Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last few posts:

I just am happy to see that there is strong follow through on the distribution plans.

Honestly, my fear was that it would fall way short of this. Given the unique challenges of having to store this vaccine at 90 below zero freezers.

They seem to be very on the ball to successfully pull thus off. And deserve enormous credit. Everyone does. They are performing something that is a miracle, a series of miracles really. And I for one am in awe of all of them.

Continue ;)

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Reminder of some ground rules:

- ZERO tolerance for political sides talk. I do not care who is right or left. It does not matter. It is not for this thread or this website. You will be removed.

- RESPECT one another. It's a simple concept. This is a tough time. Just respect one another.

- ZERO tolerance for any mindset that someone dying is okay. That's not going to happen here. You will be removed.

Seriously... just be nice to one another. It's simple.

This is not a debate thread. For example - if you go into a Bryan Rust Appreciation thread and say Rust sucks, you will be removed. The sole purpose of this thread is to keep us up to date with what is going on (without bias) and to stay positive for one another. This is not a debate thread. This is not a political thread. This is not a discussion of everything else in the world thread (race problems, guns, etc). This is a thread to keep us together during this amazingly tough time.

Over 100 warnings from March to today. We can't sit here and moderate this like a chat room. We need to respect the rules and unfortunately the very strict guidelines of discussion.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Manitoba’s slogan is “Friendly Manitoba”. A little too friendly guys. Their Premier has ordered a lockdown starting tomorrow. All non essential retail businesses closed to public but will allow curb side pick ups. No visitors at home. Strangely schools are open fully? That’s weird to go into such strict restrictions but leave schools open

EmisMcSWMAQByoJ

EmisNmyXEAUtREQ

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Record number of people hospitalized with coronavirus as every state sees case surge

The U.S. reported 136,000 new cases of COVID-19 Tuesday, the largest single-day increase on record, according to a tracker by Johns Hopkins University.

Nearly 62,000 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 nationwide as of Tuesday, according to the COVID Tracking Project, a record-high number and a sobering indicator that increases in deaths are soon to come.

“Today we set new record highs for COVID19 cases and hospitalizations. On the same day. Also had the highest death toll in months,” tweeted Craig Spencer, the director of Global Health in Emergency Medicine at Columbia.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to be very clear for anyone questioning moving forward. If you get a thread ban from the COVID thread, you are removed from all threads. This was mentioned a billion times early on when the bickering was live. To this date we only have 2 individuals banned from all covid threads. This is not to single any individuals out. This is to explain the process that we've had from day 1. This was a sensitive thread during an election year. If you want to say bias, it is quite funny because 1 from "each side" equal the two. And since then, we've had some great conversations without stepping over that line.

This was non-negotiable from the beginning. We threw more warnings to the vets than I can even count. And the warning at the top of the screen is not my warning about political talk. That is an admin warning.

If you need to discuss this - please PM me. I will gladly discuss any questions you may have.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Not so much for us but for poorer countries. The systems are in place but they are expensive. On the other hand other vaccines are on the way that are more traditional.

“It does have cold-chain challenges as it were. In a country like the UK and the United States we can address them and it still would be challenging. But, probably much more challenging in countries in the developing world,” Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said during a Financial Times’ global pharmaceutical and biotechnology conference, according to Reuters.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Not so much for us but for poorer countries. The systems are in place but they are expensive. On the other hand other vaccines are on the way that are more traditional.

There was a company I saw on a Shark Tank type show (think it was Dragons Den in Canada). They turned shipping containers into little farming containers for the northern areas of Canada so people could grow food all year round. One because it’s fresh an 2 because it’s expensive to get anything delivered up there.

Surely there could be some innovative done to make cold storage for vaccines in shipping containers. Get a Tesla battery or have solar panels to power it?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Sideline

May 23, 2004
There was a company I saw on a Shark Tank type show (think it was Dragons Den in Canada). They turned shipping containers into little farming containers for the northern areas of Canada so people could grow food all year round. One because it’s fresh an 2 because it’s expensive to get anything delivered up there.

Surely there could be some innovative done to make cold storage for vaccines in shipping containers. Get a Tesla battery or have solar panels to power it?

The logistics is more of a last mile problem. Moving the product from a production facility to a shipping hub anywhere on Earth is an already solved problem. You might have to spend a lot of money to scale up the infrastructure, but it's not anything that we don't know how to do.

The problem is the receiving location at your local doctor's office or pharmacy isn't likely to have the right equipment for long term storage. Your local pharmacy might only be able to keep inventory from expiration for 3 or 4 days after delivery.

We in the developed world can get around that with just-in-time deliveries that minimize the amount or inventory that is at risk of waste. Imagine trying to coordinate deliveries in parts of the world with unreliable electricity or roads that are not always passable.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like this plea by small businesses, that are hoping there's no shutdown because their business won't survive.

I don't give a f*** if their business won't survive, people might not survive if they don't do a shutdown.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I like this plea by small businesses, that are hoping there's no shutdown because their business won't survive.

I don't give a f*** if their business won't survive, people might not survive if they don't do a shutdown.
For a lot of small business people their business dying represents their life's work and any hope of leaving behind something for their families dying too.

It sounds callous to prioritize them, but my father is terminally ill and I know he would rather pass on today than leave nothing behind. He's stashed away a healthy, but not extravagant savings to provide for my mom when he's gone and leave enough left to help my brother and I if we ever got in trouble. He's obsessed with that nest egg. All the years he worked a job that he hated was to know his family would be taken care off.

There are things worse than death and things worth more than living an extra year or two.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel the way you do, but it's not unreasonable to disagree.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I understand that mindset, but i disagree with it. And i think both mindsets are fair to have.

The only way I think lockdown should happen is if we are overwhelming hospitals. Then flattening a curve makes sense. It always did. But it has to be for that reason.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I have posted before.

Unemployment kills as many if not more as the pandemic. 47,000 people every 1 percent of unemployment.

It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's news. Just reminding everyone about the politics talk ban. I debated posting it because of that. But because of who is saying it, and the strong possibility of it occurring, decided to post.

My opinion is with a vaccine soon that should cut 80 to 90 percent of the deaths it is going way too far.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

On the flip side will they survive with half hearted solutions to COVID. I feel like it’s more a slow death to the economy. A month or two of strong restrictions then ease out of them and you could see the economy pick right back up (it’s happened in some parts of the world).

I’m seeing reports around the world of hospitals on the brink and COVID getting out of control. While not enough is being done to slow this. You can’t just live with COVID. Vaccines great and all but still long enough away in terms of how COVID spreads. So many people are dying everyday and some it was preventable.

My Mum had COVID and I was scared shitless about her health because of her age. There were long time journalists writing stories complaining about restrictions to save people who’d die in a few months anyway. You can say that about palliative patients but many of these people probably would have lived 5, 10, 15 or even more.

What’s an extra 5, 10, 15+ years worth to you? Never mind the early studies on the long term effects for those that have recovered.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I have posted before.

Unemployment kills as many if not more as the pandemic. 47,000 people every 1 percent of unemployment.

It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice.
I appreciated you posting it before, it was an interesting read. And while there's lots of research out there showing increased mortality with unemployment, the number and rate isn't an exact science. These studies were also all done under very different circumstances. So while we can definitely say that more unemployment = more people dying, saying it's killing as many or more than the virus is opinion, not fact. It also seems a little disingenuous to me to compare unemployment mortality to current covid deaths. If you're going to say it will kill more than the virus, you should compare it to projections of mortality had there been no shutdown.

The perfect spot is some minimum curve on a graph, but we'll never really know where that is.

It's news. Just reminding everyone about the politics talk ban. I debated posting it because of that. But because of who is saying it, and the strong possibility of it occurring, decided to post.

My opinion is with a vaccine soon that should cut 80 to 90 percent of the deaths it is going way too far.

While I personally have no issue this post per se, if it's left up I'm going to be sort of frustrated that other posts have been removed and other people warned about politics. This is a political figure and you're giving your political take on it by saying it goes too far. I just ask for some consistency here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I appreciated you posting it before, it was an interesting read. And while there's lots of research out there showing increased mortality with unemployment, the number and rate isn't an exact science. These studies were also all done under very different circumstances. So while we can definitely say that more unemployment = more people dying, saying it's killing as many or more than the virus is opinion, not fact. It also seems a little disingenuous to me to compare unemployment mortality to current covid deaths. If you're going to say it will kill more than the virus, you should compare it to projections of mortality had there been no shutdown.

The perfect spot is some minimum curve on a graph, but we'll never really know where that is.

While I personally have no issue this post per se, if it's left up I'm going to be sort of frustrated that other posts have been removed and other people warned about politics. This is a political figure and you're giving your political take on it by saying it goes too far. I just ask for some consistency here.

I debated posting it for that reason. The idea of closing down the entire country for six weeks is the debate. Not who said it. Other than the likelihood of it happening because of who.

I get that it is difficult to divide out our knee jerk reactions to the who that is saying things in this day and age.

That said, that a national shutdown for a month and a half is being debated is worth sharing.

I don't think that my saying that the idea goes too far given a vaccine already likely deeply into distribution in January is political though. Simply debating the actual idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad