Coverage of the CBJ

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You are right I could unfollow and miss nothing. I guess I still follow to fuel my hate. :laugh:

I did see one tweet yesterday (not sure from who) that said Wiz skated by himself after the morning skate. But that has been it.

Yeah he's skating. But no official word on any specific injuries that I've seen anywhere. The coach said concussion, but nothing has been made official from what I could see.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
i found it interesting that he went on a rant like that...

Agreed. Good on Portzline for being more direct instead of his usual passive-aggressive style.

But Portzline should be smart enough to know they were psuedo-tanking all along. And that the club will never ever ever acknowledge it.

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Yeah he's skating. But no official word on any specific injuries that I've seen anywhere. The coach said concussion, but nothing has been made official from what I could see.

Yeah nothing about the specific injuries and I don't even think concussion was ever confirmed. My guess is he just hurts from head to toe with not real injury.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Agreed. Good on Portzline for being more direct instead of his usual passive-aggressive style.

But Portzline should be smart enough to know they were psuedo-tanking all along. And the club will never ever ever acknowledge it.

In one of the "Behind The Battle" specials videos on Jackets TV they show a scouting meeting with JD, GMSH, etc. They dedicate several minutes to the braintrust talking about Mackinnon and Jones. That's about as close to an admission as I think we'll see.

The Blackhawks and Penguins aren't worrying about Mackinnon right now, that's for sure.

Yeah nothing about the specific injuries and I don't even think concussion was ever confirmed. My guess is he just hurts from head to toe with not real injury.

It's one thing not to ask the tough questions about RJ and Brass. It's another thing to not find out what's really going on with the 7 Million Dollar Man.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
As most have stated I'm pretty disappointed with the coverage of the team. Mixer does well, IMO but basically he just reporting the most basic info line line combos and starting goalies. The current dispatch group are a bunch of hacks. I can't remember the last time i actually heard anything more than common knowledge deductions regarding a trade, front office thoughts/moves/decisions, injuries you name it.

Dispatch guys seem to have pushed their agendas too far and as a result have alienated themselves from the team. I mean look at just a few of the stories right now that:

1. Team struggles and the questions if anyone is on the trade block
i.e. Umberger and Brass
2. Wiz Injury
3. JD's evaluation of the team

Information on any one of these stories could help put to rest alot of fan unrest and griping (though I'm sure it would cause new interesting gripes :sarcasm:), but no one is actually investigating what is going on with the Jackets because all the hockey "reporters" have used their columns to push agendas and have been effectively locked out. It is important now that we are in our first full rebuild to put out information that shows the organization is moving forward and gives hope to the fans.

Edit:
Also, in anticipation of all those saying "we've been rebuilding since (insert date here) this is the first true rebuild we have had. We aren't trying to sign guys to help us compete now, we are stock piling draft picks for the first time (name me a year where the Jackets had more than 1 first round pick?) and are building a core of young players. This is the first actual rebuild that we have done and it is quite a few years overdue.

Last edited:

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As most have stated I'm pretty disappointed with the coverage of the team. Mixer does well, IMO but basically he just reporting the most basic info line line combos and starting goalies. The current dispatch group are a bunch of hacks. I can't remember the last time i actually heard anything more than common knowledge deductions regarding a trade, front office thoughts/moves/decisions, injuries you name it.

Dispatch guys seem to have pushed their agendas too far and as a result have alienated themselves from the team. I mean look at just a few of the stories right now that:

1. Team struggles and the questions if anyone is on the trade block
i.e. Umberger and Brass
2. Wiz Injury
3. JD's evaluation of the team

Information on any one of these stories could help put to rest alot of fan unrest and griping (though I'm sure it would cause new interesting gripes :sarcasm:), but no one is actually investigating what is going on with the Jackets because all the hockey "reporters" have used their columns to push agendas and have been effectively locked out.

Agenda pushing. I do wonder how much of that led to the hiring and pushing of one Rob Mixer. He did start this year, am I correct? If not, I do not remember the Official CBJ Twitter feed re-tweeting half of his tweets with gusto like they have this year.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
there's been a larger push for digital media within the team...he basically has stepped in where Ryan Holtmann used to be the "face of twitter" for the team

also...rob's been with the organIzation since 2010 in some capacities...

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

They keep coming back to "car accident symptoms". I've been in one of those, and been in an impact that replicated it...for those who haven't been, it's more than just discomfort. It's an odd combination of everything being either tight or loose that isn't alleviated by switching positions. The time I was in a bad accident, I ended up with one shoulder that was so stiff I couldn't move it, and the other so loose it felt like my arm was going to just windmill in the breeze.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
They keep coming back to "car accident symptoms". I've been in one of those, and been in an impact that replicated it...for those who haven't been, it's more than just discomfort. It's an odd combination of everything being either tight or loose that isn't alleviated by switching positions. The time I was in a bad accident, I ended up with one shoulder that was so stiff I couldn't move it, and the other so loose it felt like my arm was going to just windmill in the breeze.

When I saw him after the game that night this first thing that came to mind was that he looked like he was walking away from a car wreck.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I nearly hit unfollow today and I don't know why I didn't.

And I could give two craps about the "NHL Coach". It's clear just by the fact that he was asking AP the question that he has not watched any of the Jackets games and based his reaction on stupid APs commit. I get tired of this ****** bag always trying to create drama.

So who's NHL Coach," Cloude or Hitch?

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
You really could, couldn't you? What would you be missing? The CBJ seem determined to faze Porty, et al. out with Mixer and all the info they feed to him directly.

One thing I am disappointed in the entire coverage is, what of James Wisneiwski? Have I missed the boat on this entirely or are we still in the dark about Wiz?

The CBJ, as always, are trying to control the narrative. Mixer is just one example of this. It's why they have the Bribe Box...er, "Social Media Suite". Same reason the military has embedded reporters--if you start to personally connect with guys and think they are your friends, suddenly it is harder to say something critical of them even when it is deserved. It is a pretty smart PR scheme. One that someone in Chicago spent hours and hours helping the Jackets with.

The problem is that at some point a false narrative doesn't match reality. And then the people who pushed the narrative lose credibility.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
well since its kinda difficult to ride the dispatch out with the Wolfe's owning 10% or whatever it is...the end of the day, the Jackets have just chosen to be more progressive with their reporting of the team, where as it seems like the Dispatch has not kept up...

I don't see it as the team "controlling the narrative" at all...its just the method the reports are being communicated by each individual outlet...including the content at FSO

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
It's why they have the Bribe Box...er, "Social Media Suite". Same reason the military has embedded reporters--if you start to personally connect with guys and think they are your friends, suddenly it is harder to say something critical of them even when it is deserved. It is a pretty smart PR scheme. One that someone in Chicago spent hours and hours helping the Jackets with.

i actually spoke to rob about that in the suite on tuesday...the idea came from a trip to an indians game where they came up with a similar idea...the CBJ just tweaked it to work for here...

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
i actually spoke to rob about that in the suite on tuesday...the idea came from a trip to an indians game where they came up with a similar idea...the CBJ just tweaked it to work for here...

Oh, I'm not accusing them of being original. The Preds and Isles have made efforts to include social media into their PR plan as well. I also don't begrudge people from enjoying the suite. Have at it. I've had my share of time in suites and club seats. There was always a business motive for someone having me there and so it is with anyone invited to the social media suite. They didn't forego making revenue for nothing.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
well since its kinda difficult to ride the dispatch out with the Wolfe's owning 10% or whatever it is...the end of the day, the Jackets have just chosen to be more progressive with their reporting of the team, where as it seems like the Dispatch has not kept up...

I don't see it as the team "controlling the narrative" at all...its just the method the reports are being communicated by each individual outlet...including the content at FSO

Maybe it isn't. Maybe it won't be. I don't follow him, but I see enough of his retweets to be aware of him.

There are, however, cautionary tales available with this new style of journalism. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ch-hammond-leaves-job-nhl-214456802--nhl.html

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Oh, I'm not accusing them of being original. The Preds and Isles have made efforts to include social media into their PR plan as well. I also don't begrudge people from enjoying the suite. Have at it. I've had my share of time in suites and club seats. There was always a business motive for someone having me there and so it is with anyone invited to the social media suite. They didn't forego making revenue for nothing.

of course they didn't...its a PR and future sales thing...that's obvious..also a way for them to try and connect with the fans a little better and try to regain a bit of trust back...

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Can you blame them?

No. I fully expect it.

The reality is that you can't control the message long term in the age of Twitter. Its a losing battle. The only way for this team to change the narrative isn't to find another messenger to play the Iraqi Information Minister, it is to change the results on the ice. No matter what the Jackets try to do locally, the national/international hockey media will take shots at us until things get turned around. Just ask the LA Clippers how that works.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Problem for the Jackets, and Jacket fans is that the Jackets will always suck hind tit to the Buckeyes. The CBJ beat writers do their jobs, and I think they do it well, but the paper as a whole is always going to relegate them to the back pages when OSU stories are dominant.

As far as 97.1 and 610 go, the same thing applies. Any sports guys on those stations that bash the CBJ aren't going to get even a glance from the station management, but they say something bad about the Buckeyes, they will be run out of town on a rail. I don't mean that they can't be critical of some things, but they say something that pisses off the University, hang on to your ass.

I think FOX sports Ohio has actually expanded and improved their CBJ coverage. I have no issues with them.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The CBJ, as always, are trying to control the narrative. Mixer is just one example of this. It's why they have the Bribe Box...er, "Social Media Suite". Same reason the military has embedded reporters--if you start to personally connect with guys and think they are your friends, suddenly it is harder to say something critical of them even when it is deserved. It is a pretty smart PR scheme. One that someone in Chicago spent hours and hours helping the Jackets with.

The problem is that at some point a false narrative doesn't match reality. And then the people who pushed the narrative lose credibility.

Perhaps, but history doesn't bear this out. Teams in all pro sports have generally had a solid working relationship with the media, regardless of whether that media is complimentary or not. One of the earliest examples was in 1897, which involved a Chicago reporter (Hugh Fullerton) putting a headline that said "CAPTAIN ANSON DESIRES ME TO ANNOUNCE, IN BLACK TYPE AT THE HEAD OF THIS COLUMN, THAT THE CHICAGO BASEBALL CLUB IS COMPOSED OF A BUNCH OF DRUNKARDS AND LOAFERS WHO ARE THROWING HIM DOWN".

Fullerton was fairly typical of that era of journalism, free to print rumor and innuendo and (known) unsavory things without fear of repercussion. This isn't something that went away; reporters of all types were central to numerous scandals and clubhouse grievances within sports that have gone on since then. And through it all, the teams were still providing access and travel accommodations, costing themselves money while running the risk every single day of being slammed in the papers or on the airwaves.

Now, if you want to argue that it's something that's become less common over time, that may be true. I don't know if it is, but I think a combination of fear (of losing access) and a growing trend in the last 30 years toward "professionalism" in the media has taken some of the bite out. Lori Schmidt's back-and-forth with Scott Arniel was notable for a couple of reasons, but it didn't come close to Jack Buck's on-air tirade about Vern Rapp (which included the word "loser", and which resulted in Rapp being fired...after a win). The sports media is no different than any other media today, in that it's still trying to find its way in a rapidly changing landscape.

Now, my own thoughts? I think that for too long, some damned good reporters and writers have been shut out for either not knowing the right people, or for being too nice/abrasive/bland/descriptive. The rise in social media has given these people access and a platform that would have been impossible just 10 years ago, which I think only improves the end result as a natural effect of competition. Of course, it means that we have to slog through 10,000 Twitter accounts that rely heavily on "#YOLO" to find the good stuff...

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
In one of the "Behind The Battle" specials videos on Jackets TV they show a scouting meeting with JD, GMSH, etc. They dedicate several minutes to the braintrust talking about Mackinnon and Jones. That's about as close to an admission as I think we'll see.

The Blackhawks and Penguins aren't worrying about Mackinnon right now, that's for sure.

I think I saw the same episode you are talking about. I think Davidson or Howson mentions something about how they have 4 high picks (including the Jackets one in the 2nd round) and that they had to get the draft right.

At first, I thought this was a blatant admission of tanking - why are they assuming our 2nd round pick is going to be near the top?

But as I thought about it more, I think it was more them planning as if the lockout was going to last all year. When it was filmed (shortly after JD was hired), a full-year lockout was likely considered a definite possibility. If the lottery went the way of the last lockout, they'd have a pretty good chance at being in the top picks, so they better be preparing to know how MacKinnon compares to Jones.

That's how I decided to take it.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
0yygQZW.jpg

Twitter makes everybody a columnist, not just a reporter.

The Nash trade wasn't "seismic" or "troublesome" enough for him? Maybe he's waiting for an Umberger or Mason trade that will surely shake the NHL to its very foundation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad