Country by country captains : who would be your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
thome_26 said:
it's amazing how many people are listing Sakic/Yzerman ahead of Mario - or saying that they should be. They shouldn't. Mario is a leader among leaders - just like Gretzky was. Sakic and Yzerman easily take second seat to Mario - there's just no comparison at this point, it's not as much, perhaps, the leadership qualities, but the fact that Mario has leadership qualities on par with both of the other two, but he was the most dominant player in the early 90's, where as those other two have always been superstars in the elite league of players in the NHL - while Mario was in an entirely different league (such as Gretzky).

Can you tell me where it says that captain = best player. Cuz i sure didnt know that was how they ultimately rule on this debate.

Lemieux is not the hands down best choice, thats stevie. Yzerman says what needs to be said and works way harder than Mario out there. Both are clutch and so is Sakic. However Sakic never says anything and things can go bad very fast in a short tourney like this. Because Sakic can't step up and communicate in that situation he can't be Cap.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
dangler19 said:
Can you tell me where it says that captain = best player. Cuz i sure didnt know that was how they ultimately rule on this debate.

Lemieux is not the hands down best choice, thats stevie. Yzerman says what needs to be said and works way harder than Mario out there. Both are clutch and so is Sakic. However Sakic never says anything and things can go bad very fast in a short tourney like this. Because Sakic can't step up and communicate in that situation he can't be Cap.

oh good god man - are you really that out to lunch?

Mario has no problems saying things for starters. But the whole point is that Mario is a leader among leaders like Gretzky was simply because of their experience and accomplishments.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
- Sweden : Sundin
- USA : Leetch
- Czech Republic : Reichel
- Finland : Koivu
- Russia : Fedorov
- Canada : Yzerman
- Slovakia : Satan
- Germany : Sturm

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
Anthony said:
wow those are all awful picks except for maybe koivu

Yzerman deserves to be the captain of Canada more than anyone else there if he plays. Nobody else has eye surgery a few months before the WC will occur.

Chara is a decent pick and same with Forsberg. The other ones are awful, though, I agree there..Kasparitis :lol

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Should be:

Canada = Yzerman
Sweden = Sundin or Lidstrom, flip a coin
Russia = Fedorov
Czech = Reichel
USA = Roenick
Finland = Koivu
Slovakia = Handzus :lol I mean Palffy
Germany = Some guy I've never heard of

Will Be:

Canada = Lemieux (Pansy, wish he wasnt on the team)
Sweden = Sundin (Cuz he has been in the past)
Russia = Fedorov
Czech = Jagr (See Lemieux. Although he should be on the team, though not the "C")
USA = Chelios, not a bad choice
Finland = Koivu, heart and soul
Slovakia = Satan , same reason as Sundin although less deserving
Germany = Some guy I've never heard of

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
thome_26 said:
oh good god man - are you really that out to lunch?

Mario has no problems saying things for starters. But the whole point is that Mario is a leader among leaders like Gretzky was simply because of their experience and accomplishments.

I was talking about Sakic having problems talking. Lemiuex talks, cuz Lemieux is arrogant.

Definitely Lemieux is the most skilled player but that doesn't mean best and certainly not best leader.

SChan*

I guess you've spent a lot of time in Team Canada's locker room, so you know exactly what you're talking about, eh? o_O

Learn how to take an opinion or begone. :teach:

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
- Sweden : Forsberg
- USA : Leetch
- Czech Republic : Hedjuk
- Finland : S. Kapanen
- Russia : Fedorov
- Canada : Realistically - Yzerman or Lemieux; Fantasy/Ideally - Iginla - it's time for a change
- Slovakia : Chara
- Germany : Sturm

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
bert said:
Jagr is a different player when he is playing with passion. Look at the effort playing for the pens in the late 90's or look at how he plays in international competition. He is far and away the best captain for that team. He has won the hart cups multiple scoring races world championships and the olympics he has to be the captain. Robert Lang over Jagr give me a break.

How is Mario not a good leader? What proof is there? He has played through more injury and adversity then any other player on that team. Cancer is more severe then knee surgery sorry Stevie. He has captained teams to every kindof victory ever known (other than the world championship). No one is more respected in Canadas dressing room. Mario hands down.

Jagr still is top 3 talentwise in the NHL even when disinterested. He still puts up PPG numbers. It would be scary if either the Rangers get it together or his next team gets it together and he has a reason to go full tilt.

gmdevils

My God!

For everyone who is picking Yzerman or Sakic for the captain for Team Canada, let me refresh your memory a little bit. Do you guys remeber who was the captain for the team that won Canada's first olympic gold medal in Ice Hockey for 50 years at Salt Lake City? Ya, Mario Lemieux. Who else was on that team? Sakic and Yzerman.

Why, WHY, would they change now? Makes no sense.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Canada: Mario Lemieux
USA: Brian Leetch/Jeremy Roenick
Russia: Sergei Fedorov
Czech Republic: Patrik Elias
Sweden: Nicklas Lidstrom
Finland: Saku Koivu
Slovakia: Petr Bondra
Germany: Marco Sturm

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
gmdevils said:
My God!

For everyone who is picking Yzerman or Sakic for the captain for Team Canada, let me refresh your memory a little bit. Do you guys remeber who was the captain for the team that won Canada's first olympic gold medal in Ice Hockey for 50 years at Salt Lake City? Ya, Mario Lemieux. Who else was on that team? Sakic and Yzerman.

amen to that. I think lemieux is a great captain, and when healthy, still one of the top forwards in the game. i think he'll have a much bigger impact than a lot of people suspect at the world cup.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
gmdevils said:
My God!

Ok, I picked Yzerman because he's showing great heart still playing with the eye surgery...and I remembered that Lemieux was Captain then, but that was two years ago. Lemieux, however, is easily a top-5 player in the league when healthy. I just think that Yzerman is a bit more of a leader-by-heart type.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
kovalchuk17atl said:
Ok, I picked Yzerman because he's showing great heart still playing with the eye surgery...and I remembered that Lemieux was Captain then, but that was two years ago. Lemieux, however, is easily a top-5 player in the league when healthy. I just think that Yzerman is a bit more of a leader-by-heart type.

Lemieux is the best player in the world even at 50%. Nobody can match him.

Canada: Lemieux
Russia: Fedorov
Sweden: Forsberg
Finland: Koivu
USA: Roenick
Czech: Jagr
Slovakia: Palffy

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada: Mario Lemieux
USA: Brian Leetch
Russia: Sergei Fedorov
Czech Republic: Jaromir Jagr
Sweden: Mats Sundin
Finland: Saku Koivu
Slovakia: Petr Bondra
Germany: Marco Sturm

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Markov said:
Yeah I know I'm crazy, but I would like to see Alexei Zhamnov wear the "C" for Russia.
You aren't crazy at all. I don't understand why everyone thinks Fedorov should wear the C. It's not that he doesn't have leadership qualities - he is just too... Hollywood. People like Markov, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Nabokov (the younger Russians) wouldn't be able to relate to him. Zhamnov fits the bill a lot better - calm, efficient, experienced and well respected by all.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Canada- Mario Lemieux
Czech Republic- Jaromir Jagr :dunno:
Finland- Saku Koivu
Germany- Stefan Ustorf
Russia- Sergei Fedorov
Slovakia- Miroslav Satan
Sweden- Mats Sundin
U.S.A.- Mike Modano

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd take Elias over Jagr as a captain. Jagr might feel a little dissed but he's not exactly a general leading his troops. IMO Elias may not be the best player on the roster, but he'd be a decent captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad