COVID-19 and impact on entertainment industry

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am willing to bet that movies like Black Widow, Mulan, Tenet and others will eventually be made available digitally. If not, then they will just keep on losing money from these movies just pretty much collecting dust. Not many people are going to want to go to the movie theater. Especially in the US where cases are soaring and we haven't even hit the 2nd wave yet. I honestly don't see much changing next summer.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks like plan on Tenet is just a shorter term delay.

Most notably is indicating that it will release internationally first, which suggests to me that they may still go forward even if cases are bad in the US.

Even in places where cases are under control, I don't think there's a lot of money to be made by any film right now. China just reopened theatres to Hollywood releases this weekend,to very lackluster results.

I think the plan is just to get a big movie in theatres to restart the industry, but, I can't see this working.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Disney had an earnings call today and released some details on their ipco schedule.

Big item is plans for Mulan. It will premiere September 4th on Disney+ on a premium release, meaning you have to pay$30 on top of your subscription. They'll also be releasing in theatres in markets without Disney+. Unsure if they'll release in Disney+ markets as well.

Deadline: ‘Mulan’ Going On Disney+ & Theaters In September.
‘Mulan’ Going On Disney+ & Certain Foreign Theaters In September – Deadline

It seems to be an experiment,with speculation that it could lead to Black Widow getting a similar approach if this is successful, and theatres still not a viable option for a saturated wide release.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So I just got booked to work 2 days on the new " Day of the Dead " series. But now I just noticed this note at the very bottom of the last e-mail the Casting Director sent me:

COVID PROTOCOL:

They are not testing any crew or cast on this show. They will have a health questionnaire and a daily temperature check.

Masks are mandatory on set, and when actual rolling of cameras masks will be removed. They will be distancing as much as possible during crowd scenes, but there are times when close quarters will be necessary.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Not so much Hollywood but still entertainment:

Did my first live broadcast in nearly six months last night. Directed a high school football broadcast. It felt really good but wow was it different.

I was in the production trailer but it was just myself and audio. The production trailer was at the TV station. Replay and graphics were taken out of the trailer and run in to a storage garage next to the trailer.

Play by play and color were run through the station to the sales break room. They were separated by plexiglass but called the game via monitor.

At the school were our four cameras run off of satellite packs back to the trailer. And it went really freakin well. It’s weird to be back but man is it good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad