Coverage of the CBJ

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The only guy that I've heard who had any serious knowledge of hockey was fired in October thanks to Kirk Herbstreit. Torg knew what he was talking about when he'd bring up the NHL.

T-Bone does seem to know a bit about hockey, though.

And, if he was truly responsible, I do thank Herbstreit for that.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
While the new guy's appearance may be a bit unsettling, I think he brings good experience and insight to the pre and post game. Seems to know more than Crawford (not hard to do) and I really don't mind him at all. He and Maetzold are fine, IMO.

As far as Torg is considered. He was a blow-hard with potty humor and no real knowledge. I guess that appeals to some, not me. Glad to see him fired.

Now, if the CBJ would only find SOMEONE to host the arena entertainment that doesn't speak like a yokel or screetch like a junoir high cheerleader, I'd be happy!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
While the new guy's appearance may be a bit unsettling, I think he brings good experience and insight to the pre and post game. Seems to know more than Crawford (not hard to do) and I really don't mind him at all. He and Maetzold are fine, IMO.

As far as Torg is considered. He was a blow-hard with potty humor and no real knowledge. I guess that appeals to some, not me. Glad to see him fired.

Now, if the CBJ would only find SOMEONE to host the arena entertainment that doesn't speak like a yokel or screetch like a junoir high cheerleader, I'd be happy!

Spot on, Derby!

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The only guy that I've heard who had any serious knowledge of hockey was fired in October thanks to Kirk Herbstreit. Torg knew what he was talking about when he'd bring up the NHL.

T-Bone does seem to know a bit about hockey, though.

I'm going to miss him suggesting we give players a near death experience in order to scare them into performing better.

/proud to say I wrote a letter commending 97.1 for firing this talentless ********.

Anyways, regarding the other stuff, I think the coverage level is probably more than we deserve. Portzline is Portzline, and while we're still prone to getting Konopka updates when we really wanna know if somebody is injured/trade rumors/ etc, he's stopped trying to troll the readers somewhat. I count this as a win.

Last edited:

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
I was just wondering where everybody stands with the current quality and amount of coverage of the CBJ.

Has the new Dispatch premium paywall on their website effected you in any way? Has it made you go to other blogs or what have you for CBJ news?

Is Rob Mixer (The CBJ website beat writer) a new hire for this year? He seems to pump out 5 times the amount of information compared to the Dispatch team. Do you think him being employed directly by the team is an issue when it comes to his reporting?

Is there anything missing? What needs to improve?

Am I the ONLY one who realizes this is Matthew's/Mattlund's cry for help and naked grab for readers from a wounded Dispatch?

This thread is Matthew's blatant attempt to set up the return of Mattlund's Blog-Rakers as THE source for Blue Jacket Bingo, and other hockey news.

www.blog-rakers.blogspot.com

========================================

In CHROME, all you have to do is select IN COGNITO MODE and you can read as much of the Dispatch as you want.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Am I the ONLY one who realizes this is Matthew's/Mattlund's cry for help and naked grab for readers from a wounded Dispatch?

This thread is Matthew's blatant attempt to set up the return of Mattlund's Blog-Rakers as THE source for Blue Jacket Bingo, and other hockey news.

www.blog-rakers.blogspot.com

========================================

In CHROME, all you have to do is select IN COGNITO MODE and you can read as much of the Dispatch as you want.

A majority of my posts are sad, pathetic cries for help, but I promise you I started this thread with only the best and non-plugging intentions!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, she is a reporter. She interviews the players and is around the game. She is knowledgeable on the game. However, she's been there for like 10 years and they haven't given her a show.

That's because radio shows aren't news. They're game-host style entertainment that occasionally includes news updates. The required skillset has less to do with the ability to get information and be in the know, and more the ability to keep talking no matter what, engage with your audience at the most basic level to keep 'em coming back, and know just enough to parrot back and forth with guys who call in so that airtime is filled.

It's not the sort of position that encourages expertise. If you get somebody who has that in addition to all the skills that being a good radio show host requires, they're arguably worth their weight in gold.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
A majority of my posts are sad, pathetic cries for help, but I promise you I started this thread with only the best and non-plugging intentions!

So you're disclaiming http://www.blograkers.com/ ?

You know what would help that blog? Natalie in a bikini.
I mean, isn't that what most of the criticism of "coverage" really comes down to. FSOhio has its girls. You should hire some for your blog.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
He can't, because there are no girls on the Internet.

Sure there are. They just all get either awkwardly creeped on, or else universally criticized for having pointy knees or puffy ankles.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
I'm not a Jackets fan, but I have a soft spot for them because my best friend works for them in hockey operations.

I follow Portzline on Twitter and I think he does a great job. He's not an insider with 100% accuracy or anything, but he provides good info and has a sense of humour, which you need if you're covering a team like that.

Considering how bad the team is, he provides better coverage than they deserve.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You guys do know there is a very easy way around the paywall on the Dispatch site, right?

Firefox and Chrome have built in incognito browsers that don't allow your visits to show up in history or download cookies? Use that and you have unlimited Dispatch.com viewing.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
You guys do know there is a very easy way around the paywall on the Dispatch site, right?

Firefox and Chrome have built in incognito browsers that don't allow your visits to show up in history or download cookies? Use that and you have unlimited Dispatch.com viewing.

It's a whole 2 extra clicks to enable that mode. When they write something worth the time it takes to make those 2 clicks, I'll actually make them.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

...and that is why I will never have to designate someone to clear my browser history in the event of my sudden death.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
0yygQZW.jpg

Twitter makes everybody a columnist, not just a reporter.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
0yygQZW.jpg

I nearly hit unfollow today and I don't know why I didn't.

And I could give two craps about the "NHL Coach". It's clear just by the fact that he was asking AP the question that he has not watched any of the Jackets games and based his reaction on stupid APs commit. I get tired of this ****** bag always trying to create drama.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

It's the same thing he's been rambling on about for the past 2 weeks on the podcast.

They seem to be as disinterested in the team as the players, and many of the former fans.

I thought this bit from Morgan last night was good.

2. My second beer goes to whatever knob asked Coach Richards in the post-game interview where Derek Brassard was during the last power play of the game. Have the stones to do your job and ask direct questions. "Why did you keep Brassard on the bench during that power play?" is what you should have asked. Don't skirt a tough question because you don't want to lose followers on twitter. Have some expectations, media members. The change starts with you.

http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com/2013/02/morgans-game-11-six-pack-atlanta-flames.html

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I nearly hit unfollow today and I don't know why I didn't.

And I could give two craps about the "NHL Coach". It's clear just by the fact that he was asking AP the question that he has not watched any of the Jackets games and based his reaction on stupid APs commit. I get tired of this ****** bag always trying to create drama.

You really could, couldn't you? What would you be missing? The CBJ seem determined to faze Porty, et al. out with Mixer and all the info they feed to him directly.

One thing I am disappointed in the entire coverage is, what of James Wisneiwski? Have I missed the boat on this entirely or are we still in the dark about Wiz?

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
You really could, couldn't you? What would you be missing? The CBJ seem determined to faze Porty, et al. out with Mixer and all the info they feed to him directly.

One thing I am disappointed in the entire coverage is, what of James Wisneiwski? Have I missed the boat on this entirely or are we still in the dark about Wiz?

You are right I could unfollow and miss nothing. I guess I still follow to fuel my hate. :laugh:

I did see one tweet yesterday (not sure from who) that said Wiz skated by himself after the morning skate. But that has been it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad