Couture for Calder?

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
These excuses of why Couture is doing so well are getting really old.

Just so everyone knows, Coutures line has been matched up against top pairs for a good while now. And guess what... thats when he started getting really hot.

Being on the 1st line is always going to boost your stats.

How can the best defensive, and best offensive forward not be the best? Just because Hall is more flashy, it doesnt mean he is more effective.

If Hall ends up outscoring Couture by the end of the season he is going to have to do it by a fairly high amount if he wants to win the Calder. Couture's two-way game will give him a huge advantage.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Every time I read the words "I'm not trying to take anything away from (Player)", I cringe...because the next words is inevitably "but", followed by a statement that takes credit away from that player.

Case in point.

Well thats what i meant... i think couture is an amazing player and having a phenominal rookie season, and if it were to end today he deserves the calder.

BUT being on a good team is no doubt an easier place to produce as a rookie.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
These excuses of why Couture is doing so well are getting really old.

Just so everyone knows, Coutures line has been matched up against top pairs for a good while now. And guess what... thats when he started getting really hot.

Being on the 1st line is always going to boost your stats.

How can the best defensive, and best offensive forward not be the best? Just because Hall is more flashy, it doesnt mean he is more effective.

If Hall ends up outscoring Couture by the end of the season he is going to have to do it by a fairly high amount if he wants to win the Calder. Couture's two-way game will give him a huge advantage.

They aren't excuses.. they are just factors that are undoubtedly helping him along.

Seriously, nobody is saying couture isn't a great player, they are just saying that being on the sharks no undoubtedly helps his stats along, which is 100% true.

He's been put into a position to succeed and he is doing just that. The kid is a player.

And you're point about hall having to ourscore couture by alot i don't think is true. While 2 way game may play a part, so do age and experience whether they admit it or not.

Its going to be tight down to the last game this year in the race for calder, and its damn exciting imo.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If you're on the same team as him then yes.

You can't tell me facing easier opposition doesn't make it easier to get points, or that playing with the best playmaker in the league doesn't help you score more goals.

Playing on a good team with lots of depth is great for a rookie, and really helps them produce and slowly ease their way into the nhl without all the attention being on them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from couture, but being on a good team is bound to help a rookie produce better by either playing with good players, or not being the main focus of attention.

He does not play with Thornton, at all. Not even on the PP generally. He has a grand total of 1 assist from Thornton last I checked.

Your other point is valid, he is playing on the second line, but that also diminishes his minutes compared to a guy like Hall. Those things even out a bit.

AbsolonMoreau*

You can't tell me facing easier opposition doesn't make it easier to get points, or that playing with the best playmaker in the league doesn't help you score more goals.

He doesn't play with Thornton...:shakehead

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
He does not play with Thornton, at all. Not even on the PP generally. He has a grand total of 1 assist from Thornton last I checked.

Your other point is valid, he is playing on the second line, but that also diminishes his minutes compared to a guy like Hall. Those things even out a bit.

I was referring to the previous poster who said that "Ah yes, the Thornton Effect: Players are better when they are on a line with Thornton. Players are also better when they're not on a line with Thornton."

Hence why i quoted him...

I wasn't specifically talking about couture, but what i was saying is what he said is true.
Whether a player be playing with him on the same line, or having Thornton take away some attention from the rookie, then he is benefiting from playing with or in this case without him.

AbsolonMoreau*

The only thing we have going for us is our young guns. When someone else claims one is better than the others, we will get defensive, just like any fan claiming one player is better than their own.

Especially when its this close.

So far only Oiler fans have said it is "that" close, everyone else including non-Shark fans have stated Couture is the clear favorite right now and is running away with the Calder...possibly a Selke depending how long Datsyuk is out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Couture continues to play well he has my vote.

That said, I do think it is a tad unfair to the other kids because it's not just that he's played 20+ games before this season, but that he also had a full summer under his belt knowing the NHL game and being able to incorporate that into his off-season training. To me that's huge to be able to get a real taste of playing with the big boys and then spend a full off-season knowing what to prepare for (mentally and physically).

With Hall and Skinner, they're 2-3 years younger with all this being thrown at them.

But those are the rules. All these kids are going to be terrific players though, this honestly might be the best rookie crop in a long time just for sheer number of good players.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
So far only Oiler fans have said it is "that" close, everyone else including non-Shark fans have stated Couture is the clear favorite right now and is running away with the Calder...possibly a Selke depending how long Datsyuk is out.

As much as I'd love Juicy to win the Calder and the Selke, if Datsyuk is out Ryan Kesler is gonna get that trophy for the glory of america.

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
Anyone who knows Couture's history shouldn't be surprised by his emergence. Couture at one point was considered the top prospect going into the 2007 draft. He's always had the talent, he isn't comparable to Seto, Michalek, Bernier, Carle and especially Vlasic who was off the radar. He was always more talented than them.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Anyone who knows Couture's history shouldn't be surprised by his emergence. Couture at one point was considered the top prospect going into the 2007 draft. He's always had the talent, he isn't comparable to Seto, Michalek, Bernier, Carle and especially Vlasic who was off the radar. He was always more talented than them.

Exactly. If Tavares isn't given special treatment into the OHL at 14, Couture was going 1st overall to the Oshawa Generals. The only reason he lasted to the 67s is because he threatened going the U.S College route. Kilrea took a chance, and convinced him and his family that the 67s were the right place for him to develop. And it was. Kilrea did wonders with Couture and now he's reaping the rewards.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

This is the part that impresses me every single night.

Couture and Clowe are one of the best fore-checking/take-away duo in the league. Hardest workers on the sharks.

One of Couture's long time teammates was quoted as saying Couture takes about a year to adjust to each new league he plays in, and then takes off once he figures things out. His intelligence and ability to translate learning and development in practice into rapid growth and progression in games is truly what separates him from other rookies.

Now, I was at the game on Tuesday and to be honest I thought Hall looked like one of the best players on the ice. You noticed him every single time he was out there. He easily could have had a few points, but he seemed to be missing the one extra skilled player alongside him. His speed was pretty incredible. Dan Boyle had a tough time with him, but was able to frustrate the youngster periodically by blocking lanes effectively.

Where Hall is quick and flashy Couture is methodical and calculated. Couture takes exceptional angles to the puck and forces turnovers in opportune situations. However, he is able to perform so well because of his linemates. Couture's take-away was brilliant, but it was Clowe's patience and exceptional pass that allowed Couture to finish the play off so nicely. (SJ 1st goal on Tues)

I honestly think Hall will be the better player, but Couture will win the Calder if he keeps this up. If Taylor Hall had more talent around him it would be a different story.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city

Playing on a good team with lots of depth is great for a rookie, and really helps them produce and slowly ease their way into the nhl without all the attention being on them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from couture, but being on a good team is bound to help a rookie produce better by either playing with good players, or not being the main focus of attention.

I just get a little tired of reading things like "Setoguchi only scored 30 goals cos he played with Thornton" or "Cheechoo only scored 56 goals cos he played with Thornton," and then, when it comes to Couture it's the opposite. At some point, people will need to admit that sometimes, good players play well regardless of who is or isn't on his line.

Of course playing against "easier opposition" makes it easier to get points, but even if that did apply to this situation, you also would have to consider that his linemates aren't the top offensive threats on his team. Theoretically, and a bit over-simplistically, the 2nd-best defensemen go up against the 2nd-best forwards.

Couture is going out there against anyone in all situations. He is producing regardless of opposition and regardless of linemates. Yes, being on a good team can ease some of the burden for a rookie, but Couture isn't merely benefiting off of others' hard work; rather, he's out there creating plays, going to the net, and making smart decisions. He's not being coddled, nor is he just floating around adjusting to the league. He's earned his position on the 2nd line after starting out in the bottom 6 and has developed some great chemistry with Clowe. This has nothing to do with the "big 3."

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
There were a lot of comparisons between Couture and Stamkos before they were drafted.

It looks like the comparisons will continue into their NHL careers.

It's also ironic that Couture's breakout season is on the heels of Thornton resigning, just like Stamkos broke out after Lecavalier resigned.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

He's running away with the mid-season Calder alright.

Couture's probably the favorite to win, but to claim he's "running away" with it says he's far and away the best rookie out there. And he's not. A hot streak by the rookies 2-3 points behind him or a cold streak by Couture, and it's a completely different story.

And given that rookies tend to go on these hot/cold streaks, and there's still 3 months left in the season, don't you think it's a little early to be claiming he'll win the Calder outright?

Heck, if Shattenkirk keeps his pace up, it doesn't matter what Couture does. 70 points from a rookie defenseman is ridiculous.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
A month ago Skinner was "running away with it" and it was his to lose, he goes somewhat cold and now its Couture's and he is running away with it and it is his to lose. Rookies are streaky who would have thought. Also I really don't see how Couture is miles ahead of Shattenkirk; 19 pts in 23 games as a d-man is pretty damn impressive and he is no slouch defensively for a rookie dman; or miles ahead of Bobrovsky 15W in 24 games and a .919 save % as a rookie goalie. Couture is playing extremely well but he wouldn't be the clear cut winner at this point; which in itself says a lot about how strong the rookie class is this year.

Side note: No chance that Couture wins the selke (if Datsyuk is injured for a large amount of time) this year it just takes a few years to get acknowledge league wide to win imo.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
This is the part that impresses me every single night.

Couture and Clowe are one of the best fore-checking/take-away duo in the league. Hardest workers on the sharks.

One of Couture's long time teammates was quoted as saying Couture takes about a year to adjust to each new league he plays in, and then takes off once he figures things out. His intelligence and ability to translate learning and development in practice into rapid growth and progression in games is truly what separates him from other rookies.

Now, I was at the game on Tuesday and to be honest I thought Hall looked like one of the best players on the ice. You noticed him every single time he was out there. He easily could have had a few points, but he seemed to be missing the one extra skilled player alongside him. His speed was pretty incredible. Dan Boyle had a tough time with him, but was able to frustrate the youngster periodically by blocking lanes effectively.

Where Hall is quick and flashy Couture is methodical and calculated. Couture takes exceptional angles to the puck and forces turnovers in opportune situations. However, he is able to perform so well because of his linemates. Couture's take-away was brilliant, but it was Clowe's patience and exceptional pass that allowed Couture to finish the play off so nicely. (SJ 1st goal on Tues)

I honestly think Hall will be the better player, but Couture will win the Calder if he keeps this up. If Taylor Hall had more talent around him it would be a different story.

QFT.

AbsolonMoreau*

As much as I'd love Juicy to win the Calder and the Selke, if Datsyuk is out Ryan Kesler is gonna get that trophy for the glory of america.

Let's see, maybe next year or the year after he can take the Selke :)

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
They aren't excuses.. they are just factors that are undoubtedly helping him along.

Seriously, nobody is saying couture isn't a great player, they are just saying that being on the sharks no undoubtedly helps his stats along, which is 100% true.

He's been put into a position to succeed and he is doing just that. The kid is a player.

And you're point about hall having to ourscore couture by alot i don't think is true. While 2 way game may play a part, so do age and experience whether they admit it or not.

Its going to be tight down to the last game this year in the race for calder, and its damn exciting imo.

Age/experience plays no part in the calder voting. The calder goes to the best rookie.

The defensive aspect of his game will make it extremely hard for Hall to win.

And for the last time.... Couture started on the 3rd line and stayed there for the 1st 10 games. That line was Mcginn-Couture-Mitchell. Hall was put with Eberle and Gagner i believe. Do you seriously think Coutures chances of winning were better than Hall's at the beginning of the season? If Couture played his 1st 34 games with Eberle and Gagner I would expect him to have around the same point totals, if not more.

Before this year Couture was a "dark horse" to win. This was because he was slotted to play on the 3rd line. He was not put in a good situation. He put himself in one.

Look at his current linemates. Clowe and Fierrero. Clowe somehow is on pace for almost 80 points. His high is 57 points. Fierrero is on pace for 35 points. Give Couture some credit. He is making his linemates better. His linemates are not responsible for his numbers because he is the catalist of the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad