Coverage of the CBJ

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I was just wondering where everybody stands with the current quality and amount of coverage of the CBJ.

Has the new Dispatch premium paywall on their website effected you in any way? Has it made you go to other blogs or what have you for CBJ news?

Is Rob Mixer (The CBJ website beat writer) a new hire for this year? He seems to pump out 5 times the amount of information compared to the Dispatch team. Do you think him being employed directly by the team is an issue when it comes to his reporting?

Is there anything missing? What needs to improve?

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Between Rob Mixer and Portzline's tweets, I'm fairly happy.

I do miss Tom Reed, although he does still tweet about the Jackets from time to time.

Sure would be nice to get a radio station home here in Cleveland for a Coaches Show and a Radio Broadcast home. Outside of WEOL.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Paywall shut me out. It is easy to get around but I don't care enough about what they're writing to do so.

Porty blocked me on twitter. It is easy to get around it, but I don't care enough what he has to say.

GameCenter Live blocks me from watching Jackets games live. I could get around it, but it isn't worth the effort to watch this team, so I've enjoyed watching other teams around the league. Currently have the Boston Buffalo tilt on right now.

At some point you'd think I would get the hint that this team doesn't want me to follow them.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I quit reading Puckrakers cause I'm too lazy to clear cache.
I'm split on Mixer. Seems like an OK guy, but his stuff is biased and isnt critical enough but for straight out news, he does a solid job.
As for the CBJ digital team, sometimes comes across as very youthful and inexperienced.

My favorite reporting comes from NHL Sirius XM radio. I can listen to it 24-7.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Disappointed in my local paper's coverage of the Jackets. For that matter, of the NHL in general. They could do a lot more...

Also disappointed in the local TV stations and their serious lack of coverage of the CBJ.

In fact, without the internet, there would be no CBJ for me...

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
I was just wondering where everybody stands with the current quality and amount of coverage of the CBJ.

Has the new Dispatch premium paywall on their website effected you in any way? Has it made you go to other blogs or what have you for CBJ news?

Is Rob Mixer (The CBJ website beat writer) a new hire for this year? He seems to pump out 5 times the amount of information compared to the Dispatch team. Do you think him being employed directly by the team is an issue when it comes to his reporting?

Is there anything missing? What needs to improve?

The Foxsports Ohio girls are really hot....like the coverage there. Especially the brunette.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I think the coverage is good but there can always be more IMO

For example, I would love for the Dispatch to put out a weekly section devoted strictly to hockey. Put it out say in the Friday edition, with all sorts of stats, previews for the week, etc.

The coverage is there if you want to find it

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Used to have Puck-Rakers on my favorite bar so I could get to it quickly. Since the paywall went up, it's been replaced by Twitter, which is where I get my info.

I do miss Puck-Rakers because it gets tiresome with Twitter's cutesy 140-character limit and Porty's Tweets getting interspersed with others, but I'm not going the back way to un-freeze it after 10 article reads.

The Foxsports Ohio girls are really hot....like the coverage there. Especially the brunette.

Too much coverage if you ask me. :naughty:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Coverage is ok. Would prefer a little more in depth analysis rather than opinions and best guesses, etc

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of Aportzline, even though I know he is well respected around hockey.

I guess I just prefer to form my own conclusions derived from a variety of twitter accounts.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I do miss unlimited Puckrakers, especially for chats and Cannon Fodder, but I won't pay for it. I subscribe to the daily paper and I'll be damned if I'll support that dying media and then pay for what's killing it. I hate the radio support the team gets from its "flagship" station, so I get most of my team info from Mixer, this board, the several excellent blogs devoted to the team, and the various sites of general NHL interest. I have plenty of time to ramble around the 'net, so I usually have more info, at hand, than I would at any other time in history!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Like others I miss puckrakers. But usually if something big happens someone passes along the info in here.
I think the local news does ok. They can't spend too much time on it when they play this bad.
We need to give them something to talk about, if we want more coverage. Right now there is little interest so little coverage.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
News paper coverage - sucks

Radio coverage -

97.1 I stopped listening years ago so I can't really tell you anything about it, but I bet it still sucks.

610 Dave Maetzold has a "hockey hour" (11:00) every Sunday and does a good job. Most of the time he has at least one good hockey guest.

Twitter -

@RobMixer has been an allstar so far this season. 80% of the time he is the first to report team information and is one of the few that will reply to your tweets. Only con is that he does work for the team so there may be some bias there.

@Aportzline has been very disappointing so far this season. He rarely breaks any news, he IMO steals other peoples tweets sometimes instead of just retweeting them and he never has any inside..

@smitchcd he reports some news but really he does not add anything that you can not already get from @RobMixer.

@LoriSchmidt IMO she has disappeared this season. Maybe she has other work to do?

What the coverage of this team is poorly lacking is someone with real sources within the team and the NHL.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Honestly, I find myself not really caring about the additions/subtractions to coverage lately.

I thought Mixer was some PR guy up until recently, I guess since he works for the team/website, he still technically is.

The paywall on the dispatch's blog has me shut out, but the last few years, I haven't really cared about the beat writers job, I don't care about touching stories about Dorsett's hometown ice rink burning to the ground, etc. I want to see winning NHL hockey and read about it.

I have an app on my phone that gives me the latest tweets, etc. from the "people in the know" with the team, that I can check whenever, thats about enough for me until the team starts making me care about everyday things that go on with it.

Big news still gets through, callups, send downs, injuries... thats probably enough for me until I start seeing some real progress in the W-L column. I don't think I'm in the minority with that, either.

redsfanhere*

Jun 9, 2011
i think we have top notch coverage with the team.really enjoy portzline honesty and humor to be quite good thru these trying times...unfortunately doesn't have alot of positives to write about the team which makes it quite hard on our writers:cry::cry:

Natty0415

Jan 23, 2013
I was an avid puckrackers reader. Paywall shut it down. Not worth paying for. Fox pre and post game is mediocre.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Radio coverage -

97.1 I stopped listening years ago so I can't really tell you anything about it, but I bet it still sucks.

The only guy that I've heard who had any serious knowledge of hockey was fired in October thanks to Kirk Herbstreit. Torg knew what he was talking about when he'd bring up the NHL.

T-Bone does seem to know a bit about hockey, though.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The only guy that I've heard who had any serious knowledge of hockey was fired in October thanks to Kirk Herbstreit. Torg knew what he was talking about when he'd bring up the NHL.

T-Bone does seem to know a bit about hockey, though.

Look Torg was a fan and talked about the team. I appreciated that. But to suggest he had "serious knowledge" about Hockey is laughable.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Look Torg was a fan and talked about the team. I appreciated that. But to suggest he had "serious knowledge" about Hockey is laughable.

He was an average fan with some hockey contacts. Compared to every other Fan on-air talent, that makes him the hockey master.

"In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king".

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Personally I like the CBJ coverage. I think its one of the best for small market teams in the NHL

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He was an average fan with some hockey contacts. Compared to every other Fan on-air talent, that makes him the hockey master.

"In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king".

If we are talking in the context of 97.1 for "on-air" you are right. However that wasn't conditional. Isn't Lori Schmidt and employee of 97.1? She makes all of them look like morons... :p

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Personally I like the CBJ coverage. I think its one of the best for small market teams in the NHL

Not having been exposed to other small markets, I will take your word for it. However, the first part, I am in agreement. I have no issues with local CBJ coverage, although we don't have a great radio presence. 97.1 drops the ball.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If we are talking in the context of 97.1 for "on-air" you are right. However that wasn't conditional. Isn't Lori Schmidt and employee of 97.1? She makes all of them look like morons... :p

Yes, she is a reporter. She interviews the players and is around the game. She is knowledgeable on the game. However, she's been there for like 10 years and they haven't given her a show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad