Cory Schneider has lost 21 straight starts

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was such a good goalie...like top 5 for multiple years. Crazy what has happened to him.
Fell off a cliff. I think his career is over. It's in his best interest to try and see if he can be LTIR'd. If not, we're gonna have to buy him out after this year. The fact that we had just one serviceable goalie through the first two months of the season was most of the reason we were out of the playoff race before December. And that one serviceable goalie (Kinkaid) now looks like that's taken a toll on him, as he's nothing more than a career backup and now he looks barely serviceable.

It's not just since last December of 2017 that Schneider has been bad though. His save percentage is something like .901% since November 17th of 2016. That's regular season only. His excellent .950% playoff series last year brings it up to about .903% over his last 103 NHL games or something. He hasn't even been good in the AHL. If you take his 9 AHL games player over the last year and combined it with his NHL games, it's barely over .900%. He even started last year .923% in the first 27 games, that even includes that stretch.

He just doesn't look serviceable anymore. Don't believe me then believe the stats, but even the second worst goalie in the league since December of 2017 has been quite a bit better than him in save percentage. His last 25 regular season games is like .865% or something. That's pretty hard to do in 2017-2019, unless you're just not nearly NHL caliber.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What happens first... Laine gets a goal or Schneider gets a win
Laine will probably get a goal. I think Schneider will get at least one win this year. Not gonna predict anything more than that though. And it will come sometime between his next start and final start of the season. As long as he's healthy enough to be on the active roster for the remainder of the year, which also isn't a given. That's all I'll predict. It might be in the final game of the season.

His hip right now looks about as detachable as King Missile's you know what.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fell off a cliff. I think his career is over. It's in his best interest to try and see if he can be LTIR'd. If not, we're gonna have to buy him out after this year. The fact that we had just one serviceable goalie through the first two months of the season was most of the reason we were out of the playoff race before December. And that one serviceable goalie (Kinkaid) now looks like that's taken a toll on him, as he's nothing more than a career backup and now he looks barely serviceable.

It's not just since last December of 2017 that Schneider has been bad though. His save percentage is something like .901% since November 17th of 2016. That's regular season only. His excellent .950% playoff series last year brings it up to about .903% over his last 103 NHL games or something. He hasn't even been good in the AHL. If you take his 9 AHL games player over the last year and combined it with his NHL games, it's barely over .900%. He even started last year .923% in the first 27 games, that even includes that stretch.

He just doesn't look serviceable anymore. Don't believe me then believe the stats, but even the second worst goalie in the league since December of 2017 has been quite a bit better than him in save percentage. His last 25 regular season games is like .865% or something. That's pretty hard to do in 2017-2019, unless you're just not nearly NHL caliber.

Sounds like his hip has done him in then.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The other day he played great against the islanders but got the loss. Tough streak he’s on.
That was literally his only good regular season game since December 27th of 2017.

That's the only start since then that he only allowed 1 goal or fewer than two. And outside of his 3 playoff starts where he played amazing and allowed just 2 goals in every game (on 30+ shots per game), he has only played 2 games where he allowed fewer than 3 goals in the NHL. One was against Carolina back in November, where he allowed 2 goals on the first 2 shots of the game before stopping the last 20+, and the other was that game last week against the Islanders.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Saw him in warm ups the other night in STL and he looked like a goalie sized traffic cone. Because of that I wasn't remotely surprised they left Kinkaid in.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
How the heck can u lose 21 in a row? Not a single team in recent seasons has done that before.
I mean he literally has to try to los on purpose to get this result...

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Everybody thought the Canucks were insane when they moved him and kept Luongo.
Horvat turned out well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How the heck can u lose 21 in a row? Not a single team in recent seasons has done that before.
I mean he literally has to try to los on purpose to get this result...
His save percentage over that span is about .860%-.865%.

To be fair, he probably should have won 3-4 of those games just due to his team outscoring the other team, but I can only say he's played well enough to deserve to win exactly one of those games. He did lose 3 in the shootout too. He's only allowed fewer than 3 goals in two of those games during this stretch. One of them was a 1 goal against loss in the shootout to the Islanders last week.

I'd almost guarantee that this is the longest streak at least since 2005 when ties were discontinued. To be fair, 3 of those would be counted at ties before that, but it still would have been 21 starts without a win.

I really think the end is near. Most Devils fans don't wanna hear it and I can't blame them, as I've talked about it enough, but they seem very scared by the prospect of a buyout. Partly because his buyout would be $2 million the cap over the next 6 years and because there's still some belief that he might return to being good again, which is rally not something to be afraid of, as the chances of it happening are so low at this point. Even if he were good again, it would likely only be something that lasted for one season, before returning to the declining version. Rinne had a couple poor seasons like this at the same age and returned to form, but the stretch of games didn't span over 100 before he turned it around, like it has for Schneider.

I really thought that even if he were bought out, someone would likely sign him to a one year deal for league minimum to backup, just based on who he was and that nest year would be his final year in the league. If someone signed Cam Ward to a one year deal, I think they'd sign Schneider, but even that isn't a given the more he plays and the longer he goes without even one small hot streak.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Everybody thought the Canucks were insane when they moved him and kept Luongo..
Speaking of Luongo, mark this date down on the calendar. April 6th of 2019. Devils play the Panthers in what will almost assuredly be the season finale for both teams.

We're now looking at the possibility of Luongo and Schneider facing off against each other in what could be the final game of each of their NHL careers. What are the chances of that? It was to be expected for Luongo, due to him being 40 at season's end, but who could have predicted Schneider vs Luongo in their career finale's as of the start of this year? It's a distinct possibility now and something to look at in about 50 days from now.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I feel like this is one of the most bizarre / unbelievably improbable hockey events we will all ever witness in our lives.

This sort of losing streak is astounding, especially coming from someone who was a near-elite caliber goalie not that long ago.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Saw him in warm ups the other night in STL and he looked like a goalie sized traffic cone. Because of that I wasn't remotely surprised they left Kinkaid in.
He looks like that a lot these days. I thought he looked like a cone on an assembly line on the fifth Blackhawks goal tonight. Almost looked like he was just backing himself up and was resigned to the fact that the puck was going in, no matter what.

I was actually annoyed that Hynes left Kinkaid in the other night because it looks like the coach doesn't have a players back when he lets him rot in there for 8 goals against, and I also thought it would be a good time in warming Schneider up, who he had already announced as the starter for tonight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like this is one of the most bizarre / unbelievably improbable hockey events we will all ever witness in our lives.

This sort of losing streak is astounding, especially coming from someone who was a near-elite caliber goalie not that long ago.
The whole thing is one of the greatest declines I've witnessed from a once elite player.

I considered Schneider an elite goalie a little over 2 years ago. Even after a poor 16-17, I said that he deserves the benefit of the doubt and should be afforded one bad season and I still considered him elite. Much like Carey Price last year. Because it was the first full season of his career that he had a save percentage below .921%. That was not including his call up in 08-09 where he only played like 8 games and his 2-3 games the next year in 09-10.

Then it looked like he was bouncing back last year and he just went BOOM. Finished with a similar save percentage from the year before.

So my next thought was that maybe he's just poor now, but will hopefully plateau and we'll have other options and not have to rely on him for a lot of games every year, and just buy him out during the next CBA if there's an amnesty buyout. It doesn't look like we can wait that long though.

I remember people describing Brodeur's decline as ''Falling off a cliff'', but this is much worse. Not to mention that Brodeur was 37 or 38 when his decline started. Schneider was 30.

Reactions: Goose

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Who remembers how crazy high his value was back when he was in Vancouver? In hockey your value can turn so quickly, pretty weird.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
His body is shot is my impression. Shame, you never want a player to have to quit because of injuries.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Just yesterday some Devils fan was trying to argue that Zaitsev is the worst contract in the league

Guess he doesn't know about Schneider

ruskidevil14

Feb 23, 2017
Just yesterday some Devils fan was trying to argue that Zaitsev is the worst contract in the league

Guess he doesn't know about Schneider
unfortunately we have plenty of cap space- you guys on the other hand will lose young talent due to that cone of a d man

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even his conditioning stints in the AHL appear to be bad, stats-wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad