Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Heroin??

Oh Cory, you poor kid...

Well it is safer than alcohol when used correctly, he was probably smoking it so there would be no track marks though. Seems to be a very popular thing with hollywood types

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Well it is safer than alcohol when used correctly, he was probably smoking it so there would be no track marks though. Seems to be a very popular thing with hollywood types

Enjoying alcohol responsibly is clearly safer than any form of herion use. This sad story is a cautionary tale. It doesn't matter who you are, that stuff can kill you. Stay away from that evil ****.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Sorry to bump this but have to call BS on this, what is meant buy used correctly, since if alcohol is "used correctly" it is about as dangerous as eating peanuts.

Edit: wow great minds...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Enjoying alcohol responsibly is clearly safer than any form of herion use. This sad story is a cautionary tale. It doesn't matter who you are, that stuff can kill you. Stay away from that evil ****.

They are both inherently evil substances, but heroin is a bit more volatile in the addictive and lethal sense. Alcohol is very much up there in both categories though. The problem is there is less help readily available for a heroin addict than there is for a drunk, mainly because of the stigma surrounding heroin and the fact one of those people is branded a criminal and the other is not.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Very interested to hear what harm cannabis does to others. ^

Though I somewhat agree with the ranking of alcohol, the stats may be skewed because of how many people use it compared to heroin.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I don't know what will drive a successful young guy who according to reports is about to get married, into doing hard drugs like heroine? Seemed to have everything going for him from the outside. Maybe money and fame is not what its all cracked up to be? Or more likely that addiction is irrational, you still do it even when you have absolutely no reason to need it.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't know what will drive a successful young guy who according to reports is about to get married, into doing hard drugs like heroine? Seemed to have everything going for him from the outside. Maybe money and fame is not what its all cracked up to be? Or more likely that addiction is irrational, you still do it even when you have absolutely no reason to need it.

That's precisely what it is. That's where the term 'not even once comes from'.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
They are both inherently evil substances, but heroin is a bit more volatile in the addictive and lethal sense. Alcohol is very much up there in both categories though. The problem is there is less help readily available for a heroin addict than there is for a drunk, mainly because of the stigma surrounding heroin and the fact one of those people is branded a criminal and the other is not.

This word does not mean what you think it means.

EDIT: Addiction in the biological sense is not irrational. Engaging in addictive acts, particularly when one has an addictive personality is irrational though.

EDIT 2: "Enjoying alcohol responsibly is clearly safer than any form of herion use." Enjoying alcohol responsibly isn't possible for the majority of those on prescription drugs wherein the prescriptions are not designed to be ingested with alcohol. If I'm on a blood-thinner of any kind, and I enjoy alcohol "responsibly" I am still at a higher mortality risk than someone at a safe-injection site injecting heroin.

arsmaster*

People don't just do heroin because they feel bad and are wallowing in self pity. I hate topics like this on the internet, especially a sports board, but I'll weigh in.

People do drugs (heroin) to get high. The drug and the "high" are both addictive. The body craves the drug and the mind craves euphoria.

It doesn't take someone down and out to do that, it takes someone looking for a high. The ****** thing is that high is highly addictive (I've read only nicotine is more addictive) and the drug is very harmful to your body.

With alcohol consumption, your body will reject the alcohol often times before you OD or drink enough to become poisoned, with Heroin, it doesn't work like that. It's like snapping your fingers.

TV glorifies "shooting" drugs....Smoking heroin isn't glamourous, it's just safer.

Cory had been battling these demons for a long time, getting married, and being a celebrity doesn't make addiction or a search for a high go away, it almost makes it easier to get into.

It's sad that this young celebrity died so young, but he isn't the first and won't be the last. I just hope somehow this tragedy speaks to those young kids searching for their next high, and lets them know what can happen.

If it can happen to a TV star it can happen to Joe Blow from math class.

----

I also wonder about the detrimental effects of cannabis on others. What could they be, your buddy eating all the food in your kitchen?

The study even said they based it all on judgements....so basically throw that thing out the window, anyone can come up with conclusions like that.

arsmaster*

This word does not mean what you think it means.

EDIT: Addiction in the biological sense is not irrational. Engaging in addictive acts, particularly when one has an addictive personality is irrational though.

EDIT 2: "Enjoying alcohol responsibly is clearly safer than any form of herion use." Enjoying alcohol responsibly isn't possible for the majority of those on prescription drugs wherein the prescriptions are not designed to be ingested with alcohol. If I'm on a blood-thinner of any kind, and I enjoy alcohol "responsibly" I am still at a higher mortality risk than someone at a safe-injection site injecting heroin.

I'd say having a beer after work, no matter what medication you're taking is safer than shooting heroin. I'm pretty sure safe injection sites only provide a clean place and clean needles, I'm not so sure they moderate how much smack you're putting in your veins. (I could be wrong).

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Very interested to hear what harm cannabis does to others. ^

Though I somewhat agree with the ranking of alcohol, the stats may be skewed because of how many people use it compared to heroin.

For the point of speculation, in New Zealand (probably other countries too since NZ is more of a follower) The police use the term "Social harm" and use it to put a Monetary value on drug busts in relation to what the drugs would cost the state if sold.

as in

X pounds of cannabis would cost the country Y amount of dollars...

to speculate where the cost comes in I would guess, unemployment, drug counselling, loss of tax revenue, car crashes, doctors visits, marrage brake ups, etc etc.

not saying that is what that study is getting at...

as for meth being so little harm on others, perhaps the reason it is so low is that meth heads dont last long enough to harm others much :sarcasm:

arsmaster*

For the point of speculation, in New Zealand (probably other countries too since NZ is more of a follower) The police use the term "Social harm" and use it to put a Monetary value on drug busts in relation to what the drugs would cost the state if sold.

as in

X pounds of cannabis would cost the country Y amount of dollars...

to speculate where the cost comes in I would guess, unemployment, drug counselling, loss of tax revenue, car crashes, doctors visits, marrage brake ups, etc etc.

not saying that is what that study is getting at...

as for meth being so little harm on others, perhaps the reason it is so low is that meth heads dont last long enough to harm others much :sarcasm:

I'd say the biggest cost is policing. Don't forget to sign the petition : http://sensiblebc.ca/.

Even if you don't partake or don't agree, I bet you're tired of seeing your tax dollars go in to busting down a kid with doobie.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

So basically the harm is caused by not having the drug legalized and regulated? :laugh:

What a crooked world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad