OT: COVID 19 - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm confused as to what this means?

And for the tracing, it can help on the individual level. But yeah, it won't really help on any sort of a population level unless people are more forthcoming (of which I'm doubtful) or it's made more involuntary (of which I'm even more doubtful).

If you follow the fitness world, you will see constant references to studies that show such net positives in lifts or specific diets (shit like this). And it's well known if it is self-reported, it's probably not accurate.

For example I will share what a friend told me. She is a gym-goer. It's a religion to her. She loves the gym. She said if she got covid and they asked her, she would be so afraid of them shutting gyms down, she wouldn't mention a gym.

So if it's self-reported.. expect that.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
If you follow the fitness world, you will see constant references to studies that show such net positives in lifts or specific diets (shit like this). And it's well known if it is self-reported, it's probably not accurate.

For example I will share what a friend told me. She is a gym-goer. It's a religion to her. She loves the gym. She said if she got covid and they asked her, she would be so afraid of them shutting gyms down, she wouldn't mention a gym.

OK, it was the "individual report" that I didn't understand. To clarify you're using that term the same was as self-reporting? In which case, yeah, totally agree.

Like I said in the second half of my post, I think it can help on an individual level. If somewhere, say a restaurant, reports an employee with COVID, then people who did self-report that they went there might get a heads up, get tested sooner, and be prepared to present to medical care or self-quarantine sooner. But that's all dependent on everyone being honest and open. It'll work for some people, but for it to work on the population-level people would have to be forced into reporting. Which is honestly a little too far even for me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
OK, it was the "individual report" that I didn't understand. To clarify you're using that term the same was as self-reporting? In which case, yeah, totally agree.

Like I said in the second half of my post, I think it can help on an individual level. If somewhere, say a restaurant, reports an employee with COVID, then people who did self-report that they went there might get a heads up, get tested sooner, and be prepared to present to medical care or self-quarantine sooner. But that's all dependent on everyone being honest and open. It'll work for some people, but for it to work on the population-level people would have to be forced into reporting. Which is honestly a little too far even for me.

Yep yep. We are in the same boat here. I am just telling you it's not being reported that way from so many examples I see.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
A local group suggested going red (the strictest phase) while allowing people to buy their groceries once a month (reducing crowds). I would be apprehensive about that.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A local group suggested going red (the strictest phase) while allowing people to buy their groceries once a month (reducing crowds). I would be apprehensive about that.

You gotta keep grocery stores open. You can limit it to one person per house to do the shopping and how many total in the store. You could add that you need to shop at the closest store (like 5-10k distance) so hot spots don’t spread to other areas.

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
my 82 year old mother tested positive for Covid in Pittsburgh and she lives with my 88 year old dad with numerous health problems...both have had cancer...very concerned

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Too bad we can’t have like the national guard do grocery delivery and other essentials for the at-risk groups.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It doesn’t make sense for a bunch of reasons...

- Nuclear families will be forced to overfill their carts, knowing they have a bunch of mouthes to feed for the next month. Same goes for single parents. Grocery stores couldn’t handle the demand.

- Single people, who may be living pay cheque to pay cheque, couldn’t do it.

- Then you have other groups (e.g., seniors).

- Plus, does anyone have enough storage for a months worth of food?

Yes, it would reduce crowds. However, people would be savages when they did go out.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Scientific studies use much more rigorous methods than people self-reporting if they tested positive.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
my 82 year old mother tested positive for Covid in Pittsburgh and she lives with my 88 year old dad with numerous health problems...both have had cancer...very concerned

Let us know how it goes Andy.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad