COVID-19 and impact on entertainment industry

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Huh? 24 had nothing to do with 9/11 lol.

I have a pretty good memory of the 24 timeline as it relates to its release. Initially it was supposed to appear on tv in September - the same time as any tv shows began their new seasons. Due to the events of 9/11 the first episode was pushed back a few months as it would appear insensitive to broadcast a show dealing with terrorism so soon after the attacks.

You are right it didn't have anything to do with 9/11 as the first season was already written and filmed prior to the day of the attacks. I suspect the popularity of the show was influenced by those tragic events though to what degree I am not sure.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Disney will be releasing the filmed stage version of Hamilton on Disney Plus in July.

They intended to do a theatrical release,and won a bidding war for the rights. I think it shows the struggle to get new content for the service. This isn't the same as putting something like Mulan straight to video, but it was expected to recoup some of the costs from theatres.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just got an update from UBCP / ACTRA.

As you’re likely aware, the provincial government and the Provincial Health Officer have deemed the restarting of the Motion Picture industry to be part of Phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan. The gradual re-starting of industries in this phase will take place between June and September.

Over the last several weeks, UBCP/ACTRA, along with other industry unions, employers, WorkSafeBC and various stakeholders, has been heavily involved with developing industry-specific guidelines and protocols for a safe return to work. Once completed, these guidelines will be subject to approval by the Provincial Health Officer before our industry is given the green light to resume. While great strides have been made in the development of these guidelines, we are still working towards a timeframe for the completion of this process.

In the meantime, UBCP/ACTRA is strongly encouraging all productions to wait until industry guidelines are in place and the provincial government has approved the resumption of filming. All employers in BC will be required by law to develop and implement a COVID-19 Safety Plan prior to employees returning to work and to communicate that plan to all employees. When completed, the industry guidelines will be a vital resource for productions in developing their own specific COVID-19 safety plans.

If you are offered work on a production that plans to commence prior to provincial approval, please reach out to us through [email protected]. We understand that many workers and producers are eager to return to work, but the health and safety of all Performers remains our highest priority.

I really hope that the Sandra Bullock film I was working on before everything got shut down gets back to shooting ASAP although I have heard that they might finish up the project in LA.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Movie theaters in California will be opening soon, but will limit theater capacity to 25%. I'm unsure if that will be enough to convince studios to release any major releases,but it's inching closer to that status.

California to allow movie theaters to reopen in most counties

Tenet is the one film where you can see a push for theatrical release. It's still formally on the calendar for July 17th I believe. Other studios have releases they pushed off to August and September,that are probably monitoring the situation.

I personally think it's too risky for a theater visit, but if enough States open up, I think someone is going to attempt it soon. While theater capacity would be limited, with nothing on the market,you can distribute on more screens to make up for it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I personally think it's too risky for a theater visit, but if enough States open up, I think someone is going to attempt it soon. While theater capacity would be limited, with nothing on the market,you can distribute on more screens to make up for it.

I can't really think of a worse place to go.

Recirculated air, sitting down in a room with a bunch of people for hours.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Changes to Oscar season coming.

That buys some time,but still hard to predict when movie going will get back to normal and what an actual awards season looks like.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The nationwide theater chain in Finland (which also operates in other Nordic countries) is opening it's three biggest locations in Helsinki, Tampere and Turku on June 24th for testing, with alll locations hopefully open by mid-July. Capacity is limited (either 25 or 50%) and with limited overlapping of showtimes to reduce crowds in theaters. The movies they're opening up with are Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk and Empire Strikes Back.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Changes to Oscar season coming.

That buys some time,but still hard to predict when movie going will get back to normal and what an actual awards season looks like.

I actually don't like this. I think they should have just held the calendar as is and let the votes fall where they may so to speak. If there are fewer movies and fewer "quality" movies, so be it. I think this would put a spotlight on some lesser films that might not be highlighted in normal years. It also could effectively and naturally reward a "popular" movie that so many seem to want to see rewarded. Takes some interest out of what could have been an interesting year.

Reactions: kihei and Zeppo

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I actually don't like this. I think they should have just held the calendar as is and let the votes fall where they may so to speak. If there are fewer movies and fewer "quality" movies, so be it. I think this would put a spotlight on some lesser films that might not be highlighted in normal years. It also could effectively and naturally reward a "popular" movie that so many seem to want to see rewarded. Takes some interest out of what could have been an interesting year.

I can see the benefit. The academy generally is trying to be protective of the theatrical release, and without an extension like this,many smaller awards contenders would push for streaming services, and have a qualifying release in a couple of theatres.

Still, I'd like to see what would shake out in such a weird year like this. Releases have such intricate promotional plans that would get completely set aside. How does the academy decide winners without a 3 month campaign by studios.

It's still going to be a very different year anyways. I'm still expecting that a feel good Oscar bait type movie is going to come out of nowhere and break box office records. It feels like movie like that is destined to happen after everyone has been locked up and miserable.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

On the flip side, though, 2021 (the year recognized at the 2022 awards) will likely be a stronger year than normal and a number of films that might've gotten recognition in a normal year won't because the field will be so crowded. By pushing the calendar to the end of February, some of those films that would've overcrowded 2021 will help bolster 2020 and balance both years out.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
On the flip side, though, 2021 (the year recognized at the 2022 awards) will likely be a stronger year than normal and a number of films that might've gotten recognition in a normal year won't because the field will be so crowded. By pushing the calendar to the end of February, some of those films that would've overcrowded 2021 will help bolster 2020 and balance both years out.

It's hard to say. So many productions have been disrupted that there may not be a steady supply of new films.

I think studios will prioritize getting the existing films completed if they can, and probably push their tentpole flicks,but, there will likely be hesitation to start production on a lot of new stuff until there's a level of certainty that thijgs won't come to a complete stop again.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I believe the other major chains are taking the same approach.

Unless the chains pull back on the opening dates, I think the studios will stick to their release calendar.

The question is now whether people will show up.

Cases in Ontario are pretty low compared to most States, but I wouldn't think about taking my family to a theatre any time soon. I've been considering the drive in,but that's pretty contained.

If daily cases were down to nominal amounts in my area, I may try a late night movie on my own if I expected the theatre to be mainly empty for a movie I was dieing to watch. I love going to the theatre, but something I can do without if I don't feel it's safe.

The big releases still on the schedule this summer are Mulan and Tenet.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Here's the latest from UBCP / ACTRA and it looks like things are slowly starting up again here in Vancouver:

With Phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan set to commence any day now, some productions have already started shooting with several other new and returning productions prepping to go to camera in the coming weeks.

Although the film & television industry was never ordered to shut down on March 13th, productions shut themselves down out of an abundance of caution. While many of us have been waiting for Dr. Bonnie Henry to announce that Phase 3 has begun, a phase that includes our industry, Producers who have a COVID-19 Safety Plan in accordance with WorkSafeBC are allowed to resume operations. Such safety plans must outline the policies, guidelines, and procedures the production has put in place to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. They must also follow any orders, notices and guidance issued by the public health office.

The major studios and larger production companies will most likely have have their own protocol documents but smaller companies who don’t have the same resources will be more reliant on the Pandemic Production Guide. The document is meant to be suggestive rather than prescriptive. It will address general issues such as washing your hands and wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) if physical distancing cannot be maintained. It also gets into more industry-specific issues, such as casting, catering, props, transport, make-up and wardrobe, dressing rooms, background holding areas.

It will also address close proximity between performers on set, including but not limited to stunt sequences and intimacy, a particularly big concern for our members. The WorksafeBC document is clear; performers may refuse close proximity such as hugging or kissing. As such, the producer must have a plan to address these scenarios when Performers cannot be physically distanced from each other.

The Union is also creating its own best practices document, much like we’ve already provided for voice-over work which continued during the industry shutdown. With this document, we will be able to provide more specific suggestions to address your concerns.

For productions with intimacy scenes, we continue to recommend to producers that they utilize the services of an Intimacy Coordinator. ICs can provide alternatives for production to help achieve their creative desires while maintaining the health and safety of our members.

As of today, we have 5 TV Movies shooting, the first started on June 8th. Our Union Representatives will be visiting all of these productions, ensuring that they are adhering to their safety plans and answering questions of our members on set. Please be sure to check out our COVID-19 resources page https://www.ubcpactra.ca/covid-19/ which is updated regularly.

Despite all of the work on guidelines and production planning, much remains unknown. There will likely be issues that are going to come up that we hadn’t specifically contemplated. Information is coming at a rapid pace; we are all trying to adjust and adapt while keeping your health and safety top of mind. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your Union. We are here for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the Sandra Bullock film that I was working on ( Stand-In for Vincent D'Onofrio ) resumes shooting again ASAP but right now it is not even on the " What's Shooting " list on the UBCP / ACTRA website. :(

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Got another update this afternoon from UBCP / ACTRA:

The Premier of the Province of British Columbia has just officially announced that B.C has now moved to Phase 3 of re-opening.

As such, the Province welcomes all production activity to restart or begin and all motion picture activity is encouraged across B.C.

The B.C. Motion Picture Industry COVID-19 Best Practices Coalition (the Coalition) has developed guidelines that have been reviewed by the Province and WorkSafe BC. Please click here for the Safety Guidelines

Creative BC will be sending the Guidelines to the 400 companies and organizations that have signed up to receive them.

The Coalition has worked diligently to create these Safety Guidelines as part of our return to operations and we are confident that they will help ensure the safety of all cast and crew as work resumes.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
With BC opening up, I wonder if other movies and shows will shift there. It's looking like California is going to be a hot zone for a while.

Only question is,how easy is it for people to get work visas from the US right now? I imagine quarantine periods would be a requirement. Also,does BC want to ramp up quickly, or go slowly and see impacts first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad