Coverage of the CBJ

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Problem for the Jackets, and Jacket fans is that the Jackets will always suck hind tit to the Buckeyes. The CBJ beat writers do their jobs, and I think they do it well, but the paper as a whole is always going to relegate them to the back pages when OSU stories are dominant.

As far as 97.1 and 610 go, the same thing applies. Any sports guys on those stations that bash the CBJ aren't going to get even a glance from the station management, but they say something bad about the Buckeyes, they will be run out of town on a rail. I don't mean that they can't be critical of some things, but they say something that pisses off the University, hang on to your ass.

I think FOX sports Ohio has actually expanded and improved their CBJ coverage. I have no issues with them.

The biggest problem with the bolded station has been and seemingly always will be a severe lack of even basic hockey knowledge from its on air talent.

The only way this improves is if 1. anybody there suddenly gives a damn and decides to improve or 2. The CBJ product improves and demand for air time/quality of on-air product increases

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Problem for the Jackets, and Jacket fans is that the Jackets will always suck hind tit to the Buckeyes. The CBJ beat writers do their jobs, and I think they do it well, but the paper as a whole is always going to relegate them to the back pages when OSU stories are dominant.

As far as 97.1 and 610 go, the same thing applies. Any sports guys on those stations that bash the CBJ aren't going to get even a glance from the station management, but they say something bad about the Buckeyes, they will be run out of town on a rail. I don't mean that they can't be critical of some things, but they say something that pisses off the University, hang on to your ass.

I think FOX sports Ohio has actually expanded and improved their CBJ coverage. I have no issues with them.

This is a Buckeye town. Probably well over 50% of the people in Metro Columbus consider themselves a fan. 100,000+ people consistently jame the stadium for every game.
Now compare that to the Jackets who on some nights are getting 8k people (paid). ANd honestly as far as fans it is a fraction of the Buckeyes.

Also even look at Sports Talk radio. 1460 use to have lot of local talk (AM, noon, PM drive) but it's not profitable. THat's why I think now as far as local daily programming it's just the PM drive (AM is ESPN radio) and sometimes noon (during football season I think but maybe it is daily).
610 has more local talk (AM and PM drives) but it's usually not focused on sports.

If you want 100% hockey talk buy sirius/xm and listen to their hockey channel. if you want local hockey talk scrape together $150k, buy a small AM radio station and try to sell advertising for the few people who listen. it doesn't make sense financially.
That's the great thing about the internet. If you want to find other fans of the Jackets, Crew, roller girls, etc you can find them. But that doesn't mean anyone else needs to waste their money on covering the Jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad