Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Tonight had to be the nail in the coffin. Starting at home...gives up 3 goals in the opening 10 minutes, 2 of which your below average beer league tendy would have saved.

Having him up with the club at this point has gotta be bad for morale for all parties. So what's next?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm afraid he may be at DiPietro levels of no return right now.

Even DiPietro managed an .886% save percentage over his last 50 games played in the league between 2008-2009 and 2012-2013.

Schneider has been an .859% regular season goalie over his last 21 games played and 19 starts. He has allowed at least 3 goals in 18 of 19 starts and the one game where he allowed 2 was against the historically poor shooting Carolina Hurricanes, and both goals still came in the opening 30 seconds of that game.

If we include the playoffs last year where he was a .950% in 3 starts and one relief appearance, it's .876% over his last 25 games played and 22 starts. He's had exactly 0 shutouts and 0 single goal against games since then. All 3 of his playoff starts were 2 goal against games and then the one game against Carolina this regular season.

Jonas Hiller was an .879% in 26 games and 23 starts in 2015-2016 and that was the end of him in the NHL. I'm currently trying to figure out if this is the worst 25 game stretch a goalie has had in the last decade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory hasn't won a regular season season game since December 27, 2017.

Looks like he'll break that streak tonight with a very solid start tonight only allowing 3 goals in the first period.
Just now saw when this was posted.

Thanks for the jinx hahahahaha.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What's the record for consecutive starts without a win? Any regular guy that has a bad run usually flukes a win out still now and then. And any legitimately horrible goalie gets shelved if he's playing terrible and is either booted off the team to the AHL or is just done all together. Schneider seems to be in a rare situation where he has to keep on getting the odd start and keeps on chugging collecting the L's or gets pulled.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
What's the record for consecutive starts without a win? Any regular guy that has a bad run usually flukes a win out still now and then. And any legitimately horrible goalie gets shelved if he's playing terrible and is either booted off the team to the AHL or is just done all together. Schneider seems to be in a rare situation where he has to keep on getting the odd start and keeps on chugging collecting the L's or gets pulled.

Michel Belhumeur has atleast the single season record.

Belhumeur has the distinction of most games played in one season (35 games in the 1974-75 NHL season with the Capitals) without a win. In 35 games, he won zero games, lost 24, and tied 3.
Over two seasons with the Caps, Belhumeur played 42 games and won zero of them, posting a GAA of 4.61. Astonishing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just like Riley Sheahan scoring in game 82 of the 2016-2017 season, he is going to win in the Devils’ final game of 2018, just to **** us all.
I wonder if this was pointed out here yet, but oddly enough, do you know who the goaltender was that Riley Sheahan scored his first goal of that season on in game 82 against? Well, he actually scored 2 that day (I think?) and they were both on none other than Cory Schneider.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2013-14New Jersey DevilsNHL4504268088031.9716151210190.921---
2014-15New Jersey DevilsNHL692039241481252.262631918340.925---
2015-16New Jersey DevilsNHL58003388122642.152725614750.924---
2016-17New Jersey DevilsNHL60003491163022.8220271116180.908---
2017-18New Jersey DevilsNHL40002332114012.931716611140.907410
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He was a stud for 3 seasons then something changed. Probably some shenanigans with goalie coaching. I think the Devils ruined him and his confident is shot. Would gladly have him back as a Canuck
Goalie coach was fired after that first poor season 16-17 season and replaced with former Canucks goalie coach Roland Melanson. He started off 17-18 strong, then fell back to where he was the year before by the end of that season.

He had a knee injury in March of 2016, that kept him out for 4 weeks or so. He came back to play the final 3 games of the season and looked fine. I'm pretty sure he had surgery on something at the end of that season though. He came back, had a great October of 2016 and first half of November, but since November 17th of 2016, his save percentage is .901% in the regular season and that's 97 games worth now. It might be .903% or .904% with 4 playoff games last year over the last 101 games played.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm so sick of Cory Schneider and his dogcrap play. If he had any honor he'd retire in shame and never be heard from again. He's an utter disgrace. I don't even know it's possible to lose 20 games in a row. It's easier to win the Powerball than to pull that off. Hell, you could probably play with a ****ing empty net all game and win at least 1 out of 20 games.

He's been a total disaster since getting here. Everything he's done has been an epic failure.
Had an attitude when he came over and basically forced Marty to retire before he could get 700 wins then proceeded to screw up our tank for a few years.
Then, the moment Shero started fixing the roster and making it competitive Corey decides to play like total garbage.

I swear, we would be in better shape if we didn't have Cory, but instead had Chiarelli as our GM and Melnyk as owner for the past 5 years. No other team has had such a disastrous person in their organization. He's the biggest disgrace in hockey.
This is so nonsensical and biased right here. He forced Marty out because Marty sucked by the time Cory got here. Marty needed to retire because he wasn't good anymore. He was washed up and finished by that point. What you sound like is a blind Marty fanboy that's just sad that your idol couldn't play anymore.

Sadly, Schneider is probably now worse than even Marty was by the time he last played here.

Read what you write. You'd rather have Melnyk or Chiarelli here? I mean, the guy sucks now, but this way overboard and just reeks of personal bias. If Melnyk was the owner here, the team may as well have Schneider. Imagine if we had both? Cheap Melnyk probably wouldn't even write the check to buy Schneider out after this year, which is what we're likely going to do.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Playing one good season where you get the last spot in the playoffs and were clearly outmatched doesn't mean this is a competitive team. The current roster is not competing for a cup and last year they had no shot. The current backup goalie isnt why this team is last in the East.
Actually, it kind of is the reason the team is last in the East. He might not be the reason the team is not in a playoff spot, but he's absolutely a HUGE reason why this team is in last place. Look no further than what happened tonight. On most nights, he loses us this game in the first 10 minutes. The coach (who I don't really like) made a commendable decision to say ''Enough is enough'' and pulled him and we come back and win the game.

If you wanna argue that he's not the reason the team isn't in a playoff spot, that's acceptable, but he is much to do with the reason that the team is last in the East. And it's not just the games that he plays, it's also the games he doesn't play now, because we're forced to shelter him and aren't able to play him because he's not serviceable, so basically we're wearing the other guy out because of him and the other guy might even start breaking down because he's the only serviceable goalie on the roster, never mind the only NHL caliber goalie on the roster. Kinkaid has already shown signs of breaking down.

I can already think of a few games where he cost the team a point, if not two points. The Detroit game, a one goal loss, where he allows two weak goals. The Ottawa and Winnipeg games were both blowouts and he only allowed a weak goal in each game. The Carolina game he allows a weak goal 20 seconds in and another goal (no chance on the second) a few seconds later. We scored one goal in this game, he only allowed 2, not on him, but he did get us points in games like that before he became a very bad goaltender. The Tampa game? 3 stoppable goals in that one. We probably get a point with better goaltending. The Anaheim game? Everybody only remembers the own goals, but they forget that the own goals only hurt us because he had no margin for error because of the two BAD goals he allowed in the 1st period. Tonight? He almost cost us again, just by playing 10 minutes. Can you name a bigger underperforming player on this team? When it comes to salary and what's expected of him, and not to mention he plays the most important position in the game, he's the biggest underperformer on the roster, as much as I'd love to say it's Pavel Zacha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helistin

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Schneider for Horvat trade sure looking good now, at the time I was pissed as a Canucks fan, not sure what the heck happened with Schneider.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Devils with an amazing comeback. No idea why they keep starting that bum. He should be in the ahl at best. Good on kinkaid

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Could be both physical (injuries) and mental (remember cramping in the 11 playoffs as a relief goalie). Someone wrote he's a a nice guy. Yeah, but as a goalie you can't be too nice though... people will walk right over you and crap in your crease.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Probably because you never watched him. He was fantastic

He was. Basically out-dueled a HHOF level goalie (Luongo) still at his prime. Had the best numbers in the league over a multi-year period. That big goof Brian Boyle even said a big reason he signed with NJD was Schneider.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He was. Basically out-dueled a HHOF level goalie (Luongo) still at his prime. Had the best numbers in the league over a multi-year period. That big goof Brian Boyle even said a big reason he signed with NJD was Schneider.

Yeah. Schneider has had such a bizarre career. Spent so much of his prime either stuck behind Luongo until he legitimately outperformed him to the point of stealing his job, or on Devils teams that just couldn't take him anywhere. Now looking like he's pretty much cooked at 32. Just really weird throughout. So much "what if" to it, when you look at how legitimately elite his play was in his prime.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Michel Belhumeur has atleast the single season record.

Belhumeur has the distinction of most games played in one season (35 games in the 1974-75 NHL season with the Capitals) without a win. In 35 games, he won zero games, lost 24, and tied 3.
Over two seasons with the Caps, Belhumeur played 42 games and won zero of them, posting a GAA of 4.61. Astonishing.
Interesting.

Anyone know the cap era record? I think that would be more relevant. Teams don't post 8 game win seasons nowadays...

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Yeah. Schneider has had such a bizarre career. Spent so much of his prime either stuck behind Luongo until he legitimately outperformed him to the point of stealing his job, or on Devils teams that just couldn't take him anywhere. Now looking like he's pretty much cooked at 32. Just really weird throughout. So much "what if" to it, when you look at how legitimately elite his play was in his prime.
I was a huge Cory fan, but even in his "prime" on the Canucks he had some horrendous games. By horrendous, I don't mean an off game, I mean games where it looked like you went down to your local rink, took the worst skater, threw some goalie pads on him, and put him in net in the NHL. Maybe I'm just too hung up on that 12/13 playoff performance.

I think he's mentally weak. When you combine that with coming back from possibly multiple injuries that impacted your lateral movement, apparently it creates a recipe for disaster.

Really intrigued to see what the Devs do here. They have to get him off the roster for morale purposes. Last year on the Devs board I claimed the team looked like they were playing erratic, panicky defense whenever Schneider was in net. Like they couldn't trust him to do his job, so they were doing things they shouldn't be positionally and flailing recklessly (more than usual) at the puck when it was around the net. Now, our defense sucks normally, but this just looked even worse. Then you had the 3 own goal game against Cory....and I rest my case.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah. Schneider has had such a bizarre career.

Didn’t he also admit to being lazy/overweight early on in his career too? Remember Schneids was a 1st round pick and within the VAN organization before Luongo even came along from FLA. He could have hustled more early on but he seems too nice of a guy without the arrogance/greed/self love of say a Marty Brodeur or a Timmy Thomas.

I think he's mentally weak.

Or at least mentally unfit for the job. Didn’t he more or less admit to it himself?

To succeed as a goalie you need a jerk element to your personality, even if it’s only fake or friendly (Lundqvist, Luongo). You don’t need to be a self-absorbed jerk a la Tim Thomas, but you need some thick skin or at least a fake persona. Schneids is just a normal nice guy.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm afraid he may be at DiPietro levels of no return right now.

Even DiPietro managed an .886% save percentage over his last 50 games played in the league between 2008-2009 and 2012-2013.

Schneider has been an .859% regular season goalie over his last 21 games played and 19 starts. He has allowed at least 3 goals in 18 of 19 starts and the one game where he allowed 2 was against the historically poor shooting Carolina Hurricanes, and both goals still came in the opening 30 seconds of that game.

If we include the playoffs last year where he was a .950% in 3 starts and one relief appearance, it's .876% over his last 25 games played and 22 starts. He's had exactly 0 shutouts and 0 single goal against games since then. All 3 of his playoff starts were 2 goal against games and then the one game against Carolina this regular season.

Jonas Hiller was an .879% in 26 games and 23 starts in 2015-2016 and that was the end of him in the NHL. I'm currently trying to figure out if this is the worst 25 game stretch a goalie has had in the last decade.

I previously didn't think it was possible for goalie in this decade to have worse stretch of games than Jonas 'Goals go in like a hot knife thru Swiss Cheese' Hiller.

Hiller's problems i thought was mostly mental problems, ever since that mysterious vertigo he had in 2010-11 he was never the same, listening to him in interviews he always seemed like a quirky guy, wouldn't be surprised if Hiller had anxiety issues, in many games after that season he'd melt down after 1 goal went in & then the goals would start pouring in like beer being poured into a mug.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad