OT: COVID 19 - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's just not hard to figure out. Handle what you need to handle. Flatten curves when needed. But some of you, and even some of you have admitted it, let this completely control your life, anxiety, and well being. That's not healthy.

You can only control what you control. Do what you feel is right. Do what you feel is needed. Protect those you love.

My brother and his family have barely left their house for over a year.

I am not there.

However I am a huge believer in choosing your battles and weighing risk. A turkey dinner shoulder to shoulder with ten to twenty or more unmasked people this close to a vaccine is a stupid risk to me.

Going to a grocery store masked and keeping far away from anyone else is an acceptable risk. To me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My brother and his family have barely left their house for over a year.

I am not there.

However I am a huge believer in choosing your battles and weighing risk. A turkey dinner shoulder to shoulder with ten to twenty or more unmasked people this close to a vaccine is a stupid risk to me.

That's not how every thanksgiving dinner is. And you aren't the one to choose what they feel is a risk worth taking or not. You don't know their reasoning. You don't know their status.

And listen man.. you know my choice. I'm not sitting here going to parties. I do less than probably all of you combined. Combined. I haven't been to a grocery store since March. I haven't been to a STORE since March. I get takeout from a place that drops it off in my trunk outside and i close it non-contact while wearing a mask.

It's their choice. Lay the facts out and at the end of the day.. it's their choice. It's their family. Some people have lost loved ones while staying away and may have regretted that for life. Some have done the opposite. You make the choice for you. That's what you control. And some of you are letting this get so deep into your life it's clearly wrecking your mental state.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's not how every thanksgiving dinner is. And you aren't the one to choose what they feel is a risk worth taking or not. You don't know their reasoning. You don't know their status.

And listen man.. you know my choice. I'm not sitting here going to parties. I do less than probably all of you combined. Combined. I haven't been to a grocery store since March. I haven't been to a STORE since March. I get takeout from a place that drops it off in my trunk outside and i close it non-contact while wearing a mask.

It's their choice. Lay the facts out and at the end of the day.. it's their choice. It's their family. Some people have lost loved ones while staying away and may have regretted that for life. Some have done the opposite. You make the choice for you. That's what you control. And some of you are letting this get so deep into your life it's clearly wrecking your mental state.

Of course it is everyone's choice. As I said my brother is way more restrictive than I am.

Just know that these choices kill others, if not yourself. So I can judge. As I can be judged, and am by people like my brother.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Something I surprisingly don't recall seeing articles about during the pandemic is COIVD healthcare bills/insurance issues in the US.

So question for the Americans here, because I legit don't know. Is COVID treatment completely covered by the government or mandated to be covered by insurances companies?

With a raging pandemic and the loss of many jobs I'd expect to have heard a lot about medical debt, people fighting with their insurance companies over it, etc. So I'm just wondering what the government response was that's kept that from being a huge issue. Or am I just not seeing the right articles?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Something I surprisingly don't recall seeing articles about during the pandemic is COIVD healthcare bills/insurance issues in the US.

So question for the Americans here, because I legit don't know. Is COVID treatment completely covered by the government or mandated to be covered by insurances companies?

With a raging pandemic and the loss of many jobs I'd expect to have heard a lot about medical debt, people fighting with their insurance companies over it, etc. So I'm just wondering what the government response was that's kept that from being a huge issue. Or am I just not seeing the right articles?

Nope. Testing is covered until Dec with Biden likely changing things up.

The government’s response was basically we will get a cure and here’s 1200 - 1500 bucks.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

There is no waiver of insurance for Covid. The vaccine will be free though.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Nope. Testing is covered until Dec with Biden likely changing things up.

The government’s response was basically we will get a cure and here’s 1200 - 1500 bucks.

There is no waiver of insurance for Covid. The vaccine will be free though.

Okay, yeah I did see testing and vaccination were free, which is huge obviously.

I'm surprised I haven't heard too many horror stories related to COVID healthcare costs. I guess my US COVID news feed has been dominated by case numbers, stimulus talk, the border (since I'm Canadian), unemployment numbers and vaccines. Somehow I haven't come across a lot of info on that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Okay, yeah I did see testing and vaccination were free, which is huge obviously.

I'm surprised I haven't heard too many horror stories related to COVID healthcare costs. I guess my US COVID news feed has been dominated by case numbers, stimulus talk, the border (since I'm Canadian), unemployment numbers and vaccines. Somehow I haven't come across a lot of info on that.

I mean, people going bankrupt from healthcare isn't new to the pandemic.

But at least we have "the best healthcare in the world".

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here is our situation.

My son was exposed to a kid at school whom tested positive, but the school didn't tell us about it until a week later. So my son has to isolate for 14 days. He has no symptoms, and hasn't going all the way back to the time he was exposed.

We were told we didn't all have to isolate unless he showed signs of symptoms.

So my oldest and myself will go to my sisters while my wife stays home with him. Then, my oldest and me will come back home so My wife and oldest can go to her brothers.

I'm okay with this because the Steeler game isn't going to be on because, I wanted to go watch the game at (her sister's husband) my other brother in laws house after eating at her brothers place. I didn't want to go to her brothers in the first place. Small one bedroom apartment me and my wife's sister's husband were trying to move the gathering to a bigger place (his or ours), but no... It has to be at their place.... Where were we all to sit?

Stupid people...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Going to follow up what @ColePens said... It might be in some people's best interest to step away from the discussion. Infractions still apply in this thread, and we won't hesitate to administer them if the tone doesn't change. We're all sick and tired of this, but we still have to respect each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@Tom Hanks Yeah, and the reaction from Jennifer Russell. :laugh: That was the most animated she's been through all of the briefings.

My son was exposed to a kid at school whom tested positive, but the school didn't tell us about it until a week later...

Wait... what? I'm not a parent, so I'm not familiar with how schools are handling the situation. That, though, would bother me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, people going bankrupt from healthcare isn't new to the pandemic.

But at least we have "the best healthcare in the world".

2021 massive positive changes are starting which is price transparency and more competitive costs. Hell... price transparency is just another massive huge plus.

You know what bugs me the most is how many people refuse to just simply try some sort of fitness. Yoga, swimming, walking.. anything. And it fits into a covid thread because oh look at that... who is more at risk?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wait... what? I'm not a parent, so I'm not familiar with how schools are handling the situation. That, though, would bother me.

Oh, we are not happy about it at all. They had a huge break in the chain.

Basically, this kid got tested on Monday the 16th. The school was out that day he got tested. So my son was exposed back to the 12th/13th and we were not told until this past Monday 22nd. He was supposedly only around him for like 15 minutes. Like that means anything. My son went to school rest of all last week plus this past Monday.

Reactions: BHD

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
People die all the time from choices! Every damn day, many times, made by horrible choices.

Nobody is saying the damn virus doesn't exist or it was some lab created bio weapon. Leave that for the shock jocks like Alex Jones. They're shady used car salesmen. No different than a mega church televangelist.

It's just now the overwhelming majority of people on this forum and earth for that matter, literally parrot mass media talking points, which are nothing more than mouthpieces for...government. No critical thinking. Just instant obedience, regardless of the issue. Truly, there are people on this forum, viewing this exact post who have no problem with riots happening the entire year, during the same f***ing pandemic you are all screaming about? Sates and cities doing absolutely nothing. Allowing it to happen for months on end. The very cities where the hardest restrictions have been placed? Does nobody critically think anymore?

But all of a sudden, in 2020, we're supposed to be driven into mass hysteria and fear because there is a virus that is going to infect roughly 2% of the world's population and kill a fraction of a single percent. I can't imagine how people survived the Spanish flu which literally infected 1/3 of the world's population and killed as many as 60 million, but now I have to listen to drivel about Covid being more deadly even though the numbers don't add up, and there was no mass international air travel in 1918.

Do people realize there are a million plus Muslims in the western reaches of China being genocided through forced sterilizations, and outright murder? I mean, who gives a shit about them right? It's on the other side of the globe. Muslims are smelly terrorists right?

How about the entire continent of Africa, a continent I've set foot on btw. I've seen the horrors a fraction of those people endure. There are homeless in the United States who would be considered wealthy in the worst parts of Africa. Speaking homeless, who's weeping? How many homeless do you pass by in the big city and don't even acknowledge their existence. Go watch Invisible People on Youtube. You think humanity and "society" is some grand achievement? Those videos beg the differ.

Most people are being driven by fear of death/unknown. And furthermore, this is just as important, only because it is impacting them directly rather than some distant land or people, which ironically is incredibly selfish. The outrage now, while many other humanitarian crisis have gone on largely unnoticed, infuriates me. The hypocrisy of the elected officials who are telling us where we can and can't go and what we must wear, arbitrarily btw, while many of those same officials skirt or outright ignore the very "orders" they hand down on a near daily basis, like some f***ing monarch, infuriates me.

I echo what @ColePens said earlier. I myself don't go out much but when I do, mask up most times and always social distance. I'm not some asshole who's trying to scream about a retail store being closed. If you need to buy something, chances are you can do it online now. But I'm not a rube either and 2020 has outed a very large number of them.

Reactions: 2wayPlay and Borgir

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
2021 massive positive changes are starting which is price transparency and more competitive costs. Hell... price transparency is just another massive huge plus.

You know what bugs me the most is how many people refuse to just simply try some sort of fitness. Yoga, swimming, walking.. anything. And it fits into a covid thread because oh look at that... who is more at risk?

Monetizing healthcare is a bad idea. We are seeing the repercussions of that first hand.

I call people every day that are getting COVID at the job I do HR for. It is terrible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
People die all the time from choices! Every damn day, many times, made by horrible choices.

Nobody is saying the damn virus doesn't exist or it was some lab created bio weapon. Leave that for the shock jocks like Alex Jones. They're shady used car salesmen. No different than a mega church televangelist.

It's just now the overwhelming majority of people on this forum and earth for that matter, literally parrot mass media talking points, which are nothing more than mouthpieces for...government. No critical thinking. Just instant obedience, regardless of the issue. Truly, there are people on this forum, viewing this exact post who have no problem with riots happening the entire year, during the same f***ing pandemic you are all screaming about? Sates and cities doing absolutely nothing. Allowing it to happen for months on end. The very cities where the hardest restrictions have been placed? Does nobody critically think anymore?

But all of a sudden, in 2020, we're supposed to be driven into mass hysteria and fear because there is a virus that is going to infect roughly 2% of the world's population and kill a fraction of a single percent. I can't imagine how people survived the Spanish flu which literally infected 1/3 of the world's population and killed as many as 60 million, but now I have to listen to drivel about Covid being more deadly even though the numbers don't add up, and there was no mass international air travel in 1918.

Do people realize there are a million plus Muslims in the western reaches of China being genocided through forced sterilizations, and outright murder? I mean, who gives a shit about them right? It's on the other side of the globe. Muslims are smelly terrorists right?

How about the entire continent of Africa, a continent I've set foot on btw. I've seen the horrors a fraction of those people endure. There are homeless in the United States who would be considered wealthy in the worst parts of Africa. Speaking homeless, who's weeping? How many homeless do you pass by in the big city and don't even acknowledge their existence. Go watch Invisible People on Youtube. You think humanity and "society" is some grand achievement? Those videos beg the differ.

Most people are being driven by fear of death/unknown. And furthermore, this is just as important, only because it is impacting them directly rather than some distant land or people, which ironically is incredibly selfish. The outrage now, while many other humanitarian crisis have gone on largely unnoticed, infuriates me. The hypocrisy of the elected officials who are telling us where we can and can't go and what we must wear, arbitrarily btw, while many of those same officials skirt or outright ignore the very "orders" they hand down on a near daily basis, like some f***ing monarch, infuriates me.

I echo what @ColePens said earlier. I myself don't go out much but when I do, mask up most times and always social distance. I'm not some asshole who's trying to scream about a retail store being closed. If you need to buy something, chances are you can do it online now. But I'm not a rube either and 2020 has outed a very large number of them.

Keep shouting at a wall. Nobody in here feels this way and you have this same opinion with people when they try to talk hockey.

You strike me as someone that has gone through the 12 steps and thinks they are better than people because of it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Keep shouting at a wall. Nobody in here feels this way and you have this same opinion with people when they try to talk hockey.

You strike me as someone that has gone through the 12 steps and thinks they are better than people because of it.

Oh this mindset is not cool. A lot of people do agree and they are so scared to say it because this is the reaction. Please... I urge and beg you not to do this. This is the painful world of the internet that causes such a divide. Differing opinion doesn't have to result in this.

Please have respect for one another. I need this example to be here to make a point. We need to treat one another with respect.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Oh, we are not happy about it at all. They had a huge break in the chain.

Basically, this kid got tested on Monday the 16th. The school was out that day he got tested. So my son was exposed back to the 12th/13th and we were not told until this past Monday 22nd. He was supposedly only around him for like 15 minutes. Like that means anything. My son went to school rest of all last week plus this past Monday.

And they notify you almost a week later... How about an email regarding potential exposure, like, the day following the test (the 17th?). Again, I'm not well versed on how schools handle communication between the labs and the families.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oh this mindset is not cool. A lot of people do agree and they are so scared to say it because this is the reaction. Please... I urge and beg you not to do this. This is the painful world of the internet that causes such a divide. Differing opinion doesn't have to result in this.

Please have respect for one another. I need this example to be here to make a point. We need to treat one another with respect.

I think 95% of us who agreed with the substance of the rioting this year all were in this thread saying this is a terrible idea given the pandemic that is going on. I'm not painting anything as black and white in this thread, but dude comes in every couple weeks post a couple walls of paragraphs bemoaning us then disappears. Does the same shit with the Pens. It's tiresome.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Monetizing healthcare is a bad idea. We are seeing the repercussions of that first hand.

I call people every day that are getting COVID at the job I do HR for. It is terrible.

We clearly disagree and I respect your opinion. I do not, in any way, want to depend on the government for schooling, health care, etc. Do I think healthcare can be much better? Absolutely. I work in health care. :laugh: You work in HR. You know it. But we are on opposite ends on what we believe the role of government should be. AND THAT IS OKAY. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong. That's not how it works. We have examples of things that work in different nations. We have things that don't work in different nations. It's tough.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@Tom Hanks Yeah, and the reaction from Jennifer Russell. :laugh: That was the most animated she's been through all of the briefings.

Lol

Being notified late is common in BC. A letter goes out to all parents but no specifics just dates. Sometimes letters are over a week later. Contact tracers call the “close contacts” but they are so lax on that. Basically just the person they sit next to in class.

One teacher had a student off school because of Covid and she had no idea. Wasnt notified at all.

Another teacher called the Covid number. She asked if she should get tested because she had a Covid symptom (she had others but they said they don’t count). When she mentioned she was a teacher they told her to keep going to work. If she try’s to get tested and tells the testing receptionist that she only has one symptom and they know your a teacher or student you will be turned away. They won’t test unless it’s multiple symptoms if you are involved in a school.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We clearly disagree and I respect your opinion. I do not, in any way, want to depend on the government for schooling, health care, etc. Do I think healthcare can be much better? Absolutely. I work in health care. :laugh: You work in HR. You know it. But we are on opposite ends on what we believe the role of government should be. AND THAT IS OKAY. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong. That's not how it works. We have examples of things that work in different nations. We have things that don't work in different nations. It's tough.

Very true. The population of workers I deal with are the ones who can decide whether they can fork over money for a test or food for dinner.

People say "testing is free". True, it is. A lot of times though you have to cover the costs prior to getting reimbursed. Also, you're out of work for the time you have to quarantine and that is causing tons of issues too. I can't imagine what it must be like being a nurse, because calling employees and listening to them struggle through talking to me is enough to never want to deal with HR again,

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Very true. The population of workers I deal with are the ones who can decide whether they can fork over money for a test or food for dinner.

People say "testing is free". True, it is. A lot of times though you have to cover the costs prior to getting reimbursed.

One of the main reasons I want schools open is for child hunger. I know WHO has a laughable flip flop of ideas but I was in total agreement on their stance for lockdowns. Under no circumstance should we lockdown. We can flatten curves, but lockdowns cause some serious issues.

And if anyone disagrees I just agree to disagree respectfully. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. It's just my opinion. Every nation, city, town, neighborhood, country, continent, etc is different.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think 95% of us who agreed with the substance of the rioting this year all were in this thread saying this is a terrible idea given the pandemic that is going on. I'm not painting anything as black and white in this thread, but dude comes in every couple weeks post a couple walls of paragraphs bemoaning us then disappears. Does the same shit with the Pens. It's tiresome.

I’ll repeat it, and it’s not a request. Stop flaming other posters. This is not optional.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's also remember, folks, as times get stressful and times of anxiety hit - let's step back and remember we are all Pens fans in here venting at times. Let's stay respectful to one another.

It's American Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm massively grateful this site has given me an insane amount of years discussing the game I love with people who love it as much as I do. We can take that into this thread with a bit of compassion for one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad