Country by country captains : who would be your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny #9

Mar 6, 2002
Saskatoon
Canada - Yzerman or Sakic
USA - Hull (if counts as US), Drury
Sweden - Forsberg /Naslund
Finland - Koivu
Czech - Lang
Russia - Fedorov

Beakermania*

Here's my captain list :

- Sweden : Forsberg
- USA : Chelios
- Czech Republic: Elias
- Finland : Koivu
- Russia : Zhamnov
- Canada : Lemieux (if not healthy, Sakic)
- Slovakia : Chara
- Germany : don't know the team well enough only players i know are sturm kolzig, so lets go sturm

Beakermania*

2forsbergaura1 said:
where does it say that a goalie cannot be a captain?

In the NHL rule book. Mtl actually had a goalie captain at one pt in the 30s or 40s for half a year but it is no longer allowed.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Satan is the captain for sure. I am 200% sure that he is. He has been the captain the last 3 WC's. The assistants may be Chara, Palffy or Bondra.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
12# Peter Bondra said:
Satan is the captain for sure. I am 200% sure that he is. He has been the captain the last 3 WC's. The assistants may be Chara, Palffy or Bondra.
Miroslav Satan is as much selfwritten as captain as Mats Sundin. :)

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Mario not a leader? People have short memories...yeah Yzerman battled through a bad knee, showing his grit and leadership...
Gee what has Mario done, other than hold the respect of the entire NHL, his teammates watched him play when he could tie his own skates because of his back, and play after being zapped with radiation for his cancer...
Funny, because of the three mentioned, Yzerman, Sakic and Lemieux, they are all lead by example leaders, not vocal in the dressing room...if any Mario is now the most vocal now that he's had to embrace the media spotlight as an owner...

Safir*

My "C"- list (if healthy):

Canada: Lemieux, Yzerman or Sakic
USA: Chelios or Hatcher
Russia: Fedorov
Czech Republic: Straka :dunno:
Sweden: Sundin (mabye Näslund or Alfredsson)
Finland: Koivu
Slovakia: Bondra or Satan
Germany: Benda or Sturm

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
- Sweden : Sundin
- USA : Chelios
- Czech Republic : :dunno:
- Finland : Koivu
- Russia : Fedorov
- Canada : Yzerman
- Slovakia : Satan
- Germany : Benda:)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Canada: Lemieux
USA: Weight or Leetch
Czech: Rucinsky
Slovakia: Chara
Sweden: Sundin
Germany: Hecht

i always like to pick a leader-by-example type

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
2forsbergaura1 said:
mucho respect to LEMIEUX. however, although he is the most talented player on their team, he is not the best leader. a captain needs to also be a great leader, and the best leader they have is no doubt YZERMAN.

I guess you've spent a lot of time in Team Canada's locker room, so you know exactly what you're talking about, eh? o_O

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Canada - Lemieux - gets it for who he is, half the team is deserving
USA - Modano - umm Modano is more of a leader while Leetch is more of a leadership guy
Russia - Federov (maybe Tikhonov will steal the C from Federov before the tournament for his revenge)
Czech - Reichel - internationally this guy has been a rock for the Czech's. More of a quiet leader, but he is much respected among his Czech peers.
Sweden - Sundin - his leadership is horribly undervalued by certain people who "cheer" for the Blue and White. Very few people don't respect Mats and he has been right up there as one of the best.
Finland - Koivu - does a good job in Montreal while not beating on Ribeiro
Germany - Sturm - ummm...good guy
Slovakia - Satan - based on his playoff efforts with Buffalo (as in WC's) Bondra may get the nod as this would most likley be his last event

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
RyanMac said:
I guess you've spent a lot of time in Team Canada's locker room, so you know exactly what you're talking about, eh? o_O

Are you saying that the people who haven't been in each team's locker-room cannot participate in this thread?

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
it's amazing how many people are listing Sakic/Yzerman ahead of Mario - or saying that they should be. They shouldn't. Mario is a leader among leaders - just like Gretzky was. Sakic and Yzerman easily take second seat to Mario - there's just no comparison at this point, it's not as much, perhaps, the leadership qualities, but the fact that Mario has leadership qualities on par with both of the other two, but he was the most dominant player in the early 90's, where as those other two have always been superstars in the elite league of players in the NHL - while Mario was in an entirely different league (such as Gretzky).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
thome_26 said:
it's amazing how many people are listing Sakic/Yzerman ahead of Mario - or saying that they should be. They shouldn't. Mario is a leader among leaders - just like Gretzky was. Sakic and Yzerman easily take second seat to Mario - there's just no comparison at this point, it's not as much, perhaps, the leadership qualities, but the fact that Mario has leadership qualities on par with both of the other two, but he was the most dominant player in the early 90's, where as those other two have always been superstars in the elite league of players in the NHL - while Mario was in an entirely different league (such as Gretzky).

exactly. there's been few players than transcend the sport like lemieux does. orr gretzky, a few others. but mario lemieux is simply in a league of his own. you just get the feeling he can do anything. and there's nobody i would rather have captaining the team than him

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jagr is a different player when he is playing with passion. Look at the effort playing for the pens in the late 90's or look at how he plays in international competition. He is far and away the best captain for that team. He has won the hart cups multiple scoring races world championships and the olympics he has to be the captain. Robert Lang over Jagr give me a break.

How is Mario not a good leader? What proof is there? He has played through more injury and adversity then any other player on that team. Cancer is more severe then knee surgery sorry Stevie. He has captained teams to every kindof victory ever known (other than the world championship). No one is more respected in Canadas dressing room. Mario hands down.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I don't see anybody but Chelios wearing the C for team USA, after the '98 Olympics he was the only one to come forward and take responsibilty for the Hotel room trashing,and he did a great job in Salt Lake.

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
Vyacheslav said:
Are you saying that the people who haven't been in each team's locker-room cannot participate in this thread?

Make your picks as you will.. but you can't say someone is miles ahead of someone else in leadership if you've never been a part of that locker room.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Canada: 1. Lemieux 2. Yzerman 3. Sakic
USA: 1. Leetch 2. Modano 3. Chelios
Russia: 1. Fedorov 2. Zhamnov 3. D.Markov
Czech Republic: 1. Jagr 2. Lang 3. Reichel
Sweden: 1. Sundin 2. Lidström 3. Norström
Finland: 1. Koivu 2. Numminen 3. Lehtinen
Slovakia: 1. Satan 2. Bondra 3. Zednik
Germany: 1. Benda 2. Sturm 3.Hecht

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
RyanMac said:
Make your picks as you will.. but you can't say someone is miles ahead of someone else in leadership if you've never been a part of that locker room.

But going by your logic, you can't say anyone is a better leader than anymore. If I say Jaromir Jagr has more leadership than Mario Lemieux, how do you know he doesn't if you've never been in the locker-room? Maybe Jagr is having serious talks with slumping players while Lemieux is snaping Marc Bergevin with a wet towel.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I'll make a list.

Canada:Lemieux
USA: Chelios
Czech: Jagr
Sweden: Sundin
Slovakia: Satan
Germany: Sturm

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I am suprised there is barely any mention of Jokinen captaining Finland. I know Koivu usually does, but Jokinen is an excellant captain for Florida. Not afriad to center people out when needed to be done.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
PantherboyHTR said:
I am suprised there is barely any mention of Jokinen captaining Finland. I know Koivu usually does, but Jokinen is an excellant captain for Florida. Not afriad to center people out when needed to be done.

Jokinen hasn't been mentionned because Koivu is Finland's captain. It's the same if you said that some player in Detroit has great leadership and deserves to be the captain. Cool, but Yzerman is the only possible captain in Detroit, so is Koivu with Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad