COVID-19 and impact on entertainment industry

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
With BC opening up, I wonder if other movies and shows will shift there. It's looking like California is going to be a hot zone for a while.

Only question is,how easy is it for people to get work visas from the US right now? I imagine quarantine periods would be a requirement. Also,does BC want to ramp up quickly, or go slowly and see impacts first?

Not easy/near impossible. That especially affects shows that were already crewed up and halted in the middle. New productions will lag for the writers rooms or prep periods.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks like we won't be seeing big Hollywood releases just yet. Warner Brothers postponed Tenet again by a couple of weeks to mid August. I'm skeptical if that date will hold.

Given the level of case increases, I think the summer and even early fall is a write off for theatrical releases.

member 51464

Looks like we won't be seeing big Hollywood releases just yet. Warner Brothers postponed Tenet again by a couple of weeks to mid August. I'm skeptical if that date will hold.

Given the level of case increases, I think the summer and even early fall is a write off for theatrical releases.
AMC must be very depressed at this news.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
AMC must be very depressed at this news.

Meanwhile in Northern Europe, they own the largest theater chains which opened this week, Wednesday here in Finland. Three biggest location only so far with other locations to follow July 1st. 30% capacity and limited overlapping of showtimes to limit crows at hallways. Indoor public gathering limit of 50 ends at the end of July so they might increase the capacity in August.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Broadway is closed until 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/broadway-extends-closure-2021-1.5631256

That eliminates a massive industry for almost a full year. New York is also currently one of the safer places based on case volumes declining,but ultimately, live theatre shows likely need full houses to be economically viable, and even if they did allow shows,it would likely be social distanced seating.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Brie Larson mentioned in her Hot Ones video that before actors come into bodycontact on the sets, they'll have to be quarantined for 5 days prior to it with both parties tested. Might even be CGI'd.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019

DAAAAAAAM YOU AMERICAAAAAAAAA. DAAAAAAAM YOUUUUUUU. We won't get it in August either at this rate.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The New Jersey theater owners lost their case to reopen against the state restrictions. That, plus the shuttering of California theaters as part of their lockdown likely ends any chance of any big release over the summer (along with cases soaring in many parts of the US likely requiring further restrictions).

No official word from Disney or WB on Mulan or Tenet, which i attribute to trying to decide on whether just announcing a longer term delay, rather than pushing for another 2weeks.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
By November, most of Europe could be back to normal. Over here, we're close already. The big question is, how much of the US will and if that's enough to release the movie.

It's a good question. I don't think things are quite there yet where a movie made with a north america release in mind would bypass and go straight international. For one, until a vaccine is ready, even in countries where things are under control, audiences may not be ready to crowd into theatres.

If things are not better by the fall in the US,while being under control in most other countries, I think you may see it happen,but, I don't think it would be Marvel that does it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's a good question. I don't think things are quite there yet where a movie made with a north america release in mind would bypass and go straight international. For one, until a vaccine is ready, even in countries where things are under control, audiences may not be ready to crowd into theatres.

If things are not better by the fall in the US,while being under control in most other countries, I think you may see it happen,but, I don't think it would be Marvel that does it.

Well several Marvel films have been released in Europe a day or two earlier. I asked John Campea about this last week and he said they might release films outside the US earlier but not if the theaters are not open nationwide in the US.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I heard, but no link, that the fall Survivor has been cancelled which sucks, soon there will be nothing left to watch on TV.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I heard, but no link, that the fall Survivor has been cancelled which sucks, soon there will be nothing left to watch on TV.

Here's a Survivor update for you.

from thefutoncritic.com:

Producers for SURVIVOR, the Network's perennial Wednesday 8:00 PM series, are continuing to work with officials in Fiji on the appropriate time to start production on its next edition, with health and safety matters the top priority for everyone involved.

Additional information about production starts and premiere dates for all the series will be announced at a later date.

Reactions: hoglund

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well I finally got some good news - that Sandra Bullock film ( the working title is still the Untitled Graham King Project ) I was working on before everything went to hell is now definitely coming back to Vancouver to finish shooting. The Casting Agent called me yesterday and said that the tentative restart date is Thursday September 3rd. She told me that they are planning on 27 days of filming and that I would probably be needed for about 20 days. Hopefully I can squeeze in a few days on some other shows before September 3rd rolls around.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Well I finally got some good news - that Sandra Bullock film ( the working title is still the Untitled Graham King Project ) I was working on before everything went to hell is now definitely coming back to Vancouver to finish shooting. The Casting Agent called me yesterday and said that the tentative restart date is Thursday September 3rd. She told me that they are planning on 27 days of filming and that I would probably be needed for about 20 days. Hopefully I can squeeze in a few days on some other shows before September 3rd rolls around.

Congrats.

Getting actual film work right now must feel like quite the blessing.

I'm hoping that Canada's management of the pandemic can lead to a strengthened sector in Canada.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Congrats.

Getting actual film work right now must feel like quite the blessing.

Thanks - I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to work. On a completely selfish note the timing here is absolutely perfect for me. My last CERB payment period ends on August 31st so starting up on September 3rd would be great. A few productions were shooting the first week of July here in Vancouver but I don't know anybody that worked on anything yet. I am very curious just how different things will now be on set. :dunno:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

They announced that they were going to cast Canadians a while ago but so far the only Canadian they cast had been living in the States for 40 years. It would be cool if they used Canada's better handling to cast more Canadians for a new season. On RHAP they were talking about filming a season in the States and having an old west theme or something, if they could go to Fiji (or any of their other spots) it would be cool if they filmed a season at a lake up in middle of nowhere Canada.

At least the Amazing Race is taking their spot, I can't imagine we'll be getting any more of those any time soon. Sounds like the one they will show was filmed like 2 years ago. They had been filming one when this whole thing started and just had to send everyone home.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's been a bunch of release date changes in the last few days, both short and long term.

Tenet and Mulan both pushed off indefinitely, which were the last two big summer movie. Quiet Place 2 was schedul for Labor Day and ouahed off to 2021.

Disney also revised dates for all their Avatar and remaining Star Wars films by pushing out a year for each. I think production delays are kicking in now.

Studios have left some smaller releases on the August schedule, including New Mutants, as probably the biggest release on the schedule.

Question will be how many theatres will be open by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad