Could Vegas be the beneficiary of favorable officiating?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Vegas has been chippier lately, maybe due to a little fatigue, but that doesn't lend to some style of play that Vegas usually employs. Outside of Carrier, McNabb, and SOMETIMES Neal and Engelland (yes I know Neal slashed Hellebyuck, but that's not indicative of his body of work throughout the year) the team really doesn't play overly physical hockey.

Yes it's strange that only one penalty got called but this thread was born out of outrage in a San Jose game where Sharks fans felt the game was called unfairly (for the most part it was) and alluded to the idea that Vegas have been beneficiaries of ref favoritism all year long (one even going so far as to say that the ONLY reason Vegas is atop the West is because of the refs). This game is not compelling evidence to that notion. If the theory were true, and there was some grand conspiracy to help Vegas through officiating, we would've seen Vegas get 2-3 penalties after Philadelphia took the lead at least.

Neal isn't a very physical player but he is world renowned for his flying elbows to opposing players, often causing long lasting brain damage.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I guess now that Detroit isn't any good Vegas will be the team people accuse of for "subtle interference."

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Most obvious was when Bieksa was tripped. There were so many picks that went uncalled, too.

We're now in the closing stretch of the regular season, where games matter. This is exactly when the refs decide to throw out the rule book so everyone can enjoy some classic dead puck era clutch, grab, hook, interfere hockey.

The playoffs will be even worse. No rules. Trips, slashes, hooks, interference, etc. will no longer be penalized. DPE on steroids.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Has nothing to do with last year playoffs has to do with many regular season games over last few seasons against the Kings Ducks Sharks and even the Coyotes where the refs turned their heads on blatant calls then 20 seconds later raise their hand on a cheesy soft call against us . We figured it out though need to keep those teams in the race to keep attendance up and profits rolling in . Vegas paid a half a billion for a franchise wink wink Refs get their new fans excited about their team don't make them suffer .

Your team f***ing sucks and they get bad calls because your GM is a dinosaur who signed a bunch of undisciplined morons in order to "increase team toughness". Hard to get a lot of calls going your way when you have guys like Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, and Maroon on your roster, just to name a few.

Reactions: LuG61

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Your team ****ing sucks and they get bad calls because your GM is a dinosaur who signed a bunch of undisciplined morons in order to "increase team toughness". Hard to get a lot of calls going your way when you have guys like Lucic, Kassian, Nurse, and Maroon on your roster, just to name a few.
Our team did not suck last year and we got the same BS calls but you're right about the Moron Gm no argument here

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Our team did not suck last year and we got the same BS calls but you're right about the Moron Gm no argument here

You are blind to see that your players commit so many infractions because you love them for their toughness.

You go look up Kassian's flying charge on an already injured Couture in the playoffs, a play that wasn't called, and tell me that isn't a penalty, lmfao. Your team gets plenty of calls going your way too.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Has nothing to do with last year playoffs has to do with many regular season games over last few seasons against the Kings Ducks Sharks and even the Coyotes where the refs turned their heads on blatant calls then 20 seconds later raise their hand on a cheesy soft call against us . We figured it out though need to keep those teams in the race to keep attendance up and profits rolling in . Vegas paid a half a billion for a franchise wink wink Refs get their new fans excited about their team don't make them suffer .

Do you even look at stats before spewing lies? I think the Ducks stats clearly show they are by no means a favorite of any refs the last 10 years.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do you even look at stats before spewing lies? I think the Ducks stats clearly show they are by no means a favorite of any refs the last 10 years.

To be fair, stats will never be able to tell the full story. In theory, if Anaheim commits significantly more penalties than every single other team in the league, and draws significantly fewer penalties than every other team in the league, but are only 30th in penalties taken and penalties drawn, they would be receiving favorable officiating.

I'm not saying Anaheim receives favorable officiating; I don't think that's the case. But you get my point. You have to watch the teams in order to determine who is getting favorable calls. To be fair to you, I do think that guy does not look at any sort of statistics, or really any sort of fact based evidence before he posts.

Personally, I never felt like any team was getting particularly favorable officiating until I watched Vegas. They just got away with so many infractions, and got penalty calls on so many borderline, weak plays. Then I see things like the James Neal slash on Hellebuyck and I start to wonder. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but watching Vegas just feels funny. It also makes so much more sense than any other officiating conspiracy I've ever seen or heard of before.

Interesting to see more team's fans come forward and say they feel like the refs had it out for them against Vegas specifically. Kind of worrying.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
when you can two hand a goalie in the face and still have your goal allowed... it's a bit suspicious
Not calling the penalty on the play, (which would have incidentally negated the goal) could be suspicious, or perhaps the ref was not in position to see what happened. However once that call was missed the grounds did not exist to overturn the call.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Top 5 teams that get the least powerplays per game and get the most penalties per game are.

1. Oilers
2.Ducks
3.Kings
4. Minnesota
5. Nashville

Top 5 teams who get the least amount of penalties called on them while getting the most powerplays are

1. Chicago
2. Carolina
3. Tampa Bay
4.Vegas
5. CBJ.

Vegas is the second least penalized team in the NHL in terms of total penalty minutes they've racked up.

Chicago has taken much more penalities than Vegas.. But somehow leads the league in the most penalties drawn..

492 minutes of pemalties taken by Chicago.. A whopping 598 minutes of power play.

In terms of the craziest ratio of penalties to powerplay, Chicago is number one.

106 differential

2nd carolina with 86 differential

3rd. Tampa with 76 differential

4th. Vegas 50 differential.

So vegas gets away with a lot penalties
Of penalties but is 4th in differential.

Chiacago takes a lot more penalties but gets a disgusting amount of powerplays in return. 106 differential... Jesus.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Top 5 teams that get the least powerplays per game and get the most penalties per game are.

1. Oilers
2.Ducks
3.Kings
4. Minnesota
5. Nashville

Top 5 teams who get the least amount of penalties called on them while getting the most powerplays are

1. Chicago
2. Carolina
3. Tampa Bay
4.Vegas
5. CBJ.

Vegas is the second least penalized team in the NHL in terms of total penalty minutes they've racked up.

Chicago has taken much more penalities than Vegas.. But somehow leads the league in the most penalties drawn..

492 minutes of pemalties taken by Chicago.. A whopping 598 minutes of power play.

In terms of the craziest ratio of penalties to powerplay, Chicago is number one.

106 differential

2nd carolina with 86 differential

3rd. Tampa with 76 differential

4th. Vegas 50 differential.

So vegas gets away with a lot penalties
Of penalties but is 4th in differential.

Chiacago takes a lot more penalties but gets a disgusting amount of powerplays in return. 106 differential... Jesus.
My explanation would be, somebody's got to be first, and somebody's got to be last. :dunno:

Reactions: ChanceVegas

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
To be fair, stats will never be able to tell the full story. In theory, if Anaheim commits significantly more penalties than every single other team in the league, and draws significantly fewer penalties than every other team in the league, but are only 30th in penalties taken and penalties drawn, they would be receiving favorable officiating.

I'm not saying Anaheim receives favorable officiating; I don't think that's the case. But you get my point. You have to watch the teams in order to determine who is getting favorable calls. To be fair to you, I do think that guy does not look at any sort of statistics, or really any sort of fact based evidence before he posts.

Personally, I never felt like any team was getting particularly favorable officiating until I watched Vegas. They just got away with so many infractions, and got penalty calls on so many borderline, weak plays. Then I see things like the James Neal slash on Hellebuyck and I start to wonder. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but watching Vegas just feels funny. It also makes so much more sense than any other officiating conspiracy I've ever seen or heard of before.

Interesting to see more team's fans come forward and say they feel like the refs had it out for them against Vegas specifically. Kind of worrying.[/Q

I get what you're saying. The Ducks typically lead the league in penalties. You're saying the Ducks could commit a lot more penalties a game that they get away with and be on the receiving end of favorable officiating. However, they receive the least amount of power plays. There have been multiple games this season where the Ducks didn't have a single power play. Ya, teams can be more disciplined than others, but I doubt they can play 60 minutes without a single infraction

Last edited:

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Jet’s fan who is still annoyed about Neal busting his stick across Hellebuyck’s face, who thinks all this conspiracy talk is entirely juvenile. So Bettman is somehow magically pulling some grand conspiracy to favor certain teams. At the behest of who? His bosses? The owners? So certain owners have gotten to Bettman who gets to the refs, without the disadvantaged owners knowing or doing anything about it? Ya right.

Again, this is tinfoil-hat nonsense. Can’t believe that so many people seem to be actually convinced of this silliness. Grow up.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
yes they are. betman is making sure vegas sticks as a hockey market. He doesnt want to send a team there and have them build through the draft for 5 years because eventually no one will care about the knights.

Gonna be tougher to pull off in the playoffs tho when everything is nationally televised but i think they'll just call the games normally then and let the knights lose.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Jet’s fan who is still annoyed about Neal busting his stick across Hellebuyck’s face, who thinks all this conspiracy talk is entirely juvenile. So Bettman is somehow magically pulling some grand conspiracy to favor certain teams. At the behest of who? His bosses? The owners? So certain owners have gotten to Bettman who gets to the refs, without the disadvantaged owners knowing or doing anything about it? Ya right.

Again, this is tinfoil-hat nonsense. Can’t believe that so many people seem to be actually convinced of this silliness. Grow up.

This is what I don't get. All of the owners would have to be in on it too. Honestly, what is the likelihood of that? Are they really going to sacrifice their own team's success just so Vegas fans can enjoy a good season? How does that make any business sense?

And the goal is to have Vegas be great first year for the fans. Ok, now our fans expect that. What happens the next season, and the season after that, and the season after that? Now the NHL needs to give Vegas beneficial calls forever? Is that the only way Vegas is a viable hockey market?

There is absolutely no logic to this conspiracy. It's complete ridiculousness.

And now people are only focusing on missed calls that benefit Vegas and not seeing the missed calls that benefit the other team so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. There have been plenty of high sticks from opponents that have not gotten called (one last night that nailed Smith in front of the Duck's goal). There was a Duck's goal that got overturned last night on our coach's challenge for offsides. And in an 82 game season, if there was some vast conspiracy, it would've come out months ago. Not 3/4's into the season.

This is all sour grapes from some fans. Mostly Pacific division ones at that. The Pacific Ocean must be a lot saltier than the Atlantic.

Reactions: hangman005

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Last night was total bull****, Vegas didn't play a clean game and weren't carrying the pace, they got some serious home-cooked officiating. Conspiracy? Doubtful. A little bias? Probably, though I'm sure every team gets this at times, or has it perceived that way by opposing fans.

If a bigger pattern is noticeable, I would attribute it more to the type of game they play. People talk about how Vegas' success has come from the nonstop waves of pressure and how they flat out, outwork every other team on a nearly nightly basis. A team playing that way is going to draw more calls, plain and simple. Eventually, that reputation is going to become part of their identity and some bias is going to creep in with some of the officials. Then, match them up against teams that have established a reputation for being undisciplined, and it can make for a pretty lopsidedly called game.

A Sharks fan started this thread, and I've felt forever that the Sharks were that team out West. The one that was always viewed as such a disciplined team and benefited from some white glove treatment. Obviously that's from a Ducks fan perspective, so take it fwiw, but bias and reputation always play a role with the refs, whether they think so or not. Vegas is establishing their reputation, as have teams like Chicago, etc. that seem to get the benefit of the doubt a lot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Last night was total bull****, Vegas didn't play a clean game and weren't carrying the pace, they got some serious home-cooked officiating. Conspiracy? Doubtful. A little bias? Probably, though I'm sure every team gets this at times, or has it perceived that way by opposing fans.

If a bigger pattern is noticeable, I would attribute it more to the type of game they play. People talk about how Vegas' success has come from the nonstop waves of pressure and how they flat out, outwork every other team on a nearly nightly basis. A team playing that way is going to draw more calls, plain and simple. Eventually, that reputation is going to become part of their identity and some bias is going to creep in with some of the officials. Then, match them up against teams that have established a reputation for being undisciplined, and it can make for a pretty lopsidedly called game.

A Sharks fan started this thread, and I've felt forever that the Sharks were that team out West. The one that was always viewed as such a disciplined team and benefited from some white glove treatment. Obviously that's from a Ducks fan perspective, so take it fwiw, but bias and reputation always play a role with the refs, whether they think so or not. Vegas is establishing their reputation, as have teams like Chicago, etc. that seem to get the benefit of the doubt a lot.

Home cooking has been a pretty consistent reffing bias for many years now. When it goes to the road team, you can generally pass it off as the better team getting the calls that night but sometimes it's just a really bad game by the refs. It happens sometimes. The Sharks are still a very disciplined team. They have the 6th least amount of minors called and the 9th most PP opportunities. There have definitely been phantom calls in the Sharks favor this season and there has definitely been some phantom calls against them. I'm not going to claim conspiracy or bias against the Sharks. As for Vegas, they may be seeing the benefit of a lot of calls go their way for a bit but that will change eventually. That's just how these things tend to work out.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad