Couture for Calder?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by ItsTheBGB, Dec 21, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. ItsTheBGB

ItsTheBGB Borusse!!

17g and 24p in his 33 games this year. He has a huge chance to win the Calder.

But how is he considered a rookie still. I believe if he would have played 1 more REGULAR season game he would not be elligible for the Calder. He played 25 games in the regular season. He also played 15 playoff games, how does that not count towards his games played. He's a fine young player but even though on paper he's a rook, I dont consider him a rookie.

2. vippe

vippe Registered User

Kind of agree with you here... but those are the rules and what can you do really...

Like Ken Dryden, winning the Conn Smythe trophy before he won the calder hehe

3. MeowLeafs

MeowLeafs LM is awesome

Bacon eater
    I consider him a rookie. 25 games isn't a lot.
    Just curious, are you rooting for Eberle/Hall to win it?

4. chris39bong

chris39bong Registered User

Finance
    Home Page:
    I both agree and disagree with the complaints that Couture has already played 25 regular season games. Does that give him an edge over some of the other rookies that came strait out of juniors or college? Yeah, it gives him a slight edge. But the same goes for those "rookies" that have been able to spend one, two, or three plus years in the AHL and still qualify for Calder nomination. Those guys that got years of pro experience in the AHL had probably an even greater advantage than Couture.

The fact of the matter is that he has only played one year in the pro's before this season. And most of his time in the NHL last season, he spent toiling on the 3rd/4th line. It was only toward the end of the season that he actually started to get a sniff at quality ice time and line mates. And that's not even taking into the fact that he's missed significant time over the past 3-4 years due to multiple concussions and mono, which no doubt hurt his development just as much, if not more, than having played one year of pro hockey prior to this season.

I still doubt that Couture will keep up this scoring pace. On the other hand, he's a much better all around player than most of the other top scoring rookies in this years class, yet that won't help him nearly as much as leading the league in goals or points. I just hope that he and the other top rookies continue to play well. It's good for the game of hockey in general.

5. Wheatking

Wheatking Registered User

It's a strange rule and I agree that they should count playoff games. If you had to put a value on things I'd argue that playoff games have double the value of regular season games.

...but what can you do. He's a young player and he's lighting it up.

6. It is what it is, it's his Calder to lose. (thus far)

7. Superpest

Superpest Undrafted Free Agent

I thought Kyle Calder was no longer in NHL? Sharks lose this one real bad.

:sarcasm:

8. ItsTheBGB

ItsTheBGB Borusse!!

I'm not taking anything away from Couture's play, I just think the rule is flawed.

And yes I want Hall or Eberle to win :D

9. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    40 games played in the NHL is an impressive amount to enter your rookie season with, no doubt. He was also given the luxury of developing in the AHL prior to coming up unlike most of his competition. I still think age is a big factor for Calder voters, and stats like this one will draw some attention.

With that said, I think Skinner, Hall, and Couture are going to go down to the wire with this race. I think everybody finishes north of 60 points.

10. Parise09*

Parise09* Guest

It's a looong season. 10ish games ago, everyone thought Skinner was running away with it, and Couture was nowhere to be found. Rookies get hot and cold (You're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out...lulz..couldn't resist)

11. SoCalSharkzFan

SoCalSharkzFan Registered User

Your Master
    Not really.

Couture has been in it since the beginning. It's only that people started noticing 10 games ago.

12. AlvintheChoster

AlvintheChoster Registered User

Bobrovsky?

13. Daryl

Daryl Registered User

Perhaps so,only time will reveal as it permits to what it has in store for Couture. Perhaps a Calder?

14. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    I just don't see him holding on as Boucher and Leighton are back and ready to go. I don't know if he'll get enough starts to really sway opinion. Goaltenders really have to go nuts to win the Calder.

15. Schennanigans

Schennanigans Registered User

My vote would still be with Skinner.

16. shaner89

shaner89 Registered User

Student
    Shattenkirk, Lindback, Skinner, Bobrovsky, Hall are all in the running.

Shattenkirk has 5 less points in 10 less games as a defenseman
    Lindback given more games played will have some say
    Skinner has slowed down a bit but still right there
    Bob has been stellar in philly
    Hall is heating up

17. ZugNugget

ZugNugget Registered User

As an Oilers fan, Couture's impressive season has made me a bit sad.

18. SuperSaiyanBeastmode

SuperSaiyanBeastmode Registered User

my idea of a calder winner:

forward: must score at least 50+pts while looking like you have the potential to score 70+pts in the future.(skinner,hall,eberle, couture,etc)

defenseman: must score at least 40pts and/or look like a #1/#2 dman.(carlson,shattenkirk,fowler,etc)

goalie: must play at least 45 games and have at least a save percentage of 915%.(bobrovsky, maybe lindback)

19. Theres only one right answer right now. It's Coutures to lose.

20. Kayen

Kayen SLAPPAPPYSHEV

You guys are forgetting Sergei Bobrovsky.

21. Hertl Power

Hertl Power Registered User

Since when did post season stats matter for anything? If post season goals don't count for the rocket richard why should games in the post season count for number of games a rookie has played?

22. I don't know. His stats are worse than his backups. He's been great for them but Couture is leading a team with names like Heatley Marleau Thornton Pavelski etc in goals.

23. hfboardsuser

hfboardsuser Registered User

This tends to happen in San Jose, though.

Jonathan Cheechoo- 56 goals, Richard Trophy. There is a cash reward if you know his whereabouts today.

Devin Setoguchi- 31 after looking like a bust in his first taste of NHL action. 20 goals the season after and has only 5 this year.

Is he deserving of the Calder? Sure, but we'll see if he can keep it up. Consistency is a tough thing to find in San Jose for some reason.

24. True but those guys played with Thornton. Couture will literally never see the ice when Thornton is on.

25. This is correct, DH lists him with most of his ice time with Ferriero and Clowe, pretty impressive numbers considering his linemates. (Clowe was a glorified 2nd line grinder before this season and Ferriero was/is a no body)

And these aren't fluke goals, he's getting to the net and finding himself open. But I think he is on a hot streak.