COVID-19 and impact on entertainment industry

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I was debating on whether a thread was justified for discussing impacts of the virus as we're seeing various impacts like films getting delayed or canceled concerts, but wasn't sure.

This news just hit though, so thought it warranted it, as this Seema line it could have a big impact

Mods, I known these threads can delve into off topic discussions, but I figure it's presence here can keep the others related to the hockey element. But, feel free to lock if you feel it's unnecessary.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
For those watching jazz:

Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox has announced that they have cancelled their tour.

Camp Jitterbug in Seattle was planned for May. It had been announced that it would be cancelled earlier this week.

bluesShout! 2020 in Chicago during the first weekend of April has been cancelled.

Reno Jazz Festival has been cancelled.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
For those watching techno:

Berghain club in Berlin has shut its doors until at least April 20 in the face of the Coronavirus outbreak in Germany.

Ultra Music Festival in Miami has been cancelled.

Time Warp in the German province of Baden-Wurtemburg has been cancelled due to the outbreak in Germany.

Tomorrowland in Alpe d'Huez, France has been cancelled due to the outbreak in France.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
For those following drum and bass:

Rampage Weekend 2020 in Antwerp has been postponed to September due to the outbreak in the Netherlands.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
No Time To Die has been pushed back from April to November, and Mulan had its China premiere postponed indefinitely as well. Mulan already premiered at the Dolby theatre on the 9th, and the U.S. wide release looks to be on track for March 27th, but I have a feeling it will be pushed back. I highly doubt the virus can be contained within 2 weeks, and Disney likely would not want to take a big hit on a project that costs around 200 million just to produce. A good rule of thumb is to double any production cost to get in the ball park of the total cost, which includes advertisement and other promotional fees.

I have a feeling more and more big budget movies will delay their premiere. Now that the NBA has suspended its season, and even Tom Hanks got it, people may actually stay home now.

Last edited:

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I don't think I'm ready for Tom Hanks to kick the bucket

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No Time To Die has been pushed back from April to November, and Mulan had its China premiere postponed indefinitely as well. Mulan already premiered at the Dolby theatre on the 9th, and the U.S. wide release looks to be on track for March 27th, but I have a feeling it will be pushed back. I highly doubt the virus can be contained within 2 weeks, and Disney likely would not want to take a big hit on a project that costs around 200 million just to produce. A good rule of thumb is to double any production cost to get in the ball park of the total cost, which includes advertisement and other promotional fees.

I have a feeling more and more big budget movies will delay their premiere. Now that the NBA has suspended its season, and even Tom Hanks got it, people may actually stay home now.

It would absolutely suck to lose someone like Tom Hanks to this thing.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

I dont think so. People are now focused NOT to respect the authorities. Most of them think, it cant happen to them. Its far away.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
China closed movie theatres right during their peak season and postponed all of their big releases.

I don't know if we'll see a national shutdown of that level (as US seems more likely to have individual states make the call), but if major markets are closed, not just in US, but Europe and Asia, anything getting released will do horribly.

That said, with Disney trying to win the streaming wars, I wouldn't put it past them to release things directly on Disney plus. If people are quarantined, now's the best time to pick up their service.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Economies are going to crumble. This is bad. Like really bad.

Stop the damn panicking over .001% of the population getting sick that 99% of them will recover from.

Tom Hanks and his wife will be fine in 2 weeks.

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The Hanks news is shocking

The world economy is going to collapse

The economy is resistant. All structures are still there. There's just a very strong demand and supply shock that will resolve itself. It's just going to take time.

On top of film release delays, we're also seeing production delays. I heard the next Mission Impossible film production was pushed back. The next season of Survivor is delayed.

If the social distancing efforts are put in place aggressively domestically, that could shut down a lot of film sets.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For the economy you need to factor in stuff like transportation and knock on affects.

Here in the UK so far about 1000 hotel workers have lost jobs and many restaurants have closed. It will take about 6 months for the knock on affect to be felt

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And for markets that were already vulnerable, this thing was the final straw that destroyed demand. Look at oil and gas industry.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For awhile, each new day is going to bring even more distressing news--we are just at the start of this thing. With national leaders predicting extremely wide spreads of the disease, up to 70 percent of the population according to more than a few, any even semi-large gathering is going to be curtailed for an indefinite time. Best to stay home and read a book. Or, if you have a wicked sense of gallows humour, you could watch Matt Damon in Contagion. We are in a whole different world for the time being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad