Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
The most frustrating thing about Cory is he was really good when we got him but we still sucked. He prevented us from sucking enough to really be a team in contention for mcdavid or Eichel or Matthews or Laine

Now it’s sad to see he doesn’t really look like an nhl goalie anymore and I’m ready to move on from him

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Didn’t he also admit to being lazy/overweight early on in his career too? Remember Schneids was a 1st round pick and within the VAN organization before Luongo even came along from FLA. He could have hustled more early on but he seems too nice of a guy without the arrogance/greed/self love of say a Marty Brodeur or a Timmy Thomas.

Or at least mentally unfit for the job. Didn’t he more or less admit to it himself?

To succeed as a goalie you need a jerk element to your personality, even if it’s only fake or friendly (Lundqvist, Luongo). You don’t need to be a self-absorbed jerk a la Tim Thomas, but you need some thick skin or at least a fake persona. Schneids is just a normal nice guy.

I don't really recall anything about Schneider being lazy/overweight early on. Beyond just the general transition of a guy going from college to the pro game maybe. He did take quite a while to find his way to the NHL, but his biggest issue early was really being a bit over-athletic and over-active in the crease. Too much reliance on that natural athleticism in college that needed to be reined in and refined. Took him quite a while to really calm that down and harness the athleticism better. Also didn't help that Luongo was brought it just after he was drafted, and it was in the prime of Luongo wanting to play practically every game...so the path to real NHL starts was a bit obstructed, and led to Schneider marinating in the minors for a bit longer than he maybe otherwise would have.

I don't know that his mentality is really unfit for the goaltending position. It seemed just fine in his prime. I don't think being a good teammate in an awkward situation made him any less capable as a netminder. In Vancouver, it was really Luongo that people started to wonder about mentally...where he had some pretty high profile meltdowns where things would spiral out of control until he was flopping around on his belly listening to Chelsea Dagger on repeat.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I previously didn't think it was possible for goalie in this decade to have worse stretch of games than Jonas 'Goals go in like a hot knife thru Swiss Cheese' Hiller.

Hiller's problems i thought was mostly mental problems, ever since that mysterious vertigo he had in 2010-11 he was never the same, listening to him in interviews he always seemed like a quirky guy, wouldn't be surprised if Hiller had anxiety issues, in many games after that season he'd melt down after 1 goal went in & then the goals would start pouring in like beer being poured into a mug.
I used to call him Jonas 5-holer. His 5-hole was SOOOOOO bad almost any time I watched him. Maybe it wasn't early on, before the vertigo, but it was BAD for much of his later career. I remember he was looking like a stud before that, which coincided with Giguere declining.

Speaking of Giguere, he's another elite goalie that fell off fast and declined a lot in just one year in his early 30's, but he was still a service to decent backup for 4 or 5 years after that. I don't think Schneider can be a serviceable anything after what I've seen this year. He's really become DiPietro levels of break down right now.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really recall anything about Schneider being lazy/overweight early on. Beyond just the general transition of a guy going from college to the pro game maybe. He did take quite a while to find his way to the NHL, but his biggest issue early was really being a bit over-athletic and over-active in the crease. Too much reliance on that natural athleticism in college that needed to be reined in and refined. Took him quite a while to really calm that down and harness the athleticism better. Also didn't help that Luongo was brought it just after he was drafted, and it was in the prime of Luongo wanting to play practically every game...so the path to real NHL starts was a bit obstructed, and led to Schneider marinating in the minors for a bit longer than he maybe otherwise would have.

I don't know that his mentality is really unfit for the goaltending position. It seemed just fine in his prime. I don't think being a good teammate in an awkward situation made him any less capable as a netminder. In Vancouver, it was really Luongo that people started to wonder about mentally...where he had some pretty high profile meltdowns where things would spiral out of control until he was flopping around on his belly listening to Chelsea Dagger on repeat.
Yeah, I don't think it's fair to hold it against Schneider for not being able to break in the league before Luongo was even acquired by the Canucks in the first place. I apologize if I misunderstood you @ehhedler and that's not what you meant.

If you have a chance to acquire Luongo in 2006 (a top-2 goaltender in the entire world at the time and the best prime age goalie in the world at that point, he only just turned 27), you don't worry about the 20 year old that you drafted 2 years ago, who is still in college anyway. You worry about that and deal with that later. None of that matters to you in 2006, if you're in the Canucks position. And they got Luongo for what I always thought was pretty cheap for what he was.

Schneider did go to college all 4 years, until he was 22 years old. He only spent two full seasons in the minors (with a call up and 8 or 9 games in 2008-2009, which was his first year as a pro) before making it to the NHL full time. It's not like it took THAT long. He spent longer in college than most players do though, but he made the NHL permanently in his third pro season.

When you look at other young guys of more recent who are now in the league full time, like Hellebuyck, Gibson, Vasilevskiy. They made to to the league faster, but none of them had Roberto Luongo as #1 on their organization's depth chart. Gibson was probably already the best goalie in his organization a year after he turned pro. Maybe Andersen was still a little better. Vasilevskiy came up because a very ancient Evgeny Nabokov died out and couldn't start games anymore, so in came Vasilevskiy to back up and even Vasilevskiy had to wait behind Bishop for a another 2+ years before he could take the reigns. Hellebuyck got to take over because he also was already the best goalie in the organization when he turned pro, because they had piece of crap PavelSUCK up there.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Playing one good season where you get the last spot in the playoffs and were clearly outmatched doesn't mean this is a competitive team. The current roster is not competing for a cup and last year they had no shot. The current backup goalie isnt why this team is last in the East.
Guy, where is the current backup goalie on the team? Unless you mean KK. The backup is the starter, because the starter can’t be played at all. It’s disingenuous to say he’s not the reason the NJD are last in the East. 29 goals on 196 shots. Some of which just make you wonder if you’re tuning into a National Hockey League game. Some of these goals look like something you’d see scored on a team’s fifth string emergency tender after the first four emergency tenders called out sick. The other tender has a .906 SVP% which is right around current league average. Schneids would have had to stop 11 more goals on the same number of shots to possess a .906 SVP%. The NJD doesn’t even have a goalie duo this year. It’s a one man operation with Kinker. He is costing the team games. He will cost even more if he is started even the most sparsely. And his presence costs points by causing overuse to KK who isn’t even a 40 game a year guy on most teams. .852 SVP% can’t play in the NHL. The NJD have the worst goaltending in the league because they only have a single tender and not two. Most American League callups could do better right now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I used to call him Jonas 5-holer. His 5-hole was SOOOOOO bad almost any time I watched him. Maybe it wasn't early on, before the vertigo, but it was BAD for much of his later career. I remember he was looking like a stud before that, which coincided with Giguere declining.

Speaking of Giguere, he's another elite goalie that fell off fast and declined a lot in just one year in his early 30's, but he was still a service to decent backup for 4 or 5 years after that. I don't think Schneider can be a serviceable anything after what I've seen this year. He's really become DiPietro levels of break down right now.
He was in the middle of having a breakout year in 2010-11 .924 SV% & he'd do those cat like glove saves on high quality scoring chances, he was almost Gibson level that year & like this years team they were giving up way too many shots per game. Then some puck his hit head at a allstar game caused him Vertigo, but to me it sounded more like he had a panic attack & nervious breakdown.

Giguere the man who won the 2003 Conne Smythe as the losing goalie. Don't see Goalies like Giguere anymore, he was all about perfect positioning than size or speed, these days everyone wants a 6'3 goalie thats really fast like Gibson or a 6'5 giant.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was in the middle of having a breakout year in 2010-11 .924 SV% & he'd do those cat like glove saves on high quality scoring chances, he was almost Gibson level that year & like this years team they were giving up way too many shots per game. Then some puck his hit head at a allstar game caused him Vertigo, but to me it sounded more like he had a panic attack & nervious breakdown.

Giguere the man who won the 2003 Conne Smythe as the losing goalie. Don't see Goalies like Giguere anymore, he was all about perfect positioning than size or speed, these days everyone wants a 6'3 goalie thats really fast like Gibson or a 6'5 giant.
I really can’t stand goalies like Bishop or Markstrom. Seems like pucks just hit them due to their massive girth. Well, Bishop more than Markstrom who isn’t very good.

I think it’s fair to say Gibson is the best goalie in the league. Price looks to be either declining or he’s just not gonna be consistently good anymore, Holtby looks to have leveled off the last couple regular seasons. I consider Crawford to be up there, but you never know if he’ll be the same after vertigo and he’s 34. Bob has been poor this year, has been nothing worth bragging about in the playoffs and he’s had injury problems, but not much lately.

If I could pick any goalie in the league, I think I’d pick Gibson. He’s only 25. He does seem to get injured more than I’m comfortable with, That would be my only concern, but he’s been the most consistent since he debuted. Other guys have had better seasons in that span, but have also had dreadful seasons.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cory Schneider was truly an amazing goalie and still am confident that he could still do it, but think he's hiding an injury. But right now if I were another team I'd pick him up right now while his value is down. Thing is Shero is too good at trades to get ripped off.

Had a funny career, was kept in the AHL one extra year when he should've been with the Canucks, when the Canucks for some reason chose Raycroft, then was being pondered as the Canucks starter on and off. That was the most complicated goaltending situation I've ever seen in NHL history, it was so complicated that both of them got traded. I also blame Kesler because he was just such a cancer for the Canucks.

Makes me lowkey wish that the Devils never traded for him, but instead had Brodeur mentor Kinkaid on the way to being a starter.

Back then I wanted the Canucks to trade Schneider to Philadelphia or Tampa Bay.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I don’t get this mental problem bs. These guys are professional athletes, not hormonal teenage girls. You shouldn’t be mentally weak to the point where you can’t play at an acceptable level.
If Cory came up to me and told me it’s mental I’d tell him the best solution is some electroshock therapy as it will help him get his head out of his rear end.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I don’t get this mental problem bs. These guys are professional athletes, not hormonal teenage girls. You shouldn’t be mentally weak to the point where you can’t play at an acceptable level.
If Cory came up to me and told me it’s mental I’d tell him the best solution is some electroshock therapy as it will help him get his head out of his rear end.

And the most ignorant comment of the day goes to...

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

Playing goalie is an extremely difficult position since all the decisions and reflexes have to happen in milliseconds.

If for some reason you lose your mental composure it is relly difficult to change those things and gain confidence when even the slightest hesitation will end up as a goal against you.

I’ve only played as a goalie in floorball games, but I still can understand this since I used to be really confident and good, until I got hit with a slapshot straight to my throat. After that I had problems playing since I had to reconfigure my reflexes to not hesitate with every shot (my reflexes of going in front of the ball were broken and I had to manually try to override my physical fear of being hit).

It’s easier as a forward or defenceman to try and overcome warts in your game, but a goalie has to be a killer 100% of the time. Imo that’s one reason why there are goalies who can be super for awhile and then just seemlessly for no apparent reason lose it.

Just my 2 cents.

It’s not as if he isnt trying and wouldn’t want to help his team win.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I’ve only played as a goalie in floorball games, but I still can understand this since I used to be really confident and good, until I got hit with a slapshot straight to my throat. After that I had problems playing since I had to reconfigure my reflexes to not hesitate with every shot (my reflexes of going in front of the ball were broken and I had to manually try to override my physical fear of being hit).

Been there. The sting from the floorball is bad enough when it hits you elsewhere but the throat was just horrible. Any high shots I was really hesitant with for a while after.

Reactions: ijk

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I really can’t stand goalies like Bishop or Markstrom. Seems like pucks just hit them due to their massive girth. Well, Bishop more than Markstrom who isn’t very good.

I think it’s fair to say Gibson is the best goalie in the league. Price looks to be either declining or he’s just not gonna be consistently good anymore, Holtby looks to have leveled off the last couple regular seasons. I consider Crawford to be up there, but you never know if he’ll be the same after vertigo and he’s 34. Bob has been poor this year, has been nothing worth bragging about in the playoffs and he’s had injury problems, but not much lately.

If I could pick any goalie in the league, I think I’d pick Gibson. He’s only 25. He does seem to get injured more than I’m comfortable with, That would be my only concern, but he’s been the most consistent since he debuted. Other guys have had better seasons in that span, but have also had dreadful seasons.
Whats encouraging is each time he comes back from an injury he plays well.
If it weren't for Carlyles system our team plays he'd not have to face 40 shots a game & his SV% would be higher from not facing so many most goalies have no chance at.
If it were the 1990s we'd run a trap team to make up for our idiot coach who can't run an effective system in todays nhl.

In the playoffs i'd probably pick Rinne who always seems to up his game in the playoffs, but then again their D + coaches system is superior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad