Cory Schneider has lost 21 straight starts

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's gotta be hiding an injury, because I thought he was playing just fine, plus the Devils haven't really had any true D in years. The best one they got, from what I understand, is Vatanen.

I won't give up on him until next season, then I'll be convinced it's time for him to retire.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Woah Nelly.

He should have had that one win if the Devils didnt score three own goals, bu that stat is crazy.
Lol I didnt know that happened! I just checked and they were legit own goals, not just random deflection but actually directed into the net.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
his hip surgery is a long and tough recovery. was reading it usually takes 2 years until he would be back to 100 percent. Hope he sticks around long enough to find out.

Yeah Luongo said that it took him 2 years to recover and his hip still doesn't feel "right". It was mentioned in Friedmann's latest "31 thoughts".

Reactions: NinjaKick

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'm pretty sure Curtis McElhinney did this once with the Flames but he was Kipper's backup, so he hardly started any games.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Too bad for Schneider, but I never count out old goalies. Hard to go any further south from here, and sometimes you just need that rock bottom moment to springboard from. Schneider shouldn't play another game until he feels 100%, even if that means shutting him down for the year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Horvat trade looking better and better everyday

I hate this gloating. You traded for an 18 year old. Obviously at some point the older player will decline and retire while they hit their prime. It's just how it works. Doesn't mean that at the peak value Schnieds wasn't a bigger impact piece than Horvat is.

Put the guy they traded for on last years Devils team and they make some noise. Horvat hasn't won anything either

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I hate this gloating. You traded for an 18 year old. Obviously at some point the older player will decline and retire while they hit their prime. It's just how it works. Doesn't mean that at the peak value Schnieds wasn't a bigger impact piece than Horvat is.

Put the guy they traded for on last years Devils team and they make some noise. Horvat hasn't won anything either
Yes and?

I was merely gloating. We had an incredible amount of criticism and backlash for this trade. I too was not fond of this trade at the time it happened, considering who we drafted at that place "Lots of us were convinced Horvat would top out as a 3rd line center" but Horvat's done everything to sway my views on that trade. There's nothing gloating about me saying the trade keeps getting better for us, because it is.

I'm not going to discredit a goaltender like Schneider who at the time of the trade was on the verge of becoming something greater and unfortunately his great years were wasted on a poor Devils team that has managed to turn it around on Schenider's 'downswing'. Although I truly feel like Schneider's rough year is an anomaly. I expect him to bounce back soon. He's only 32.

Let's not sugarcoat things though, Horvat has surpassed all expectations, and everything he brings to the table, and his impact, so far, has been far more impressionable than Schneider's. Considering Horvat is only 23 years old, and is putting up borderline 1st line center numbers.

Reactions: Dialamo

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Playoff stats dont count towards your career numbers so no?

And part of my (admittedly snarky) post is that I think it's really stupid that we do that.

We value playoff performance. We value championships. Ovie was criticized for years until his team finally won a Cup. Like any sport, championships rule above all, and the playoffs are the part of the competition where those are won. And, yet, when it comes to evaluating career statistics, for some utterly stupid reason, we don't count playoff stats. I mean, Gretzky isn't the only NHL player to score 2,000 career points (Jagr and Howe both reached that total), but he's the only 1,000 goal scorer and 3,000 point scorer in the NHL's history and, boy, you would think that would be a cool thing to talk about, wouldn't you? But we don't do that, and I'll never understand why.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Exactly.

A good trade is a win/win. NJ won the trade for the 1st few years, now it's the Canucks turn.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I feel bad for the guy. He is a good goalie. A change of scenery would do wonders for him.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
And part of my (admittedly snarky) post is that I think it's really stupid that we do that.

We value playoff performance. We value championships. Ovie was criticized for years until his team finally won a Cup. Like any sport, championships rule above all, and the playoffs are the part of the competition where those are won. And, yet, when it comes to evaluating career statistics, for some utterly stupid reason, we don't count playoff stats. I mean, Gretzky isn't the only NHL player to score 2,000 career points (Jagr and Howe both reached that total), but he's the only 1,000 goal scorer and 3,000 point scorer in the NHL's history and, boy, you would think that would be a cool thing to talk about, wouldn't you? But we don't do that, and I'll never understand why.

It’s actually simple. Barring injury, all players will play the same amount of games in the regular season. The amount of playoff games will be significantly influenced by the overall talent of the team, so while two players might be comparable in talent, the amount of games played between significantly different if one player is on a more talented team that goes on deeper playoff runs.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
It’s actually simple. Barring injury, all players will play the same amount of games in the regular season. The amount of playoff games will be significantly influenced by the overall talent of the team, so while two players might be comparable in talent, the amount of games played between significantly different if one player is on a more talented team that goes on deeper playoff runs.

Ok? And some players will play more seasons in the NHL than some other players. Some players may have injuries cost them more games on average over a given season than others. And we can always delineate regular season stats from playoff stats if we so choose to. I'm talking on a career basis more than a per-season basis anyway.

The crux of my point is that we just ignore them entirely, more-or-less, and that's somethng that goes beyond my comprehension. Clearly.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Has he lost his spot on the team? Yesterday, the devils played kinkade and tonight it seems they are playing Blackwood.

It's possible. Keith Kinkaid and MacKensie Blackwood are both better goalies than Schneider. If Blackwood keeps up his play, he will certainly stay up and guarantee an NHL spot next year. Schneider may be 'IR'ed' for the remainder of the season and bought out or he may be assigned to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00