Couture for Calder?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Couture's progression has been stellar. He had a dominant year in the AHL last year (to go with solid play on the big team) and is continuing on in the NHL. He has the pedigree to go with what we are seeing right now, so my guess is that he keeps it up and wins the Calder. If he does it will no doubt be well deserved!

But that said, as an Oiler fan there is not a single player in the running for the Calder than I would even consider trading Hall for.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
Is he the real deal?

Yes, he is. He's been a standout for a long time. Lit up Jr.B at 14, was considered one of the best prospects in the OHL draft and could very well have gone first overall. Injuries and a lack of any real talented linemates in Ottawa prevented him from having a great career for the 67s, but he still put up some solid numbers.

mathew93

Dec 21, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't understand how a player is deemed a rookie. Couture is in his 2nd year of his entry level deal and considered a rookie, while Alex Pietrangelo is in his 1st year and not. Huh?

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
I don't understand how a player is deemed a rookie. Couture is in his 2nd year of his entry level deal and considered a rookie, while Alex Pietrangelo is in his 1st year and not. Huh?

No, Alex is not in his first year of his entry level contract. Considering he has played NHL games in 2008-09 season and 2009-10 season before this that would be interesting if he was.

edit: And the reason Alex is not a rookie is because he had played more than 5 games in 2008-09 season and more then 5 games in 2009-10 season.

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
For some reason I always thought Couture was American... guess I was wrong.

Now to the point of this thread. Yes, Couture would be my favourite right now for the Calder.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
No, Alex is not in his first year of his entry level contract. Considering he has played NHL games in 2008-09 season and 2009-10 season before this that would be interesting if he was.

edit: And the reason Alex is not a rookie is because he had played more than 5 games in 2008-09 season and more then 5 games in 2009-10 season.

Yes, he still is in his first ELC year. He hasn't played at least 10 games in a previous season, instead being sent down to juniors each time before that time. ELC kicks in once you have played 10 NA pro games.

mathew93

Dec 21, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Yes, he still is in his first ELC year. He hasn't played at least 10 games in a previous season, instead being sent down to juniors each time before that time. ELC kicks in once you have played 10 NA pro games.

Looking at Bob McKenzie's Twitter again, I see this:
Takes 10 GP in season to burn contract yr. So Petro still in 1st yr of deal. Couture plays 25 last yr. Burned a yr. 25 or less still rookie

and

On Couture-Petro, don't have NHL Guide in front of me but Petro lost rookie status playing more than x games (6?) in each of 2 seasons.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Technically he is in his 3rd year - he played under that SPC the past two seasons (and was paid his per day NHL Salary and any Signing Bonuses due). It's just that an ELS SPC is extended by a year if an 18 yo or 19 yo plays less than 10 NHL games.

Terms like "ELC kicks in" or "burns a year" after 10 games get the major point across - when the ELS SPC expires and the player becomes an RFA - but are not completely accurate.

On Couture-Petro, don't have NHL Guide in front of me but Petro lost rookie status playing more than x games (6?) in each of 2 seasons.

Yup.

The Calder eligibility requirements are:
- played no more than 25 NHL games last season
- played no more than 6 NHL games in any two previous seasons
- not older than 26 yo (as of 9/15) - the Sergei Makarov rule

Last edited:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Couture is a year older though. Even if he spend all of last season in the AHL, he would be in the 2nd year of his ELC.

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This happens to just about every sharks prospect. They start out really strong and then usually come back down to earth or sometimes fade away completely. Pavelski is really the only exception. Milan Michalek, Steve Bernier, Matt Carle were all thought to be way more valuable then him. Could Seto be going that route too? What about Vlasic etc.

Couture is on fire right now, but I refuse to declare him "the real deal." I have a hard time ever seeing him put up 80-100 points like our "first line" has in the past.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Yes, he is. He's been a standout for a long time. Lit up Jr.B at 14, was considered one of the best prospects in the OHL draft and could very well have gone first overall. Injuries and a lack of any real talented linemates in Ottawa prevented him from having a great career for the 67s, but he still put up some solid numbers.

In Ottawa he had some good line-mate's. Jamie McGinn and Couture were very good together. Just because he didn't put up the offensive numbers in the OHL most thought he would doesn't mean he didnt have a great career for the 67s. He's one of the best all round players to come through the system in a long time and most everyone saw he was going to be able to take the next step, his game is better suited for the pro's then Junior hockey.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I am a bit of a Oilers homer here but after watching the Oil Sharks game last night.....I have a few comments;

Couture is scoring a lot of goals but I did not really notice him all that much aside from his goal which was a hell of a set up by Clowe! I think Couture benefits greatly playing behind the "big 3" as no teams will try to key in on him as they are all focused on the other star players for the sharks. He is on a streak where all the pucks are going in but I just did not see a "star" in the making......

As for Hall and Eberle - they seem to have the ability to take the game over at certain points. Inconsistent at times, but they still have moments where you sit back and go my god these kids are good.

Also, they are on first line and teams are more focused on shutting them down on a nightly basis making it harder to get points. People might say that Hall and Eberle get more ice than Logan but they are almost identical.

The 40 game head start thing is what it is.......but from the games I have seen of Logan and the games I have seen from Hall and Eberle I would give the nod to Hall!

He is in his first year of pro hockey and playing on the first line and doing a fine job! I just hope he can close the points gap to strengthen his case......

Hanzee Dent

Nov 22, 2010
Bobrovsky's come back to earth a bit in the last month and unless he reverts back to his October/November form, I can't see how he can be in the mix. Like its been said, goalies have to really shine in order to get consideration. And with Couture/Skinner/Hall/Etc. putting up big time offensive numbers, it'll still be tough.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Bobrovsky's come back to earth a bit in the last month and unless he reverts back to his October/November form, I can't see how he can be in the mix. Like its been said, goalies have to really shine in order to get consideration. And with Couture/Skinner/Hall/Etc. putting up big time offensive numbers, it'll still be tough.

Same with defenseman usually. Tyler Myers needed to play Norris hockey to win. With this crop of forwards it is gonna be impossible to win if you're not named shattenkirk.

AbsolonMoreau*

Couture is scoring a lot of goals but I did not really notice him all that much aside from his goal which was a hell of a set up by Clowe! I think Couture benefits greatly playing behind the "big 3" as no teams will try to key in on him as they are all focused on the other star players for the sharks. He is on a streak where all the pucks are going in but I just did not see a "star" in the making......

You didn't notice him on the PK? Also, he had a skate issue and was out for a large amount of time which is why you probably didn't notice him. Couture knows where to be, he has been like this all year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Couture is certainly a solid player. I want to see more before I declare him the Messiah.

What I actually wanted to say was that Couture DOES benefit from not having to see the opponent's top D-pair as much, because they have to deal with Marleau-Thornton-Heatley. Hall and Eberle, for example, are their team's first line and do play against the other team's top D.

If the opponent D decides to pay more attention to Couture, expect his numbers to go down, but Marleau, Thornton, and Heatley's to go up.

AbsolonMoreau*

Couture is certainly a solid player. I want to see more before I declare him the Messiah.

What I actually wanted to say was that Couture DOES benefit from not having to see the opponent's top D-pair as much, because they have to deal with Marleau-Thornton-Heatley. Hall and Eberle, for example, are their team's first line and do play against the other team's top D.

If the opponent D decides to pay more attention to Couture, expect his numbers to go down, but Marleau, Thornton, and Heatley's to go up.

Isn't the Couture/Clowe line the Sharks "1st" line now? At least I heard T-Mac say that.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city

Ah yes, the Thornton Effect: Players are better when they are on a line with Thornton. Players are also better when they're not on a line with Thornton.

taiyed7210

Sep 3, 2007
He is shooting the puck often and putting it in the back of the net. He will slow but he surely is a 30 goal scorer already.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Ah yes, the Thornton Effect: Players are better when they are on a line with Thornton. Players are also better when they're not on a line with Thornton.

If you're on the same team as him then yes.

You can't tell me facing easier opposition doesn't make it easier to get points, or that playing with the best playmaker in the league doesn't help you score more goals.

Playing on a good team with lots of depth is great for a rookie, and really helps them produce and slowly ease their way into the nhl without all the attention being on them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from couture, but being on a good team is bound to help a rookie produce better by either playing with good players, or not being the main focus of attention.

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
I'm not trying to take anything away from couture, but being on a good team is bound to help a rookie produce better by either playing with good players, or not being the main focus of attention.

Every time I read the words "I'm not trying to take anything away from (Player)", I cringe...because the next words is inevitably "but", followed by a statement that takes credit away from that player.

Case in point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2