OT: Cory Monteith found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't know what will drive a successful young guy who according to reports is about to get married, into doing hard drugs like heroine? Seemed to have everything going for him from the outside. Maybe money and fame is not what its all cracked up to be? Or more likely that addiction is irrational, you still do it even when you have absolutely no reason to need it.

It's like that with most stars - why do they get addicted to drugs? Too much money/time on their hands, stress, whatever it may be.

timorousme

luongod
Apr 3, 2008
It's like that with most stars - why do they get addicted to drugs? Too much money/time on their hands, stress, whatever it may be.

I think you guys are missing the point where he was addicted to drugs and doing street level crimes to support his habit long before he even thought of acting. This wasn't an actor who became addicted to drugs, this was a drug addict who became an actor.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I think you guys are missing the point where he was addicted to drugs and doing street level crimes to support his habit long before he even thought of acting. This wasn't an actor who became addicted to drugs, this was a drug addict who became an actor.

This is what people here are missing. He grew up in a bad part of Victoria on the West Shore. He barely made it through high school and struggle with drugs early into his twenties.

LolClarkson*

They lose the meaning of life. Its sad because this guy would probably have got back on track once he had a kid or 2.

But its the worst if they don't know what its like to be poor or average first.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
But its the worst if they don't know what its like to be poor or average first.

Pretty sure his whole problem was that he knew that life too well.

Monteith was born in Calgary, Alberta, on May 11, 1982,[1] the younger son of Ann McGregor, an interior decorator, and Joe Monteith, a military man who served in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.[2][3] He had an older brother named Shaun. Monteith's parents divorced when he was seven years old,[4] and he and his older brother were raised by their mother in Victoria, British Columbia.[5] After the divorce he saw little of his father due to Joe Monteith's military service, and he had social difficulties at school. From age 13, he used alcohol and marijuana and started being truant from school.[6]

After attending 16 schools,[7] including alternative programs for troubled teens, he dropped out altogether at age 16. By that time, his drug and alcohol dependency had increased and Monteith turned to petty crimes, such as stealing money from friends and family, to fund his addictions.[5] The turning point in Monteith's life came when his mother and a group of friends staged an intervention when he was 19, and he began attending a rehabilitation program.[5] Monteith stated, "I'm lucky on so many counts. I'm lucky to be alive."[8] He eventually received his high school diploma in 2011 from an alternative school he attended in his youth in Victoria.[6]

Sounds like he had a pretty crappy childhood. Definitely had some unresolved issues.

LolClarkson*

EDIT: Addiction in the biological sense is not irrational. Engaging in addictive acts, particularly when one has an addictive personality is irrational though.

Addiction is , on its face, irrational. Gambling is just as addictive as cigarettes or heroin but nothing is entering your body.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Addiction is , on its face, irrational. Gambling is just as addictive as cigarettes or heroin but nothing is entering your body.

Wow, this is why commentary from sports fans on an issue like this is useless. So many ignorant comments in this thread. Learn the difference between physical and mental addiction.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Wow, this is why commentary from sports fans on an issue like this is useless. So many ignorant comments in this thread. Learn the difference between physical and mental addiction.

I believe his point was that addiction can be irrational, a point that you have not proven wrong...

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
reports are that the lovely church group from the south will be heading north to protest his funeral. i am a catholic and I have a problem with the WBC, hopefully they will be stopped at the border

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
While I don't disagree that physically dependent addiction to certain drugs is harder to overcome than some other forms of addiction, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. "Mental Addiction" is physical addiction, through mental addiction you are physically altering your brain, forming new connections and destroying old ones, so there is no form of addiction that doesn't physically alter you in some way. And to simply toss all of those forms of addictions as something completely separate from the body is just plain wrong.

StringerBell

Yes? Colwood/Langford area if I'm not wrong. It's no Uplands.

It's no Camden either. Just more of a blue collar crowd.

While I don't disagree that physically dependent addiction to certain drugs is harder to overcome than some other forms of addiction, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. "Mental Addiction" is physical addiction, through mental addiction you are physically altering your brain, forming new connections and destroying old ones, so there is no form of addiction that doesn't physically alter you in some way. And to simply toss all of those forms of addictions as something completely separate from the body is just plain wrong.

Medically speaking they are two very distinct afflictions.

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
Just Ask

Rest Cory.
Think I stopped viewing after season three but sheesh that show had been super.
Smart, brave, funny and a pretty neat and unusual concept which is a luxury found very nearly nowhere on television.

On addiction,

If you think you might find some info useful regarding Vancouver Addictions Services just holler.

What's Vancouver Detox like? Just holler.
What are Vancouver outpatient services, for example, Vancouver Daytox, Vancouver Addictions Matrix Program and S.M.A.R.T. Recovery about? Just holler.
What's The Centre For Concurrent Disorders about?
What's AA or other Twelve Step type group like? Just holler.
Is there a secular approach to recovery? Just holler.
How can I be hooked up with services ASAP? Just holler.
What is physical withdrawal like and how is it treated? Just holler.
Are you a doctor who can give me medical advice? No.
Are you an addict in recovery? Yes, just holler.

Feel free to PM or jrlp at telus dot net

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Where's the bad part of Victoria?

Drugs can be found anywhere

I think he was a bit young for 'old school' Langford. I lived there for about 15 years and saw the changes. In the 90's and before it was a lot more gritty, but the town has been developed and cleaned up quite a bit. It's almost unrecognizable compared to 15 years ago. It's certainly not comparable to gritty parts of Vancouver's East Side for example. Langford is just a big box suburb now because the rest of Victoria has a very anti-development attitude except for maybe Saanich. Neighbouring Colwood is a sleepy, residential community without much going on.

I'd say that now the worst parts of Victoria are the condos like View towers, Gorge Rd East and parts of Esquimalt. Langford/Colwood are relatively safe.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think he was a bit young for 'old school' Langford. I lived there for about 15 years and saw the changes. In the 90's and before it was a lot more gritty, but the town has been developed and cleaned up quite a bit. It's almost unrecognizable compared to 15 years ago. It's certainly not comparable to gritty parts of Vancouver's East Side for example. Langford is just a big box suburb now because the rest of Victoria has a very anti-development attitude except for maybe Saanich. Neighbouring Colwood is a sleepy, residential community without much going on.

I'd say that now the worst parts of Victoria are the condos like View towers, Gorge Rd East and parts of Esquimalt. Langford/Colwood are relatively safe.

15 years ago Cory Monteith was 16 so very well could grown up in that environment...

How ever I do not know where he grew up.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
did he already have drug connections in vancouver, does anyone know? is it easy to just wander out on your own and by drugs?

i live a boring life...if i wanted heroin, i don't think i'd know how to get it.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
did he already have drug connections in vancouver, does anyone know? is it easy to just wander out on your own and by drugs?

i live a boring life...if i wanted heroin, i don't think i'd know how to get it.

I'd bet he bought it down at the local corner heroin shop.

In assuming he probably had the hookups but I guess at the same time if you're an addict you know who to ask in the right part of town?

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
I'd bet he bought it down at the local corner heroin shop.

In assuming he probably had the hookups but I guess at the same time if you're an addict you know who to ask in the right part of town?

The truth is, if you know who to ask (even if you don't!) the right part of town is EVERY part of town. And in the case of alcohol addiction, the question isn't, of course, where can you find it but rather where CAN'T you be bombarded by it's use, sale, advertisement and cultural sway.

In Vancouver the answer is nowhere and TV star or not, folks often find themselves in the midst of a social culture that orbits social use and abuse and often makes no distinction, at least none that is of any value to an addict. I suspect that as a media star, a sizeable chunk of one's life is spent surrounded by environmental (who what where) and emotional (when I feel x,y,z) triggers and within a social circle that is not known for it's sensitivity in this regard or it's willingness to change behaviours for the benefit of an individual. Excepting the loved ones willing to, naturally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad