
It reportedly doesn't run 24/7 but I don't watch CNN (or really any major news network on TV, because ... this requires me to have control of the remote, and even if I do I'm not watching network news channels in my spare time when there's other more enjoyable stuff I can watch). Apparently it is up from time-to-time.

No idea what it was before X date or any of that. Really don't care, either.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It’s actually all the more frustrating when it IS someone with a PhD spouting nonsense. It happens more often than it should.
There is no prerequisite to be almost fully functional in life, or even legally "sane", or having even an average IQ (which is more a measure of ability to perform on one test on a given day than a reliable measure of intelligence. the recipient only has to be well read and have some level of knowledge in his or her narrow field, and able to demonstrate that to some degree during the crucial assessment period, and have a reasonably decent relationship with some key faculty members). I'm sure there are many thousands of PHD holders who act stupidly in many areas of their lives, or are legally insane, are extremely biased, anti-social, and have dangerous axes to grind, and so, do excellent jobs of spouting nonsense. But what does it matter if more than half the people trying to spread information on mass media are lying, and half the population, or more, believe only what they want to hear, anyway? It's a World gone mad, and getting worse every day. It must be this planet's way of dealing with being overpopulated by The Human species, whose intrinsic instincts for self-preservation during crisis times leads to a level of greed and desire for "a life of ease" that this planet can't sustain.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
My mother-in-law’s brother lives in Wuhan. She talked to him yesterday for the first time in months - he had no idea that there are vaccines for Covid-19, as he said that China blocks all foreign news stories about the virus and its own media doesn’t discuss it. Thought that was interesting.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
My mother-in-law’s brother lives in Wuhan. She talked to him yesterday for the first time in months - he had no idea that there are vaccines for Covid-19, as he said that China blocks all foreign news stories about the virus and its own media doesn’t discuss it. Thought that was interesting.
It's crazy how well China handled their epidemic. Ofc there is holes about reality, but nothing to compare USA how badly they handle situation.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Seems like it's only a matter of time before an NHL team triggers the COVID alert.

Question: Is it better for a team to deal with COVID now (cancelled games, etc) than wait until later?

I would think it would be really bad to deal with a COVID outbreak when playoffs start.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
After watching corona-nonsense for so long, I can't believe I'm posting in this thread, but here I am. I guess it helps to vent some times.

I did post a few times in older threads to share my perspective, because I was seeing a lot of nonsense policies enacted in my state that were really hurting people right in the livelihood, especially by means of employment.
The problem seems to become compounded when people react by talking over you instead of considering what you have to say. That has developed to be a pet peeve of mine - watching people spout their perspective without taking any time to consider a well thought out rebuttal (or a sincerely emotional appeal).

I knew it the same situation would catch up to me eventually - and it did.
Fortunately I was able to build up quite a bit of savings to keep afloat, but it can only last so long. I do not understand why rent needs to be so high...
It's kind of a scary, unsettling feeling just watching the savings just ebb away... like financial suffocation instead of just a quick death.
My only means of income has been selling off personal possessions.

It does make me even more grateful to be able to say I saw Blues win the cup!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am convinced that if we did periodic hard shutdowns, a hard closing of borders, mandatory quarantines and better contract tracing that our economic reduction would have been less severe, while also saving more lives. We were too loose with the strategy and it caused things to get worse instead of better. It also didn’t help that the buy in was not up to the level it needed to be to be successful. The selfish and foolish nature of too many citizens cost lives, jobs and mental health.

The evidence bears out when you look at the countries that successfully did the thing I mentioned versus those countries that did not, those engaging those activities faired better.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
After watching corona-nonsense for so long, I can't believe I'm posting in this thread, but here I am. I guess it helps to vent some times.

I did post a few times in older threads to share my perspective, because I was seeing a lot of nonsense policies enacted in my state that were really hurting people right in the livelihood, especially by means of employment.
The problem seems to become compounded when people react by talking over you instead of considering what you have to say. That has developed to be a pet peeve of mine - watching people spout their perspective without taking any time to consider a well thought out rebuttal (or a sincerely emotional appeal).

I knew it the same situation would catch up to me eventually - and it did.
Fortunately I was able to build up quite a bit of savings to keep afloat, but it can only last so long. I do not understand why rent needs to be so high...
It's kind of a scary, unsettling feeling just watching the savings just ebb away... like financial suffocation instead of just a quick death.
My only means of income has been selling off personal possessions.

It does make me even more grateful to be able to say I saw Blues win the cup!
It sucks to be unemployed. Sorry you are going through that. Best of luck finding something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad