Couture for Calder?

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
17g and 24p in his 33 games this year. He has a huge chance to win the Calder.

But how is he considered a rookie still. I believe if he would have played 1 more REGULAR season game he would not be elligible for the Calder. He played 25 games in the regular season. He also played 15 playoff games, how does that not count towards his games played. He's a fine young player but even though on paper he's a rook, I dont consider him a rookie.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Kind of agree with you here... but those are the rules and what can you do really...

Like Ken Dryden, winning the Conn Smythe trophy before he won the calder hehe

chris39bong

I both agree and disagree with the complaints that Couture has already played 25 regular season games. Does that give him an edge over some of the other rookies that came strait out of juniors or college? Yeah, it gives him a slight edge. But the same goes for those "rookies" that have been able to spend one, two, or three plus years in the AHL and still qualify for Calder nomination. Those guys that got years of pro experience in the AHL had probably an even greater advantage than Couture.

The fact of the matter is that he has only played one year in the pro's before this season. And most of his time in the NHL last season, he spent toiling on the 3rd/4th line. It was only toward the end of the season that he actually started to get a sniff at quality ice time and line mates. And that's not even taking into the fact that he's missed significant time over the past 3-4 years due to multiple concussions and mono, which no doubt hurt his development just as much, if not more, than having played one year of pro hockey prior to this season.

I still doubt that Couture will keep up this scoring pace. On the other hand, he's a much better all around player than most of the other top scoring rookies in this years class, yet that won't help him nearly as much as leading the league in goals or points. I just hope that he and the other top rookies continue to play well. It's good for the game of hockey in general.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
It's a strange rule and I agree that they should count playoff games. If you had to put a value on things I'd argue that playoff games have double the value of regular season games.

...but what can you do. He's a young player and he's lighting it up.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
40 games played in the NHL is an impressive amount to enter your rookie season with, no doubt. He was also given the luxury of developing in the AHL prior to coming up unlike most of his competition. I still think age is a big factor for Calder voters, and stats like this one will draw some attention.

With that said, I think Skinner, Hall, and Couture are going to go down to the wire with this race. I think everybody finishes north of 60 points.

Parise09*

It's a looong season. 10ish games ago, everyone thought Skinner was running away with it, and Couture was nowhere to be found. Rookies get hot and cold (You're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out...lulz..couldn't resist)

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
It's a looong season. 10ish games ago, everyone thought Skinner was running away with it, and Couture was nowhere to be found. Rookies get hot and cold (You're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out...lulz..couldn't resist)

Not really.

Couture has been in it since the beginning. It's only that people started noticing 10 games ago.

AlvintheChoster

Nov 23, 2010
VanCity
40 games played in the NHL is an impressive amount to enter your rookie season with, no doubt. He was also given the luxury of developing in the AHL prior to coming up unlike most of his competition. I still think age is a big factor for Calder voters, and stats like this one will draw some attention.

With that said, I think Skinner, Hall, and Couture are going to go down to the wire with this race. I think everybody finishes north of 60 points.

Bobrovsky?

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Perhaps so,only time will reveal as it permits to what it has in store for Couture. Perhaps a Calder?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Shattenkirk, Lindback, Skinner, Bobrovsky, Hall are all in the running.

Shattenkirk has 5 less points in 10 less games as a defenseman
Lindback given more games played will have some say
Skinner has slowed down a bit but still right there
Bob has been stellar in philly
Hall is heating up

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
my idea of a calder winner:

forward: must score at least 50+pts while looking like you have the potential to score 70+pts in the future.(skinner,hall,eberle, couture,etc)

defenseman: must score at least 40pts and/or look like a #1/#2 dman.(carlson,shattenkirk,fowler,etc)

goalie: must play at least 45 games and have at least a save percentage of 915%.(bobrovsky, maybe lindback)

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Theres only one right answer right now. It's Coutures to lose.

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
17g and 24p in his 33 games this year. He has a huge chance to win the Calder.

But how is he considered a rookie still. I believe if he would have played 1 more REGULAR season game he would not be elligible for the Calder. He played 25 games in the regular season. He also played 15 playoff games, how does that not count towards his games played. He's a fine young player but even though on paper he's a rook, I dont consider him a rookie.

Since when did post season stats matter for anything? If post season goals don't count for the rocket richard why should games in the post season count for number of games a rookie has played?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

You guys are forgetting Sergei Bobrovsky.

I don't know. His stats are worse than his backups. He's been great for them but Couture is leading a team with names like Heatley Marleau Thornton Pavelski etc in goals.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
He's been great for them but Couture is leading a team with names like Heatley Marleau Thornton Pavelski etc in goals.

This tends to happen in San Jose, though.

Jonathan Cheechoo- 56 goals, Richard Trophy. There is a cash reward if you know his whereabouts today.

Devin Setoguchi- 31 after looking like a bust in his first taste of NHL action. 20 goals the season after and has only 5 this year.

Is he deserving of the Calder? Sure, but we'll see if he can keep it up. Consistency is a tough thing to find in San Jose for some reason.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

This tends to happen in San Jose, though.

Jonathan Cheechoo- 56 goals, Richard Trophy. There is a cash reward if you know his whereabouts today.

Devin Setoguchi- 31 after looking like a bust in his first taste of NHL action. 20 goals the season after and has only 5 this year.

Is he deserving of the Calder? Sure, but we'll see if he can keep it up. Consistency is a tough thing to find in San Jose for some reason.
True but those guys played with Thornton. Couture will literally never see the ice when Thornton is on.

HemskyToHall*

True but those guys played with Thornton. Couture will literally never see the ice when Thornton is on.

This is correct, DH lists him with most of his ice time with Ferriero and Clowe, pretty impressive numbers considering his linemates. (Clowe was a glorified 2nd line grinder before this season and Ferriero was/is a no body)

And these aren't fluke goals, he's getting to the net and finding himself open. But I think he is on a hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad