Couture for Calder?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I agree that right now Couture is the front runner but Stepan is putting up a real battle and not really being talked about in the Calder race somehow.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Couture is not going to be able to win it in his rookie year. Imo he is definately in the top 10 (quite possibly top 5), but until he makes a name for himself it will be ignored.

Keep in mind that he is heads and shoulders above Marleau defensively. And Marleau was ranked somewhere in the top 10 for selke votes.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Gotta love the reasoning people come up with to diminish a player's achievements:

"He's not on the top line so people don't pay attention to him on the ice". This is of course a complete fallacy, teams don't stop playing defense 2/3 of the game because Thornton is on the bench.

"He doesn't play top 6 minutes, he'd produce as much as (insert calder contender who does play top 6 minutes) if given that much ice time. This directly contradicts reason #1, and get spewed dozens of times (each) in these threads as well. Obviously both can't be right.

mjburns

down by the bay
Jan 17, 2010
Santa Cruz
Couture is not going to be able to win it in his rookie year. Imo he is definately in the top 10 (quite possibly top 5), but until he makes a name for himself it will be ignored.

Keep in mind that he is heads and shoulders above Marleau defensively. And Marleau was ranked somewhere in the top 10 for selke votes.

marleau's play this year has been lackluster, both offensively and defensively... not taking anything away from couture, but i dont know if he is better than patty when he is on his game.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Couture score 12 more goals from now until the end of the season then you might as well etch his name on the trophy.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Age/experience plays no part in the calder voting. The calder goes to the best rookie.

The defensive aspect of his game will make it extremely hard for Hall to win.

And for the last time.... Couture started on the 3rd line and stayed there for the 1st 10 games. That line was Mcginn-Couture-Mitchell. Hall was put with Eberle and Gagner i believe. Do you seriously think Coutures chances of winning were better than Hall's at the beginning of the season? If Couture played his 1st 34 games with Eberle and Gagner I would expect him to have around the same point totals, if not more.

Before this year Couture was a "dark horse" to win. This was because he was slotted to play on the 3rd line. He was not put in a good situation. He put himself in one.

Look at his current linemates. Clowe and Fierrero. Clowe somehow is on pace for almost 80 points. His high is 57 points. Fierrero is on pace for 35 points. Give Couture some credit. He is making his linemates better. His linemates are not responsible for his numbers because he is the catalist of the line.

Not right at all.

Hall spent his first 10 ish games being thrown around the line up wherever. Including being stuck with brule and cogliano for an extended period.

He was then playing with horcoff and eberle. A rookie and a struggling vet, thats when he made a name for himself.

Now he plays with Gagner and eberle since horcoff went down, again, a rookie and a 21 year old with a career high of under 60 points.

Hall also started the year with no pp time, and no time in OT or as a shootout player.
Only recently has he gotten any of that.

None of hall, eberle, or couture have star linemates this year. The one thing couture does have, is a better team in front of him.

I'm not saying he wouldn't produce on the oilers, i'm just saying that having players like heatley, marleau, and thorton on your team, no matter how good a rookie is, chances are the number 1 defender is going up against your proven 100 point player.

This is a great crop of rookies this year, at the moment i'd call couture the favorite, but if you think being on the san jose sharks as opposed to the oilers isn't helping him out, then you're kidding yourself.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I agree that right now Couture is the front runner but Stepan is putting up a real battle and not really being talked about in the Calder race somehow.
So what? No one is talking about Eberle or Bickell either.

I think it will come down to Couture, Hall, and Shattenkirk.

Yes, I do believe Couture should be Calder eligible. Yes, I do believe that Couture has benefited from having Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton on the same team taking some of the top checking/defenseman attention away from him. Thats why deeper teams are more succesful.

AbsolonMoreau*

Yes, I do believe Couture should be Calder eligible. Yes, I do believe that Couture has benefited from having Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton on the same team taking some of the top checking/defenseman attention away from him. Thats why deeper teams are more succesful.

As of right now Couture's line is getting the top d-man match-ups.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Not right at all.

Hall spent his first 10 ish games being thrown around the line up wherever. Including being stuck with brule and cogliano for an extended period.

He was then playing with horcoff and eberle. A rookie and a struggling vet, thats when he made a name for himself.

Now he plays with Gagner and eberle since horcoff went down, again, a rookie and a 21 year old with a career high of under 60 points.

Hall also started the year with no pp time, and no time in OT or as a shootout player.
Only recently has he gotten any of that.

None of hall, eberle, or couture have star linemates this year. The one thing couture does have, is a better team in front of him.

I'm not saying he wouldn't produce on the oilers, i'm just saying that having players like heatley, marleau, and thorton on your team, no matter how good a rookie is, chances are the number 1 defender is going up against your proven 100 point player.

This is a great crop of rookies this year, at the moment i'd call couture the favorite, but if you think being on the san jose sharks as opposed to the oilers isn't helping him out, then you're kidding yourself.

How long did Hall play with Cogliano and Brule? Cogliano and Brule > Mcginn and Mitchell anyway

From my knowledge, Couture's line has been getting matched up against top defenseman lately. Thornton, Heatley and Marleau have had a very minimal impact in Couture's success.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

So what? So I'm saying I find it odd. You can talk about Eberle and Bickell if you want. We'll see how it all plays out. Stepan is not out of the race by any means.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

This is true. It is frustrating to hear Couture's nice first half inaccurately compared to Cheechoo's flash in a pan season since Couture 'does not even play on Thornton's line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00