Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I mean last year the Devils were competitive and the only real lost they had iirc is John Moore so you shouldnt be this bad

Playing one good season where you get the last spot in the playoffs and were clearly outmatched doesn't mean this is a competitive team. The current roster is not competing for a cup and last year they had no shot. The current backup goalie isnt why this team is last in the East.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Probably because you never watched him. He was fantastic

Yeah. In retrospect he would have been a better fit on NYI than he was in NJD in terms of window. Despite what he is now, I still see NYI not being able to acquire Schneider at that draft as the single largest missed opportunity leading up to the current rebuild. Having him instead of the league's worst goaltending in 2013-14, 2014-2015 and into 2016 would've meant a team that actually contended instead of pretended. At the same time, it was a mistake for NJD, who really lacked any skill, to trade away a top-10 pick for Schneider.

I've seen first-hand what injuries + competitiveness and a long term contract can do to a talented goalie (and Dipietro was never as good as Schneider was). It's too bad.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah. In retrospect he would have been a better fit on NYI than he was in NJD in terms of window. Despite what he is now, I still see NYI not being able to acquire Schneider at that draft as the single largest missed opportunity leading up to the current rebuild. Having him instead of the league's worst goaltending in 2013-14, 2014-2015 and into 2016 would've meant a team that actually contended instead of pretended. At the same time, it was a mistake for NJD, who really lacked any skill, to trade away a top-10 pick for Schneider.

I've seen first-hand what injuries + competitiveness and a long term contract can do to a talented goalie (and Dipietro was never as good as Schneider was). It's too bad.

Islanders didn't have the pick to make it happen (Canucks were targeting Horvat, who was unlikely to make it to 15).

However, if there was a move available, Schneider could have changed the Islanders' fortunes over those years.

Would have been better for Schneider too, who split duties with Brodeur over an extra season when he was clearly ready to start.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looking back now, that schneider for horvat trade has turned into a true win win trade for both teams. Canucks gave up the better player at that time for their future stud 1/2C and future captain, while the devils got a elite schneids to replace brodeur for quite a few seasons, and did have major playoff success (though 1 season).

I loved schneids when he was in vancouver, so i hope to sew him back on track!
Exactly.

When you trade a guy entering his prime, for a pick, the expectation is that the buyer wins the deal for awhile in the short term, then the seller hopefully wins the deal long term.

And that is what happened here.

NJ win the deal for the first 3 years, and the Canucks won it the next 3 years and likely counting.

Win-win

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Never really got the hype around him. The Canucks def won the trade.
Yup ...future captain and a player that has improved and met every challenge given to him so far....quickly becoming my all time favourite....Schneider was a great goalie though, but you have to give something to get something....heck of a nice guy too...

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think it's the body at all.

It's mental. Sure, the Devils defense and forward defensive support are not good, but the shots that are going in are stoppable for someone who has made it to the NHL. His rebound control was never the best, but it's abysmal right now.

I'm guessing it's the same shit it always is: took a small problem, got too many voices in his ear trying to fix it and then they killed the patient. I'm almost glad his contract is untradable because it'll be a good story when he gets things back on track. Or it will go down as one of the more bizarre declines I've ever seen in almost thirty years of watching hockey.

Reactions: amethyst

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Tough game for Corey against the Ducks. Seemed like he was down early on the ones his teammates didnt cost him. Hard to blame him for Lovejoy/Greene helping out the other side. Saw he made some good saves in OT. SO is the SO.

Its too bad hes had this bad long run. I still think he has it in him to be a good starter. Id take him back in Van for sure. Hopefully he can get a win soon & build off it from there.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

NJ win the deal for the first 3 years, and the Canucks won it the next 3 years and likely counting.

Agreed. Best post here so far.

Keep in mind, that trade was made just 1 season after the Devils were in the Cup Finals. Kovlachuk was still on team and hadn't retired yet. This trade happened a couple of weeks before he retired, moved to Russia, unretired and played in the KHL.

Had Kovalchuk retired prior to that draft, there's a good chance that trade never happens. Also there's no guarantee the Devils even pick Horvat to begin with at #9 with their pick.

Reactions: Tripod

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Cory hasn't won a regular season season game since December 27, 2017.

Looks like he'll break that streak tonight with a very solid start tonight only allowing 3 goals in the first period.
Deja vu

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just need to waive him at this point, rehabilitate his career in the AHL, just get him minutes down there, see where it goes. Right now he's useless in the NHL and his confidence is shot.

Reactions: HBK27 and amethyst

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
As a Rangers fan, I feel bad for Schneider. Saw a lot of him in NJ, and he looked like an absolute stud at points. Injuries absolutely ruined him.

That 3rd goal is one I can say I legitimately would have stopped. No excuse for a play like that to go in at any pro level. That shouldnt go in at high school level. Not good. His confidence is through the floor right now.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
He's the Lucic of goalies I suppose. This time last year Lucic looked normal and at times dominant lol. After christmas, it was like Space Jam and an alien stole any "hockey sense" he had.

Fast forward 12 months... Cory cant buy a win and Lucic cant buy a goal with the 6 million bucks they make. :popcorn:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I can’t rmemeber a player that’s ever regressed this badly. Can you imagine a nhl goalie going an entire year without a win.... insane...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad