OT: Cory Monteith found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I believe his point was that addiction can be irrational, a point that you have not proven wrong...
Comparing gambling to cigarettes and heroin is a terrible comparison. You won't become sick and start shaking while your entire body hurts when you don't gamble. You may be depressed or anxious if you don't gamble but that's the difference. It shows a complete lack of understanding to call them both irrational.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Comparing gambling to cigarettes and heroin is a terrible comparison. You won't become sick and start shaking while your entire body hurts when you don't gamble. You may be depressed or anxious if you don't gamble but that's the difference. It shows a complete lack of understanding to call them both irrational.

Gambling addiction is a social issue, the victims are generally the ppl closest to the addict. Whereas after a drug addict destroys their body, they can rehabilitate it still with a lot of effort. A gambler surrenders their future to the game when their addiction takes over, monies lost is lost forever.

LolClarkson*

Wow, this is why commentary from sports fans on an issue like this is useless. So many ignorant comments in this thread. Learn the difference between physical and mental addiction.

There is no difference according to some psychologists. Its like global warming and scientists

LolClarkson*

But the point is, the physical addiction starts the exact same way as the gambling addiction. Early on, every drug addict is in the "depressed or anxious " stage. Two years in, yes your body changes because you are physically doing something to your body. But they are both the same.

Both drug and gambling addicts spend all their money on their addiction. The same sin taxes are levied on cigarettes as gambling.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
But the point is, the physical addiction starts the exact same way as the gambling addiction. Early on, every drug addict is in the "depressed or anxious " stage. Two years in, yes your body changes because you are physically doing something to your body. But they are both the same.

Both drug and gambling addicts spend all their money on their addiction. The same sin taxes are levied on cigarettes as gambling.

No offense, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. There's a dramatic difference between a mental addiction (such as gambling) and a physical addiction such as alcohol/drugs where the blood brain barrier is compromised.

LolClarkson*

No offense, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. There's a dramatic difference between a mental addiction (such as gambling) and a physical addiction such as alcohol/drugs where the blood brain barrier is compromised.

Its all about a release of dopamine in the brain. For some people, the anticipation of a big win when they gamble releases dopamine. For some people, a rail of coke also releases dopamine. They are both doing the same thing in the brain.

They are not identical, but a "dramatic" difference is a huge over-statement.

Either way, its always the person that is the deciding factor. Some people can do any drug or vice and not get a wiff of addiction.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Its all about a release of dopamine in the brain. For some people, the anticipation of a big win when they gamble releases dopamine. For some people, a rail of coke also releases dopamine. They are both doing the same thing in the brain.

Either way, its always the person that is the deciding factor. Some people can do any drug or vice and not get a wiff of addiction.

No. They're really not doing the same thing at all. I don't think anyone has ever died coming down off of a mental addiction.

StringerBell

1) No it's not
2) No it's not

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
1) No it's not
2) No it's not

I suppose one might say that the action of the neurotransmitters and the changes in brain chemistry we observe in addicts doesn't in and of itself explain the entirety of addiction pathology but it's certainly safe to say that dopamine release has very much to do with it.

Can gambling addicts die from physical withdrawal? Well I imagine the coroner's report wouldn't come to that conclusion, though that's purely guesswork on my part. Can they die from the addiction? Sure, check the suicide rate. Of course there is a range of physical withdrawal symptoms and their severity amongst the different classes of abused substances and behaviours, alcohol being the most life threatening of them in that regard. But detectable changes in dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine etc. in a gambling addiction? Sure.

So it seems to me that while a term like 'mental' addiction isn't useless, it's a poor substitute for other more explicit descriptions of the physical and psychological action of addiction.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
No. They're really not doing the same thing at all. I don't think anyone has ever died coming down off of a mental addiction.

Nope..different feelings, same effect on the brain re: dopamine levels, but what effect that dopamine has on your brain and how it effects you physically varies from person to person so it's hard to compare or make a snap judgment really.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Why exactly?

The group is very anti-gay, and they believe Monteith promoted gay culture with his TV show. They have always done things like these, but this is the first time they plan to do something like this for such a high profile death. They probably just want the publicity.

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
The group is very anti-gay, and they believe Monteith promoted gay culture with his TV show. They have always done things like these, but this is the first time they plan to do something like this for such a high profile death. They probably just want the publicity.

Wow :shakehead

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
It's no Camden either. Just more of a blue collar crowd.

Medically speaking they are two very distinct afflictions.

Again, I suppose in some context this distinction is clinically useful say, as a way of qualifying aspects of treatment - withdrawal management, psychoeducation, cognitive behavioural therapy, concurrent disorder treatment, counselling, social/spiritual reconnection and whatnot. But I don't see it as valuable as a definition of addiction, only aspects of it's action.

LolClarkson*

I suppose one might say that the action of the neurotransmitters and the changes in brain chemistry we observe in addicts doesn't in and of itself explain the entirety of addiction pathology but it's certainly safe to say that dopamine release has very much to do with it.

Can gambling addicts die from physical withdrawal? Well I imagine the coroner's report wouldn't come to that conclusion, though that's purely guesswork on my part. Can they die from the addiction? Sure, check the suicide rate. Of course there is a range of physical withdrawal symptoms and their severity amongst the different classes of abused substances and behaviours, alcohol being the most life threatening of them in that regard. But detectable changes in dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine etc. in a gambling addiction? Sure.

So it seems to me that while a term like 'mental' addiction isn't useless, it's a poor substitute for other more explicit descriptions of the physical and psychological action of addiction.

That's why they don't have belconys in Las Vegas. Too much suicides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad