Could Vegas be the beneficiary of favorable officiating?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yes. They are at/near the top of being the least penalized team last I checked a while ago. I watch their games a lot and they get away with so much. That’s not a knock on them and I don’t hate them. But it’s hard not to notice it. Whenever I check other team threads, many ppl can’t believe what they get away with as well. They work hard and are a Great story otherwise and I’m rooting for them come playoff time.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
No doubt a number of refs have gotten into gambling trouble while down there and now they are being forced to "pay back" their losses the only way they can.

Well done Vegas, well done!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No doubt a number of refs have gotten into gambling trouble while down there and now they are being forced to "pay back" their losses the only way they can.

Well done Vegas, well done!

Toronto is clearly drugging other team's goalies which accounts for their high goal total and Lou is behind it.

Wow. I can see why people like pulling fantasy narratives out of thin air. It's quite fun.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
OP's question is rhetorical. Of course the Refs are giving them favorable treatment. The future of Vegas depends on it. Bettman doesn't want another Phoenix situation.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
OP's question is rhetorical. Of course the Refs are giving them favorable treatment. The future of Vegas depends on it. Bettman doesn't want another Phoenix situation.

I could maybe, possibly, consider that at the beginning of the season. Help them get off to a good start. But I don't see the NHL still actively trying to help a team win when they are already on top of the Western Conference in February. Plus I heard an interview with Bettman when Vegas went to on their huge run in the beginning of the season and he said he was actually a little nervous about Vegas' level of success, given the changed expansion draft. He was stating that the rest of the owners wouldn't be happy if Vegas has too much success.

And why would the NHL sacrifice the integrity of their 100 year old game to help out one brand new franchise? The NHL has had no problem moving struggling franchises in the past. I just don't see them going to these lengths to ensure success for a franchise. What makes Vegas so special that they would deserve such preferential treatment? And wouldn't the other owners ensure this wouldn't happen? Does Bettman only answer to Bill Foley now (because of the cash) and not the rest of the ownership? Doesn't such a conspiracy threaten to destroy the entire game at the expense of the success of one franchise? How does that make any business sense at all? You can disagree with Bettman's decisions in the past, but I don't think he would go this far to help a new franchise, no matter how much money they brought in.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was at the game last night, and it was the worst officiating I have ever seen. Oddly, the other game in which the officiating had been downright horrible was the other game the Sharks played in Las Vegas. In both games, I felt the Sharks controlled the play very well, and deserved quite a few penalty calls they did not get. I didn't see the broadcast with commentary until I saw the video that I have attached, but I have also never heard Randy Hahn make such a blatant comment about poor officiating as I did in that game.

Here is a video of some of the missed calls last night. There are actually a few that the video maker missed. Now, I know that referees miss calls every single night, and that nobody is perfect, and I always try to say "it's not a conspiracy, the refs are just bad" but this was next level.

Of course, we all know about the high stick from James Neal. Let's take a look at it.

This is also really really bad. Before coming to a conclusion, just ask yourself this. When was the last time you saw a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not be penalized for it? When have you seen a player slash a goaltender in the head, breaking his stick, and not even suffer from his own teammate's subsequent goal being called back? Then look at the Schmidt hit on Joel Ward. (0 minutes and 37 seconds into the first video) When was the last time you saw a player drive another player in the boards from full speed, looking at his numbers the whole time, cause a significant injury, (Ward did not return for the game) and not be penalized? Not even a 2 minute minor? Usually, if the refs initially miss it, they will call a minor after they see the player is injured. Why nothing here?

Fans of teams that have played against Vegas: have you felt, at any point, that the referees were giving your team a particularly unfair shake against the Vegas Golden Knights? Not just your usual "These refs are making some bad calls tonight" but a strong "It feels like Vegas is getting special treatment from the referees"

No.

And I'm embarrassed for you for spending all this time writing up this ridiculous post because your feelings are hurt that your team didn't get the calls you think they should have.

JurequeparJuraj

Feb 20, 2013
by the sea
Yes they do , uncle gary made sure they would come into the league NOT being losers. Watch out the next couples of seasons they will likely fall off.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yes they do , uncle gary made sure they would come into the league NOT being losers. Watch out the next couples of seasons they will likely fall off.
The Knights are leading the division by eight points fifty-something games into the season.

Predicting them to not do that in future seasons is as easy as predicting the sun will come up in the morning.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You people are crazy. I didn't think they would be good either. I was wrong. I have no problem admitting it. They are not getting favorable reffing they are just good.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Toronto is clearly drugging other team's goalies which accounts for their high goal total and Lou is behind it.

Wow. I can see why people like pulling fantasy narratives out of thin air. It's quite fun.

Lou took the drugs himself by accident and hasn't been seen for weeks.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A sunbelt fan whose team gets the calls is upset because there is a new favorite sunbelt team that will get the calls over them.

Try living in the shoes of Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton...

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
"Could Vegas be the beneficiary of favorable officiating?"

In answer to the question yes they probably could.... not only could they but they should. Any team could and should be the beneficiary of favorable officiating.

The real question should be ARE Vegas receiving favorable officiating.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Check out the Oiler/Florida game.

Pretty obvious who was supposed to win that game. They don't even try to hide it anymore.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Check out the Oiler/Florida game.

Pretty obvious who was supposed to win that game. They don't even try to hide it anymore.

The NHL is trying to help Edmonton win the lottery or at least pick high in the draft? And give Florida worse lottery odds? Why?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The NHL is trying to help Edmonton win the lottery or at least pick high in the draft? And give Florida worse lottery odds? Why?

Florida is 1 point out of a playoff spot if they win their games in hand. I'm sure that will drive some interest in the Florida market. Edmonton is out by now.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Florida is 1 point out of a playoff spot if they win their games in hand. I'm sure that will drive some interest in the Florida market. Edmonton is out by now.

If you look at point percentage, Florida has 50.9%. That's bad. It's pretty much the same as Chicago's point percentage. Only Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, and Buffalo are behind them in the East, whether you look at standings or point percentage. They'd have to pass the Islanders, Rangers, and Hurricanes/Blue Jackets. It's possible but it seems unlikely.

IMO both teams are out by now which is why I don't understand why the NHL would try to help Edmonton instead of Florida get a good draft pick if they wanted to help Florida.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If you look at point percentage, Florida has 50.9%. That's bad. It's pretty much the same as Chicago's point percentage. Only Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, and Buffalo are behind them in the East, whether you look at standings or point percentage. They'd have to pass the Islanders, Rangers, and Hurricanes/Blue Jackets. It's possible but it seems unlikely.

IMO both teams are out by now which is why I don't understand why the NHL would try to help Edmonton instead of Florida get a good draft pick if they wanted to help Florida.

They're not though. Win their three games in hand and they are 1 point out. Nice playoff race down the stretch for a nice sunny american team.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Perhaps the referees came down with the "Vegas flu" too.

Or maybe VGK is controlling play more than most teams and therefore drawing more penalties.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A sunbelt fan whose team gets the calls is upset because there is a new favorite sunbelt team that will get the calls over them.

Try living in the shoes of Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton...

The idea that the Sharks get the calls is utterly ridiculous. Your premise is more ridiculous than the OP's premise. If I tried living in the shoes of Calgary and Edmonton, I'd look at the Stanley Cup championship(s) that have been won and stop crying. None of those teams are getting worse treatment than the Sharks so get off it.

Reactions: Phu

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
In your example video, only the last 2 were missed penalties. (the high stick and the skate sweep trip from behind) Couture actually should have gotten a penalty on the clip involving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00