Could Vegas be the beneficiary of favorable officiating?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was at the game last night, and it was the worst officiating I have ever seen. Oddly, the other game in which the officiating had been downright horrible was the other game the Sharks played in Las Vegas. In both games, I felt the Sharks controlled the play very well, and deserved quite a few penalty calls they did not get. I didn't see the broadcast with commentary until I saw the video that I have attached, but I have also never heard Randy Hahn make such a blatant comment about poor officiating as I did in that game.

Here is a video of some of the missed calls last night. There are actually a few that the video maker missed. Now, I know that referees miss calls every single night, and that nobody is perfect, and I always try to say "it's not a conspiracy, the refs are just bad" but this was next level.

Of course, we all know about the high stick from James Neal. Let's take a look at it.

This is also really really bad. Before coming to a conclusion, just ask yourself this. When was the last time you saw a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not be penalized for it? When have you seen a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not even suffer from his own teammate's subsequent goal being called back? Then look at the Schmidt hit on Joel Ward. (0 minutes and 37 seconds into the first video) When was the last time you saw a player drive another player in the boards from full speed, looking at his numbers the whole time, cause a significant injury, (Ward did not return for the game) and not be penalized? Not even a 2 minute minor? Usually, if the refs initially miss it, they will call a minor after they see the player is injured. Why nothing here?

Fans of teams that have played against Vegas: have you felt, at any point, that the referees were giving your team a particularly unfair shake against the Vegas Golden Knights? Not just your usual "These refs are making some bad calls tonight" but a strong "It feels like Vegas is getting special treatment from the referees"

Reactions: Phu

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
No, the officiating has just been consistently crap. Sometimes its in your favor, sometimes its not. Just a coincidence it happened twice to the sharks against Vegas

Reactions: ChanceVegas

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Wait until they play Chicago... want to talk about poor officiating.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
It's amazing how in 99% of these cases where a team has a game rigged against them, the person putting forth the claim is a fan of said team.

I wonder if we could put together an example of a fan from all 31 teams in the league complaining about the NHL rigging the games to spite their favorite team.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I think officiating as a whole is bad. I often look at GDT threads of teams going against mine. They usually have the same amount of posts complaining about officiating

Reactions: KingTrouty

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think officiating as a whole is bad. I often look at GDT threads of teams going against mine. They usually have the same amount of posts complaining about officiating

Trying to officiate a high speed game like this is prone to human error. I think what actually happens is that fans of teams always notice the bad calls that go against them and think that the refs are out to get them when in reality the two refs on the ice are just ill equipped to accurately/fairly call a game as fast as hockey. It all evens out in the end and the better teams prevail.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I guess if you really want to go down this rabbit hole, you have to ask yourself if you believe this happens every VGK game and if so, what is the purpose of giving VGK preferential refereeing?

Seems to me the more logical answer is that refs miss calls or get calls wrong in every game, and there is no real rationality behind it. There are topics in this forum daily from fans complaining about officials and calls/non calls, but this is the first one theorizing that Vegas gets preferential treatment even though almost every team in the NHL has lost to VGK by now.

Reactions: HanSolo

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's no such thing as non-biased officiating.

At most - ref's may not like a specific player and call penalties on him more/let opposition get away with stuff on him. But it's not on a team basis.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
its one game. dont need to make a thread about this. especially to tarnish a legendary season and to make excuses as to why your team lost yesterday

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
hqdefault.jpg

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
To be totally honest, there were some clearly missed calls in favor of VGK last night. I feel the frustration there Sharks fans. Having watched every VGK game, it's not a regular occurrence, but I am a VGK fan so I realize saying that will not dissuade anyone who wants to jump to conspiracies on this. I just don't see why the NHL wants Vegas to win every game. Or why the want to ensure they always beat a certain team. I'm not prone to conspiracy thinking though.

And it has happened to VGK. Bellemare had a nasty high stick to the eye on a no call. Had a shiner for weeks. I think we have a guy still on IR after a month that was on a no call. It happens to every team.

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
No, they're just a much better team than the Sharks

Poorly called game yesterday, yes Vegas is a well coached team (Still can’t believe the Panthers fired Gallant) but to say Vegas is much better than SJ is laughable. With a healthy Thornton it’s a very close 7 game series.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This game was the most poorly officiated game I've ever seen. But from what I've seen with Vegas, they haven't been getting anything abnormal in terms of calls for them. Every team gets breaks in this regard over the course of the season and with that also comes times where you don't get them. The Sharks still should've won the game but the defense let them down.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Markstrom had a more egregious slash to the mask during a goal just a week or two ago and it counted. The explanation in the Vegas/Neal scenario is that it was a missed penalty (that you cannot call a goal back for) and that even though it was a missed penalty, the play impede the goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad